HHN XXI Speculation

Mark M.

I don't know, I agree totally with Fallow, the icon is what separates HHN from other events, because there are many halloween events, but HHN and the icons make it different, gives it a face to the event, Even the Usher was nowhere in the adds or anything, he Still is one of my favorite icons, he totally made HHN better, is like that presence, that sadly Fear didn't have,

Also about the website, I think that my favorite website was 07 carnival of carnage, and 08 bloody mary, they were the Best HHN websites for me, both were pretty amazing, 09 was ok, 2010 was not bad but not not as good as the others

Don't get me wrong, I love the icons that A&D / Marketing created, but I hear that HHN's earlier years were pretty amazing even without the icons. I only got to experience one year without an icon (2004) and that year is still one of my overall favorite years that I have attended. I'm going to be excited no matter what they (A&D) come up with. :)

:)

Don't get me wrong, I love the icons that A&D / Marketing created, but I hear that HHN's earlier years were pretty amazing even without the icons. I only got to experience one year without an icon (2004) and that year is still one of my overall favorite years that I have attended. I'm going to be excited no matter what they (A&D) come up with. :)

Couldn't agree with you more. HHN with or without an icon is still awesome no matter what... :)

I think we need to face facts guys.

Regretfully, we have all been spoiled.

Spoiled by awsome icons, mind blowing backstories, incredible interactive websites-the works. No matter how amazing/stupendous the years without an icon were (which, while I wasn't lucky enough to go to a year like this, I'm sure they were as amazing as all the others years have been :D), there really isnt any going back.

A New Era wouldn't mean taking a step back in time, but a step forward. They're going to evolve the ideas they've had; going back to the way things once were ,while it would be interesting, wouldn't be effective for Universal. Black Mask hit the nail on the head when he said having icons is what really sets us apart. Taking away crutial elements from what the public has come to associate with the event, while it wouldn't phase us die-hards too much, might prove to be not-so-great in the way of the average joe going to the event on any given day.

Im not saying its a bad idea-I'm just not sure how likely it is.

Keep in mind part of 2004's allure was the gimmick of two parks... I didn't attend that year so I'm only speculating based on observation, but that year did happen to have some stellar houses and a very different vibe due to the "connecting" scare zones and the park's layout that through off your expectations, which collectively made up for the lack of a true icon (the asylum patient showed up more than The Usher or Fear, frankly). I'm just not sure a year without an icon... without such a game-changing gimmick like two parks... would feel like progress, much less a "new era of darkness."

HHN came damn close with producing a seamless psychotic world of myths, legends, and tales with Bloody Mary in 08. Those who wished to seek it partook in an emotional journey through Mary's psyche, which shaped the event and justified everything there. Meanwhile, the general public who didn't really give a damn still had a face to talk about and shriek at & excellent houses/zones to enjoy. When A&D produces something like Jack or Bloody Mary, everyone wins.

Yay, im gonna start talking again...sometimes :rolleyes:

A New Era wouldn't mean taking a step back in time, but a step forward.

Exactly!

Now things that have been talked about, as far as having an icon...or not. We generally seemed focused on the back story more than anything else. I for one prefer having an Icon, and universal has done wonderful jobs of creating and presenting them to us. But we crave a storyline. Icon or no icon, that's what would make us happy. We nit pick. They give us a crappy icon with an amazing back story, we are happy, but eh...wtf icon? They give us an amazing icon...less than pleasing back story. So give us a great story and event that works well together as a whole, and we'd surely be satisfied right now with no icon.

You think back to Bloody Mary. They surely scored on both here, great icon...great story...but then of course, she lacked presence in the park. As well as her house mostly being disliked.

We have many exciting months ahead of us to figure out just what A New Era will bring. And im looking forward to reading everything posted here as the year develops. Oh the excitement.

A couple of pages back I made the comment that I think that A&D wont have an icon this year and now it's a big hype. It sounds reasonable when you think about it. The past couple of years have been real big, especially last year. It would make since that they would have a year with just an overall theme.

I mean, they COULD I just feel it would be a step back for them. I dont think HHN is willing to give up one of the biggest components of it's events. We as fans would go either way, but it would definitelty effect the general public.

I just cant see it happening, no offense :/

It's been quite a while since I've been active. It's nice to see some speculation on this years event.

As for the no icon idea, I like it. I think it'd be nice to just have an awesome theme with great houses and scarezones. These past couple years, the icons really haven't been that relevant. As for the ones who say the icons bring in crowds, I bed to differ. I always ask my friends if they know who the icon is, and they never know. The only time they did know was when Bloody Marry was around, but she was so irrelevant at the event itself that it didn't matter. During Ripped from the Silver Screen, people just said that the theme was movies and that there wasn't an icon. I tend to think the general public don't know what the icon is most of the time these past few years.

It's been quite a while since I've been active. It's nice to see some speculation on this years event.

As for the no icon idea, I like it. I think it'd be nice to just have an awesome theme with great houses and scarezones. These past couple years, the icons really haven't been that relevant. As for the ones who say the icons bring in crowds, I bed to differ. I always ask my friends if they know who the icon is, and they never know. The only time they did know was when Bloody Marry was around, but she was so irrelevant at the event itself that it didn't matter. During Ripped from the Silver Screen, people just said that the theme was movies and that there wasn't an icon. I tend to think the general public don't know what the icon is most of the time these past few years.

People knew who Bloody Mary was because they marketed her properly - she was EVERYWHERE. And I still disagree with the sentiment that Mary didn't have a presence at the event... she cameoed in most houses (and even some zones), she had a house to call her own, tons of merchandise, and of course the giant "mirror" screen at the front of the park. The general public knew Bloody Mary because Universal made certain they WOULD know Bloody Mary.

As for 2009... I mean, of course the general public didn't know who the icon was. They didn't advertise poor Julian, the main push was for Chucky/Jigsaw/Wolfman, which I still feel was unnecessary given the prior success of an original icon presenting 3 movie icons (see 2007). Julian did have a great presence at the event (with the exception of merchandise, bah humbug), however, and many people I know knew the icon was an usher after attending the event (just not before).

The success of an icon really depends on how willing Universal is to push it. If they go all out, guns blazing with the marketing machine, we'll get Bloody Mary - if they hardly make an effort, no one will know who the icon is. If there's no movie icons, and no original icon, it seems like it'd be very tough to meet expectations (for both the general public and the fans).

A personification of death has potential if they keep it from being too cliche. We shall see.

you know i got to thinkin..... no icon... cool. maby they will have just one amazing over all storyline. BUT THEN i thought what if they dont have just ONE icon but MULTIPLE icons. maby one for each scarezone? maby a story line where its a whole new literal world and each is an own horrific continent with its own ruler of madness. or somethin like that.... opinions?

A couple of pages back I made the comment that I think that A&D wont have an icon this year and now it's a big hype. It sounds reasonable when you think about it. The past couple of years have been real big, especially last year. It would make since that they would have a year with just an overall theme.

I kinda agree. It's been 7 years since they just used an overall theme instead of an icon so I think it's about that time to have another one...

I think the effect of marketing with Bloody Mary might be over appreciated. Bloody Mary was widely known because, frankly, we had all heard of Bloody Mary in elementary school. From the GP perspective, all Universal really did was take a well-known urban legend and toss it on a billboard. They made her look awesome, but if you asked those same members of the GP who loved Bloody Mary who Mary Agana was, they would have no clue.

I have had to explain who the icons were to so many friends who regularly attend the event its become nauseating. The first question I am always asked is, "What's the theme?" Not, "Who is the icon?" "What is their story?" It always is focused on the tag-line.

In all actuality, this could be the billboard...

DrinkBillboard.jpg

And they would probably still make enough money to make it worth their wild.

It's simple, the GP generally just comes to drink and say they came.

Ah yes-the ever important alcohol theme.

How could we all be so blind as to miss it! lol I think that would DEFINITELY bring in the GP with no problem XD Not that they don't already stagger around drunk as it is lol

But you know, on the subject of people not knowing who Mary Agana is, I don't that really falls into the catagory of them not caring about an icon. Mary Agana was a crutial element to the backstory, which, regrefully, is something the GP knows nothing about. But most of the people I spoke with that year knew BM was the icon and were excited for her.

Then again, alot of that has to do with the markerting. 08 had a hell of a marketing campaign; I dont know about YOU guys, but those BM billboards were off the chain!!

Thats soemthing I would like to see return this year: bad ass marketing. Last year was eh and 09....well.....i would see a billboard with the movie icons maybe once or twice on the drive to Orlando.

Ok i am new to all hhn i only went last year and i just seen the billboards for 09

i just have a few questions that i hope yas can answer for me

1 When do uni normally start releasing stuff about this event

2 Was last years the biggest of all as in there was more houses, scarezones and shows

3 and is there anything they have released about the event so far

hope to hear back

thank you

Nice for you to join us at HNN Ross! One, it usually depends when Universal starts on the project again. Things will usually start to pop up around August. Two,it was a usual amount of scarezones, houses, and shows. Eight houses, about six scarezones, and two shows overall. And for your last question, not at all. All we have to ride on for now is that we are now entering a new age of darkness.So that leaves us with a lot to speculate on!

Ok i am new to all hhn i only went last year and i just seen the billboards for 09

i just have a few questions that i hope yas can answer for me

1 When do uni normally start releasing stuff about this event

2 Was last years the biggest of all as in there was more houses, scarezones and shows

3 and is there anything they have released about the event so far

hope to hear back

thank you

Welcome to HNN! :)

they usually release little by little, the site starts updating little by little, Sometimes people that know stuff will give little hints, And when construction starts sometimes we get a few pics from fans here, Is really exciting, the anticipation builds like crazy, as for the scarezones and houses, it was the usual,

about the event being released, nothing really we are just speculating, there was a clue of next years event in the Catacombs, but we still dont know for sure

Thanks lads for the replys

im from ireland so i havent a clue about much of the people involved so thanks all

1 more thing i was just wondering if they would use ioa because i say a scarezone in harry potter would be very good, but i doubt they would

would anyone else be interested or would like it to be in ioa

Well, for a few years Halloween Horror Nights was based in OIA due to renovations at Universal Studios. From the view of wanting HHN at Islands is that I would find it very interesting considering I started attending back in 2007. But overall there is more room at Universal Studios, which suits me perfectly.

Hey Ross!! Welcome to HHN :] Nice to have a new comer! Ireland huh?? I've always wanted to go there; I hear it's gorgeous!!

Anyway, as for HHN at IOA was done in the past but there's been a fair share of complications. (Such as the Suess Landing area being all but hands off due to Dr. Suess's widow's unwillingness to allow Universal let it become something scary. She says she didnt want them tainting her husband's work by making it anything less than childfriendly.)

And as for a scarezone in Harry Potter, yes it would be amazing, but JK Rowling said she didn't want it used in HHN :/ Regretfully.

All these things make HHn at IOA a pretty faint possibility.

What I find ironic is that the islands were kind of the birth place for most of the icons, and was held there for more than a couple of years, but, It looks like HHN will never be at the Islands again, specially with Potter not being able to be used,

What I find ironic is that the islands were kind of the birth place for most of the icons, and was held there for more than a couple of years, but, It looks like HHN will never be at the Islands again, specially with Potter not being able to be used,

Never say never. They will just have to pick and choose areas to be used when it does return back to IOA. ;)

I thought i heard something about a size issue with IOA. Something about increasing crowds and how IOA wouldn't be able to handle the amount of people as well as the Studious can. I could be totally wrong. I just thought I had heard someone mention that.

I was one who had believed that HHN would never return to IOA, but last year I learned from the guys at A&D that they do in fact continue to look at IOA for future events. When the time is right, when the overall concept fits, HHN will someday return to IOA.