HHN XXI Speculation

Mark M.

Creepy, like almost too nice, then insane mood swing into a terrorizing creature. That would rock my world. Split personality disorder on an icon would be a cool effect, especially if that was represented in a house.

Come to my house, and meet my daughter!!

I like the idea of the librarian. How much fun could that be? Someone dies and gets a big red "WITHDRAWN" stamped on their forehead.

Or, maybe something like this:

ShhhDontDisturbTheUndead-1.jpg

And then there's this awesome link:

I want this job.

Mae

@ Jimmy LOL

That is an awesome idea too. A lot of movies and books have touched on the idea of art coming to life but I can't recall a movie that was specifically about a painter who paints things into life.

There was ink heart where they wrote things to life (and an awesome book series by Ted Dekker that does the same)

There was an Amazing Stories episode where a man loses his wife and is able to paint her back into existence.

Oh, and don't forget that Amazing Stories set in WW2 with the cartoonist trapped in the gunner under the plane! I think it was called The Mission, and it had Keifer Sutherland and Kevin Costner. Not horror, per se, but remarkable and defininitely inspiring.

Mae

Apparently Emeric also has a youtube account.

http://www.youtube.com/user/emericbelascoHHN

Don't know if this is the same guy or not. Begs the question: If this guy really is a HHN insider what is he doin with all the guests??? Did he maybe have someone else go out and videotape for him???? And then there's the possibility that this is not the same Emeric. What do you guys think??? and BTW, love all the speculation on here (I'm partial to the idea about Death, Darkness, or a Jekyll/Hyde-esque character as the Icon).

Whether or not this YouTube channel was started by him the videos are by the same guy. He has been posting these on his qik site for the past two years and they initially appear as live streams.

http://qik.com/emericbelasco

I do not understand your question, there is no reason why a member of A&D cannot go into the park during the event and take videos. Or for that matter, during the Employee Preview.

Oh, and don't forget that Amazing Stories set in WW2 with the cartoonist trapped in the gunner under the plane! I think it was called The Mission, and it had Keifer Sutherland and Kevin Costner. Not horror, per se, but remarkable and defininitely inspiring.

Mae

Stephen kings Duma Key is pretty close. The main character has the ability to paint things into existence or out of existence due to the goddess persephone manipulating his mind after a brain injury.

Stephen kings Duma Key is pretty close. The main character has the ability to paint things into existence or out of existence due to the goddess persephone manipulating his mind after a brain injury.

Do not forget King's short story 'The Word Processor of the Gods".

Mae

How could I forget that one! It was one of the shorts in the movie.

I heard a rumor!

Not that it's all that much news, but still, a rumor!!

3-D house for 2011?

Mae

I don't really like 3-D houses. Even if they try to be scary, it still comes off as a fun house :/

Come to my house, and meet my daughter!!

I like the idea of the librarian. How much fun could that be? Someone dies and gets a big red "WITHDRAWN" stamped on their forehead.

Or, maybe something like this:

ShhhDontDisturbTheUndead-1.jpg

And then there's this awesome link:

I want this job.

Mae

I could see a librarian as an icon. They would be like The Storyteller or Mary Agana. That would be cool if they linked all the women and made them sisters. Then maybe intertwine (Spelling??) their backstories. I don't know, just a thought.

Whether or not this YouTube channel was started by him the videos are by the same guy. He has been posting these on his qik site for the past two years and they initially appear as live streams.

http://qik.com/emericbelasco

I do not understand your question, there is no reason why a member of A&D cannot go into the park during the event and take videos. Or for that matter, during the Employee Preview.

If I'm not mistaken, I have seen a couple of people on A&D filming on various nights throughout the event, including employee preview!

Instead of a writer how about an artist who paints or draws awful things into existence?

The idea of a writer whose stories come to life is pretty much exactly what the Storyteller was with Terra Cruentes. The story of the Terra Queen was the story she was telling come to life. As nifty as a librarian or writer would be as an icon, they would literally be a slight variation on "Grandma."

The artist idea... heh... the original rumor I heard for the 2003 icon (the director) was that he was going to be an animator who created all the characters for HHN. I heard that concept during 2002, and firmly believe that it was the original plan, but Marketing/A&D decided to go a little darker with a snuff director.

Simply put, I don't believe these ideas are new, and rather believe A&D would be attempting to move away from such literal concepts. When you get an icon with a "profession" you immediately limit what the design and feel of the event. Jack will always be associated with "dark humor" and the circus. The Usher will always be associated with "scary movies," along with the Director. The Storyteller will always be associated with "scary stories." The Caretaker is the "broadest" of the icons because I don't believe the GP knows or understands his story, but doesn't really embody a specific idea. He just has an amazingly developed story and canon. The effectiveness in Bloody Mary wasn't the specifically her backstory (though it was with the fans), it was the simple fact that she embodied a simple, graspable, and most importantly broad, idea; "Urban Legends." She didn't embody something literal, but something accessible and varied. Fear, from a marketing perspective, did the same. Fate probably would have, aside from it being so esoteric. Death, Faith, shoot, even Politics (I've always wanted a possessed politician/antichrist-esque figure who used HHN as a "campaign rally"), the Unknown, History, are broader topics than "Movies," or "Stories," because they allow more variety in how they are approached. I think that is what the new era of darkness is intended to provide; more variety in scares by focusing on more inclusive themes.

The idea of a writer whose stories come to life is pretty much exactly what the Storyteller was with Terra Cruentes. The story of the Terra Queen was the story she was telling come to life. As nifty as a librarian or writer would be as an icon, they would literally be a slight variation on "Grandma."

The artist idea... heh... the original rumor I heard for the 2003 icon (the director) was that he was going to be an animator who created all the characters for HHN. I heard that concept during 2002, and firmly believe that it was the original plan, but Marketing/A&D decided to go a little darker with a snuff director.

Simply put, I don't believe these ideas are new, and rather believe A&D would be attempting to move away from such literal concepts. When you get an icon with a "profession" you immediately limit what the design and feel of the event. Jack will always be associated with "dark humor" and the circus. The Usher will always be associated with "scary movies," along with the Director. The Storyteller will always be associated with "scary stories." The Caretaker is the "broadest" of the icons because I don't believe the GP knows or understands his story, but doesn't really embody a specific idea. He just has an amazingly developed story and canon. The effectiveness in Bloody Mary wasn't the specifically her backstory (though it was with the fans), it was the simple fact that she embodied a simple, graspable, and most importantly broad, idea; "Urban Legends." She didn't embody something literal, but something accessible and varied. Fear, from a marketing perspective, did the same. Fate probably would have, aside from it being so esoteric. Death, Faith, shoot, even Politics (I've always wanted a possessed politician/antichrist-esque figure who used HHN as a "campaign rally"), the Unknown, History, are broader topics than "Movies," or "Stories," because they allow more variety in how they are approached. I think that is what the new era of darkness is intended to provide; more variety in scares by focusing on more inclusive themes.

I guess it all just depends on what you like. I'm sure going with a broader spectrum and having a common theme instead of an icon may appeal to some but I really love the event when it surrounds a figure with an extensive backstory. I was so excited for this year but that teaser page, website, and the event itself just didn't feel as immersive as it did in the past. I think that you can still be creative without sacrificing the story.

Librarians do not write or create, merely present what has already been written. If s\he chooses to present the works of Poe, or Stevenson, or any number of other authors, those worlds would envelope us and we would be forced to follow the paths set in those pages. S\He would be more like the Usher than the Director or the Storyteller; a keeper or steward that holds those things safely until they are needed. It would be a far-reaching idea that could encompass more than just one year.

When you start using words like 'anti-Christ', people get crazy. Public relations would more than likely (probably already have) nixed anything leaning in that direction. Although that Westboro nutcase sure does beg to be 'HHN-ed'...in the bloodiest way possible.

Mae

Like Legacy said, themes and icons are difficult to create. The scarezones and houses must be similar to the theme and icon, but not all in the same. For example, a ghost town theme: it would be a great house, but couldn't be distributed throughout 14 attractions. The best over arching theme I can think of was Bloody May and Reflections of Fear. You also don't want there to be similarity between the attractions/theme/icon; Twenty Years of Fear comes to mind. It had a "definite" icon, but the attractions were all too unalike.

But I'm afraid if we have a horror literature/librarian theme, it would become too reminiscing from Tales of Terror/Storyteller and Reflections of Fear/Bloody Mary.

It's hard thing to do.......

Edited by The Director of Horror

On the subject of whether or not HHN should go the route of 04 and opt for no icon, i would have to disagree. I think the icons have proven to be too much of a crowd pleaser/money bringer in the past. The icon draws people in, I think. Yeah, alot of people will never know the backstory or anything like that, but it's a face people can associate with event. It gives all the houses a sense of unity and it gives them a theme to work with. If it were me, I would keep the icon. I'll go either way lol but I just love my icons :D

and as for the idea of writers/librarians/artists/etc. being rehashed and/or variations of people like the storyteller: remember when Julian was introduced and alot of people were quick to compare him to the director? Julian proved himself to be his own entity, just like any other icon would :] (PS I like that idea of an anitmator; glad they went with the director though!)

The thing is when it comes to comparing the idea of the librarian or a writer to the storyteller or bloody mary (remembering this is all still speculation of course), I will admit the librarian would be VERY similar. However, with the writer theory, you could have the event centered around the stories the writer has written. In 05, the event was centered around one story (a very good one at that). So while it would be similar, it would still be different. Im just saying: it's possible. ;p Universal is filled with all sorts of creative people; I mean, come on, they've used zombies tons of times and almost always bring it to us looking as new as possible. lol

I'd say going the route of classic icon years is a good way to go about it: have an icon with a good backstory that you can plaster on the ads and merchandise and give him/her a house, maybe a show if you can spare the room, and make everything else unrelated.

With creating an entire world like 2005, you eventually start having trouble making EVERYTHING fit the theme. 2005 tried to link every house and scarezone together in the same world and they still had two houses (Cold Blind Terror and Where Evil Hides) that were unrelated to Terra Cruentes, not to mention Jack and his fence maze from peak nights. Eventually you run out of ideas. Not to mention that the Universal buildings are either warehouses, city/town buildings, or extremely themed show buildings. While IOA had the advantage of jungles and medieval theming for part of the event, New York is the only USF area that could be easily themed to a city.

By giving the icon his/her time in the limelight with a house and possibly a show and plastering him/her all over the advertising, you give the icon of the event good representation while allowing for a variety of ideas with little to restrict you.

lol there's so much they can do along the lines of some sort of evil artist (just....no evil muscians please xD)

Artists, Writers...those sort of things :P

Hell, there could even be an evil comic book artist!! (cue dramatic music lol)

That just reminds me of the Awful horrible Freddy scene in a movie where he goes to kill someone in a comic book, <_<

I heard a rumor!

Not that it's all that much news, but still, a rumor!!

3-D house for 2011?

Mae

I don't really like 3-D houses. Even if they try to be scary, it still comes off as a fun house :/

The Good Thing about a 3D house, IS that It could be the "Fun" house of this Year!!! I would Love that! :D really, I would love a new 3D house, I really liked the one in 07, I really wish they did house of the 1000 corpses here, but I think, for the funny house of the year a 3D would be really neat!

about Death not being the Grim reaper, what about something like this:

KnEi1.gif

I mean We have Chance already, so a hot dark Icon would be a good thing, maybe... i dont know

In my opinion including another's, I think Death has nothing to do with this year. Last year's saying was, "A New Age of Darkness" right? I think that clue in Catacombs may have been misread and most likely means "A Death of an era." With that in mind, ever since 2000 we have had icons for every year nonstop except 2004. We may be seeing a year with no icon.

Could this personification of death possibly be the Tree of Death - (The Halloween Tree) - [sleepy Hollow Tree] - {Poking Fun at Disney's "Tree of Life"} ?

Does this possibly mean The (Headless) Horseman is significant for XXI ?!?!?!

(I sure hope so!)

We were told to look for Death (but not in an obvious form). Could this/he be it?

Edited by The Director of Horror

Could this personification of death possibly be the Tree of Death - (The Halloween Tree) - [sleepy Hollow Tree] - {Poking Fun at Disney's "Tree of Life"} ?

Does this possibly mean The (Headless) Horseman is significant for XXI ?!?!?!

(I sure hope so!)

We were told to look for Death (but not in an obvious form). Could this/he be it?

As much I would love for the Headless Horseman to return, I wouldn't get my hopes real high up on that. Headless Horseman, I think, has been used two times (2002) "Scary Tales II" and (2008) "American Gothic", so somebody correct me if I'm wrong. With that said, I don't see him returning in any form. I've had a conversation with a friend of mine recently that we are not likely to expect any "personfication" of Death. We were talking about the readings in Catacombs: Black Death Rising could imply the fact that "This is the Death of an Era," meaning an era without Icons. This could mean that we could be returning to HHN's earlier years (pre-2000), when there were no true icons that A&D / Marketing created.

In my opinion including another's, I think Death has nothing to do with this year. Last year's saying was, "A New Age of Darkness" right? I think that clue in Catacombs may have been misread and most likely means "A Death of an era." With that in mind, ever since 2000 we have had icons for every year nonstop except 2004. We may be seeing a year with no icon.

I know you might be right, it sounds like that, but, i think I would miss having an icon, I dont know, I mean, I dislike fear a lot but I will say, IT would suck if we didnt even had fear in 2010,

So even though I criticize him a lot, No Icon would suck even more, I've never been at HHN without an icon, my first time was 06, so i dont know how it is, but, Im not sure i would like it,

I wonder what the GP think or if they will even care that there's no icon....

As much I would love for the Headless Horseman to return, I wouldn't get my hopes real high up on that. Headless Horseman, I think, has been used two times (2002) "Scary Tales II" and (2008) "American Gothic", so somebody correct me if I'm wrong. With that said, I don't see him returning in any form. I've had a conversation with a friend of mine recently that we are not likely to expect any "personfication" of Death. We were talking about the readings in Catacombs: Black Death Rising could imply the fact that "This is the Death of an Era," meaning an era without Icons. This could mean that we could be returning to HHN's earlier years (pre-2000), when there were no true icons that A&D / Marketing created.

If you capitalize "Death," you make it a pronoun, make it special and identifiable (and personify it). It's not about "misreading" a capitalized word. I stared at the thing for a full three minutes and read the whole paragraph twice. If it's the death of an era, than it would simply be the death of an era. That's why the Boston Massacre was a massacre, the Black Plague was a plague, and Fear was the personification of fear. It's simple grammar, which is something I have always been impressed by A&D's grasp of. Capitalizing a single word would have been very intentional, and when you throw a spotlight on the paragraph (which spoke about endings and new beginnings), it becomes something to consider carefully.

Again, I'm speculating. I'm not expecting to be right. When we know Marketing is fully capable to changing the entire concept at the last second, it's all just shrugs to me.

I know you might be right, it sounds like that, but, i think I would miss having an icon, I dont know, I mean, I dislike fear a lot but I will say, IT would suck if we didnt even had fear in 2010,

So even though I criticize him a lot, No Icon would suck even more, I've never been at HHN without an icon, my first time was 06, so i dont know how it is, but, Im not sure i would like it,

I wonder what the GP think or if they will even care that there's no icon....

Breaking Point is one of my favorites. The lack of an icon didn't hurt to event any to me. They still had a compelling website (it was the first one that really did the slow reveal), and a strong thematic concept. And the commercial is still one of my favorites ever. You don't have to have an icon for a good event, and maybe that's what everyone is forgetting. It's fun to look at the icons as the crux of the event, but they have had more years without them then they have had with. What makes the event effective is the scarezones and houses. The "story," especially to the GP, is really superfluous.

I still find the icon to be one of the crucial elements that separates HHN from any other Halloween event. The extra effort A&D puts into carefully developing a plot & personality of a freakish character and the world that you enter... it's essential, in my opinion, and it lacked for XX as I explained in my lengthy review. The event has improved because the icons were introduced and more elaborate stories were created. To end the use of icons would only be a retrogression for HHN.

Moreover, I hope we see a better website this year. 2008's and 09's were great, XX was very disappointingly shallow. We know what they're capable of. You can accomplish a solid website for the general public while keeping the goodies & backstory for the hardcore fans.

I agree Fallow. I really want to see a good website this year. So far, nothing tops 08 and 09 in my book. Last year, even with all the build up, was a big let down for me. I love the intereaction, the stories, the clues, it's all so much fun to follow! Hopefully Universal will take the hint and give us something to sink our teeth into.

and LOL BlackMask...I remember that scene.....it's kind of hard to forget >.< lol

But in regards to what demonfalconking said, yes, we've noticed that too. I really do hope this year has something to do with literature.....the idea of getting to face off with somebody like Mr Hyde or Hannibal Lecter makes me wanna faint in excitement xD

I still find the icon to be one of the crucial elements that separates HHN from any other Halloween event. The extra effort A&D puts into carefully developing a plot & personality of a freakish character and the world that you enter... it's essential, in my opinion, and it lacked for XX as I explained in my lengthy review. The event has improved because the icons were introduced and more elaborate stories were created. To end the use of icons would only be a retrogression for HHN.

Moreover, I hope we see a better website this year. 2008's and 09's were great, XX was very disappointingly shallow. We know what they're capable of. You can accomplish a solid website for the general public while keeping the goodies & backstory for the hardcore fans.

I don't know, I agree totally with Fallow, the icon is what separates HHN from other events, because there are many halloween events, but HHN and the icons make it different, gives it a face to the event, Even the Usher was nowhere in the adds or anything, he Still is one of my favorite icons, he totally made HHN better, is like that presence, that sadly Fear didn't have,

Also about the website, I think that my favorite website was 07 carnival of carnage, and 08 bloody mary, they were the Best HHN websites for me, both were pretty amazing, 09 was ok, 2010 was not bad but not not as good as the others