Halloween Horror Nights 29 Speculation

Mark M.

20 hours ago, zombieman said:

I enjoyed the ending, because I got to leave the house and do fun things at HHN.

We are soul brothers LOL.... Purge/HDD was the worst thing since the Alice Cooper house. Complete waste of time. I did it once and was like BASTA!

Kinda off topic but did anyone else watch Hell Fest and miss HHN? I thought that was a cool movie and kept thinking this is like HHN if they let in 10% of what they usually let in!!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

We are soul brothers LOL.... Purge/HDD was the worst thing since the Alice Cooper house. Complete waste of time. I did it once and was like BASTA!

Kinda off topic but did anyone else watch Hell Fest and miss HHN? I thought that was a cool movie and kept thinking this is like HHN if they let in 10% of what they usually let in!!!

House was a complete waste of time. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

I saw Hell Fest during my trip to HHN, haha. Made for a fun little pre-game excursion to Cinemark.

Chaney Phantom of the Opera turns 90(!!!) next year. I can't imagine we wouldn't get Browning and that property in some aspect. A revitalized modernization of the Phantom's story similar to 2009's Drac & Frankenstein houses would greatly interest me, for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FaceBagman said:

I saw Hell Fest during my trip to HHN, haha. Made for a fun little pre-game excursion to Cinemark.

Chaney Phantom of the Opera turns 90(!!!) next year. I can't imagine we wouldn't get Browning and that property in some aspect. A revitalized modernization of the Phantom's story similar to 2009's Drac & Frankenstein houses would greatly interest me, for sure.

Well I hope this year we can get the UCM maze for our event and hopefully a standalone Phantom Of The Opera or maybe a UCM 2 maze next year, that would be awesome, I don't think they would make The Phantom Of The Opera a separate house, since they do want to pay a homage to all the monsters together. 

2 hours ago, TheShape1031 said:

House was a complete waste of time. 

2 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

I think it was very rushed, HDD was too repetitive and The First Purge every time I had a run through in the house barely had scareactors sometimes. It's probably obvious that we might end up getting another Horrors Of Blumhouse maze and that HDD2U might be either shared or probably exclusive to Hollywood while we probably get Unfriended and Truth or Dare or two other different ips. Hellfest definitely has that good feel for a horror maze, they could give it the same treatment as how Carnival Graveyard was like with the facade working well, there was already a maze for it but the maze wasn't well received I guess, so I don't think Universal will touch it but who knows what the future holds. 

On 1/9/2019 at 2:20 PM, ZombieTaco said:

Does anyone think Jigsaw or Final Destination are possible? What about Pet Sematary?

Jigsaw was featured in the SAW house back at 27 each room was a nod to each movie while one or two scenes were nods to the recent film. Final Destination, I don't think they'd make it happen, I mean there are some scenes in those films that they can replicate and others that they would be a little difficult, I think Universal would want to grab more of the more attention grabbing ips like the Universal Monsters or Blumhouse Productions and many of the previous cult horror and classic films that they've been trying to bring to the event which they've nailing some of the big ips on their list so far. 

On 1/10/2019 at 8:26 AM, killswitch22 said:

I think The Strangers should get their own house at this point. If you combine both movies into one house it would definitely have enough content to fill an entire house. The one or two rooms in Silver Screams wasn't enough for me

Yeah I thought after the last film had come out, they were definitely good to get their own maze with them being in the Silver Screams maze at 19 and then in the All Night Die In Double Feature zone at 25, they definitely were and still are destined to have their own maze, I wonder why they didn't do it, since the last film had a lot of good scenes that could work well in a maze, both films could be definitely done in one big maze. I'd always wanted to the maze start off with the record skipping creepily and Liv Tyler's character to jumpscare and then the Man In the Mask to pop out of nowhere the axe or something, hopefully we'll see it in the future :) 

On 1/10/2019 at 8:30 AM, StupidStupidDan said:

So surprised they haven't done one yet. It's a Universal film, zombies are fairly cheap and easy, and it's a cult classic.

Yeah it's a pretty simple set up, I mean it'd work as a scarezone as well, since Hollywood made it into a scarezone at their event. Having Shaun and Ed in the middle of the zone while zombies at every corner, it would work out in the New York section, they could have one of the areas to have the Winchester sign, but some of the iconic zombies in the film walking in the street as well like Zombie Mary or the Heavy Zombie and stuff. 

I am tired of most of these comedy streets. I get it, you can't go too hard because scaredy cats don't do houses. But If I have to deal with another Zombie street or Vamp 00 street.. I avoid it. 
 Comedy houses are different because you don't everything one single joke during first time. 
 I don't mind comedy houses cause they are more on the darker scale of things.  sure not scary at first but if you think about it and the motives. 

I might becoming bitter and jaded.

2 hours ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

Well I hope this year we can get the UCM maze for our event and hopefully a standalone Phantom Of The Opera or maybe a UCM 2 maze next year, that would be awesome, I don't think they would make The Phantom Of The Opera a separate house, since they do want to pay a homage to all the monsters together. 

UCM was Murdy's obsession, and it turned out really good.  It had very few of the stupid black hallways or strobe pop scares.  For being in the worst possible venue in Hollywood, he knocked it out of the park.  But I still preferred Orlando's original Drac and Frank houses from 2009.  And I do consider those to be originals, because they had their own original backstory.  For instance, I LOVED that the castle facade for Frank had the giant staples holding it together.  So freaking good.  So, sure, let's see what they can do with other originals based on single monsters.

3 minutes ago, littlegreenghouls said:

I am tired of most of these comedy streets. I get it, you can't go too hard because scaredy cats don't do houses. But If I have to deal with another Zombie street or Vamp 00 street.. I avoid it. 
 Comedy houses are different because you don't everything one single joke during first time. 
 I don't mind comedy houses cause they are more on the darker scale of things.  sure not scary at first but if you think about it and the motives. 

Welcome to my world, Mr. Grumpy.

What did you think of Psychoscarepy taking over NY?  That was my favorite incarnation to date for an HHN scarezone.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zombieman said:

UCM was Murdy's obsession, and it turned out really good.  It had very few of the stupid black hallways or strobe pop scares.  For being in the worst possible venue in Hollywood, he knocked it out of the park.  But I still preferred Orlando's original Drac and Frank houses from 2009.  And I do consider those to be originals, because they had their own original backstory.  For instance, I LOVED that the castle facade for Frank had the giant staples holding it together.  So freaking good.  So, sure, let's see what they can do with other originals based on single monsters.

What did you think of Psychoscarepy taking over NY?  That was my favorite incarnation to date for an HHN scarezone.  

I enjoy the nurse show and the pumpkin heads and the projections in the apts. 
 I thought that was the tame street and most of the actors did good job with the directions, but there isn't any character developments or real story just random acts.

42 minutes ago, zombieman said:

The 2009 classic monster houses looked great, judging by the walkthroughs Roddy did of them!

A healthy balance is needed. House-wise, I do like one, maybe two lighter-hearted houses, and the rest to be straight-up scary. In terms of IPs right now though, beggars can't be choosers.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, zombieman said:

Yeah I see what you mean with that, it was truly an amazing maze would love to see how we could do and with that, I would love to see how they'd do the original monsters own mazes and also it looks like the Invisible Man movie is supposedly happening with Johnny Depp still tied to it, I wonder if they are really going to go through with it and how the house would turn out if we were to get it. Psychoscareapy was an awesome scarezone, I want to see them bring it back to the streets, the fact that we had it and then returned to Shadybrook back at 26 for Chances' house was pretty cool, people had many mixed reviews on her maze but I was glad just to see the return of Shadybrook in some capacity, hopefully we return again with Eddie? I mean it would come full circle in a way. 

On 1/1/2019 at 9:17 PM, BoSoxFan1022 said:

I would like to see some new properties that maybe we might not have considered. Woman in Black, The Grudge...

We would see The Woman In Black but I think they're trying to get the better known ips that they have been trying to grab and  we wouldn't see The Grudge, that would end up in Singapore and Japan honestly, they would get better reception in The Grudge or Ju-On but over here it's kinda mixed reviews especially since Singapore and Japan do their best to make their events go all out where ours does but seems somewhat tamed as well. 

Edited by HorrorUnearthed

Honestly, I love comedy, especially in the streets. One of my favorite memories of horror nights was in year 25, where I befriended one of the Psychoscarepy characters and they'd talk in character to me every night I went, and they were funny but alwaya kinda creepy since they were always kinda off, obviously. But that doesn't mean horror is dying at Halloween HORROR Nights????

People think horror is dying at HHN, but like, I recall in Vamp 85 there being a dummy with its eye stabbed through a microphone, and various other really gory set pieces? Yeah it's not direct jumpscares, but that's still scary stuff regardless. Y'all need to chill out and let some fun happen. Scary stuff ALWAYS goes down at Horror Nights and A&D is not planning on making this kid-friendly or not scary. That's what MNSCHP is for. Last year, they were celebrating campy 80's culture, and even with the more comedy-related stuff, like Slaughter Sinema, they were bloody and crazy and scary. Just chill out lmfao, a lot of people are jaded and saying 28 is one of the worst years just because of its themes. I say bring on the comedy, just bring on the scares along side them. 

Edited by nebulaexpress
  • Like 1

I'm kind of mixed on comedy houses. To me they just seem more lighthearted if that makes sense. I've never laughed or anything. Not to sound like the densest person in the world but maybe I'm missing the joke? Although I actually can't think of what I'd refer to as a comedy house except maybe HoH and obviously Slaughter Sinema (which I liked but didn't understand the hype for)

Way out of nowhere but can someone explain to me what was supposed to be going on in the Invasion scarezone (because some people were saying they'd like to see it as a house). It was one of the weirdest zones imo. The aliens almost seemed friendly (?) although I think that may have been the costumes being limitating. Also there was a soldier or 2 with some sort of head device

I wish right before the event HHN would release the full extent of the stories they developed. Maybe they save it for people who do behind the screams but when I heard the insanely developed lore behind Carnival Graveyard it made it a lot more significant. It changed the entire experience from what seemed to be a bunch of grumpy junkyard boys to a house with a whole world built around this weird clan that even had a band lol

Edited by Midnight Detective
  • Like 1

The pattern seems to be the TV show that everyone is watching, movie coming out soon, movie that came out recently and is still being talked about to attract the masses, the movie with someone iconic that anyone would recognize (the titans of terror for example), and the cult classic/old horror film that will attract the hardcore fans. 

You can substitute any of those for each other.

It will also be well rounded, not too many that are similar. You'll have your comedy horror, gore horror, sci-fi horror, anyone can relate horror, suspense/psychological horror, supernatural horror, and so on (I really could go on). 

It's nice to have comedy to lighten the event up a bit and give people breaks but I also feel like that's what the scare zones should be. KKfS and the Chucky zones were perfect and I also liked the Purge ones too in the past. In the future I see the zones becoming less 'scary' and more atmospheric, calm, photo ops (because come on, free marketing). 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Midnight Detective said:

I'm kind of mixed on comedy houses. To me they just seem more lighthearted if that makes sense. I've never laughed or anything. Not to sound like the densest person in the world but maybe I'm missing the joke? Although I actually can't think of what I'd refer to as a comedy house except maybe HoH and obviously Slaughter Sinema (which I liked but didn't understand the hype for)

Way out of nowhere but can someone explain to me what was supposed to be going on in the Invasion scarezone (because some people were saying they'd like to see it as a house). It was one of the weirdest zones imo. The aliens almost seemed friendly (?) although I think that may have been the costumes being limitating. Also there was a soldier or 2 with some sort of head device

I wish right before the event HHN would release the full extent of the stories they developed. Maybe they save it for people who do behind the screams but when I heard the insanely developed lore behind Carnival Graveyard it made it a lot more significant. It changed the entire experience from what seemed to be a bunch of grumpy junkyard boys to a house with a whole world built around this weird clan that even had a band lol

What I think was going was that the Aliens were abducting each soldier and experimenting on each one because every night I went, there would be another soldier that had a device on their head or something on their neck and would act very possessed or something, and you'd see another soldier react to losing another person in the group trying to survive the attack from the aliens. That's all I got from it, I mean in some ways that scarezone was comedic because of the soldier characters acting out of control and scared, the aliens were comedic a bit as well, acting weird to picture taking or videos, I don't think the zone was too be taken seriously or anything, Universal always tries to make a sci-fi type thing whether as house or in this case a scarezone. I think the reason why Slaughter Sinema was because it was like H.R. Bloodengutz Presents Holidays Of Horror, the only difference, it's the Carey Ohio Drive-In, since Carey, Ohio was one of the central places in the theme last year, it was really cool to see them bring the Carey, Ohio drive as a maze and with some interesting 80's B-Movies that serve nothing but scary fun and comic relief, the trailers at the beginning were another thing to get people hyped for because I'd admit my favorite part in that maze is Devil Dogs, I loved the trailer and loved that scene, but sometimes the comedy doesn't really need some saying a joke or making a whacky line, it just is funny I guess. Now if you look at 27's Ash vs. Evil Dead 100% comedy house, it wasn't supposed to be taken seriously which I love because you can't have a serious Ash without having comic relief at every turn. I just hope Universal brings another comedy house like Slaughter Sinema and H.R. Bloodengutz because houses like those stand out a little more because of many ideas that A&D couldn't make as a standalone work very well as one big maze to experience and enjoy. 

And Carnival Graveyard is another awesome house, I always loved horror films that centered around Carnivals, Dark Ride, and The Funhouse, so when I went into this maze, I immediately thought of this house as like one of those, I wish they had said more detailed or wish I did the behind the screams tour because that was one of the favorite houses last year. :)

Edited by HorrorUnearthed
  • Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 7:16 PM, littlegreenghouls said:

It's not like it's repetitive at times, they listen to people that like things that can be scary and both funny at times as well. Not only that but they always listen to some peoples' demands about returning original properties, if something that immediately becomes a fan favorite to people, Universal looks at that and never forget it, they try to find something that could come close or ahead of what that said demand is, Vamp 55 was a hit plain and simple, 50s with vampires, 85, 80s with Vamps on New Years, cheesy but simple and funny when you think about it, when they brought Psychoscareapy to the streets, it was fun and scary, The Purge is scary but after it being done these last few times it can become repetitive. Sometimes they hit and miss with scarezones, like when they made Apocalypse City of Cannibals at 19, it was interesting but all I saw was half naked scareactors with a dagger and head sculpt and maybe one or two other scareactors in business suits and it's like okay? Now you see more theming to the zones now. If they were to do a zombie scarezone, I could see them doing a homage to George A Romero, King of The Zombies, they did with Zombietropolis: Zombie Siege and that was loosely based off of Land of The Dead that came out a year before. Killer Klowns From Outer Space is a perfect scarezone and definitely deserves a maze this year because that zone had a lot of hype and the scareactors were very in character at every turn. Hopefully this year, they'll knock it out of the park with another good comedy horror scarezone, as for the houses, there are always going to be hits and misses, I wish they'd turn Penn and Teller's Newkd Las Vegas into Fall Out and called it a day but the house was decent and funny at best, Leave It to Cleaver would be another awesome maze that was funny and scary, so hopefully they try to bring another mixture of houses that serve as just scary or just simply comedy horror.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:24 PM, nebulaexpress said:

Here's something: I was just looking through the official HHN Orlando Instagram page and realized that it's following the official Fantastic Beasts page. Does that say something? Or just Universal properties following other Universal-related properties?

My thoughts on this meaning anything WOULD be quelled by the fact that HHN also follows Fast & Furious, but F&F is a ride, and a more than likely cue/house location in the coming years for Horror Nights, but I feel like there's no current connection to Fantastic Beasts?

IMO some parts of Fantastic Beasts could be stellar for a house or something if it's properly scary. 

They could never touch because JK Rowling doesn't want her Potter Universe and etc. to be apart of HHN. Which sucks because there are some good potential stuff they could use in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter to make some good interesting zones or interactive. 

1 hour ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

They could never touch because JK Rowling doesn't want her Potter Universe and etc. to be apart of HHN. Which sucks because there are some good potential stuff they could use in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter to make some good interesting zones or interactive. 

...so there will never be a maze that treats Voldermort like Through the Mind of Norman Bates treats... Norman Bates?

That disappoints me and I'm not even a big Harry Potter fan.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chef said:

No one ever talks about Canyon of Dark Souls, and I don’t get it, a truly dark and claustrophobic zone without actually impeding the flow of traffic. One of my favorite examples of unique scare zone design.

I legit forgot about this zone until you mentioned it. Great throw back!

• Like 1

Could the  possibly of us getting a hereditary  house? I would die. 
 If they could do cult of beast baby mix with Hereditary.. I would be okay with it.  

I personality like comedy houses. 
I just am tired of universal resting upon the easy topics. 
 I am shocked they haven't pulled out Jack static figure to put in a house.  
 Would you think they could try to make a scary event with an icon? 

I forgot that they don't need an overarching Icon because they don't sell enough merch. 
 I just think they are messing out on cool marketing. 
 They rather have the ip's be the main focus point of marketing.  I get it. It gets enough butts in seats. 

Several of you mentioned Strangers and Shaun of the Dead...YES PLEASE!!!!

I personally LOVED Strangers: Prey at Night, the wonderful 80s vibe. It made for a very fun night when we watched it and would LOVE to see a house!  It can even be one of the "loosely based on the movie" haunted houses like Freddy vs Jason..I just wanna see some Strangers action

• Like 1
  • Love 1