HHN XXI Speculation

Mark M.

I would have rather seen them flesh out a story about Fear. Like maybe he was some sort of fallen angel or tortured soul who used to be human and was forced to become this harbinger of fear. I think that's what I expected from them and instead he was very one-dimensional. Here's hoping they go back to their elaborate back stories.

I would have rather seen them flesh out a story about Fear. Like maybe he was some sort of fallen angel or tortured soul who used to be human and was forced to become this harbinger of fear. I think that's what I expected from them and instead he was very one-dimensional. Here's hoping they go back to their elaborate back stories.

Wow, when I first heard the concept of Fear I really just excepted it. But when I read your post I started thinking about why they didn't have a backstory. I think this is the only "Icon" that doesn't have an elaborate backstory. I hope uni steps up their game this year a keep with the backstory, it's more fun for the guests and them i would say.

I still think Fear is the worst Icon I've ever seen in HHN, anything they do from then on would be an improvement, part of the reason he is the worst is because he was very underused, No Fear house or anything, I mean, he was barely there, and his costume sucks, so anything really would be an improvement,

If that is your criteria for a HHN Icon, then Eyegore was worse than Fear by a long shot. Eyegore wasn't even a costume. Just a gremlin on a poster.

As a whole, he felt underdevloped. I didn't hate him I just didn't like the use of him. Sure his head looked a little phallic and the flesh tones were odd but he just wasn't utilized right.

I really think he should have hung back in the shadows, possible been seen in the houses as glimpses. (like BM) It was just weird to see him hanging out on stilts. Even if he would have been on a throne and they sacrificed guests to him it would have been far better. It just seemed like he had no muscle (or malice) behind the threats.

When I first thought of Fear... I thought yeah he had a physical form but he wouldn't stay in it. The commercial kinda of portrayed him as smoke or a shadow that was everywhere and nowhere at once... Like he could apear in the physical but he more often than not appeared in the mind of his victim.

Edited by JWFearman

See, this is what I mean, your post alone made Fear sound better, that would have been really cool actually,

If that is your criteria for a HHN Icon, then Eyegore was worse than Fear by a long shot. Eyegore wasn't even a costume. Just a gremlin on a poster.

LOL that's true actually, that was worst

When I first thought of Fear... I thought yeah he had a physical form but he wouldn't stay in it. The commercial kinda of portrayed him as smoke or a shadow that was everywhere and nowhere at once... Like he could apear in the physical but he more often than not appeared in the mind of his victim.

I thought exactly the same, I thought Fear was either going to take over the Other Icons in the houses or something, I thought he was going to be in control of the Icons or other scareactors,

The reason I said his costume sucks is because I expected his whole body to be roots, The head was indeed Scary and messed up, the teeth were horrible In a good way, his arm was really cool, but I really did not expected to see Fear's soft looking shaved chest, that's what made me dislike Fear a little, I wished his entire body looked the way his head looked, that's what I was expecting when i saw his head for the first time.

he was part human and they never explain why, He was becoming roots, but, again no story, I would have liked fear to have a consistent look, to me it felt like his costume was all over the place, part demon, part roots, part human, weird shaped head, the branded numbers, it didn't feel consistent, I know it wasn't but, it almost felt unfinished, i dont know...

About the speculation, Hopefully he comes back soon with a back story and maybe his body is burned now? or his transformation is complete or something

Edited by black7mask

There was alot of potential there for Fear. I agree, if they had maybe expanded on his backstory (instead of just saying hes been around ofr the past 19 years and all that jazz) or if they had even put him physically in the house (Even though, yeah yeah "fear is in every house!" I would have loved to have seen him lurking around the corners....i mean yeah, that would have meant taking him off the stilts and all....but still. you get the picture.)

I still feel Universal seriously dropped the ball with Fear -- maybe if the did a little re-tooling....then we could talk about seeing him again :P

Yeah just like what they said in the commercial for HHN XX. (Lurking in the Shadows) It would have been cool seeing glimpses of him in all the houses. Just enough to let us know that he was there...

yeah, anything in the houses would have been cool, Even a Shadow painted on the walls, or, for example, in LT Instead of the storyteller, they could have an image of fear, or have fear at the end of Hallow'd past,

I agree I expected him to be literally lurking in the shadows of every house and scarezone. If not all at least one or 2 of the houses. They could have done so much more with him. His torso should have looked like his face. They should have had a better back story. I feel Uni really dropped the ball when it came to Fear as the icon. It almost felt like they changed ideas at the last minute for some reason and just threw Fear in as a replacement icon.

His torso should have looked like his face.

It almost felt like they changed ideas at the last minute for some reason and just threw Fear in as a replacement icon.

exactly, his chest should have looked like his head, I would love to hear an explanation about that I mean, they made a soft looking torso, they could have At least painted like if it was burned, or something, at least paint it brown, but, fear looked pretty silly IMO, But, maybe there was a reason to make fear the way they did? again, no backstory, so, This is actually weird because Fear is supposed to be the King of icons, yet, We know Nothing about him, we know more about Cindy and Eddie than Fear, and they never made it as icons, kinda interesting, That almost makes me sure that fear is coming, maybe really soon

I also agree about the Change of ideas in the last minute

I didn't know Cindy was supposed to be the Icon either. I think they would have made fans a lot happier if they would have stuck to that plan.

Yes you are right, it would have made the fans (Us) more happy, but they were looking for a general public outcome. Some people just come to the event and want to be scared, they don't really care about who the icon is. They just go to the event for fun. We go to the event for fun too, but we like the history and background of the icon and what is going on with the theme of the year.

I hope all that makes since

Yes you are right, it would have made the fans (Us) more happy, but they were looking for a general public outcome. Some people just come to the event and want to be scared, they don't really care about who the icon is. They just go to the event for fun. We go to the event for fun too, but we like the history and background of the icon and what is going on with the theme of the year.

I hope all that makes since

i know what ya mean.i also go for fun no matter who is the icon,but it is also nice to have the event have some sorta backstory.

Black7mask, I believe the reason they decided not to use her was because the idea of "21 years of Fear" (aka Fear being the icon the FOLLOWING year) would have just been silly. At least that's what I heard. Unfortunately I didnt get to attend the VIP lounge :/ so I could be wrong. If I am, anybody feel free to correct me :D

I would have loved Cindy as the icon over Fear, just like I'm sure plenty of you would have. But we have to remember, we're the die-hard fans lol The majority of HHN goers don't read into the stories and such like we do. Hell, I bet half the people in the park last year didn't even go onto the website to check out the scarezones and such before attending. Like it's been said: people go for the scares, not the backstory. Fear (or at least the concept of Fear) most likely would have attracted alot more people then Cindy (even though WE all know how badass she truely is ;P)

I do hope we see Cindy again though. I mean....it's possible.....

Black7mask, I believe the reason they decided not to use her was because the idea of "21 years of Fear" (aka Fear being the icon the FOLLOWING year) would have just been silly. At least that's what I heard. Unfortunately I didnt get to attend the VIP lounge :/ so I could be wrong. If I am, anybody feel free to correct me :D

I heard and read the very same thing. Uni did say that 20 years of fear just sounded better. So you are right on that aspect...:)

All of the mysterious literary references we have been getting lately has reminded me of something I noticed last year but kept to myself.

Consider the mysteriously sinister person of the new head of Legendary Truth, Dr. Gabriel Fell. In the second chapter of the classic horror novel Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson we are introduced to Hyde when he encounters the lawyer Utterson. Utterson's reaction to this is as follows (emphasis added):

...he had a displeasing smile, he had borne himself to the lawyer with a sort of murderous mixture of timidity and boldness, and he spoke with a husky, whispering and somewhat broken voice; all these were points against him, but not all of these together could explain the hitherto unknown disgust, loathing and fear with which Mr. Utterson regarded him. "There must be something else," said the perplexed gentleman. "There is something more, if I could find a name for it. God bless me, the man seems hardly human! Something troglodytic, shall we say? or can it be the old story of Dr. Fell? or is it the mere radiance of a foul soul that thus transpires through, and transfigures, its clay continent?"

This is in turn a reference to a little rhyme by the 17th Century British satirist Tom Brown:

I do not love thee, Dr Fell,

The reason why I cannot tell;

But this I know, and know full well,

I do not love thee, Dr Fell.

And finally in the novel Hannibal by Thomas Harris and in the film adaptation of the same name, when Dr. Hannibal Lecter is is on the lam in Florence, Italy he uses the alias Dr. Fell.

All of the mysterious literary references we have been getting lately has reminded me of something I noticed last year but kept to myself.

Consider the mysteriously sinister person of the new head of Legendary Truth, Dr. Gabriel Fell. In the second chapter of the classic horror novel Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson we are introduced to Hyde when he encounters the lawyer Utterson. Utterson's reaction to this is as follows (emphasis added):

This is in turn a reference to a little rhyme by the 17th Century British satirist Tom Brown:

And finally in the novel Hannibal by Thomas Harris and in the film adaptation of the same name, when Dr. Hannibal Lecter is is on the lam in Florence, Italy he uses the alias Dr. Fell.

I don't know where you store all that info, Dr Jimmy. Can I get an upgrade to match yours?

That is fascinating! I don't know why exactly, but it's thrilling. Thrilling in that the references are there AND that you found them out.

Can I grow up to be just like you?????

Mae

Agreed. I officially want to be like Dr. Jimmy when I grow up lol

Being a big fan of the Hannibal series, I was surprised when I hadn't put the two together before. Wouldn't THAT be an interesting concept??? However, I won't lie when I say a Dr. Jeykl and Mr. Hyde sort of icon would be INCREDIBLE. It reminds me of a Bloody Mary sort of year- a story we all know (and fear) so well has come to life and is wrecking havoc on life as we know it. I think I might be in love with the idea.....

or even yet....a year ALL based on different literary evils....all run by an icon-an evil writer perhaps? Or would that be too clique? Oooh or an evil librarian!! LOL (I just pictured a fat version of the storyteller with her big finger pressed to her lips, telling you the library is no place for noise as you scream in agony..........LMAO.....ick....I'm not sure if that's funny or kinda creepy )