HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

No one reads. I said a human female. Notice how I did not say "female monsters" are not scary? Because they can be. I've often said Bloody Mary is one of the best things they've done - for good reason.

Reading comprehension folks, drop the sensitivity a little. More amazingly a comment implying human men can be scary and women are not is a chauvinistic comment. Let's reverse it, "Women are scary, men are not." And that's also perceivable as "chauvinistic". Hmm, something funky about that. Guess women - to some people - are permanent victims, huh?

And JDW, I love you, but, "western Patriarchal society" Lord almighty do I disagree with you on this. Not one country suddenly disregards the massive biological difference between men and women that translates into behavioral differences. And the West is not a patriarchy, far from it. Complete nonsense statement.

Edited by criticalanalysis
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, criticalanalysis said:

No one reads. I said a human female. Notice how I did not say "female monsters" are not scary? Because they can be. I've often said Bloody Mary is one of the best things they've done - for good reason.

I was going to post something defending your comment because it seemed like no one caught the "human" part of what you wrote. There are plenty of creepy female creatures. I somewhat agree that a plain old human doesn't generally produce much fear. If they use a female icon, hopefully there is more to her than just some clown makeup (sorry Chance). At least make her into a an old witch or have her full blown possessed by a demon. It would be even better if it was some sort of semi-original creature that really helps stimulate your horror imagination.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, criticalanalysis said:

Youre good homie, I don't think most people took this as woman-bashing :)

I agree that they need to change things up a bit this year.  Some sort of monstrous/demonic icon would be nice, after 2 years of human clowns I could do with some scarier fare.  Personally I'd like to see an original icon this year rather than bringing back one of the oldies.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JDW said:

I mean the obvious chauvinist and button pushing comment aside, the argument that women don't make for scary antagonist is entirely subjective. Some of the most unsettling movies I've seen were the Grudge and The Ring. Both of which are a.) eastern and b.) Ghosts. Oddly enough, menacing ghosts in movies are very often female. Not sure what the connection is there.

Eastern cultures tend to gravitate towards female antagonist and they freak me out pretty heavily (Kuchisake-onna comes to mind). The rare exception in the West (Baby Firefly) comes along but mostly it's run by males. Mostly I blame Hollywood for this stereotype.

The western Patriarchal society tends to see strong men as the major antagonist with the women as the damsel in distress. But that is slowly shifting. The irony of this is, I imagine, those who don't find women as a scary antagonist would, if you can manage, flip and find it extremely scary if you could manage to subvert their expectations. So it would behoove the stale industry to find ways to make women scary to chauvinists... and well just subvert the norm. Horror is about unpredictability after all. 

Maybe I should do a show on it. 

Women are already scary to chauvanists. They just don't think you can tell. (sorry, Gambit, didn't see your post until afterwards. My point stands.)

6 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

I'm not wrong. 

Edited by Guest
I'm not smart enough to read most recent first.

My buddy and I couldn't agree on this and I want yalls take on it. 

So we've recently seen a Halloween and Halloween 2 house at HHN, so it makes sense that they may be planning on mazes themed after other sequels.  Do you think they would ever do Halloween 3, the one that doesn't have Michael Myers in it?  I think H3 was a good movie, had cool concepts, and could actually translate into a HHN maze pretty well.  Buuuuut your average joe would be wondering where the heck the guy in the white mask went.

So will we ever see an H3 house or would they opt to go straight to Halloween 4?

giphy.gif

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UsherBscary said:

So will we ever see an H3 house or would they opt to go straight to Halloween 4?

My personal thought process was that if we ever revisit Michael Myers it won't just be based off one film, it would be more of a "Best Of" of the other sequels. 

In terms of H3, I don't know how the rights play out but I did imagine them perhaps playing it a little originally and putting Myers in the story somehow. But I think the "Best Of Sequels" would be the route they go. Or they'll repeat the first Halloween maze at some point down the line. Who knows?

29 minutes ago, UsherBscary said:

My buddy and I couldn't agree on this and I want yalls take on it. 

So we've recently seen a Halloween and Halloween 2 house at HHN, so it makes sense that they may be planning on mazes themed after other sequels.  Do you think they would ever do Halloween 3, the one that doesn't have Michael Myers in it?  I think H3 was a good movie, had cool concepts, and could actually translate into a HHN maze pretty well.  Buuuuut your average joe would be wondering where the heck the guy in the white mask went.

giphy.gif

I mean Blumhouse is making a New Halloween Film and it's coming out next year. If they wanted to they could. Universal has a really fantastic partnership with Blumhouse. Also I would have no problem with it since the two Mazes have been incredible.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2017 at 0:01 PM, HHNManics said:

I mean Blumhouse is making a New Halloween Film and it's coming out next year. If they wanted to they could. Universal has a really fantastic partnership with Blumhouse. Also I would have no problem with it since the two Mazes have been incredible.

Well John's idea for the series was to have the entire franchise based on different things going on Halloween, first one dealing with Michael, second was something the studio wanted and he didn't want no partnership on it, so they had someone else direct and he would only do some shots here and there that is featured in the movie. The third one was not supposed to be based on Michael but something else going on Halloween, it was based on the holiday of Halloween and the festival of Samhain, Obviously HHN has done their own version a Halloween house and season of the witch with The Skoolhouse series and also The Hallow from back at HHN 18 but the third film I don't think they would do unless they just call it Season of the Witch and make it a standalone away from the other Halloween films, as for the remake, I wouldn't doubt we would see a remake house for Halloween III, but then again, the last time they did a remake house was 17 with Leatherface being the only house that was remade based on the 2003 remake, there is also The Thing from 21 that was also remade in 2011, so who knows, I would be up for it, if it happens but at this time, I think it has to go through Carpenter or Blumhouse, if they want to pull it off 

On 11/2/2016 at 3:45 PM, criticalanalysis said:

Please God, no.

Yeah I don't think TWD will ever come back, AHS seems to be replacing it and it would probably be best TWD to just being a year round attraction than a HHN haunted house every year 

Edited by HorrorUnearthed
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2017 at 1:46 PM, PeoriaBJJ said:

LOL thanks.... wife just had a baby boy 8 days ago. So between last week and the week at Disney in Feb I'm all out off vacay time and money! First time in a decade we'll miss. And yes, crushed is a great word for it. Damn kids ruining everything!!!!!

Well, congrats!  So, there is a potential new horror fan just added to the world? :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

He is 12 days old and we just watched JAWS.... he'll be one of us.... whether he likes it or not!

My son started watching horror movies since he was 5 (8 now) (I was 7 when I started) with our guidance and teachings about acting and whats not real.  He started going to HHN at 5 as well with us and hasn't missed a year since and he talks about it all year long.  You'll see some people bash people who bring kids, but they just don't know us and every kid is different!  

We're a different breed!   

• Like 4

13 hours ago, mz_ said:

My son started watching horror movies since he was 5 (8 now) (I was 7 when I started) with our guidance and teachings about acting and whats not real.  He started going to HHN at 5 as well with us and hasn't missed a year since and he talks about it all year long.  You'll see some people bash people who bring kids, but they just don't know us and every kid is different!  

We're a different breed!   

I absolutely cant wait to take my kids to HHN. Gonna be a few years but walking through that gate for the first time as a family will legit be a highlight of my life. Sounds nerdy but we love it so much and sharing that love as a family will be so awesome!

My daughter now is almost 4. She is at the age where she knows when something is scary. I always tease that we are going to watch Pumpkinhead. I bought the DVD a while back at a store for like $6 and I showed her the cover. We are paying for it at the register and she says "Dad, when we get home can you please lock this up when you arent watching it?" It was hilarious. We dont even have a safe so Im not even sure what the hell she was talking about. But now when I bring it up she says "but its only a costume right dad?"... like you said, explain to them about movies and make-up and maybe you can enjoy something with a touch of horror BEFORE they go to sleep! LOL..... but enough of the mushy family stuff... back to speculating....

I will use this as an opportunity to mention AGAIN (Mike are you reading this?) to suggest a Pumpkinhead maze would be more than EPIC. How great would that translate? I mean the creature would be a challenge but dang that would be sweet... just not this year!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sikbyrd350 said:

After Mike Aiello spoke about the "potential icon" the last time, the ideas probably won't be used, I mean, it would be too predictable if they reuse the ideas and the icon, it would be cool but highly, highly doubt Jeepers Creepers would be the icon, I mean the movie was good, some can say it sucked, but I don't think we'll ever see it at HHN, I think the only thing that comes close is Fields of Screams and Harvest of the Souls and Evil's Roots at 25, as far as anything, the icon I don't think would be Crowe, We'll probably get an icon but going right off the bat, but saying its The Caretaker or Jack coming back again or whatever, its just predicting something that might not be in the reveal, we just gotta wait and see how everything plays out. I feel whoever it is could make this year a solid good year. :) 

16 hours ago, RevFreako said:

There is not a tinker's chance of Jeepers Creepers ever being involved at HHN, to which I say good.

I whole heartedly agree with you about that, I believe they just used the image. 

I'm a relative baby when it comes to HHN (I've only attended 25 & 26), so all the Icons are new to me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Itsjosie said:

sounds fake.

Yeah, I mean we don't know what the potential icon or in this case mascot of the event would be, Jack was 25, Chance was 26, and so everyone is thinking whether The Caretaker will be back and so forth but at this point who knows, Universal wouldn't go back to an idea like that bring it in for the following event when everything about Crowe has been revealed, even just adding something to his backstory still brings up the fact that they are rehashing the idea just adding more to it. I feel like we'll get a reveal of the icon sometime in Summer, I believe that was when we announced Chance, it's kind of fuzzy thinking of the announcements last year because of the random dates that they would pick, but I feel like we would get a teaser before getting a full reveal of our icon, they did it with Jack by using the backstage of Soundstage 25 and then last year with the lightbulb back and forth in front of who would then be announced as Chance, so there is probably crazy up their sleeves that they'll throw at us to keep us guessing. I think though since the leaks and many people that know so much what could be coming or what they think would but only have rumors, Universal is really trying to keep secret of this year's event after the leaks from last year and 25. 

19 hours ago, sikbyrd350 said:

I whole heartedly agree with you about that, I believe they just used the image. 

I'm a relative baby when it comes to HHN (I've only attended 25 & 26), so all the Icons are new to me. 

You could find many of the icons' backstory pretty much from everyone, I mean Jack is the first icon of the event, followed The Caretaker Albert Caine at HHN 12 which would mark the first year HHN was featured at Islands and Universal, 13 brought The Director Paulo Ravinski, 15 brought The Storyteller who was not the icon but a mascot just as what Chance was treated I felt like, the real icon of 15 was The Terra Queen, 18 was Bloody Mary/Dr. Mary Agana, 19 brought in Julian Browning The Usher of the Universal Palace Theatre, 20 and 21 brought Fear & Lady Luck, 24 was to have an icon only to be scrapped sadly and then we were back at 25 with Jack returning to host the event for the 6th time, they all have interesting backstories except for The Storyteller Elsa Strict whose backstory never was explained but who knows when creative will get around to have her back, but each icon is a legend to the event, it seems like 25 was somewhat of a reboot for the icons, 25 had Jack, 26 has Chance and 27 might potentially have a returning icon, so Caretaker, Usher or Director might be up to go depending what theme this event is drawn to. 

On 4/11/2017 at 5:44 PM, RevFreako said:

There is not a tinker's chance of Jeepers Creepers ever being involved at HHN, to which I say good.

Yeah, I mean I know a lot of people really want to see Jeeper's Creepers as a house at the event, the movie looks good and has some good proving settings that Universal could replicate, but I feel after the many times they've used scarecrows, I mean they could honestly make their own themed house or zone based on something similar you know, I mean they've succeeded with scarezone's like Fields of Screams, Harvest of Souls, Evil's Roots, I highly doubt we would see Jeeper's Creepers, I mean in the future, you never know but at this moment even with so much other material to work with, I think that film isn't something they are really worrying about but we shouldn't doubt that its on their list of horror films to make as a house along with others such Hellraiser and so forth that many horror fans would take a liking to see come to the event in years to come. :) 

On 4/4/2017 at 5:15 PM, mystiquephreeq said:

You are correct. I can't find a vid with good audio, but it does sound like he says "Time to kill a mocking bird". 

If those tweets are indeed clues, I must change my guess. Caretaker would be the most likely icon. 

I would love to see Caretaker returned, I mean after 12, and the anniversary years, he deserves to have a second run at a year, who wouldn't want to return to Scream House or more to his backstory than what we saw in the commercials and heard about him before. :) 

Edited by HorrorUnearthed
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 1:49 AM, hhnfan95 said:

If they did decide to join two icons together for an event it would be without a doubt, the Director & the Usher. Having the Director & the Storyteller together really doesn't make sense. 

I second on this, HHN XXX, I feel Universal will based on the Terra Queen from HHN 15, due to the rebirth story of The Terra Queen, she was a great icon from 15, Storyteller was just a mascot for the event, but The Director and The Usher would definitely work for a dual icon event, I think Universal would manage but would have to split the themes for both icons, as Julian Browning is of the old era of horror such as Universal Monsters and The Director is full present horror icons, Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, Michael Myers, Ghostface and so forth, so bringing both icons together make a year for both of them exquisite if Universal goes that route into doing that. :) 

On 4/2/2017 at 4:22 PM, Badge said:

It's quite possible they might dedicate each of the next 3 years to each of the other 3 "main" icons to get them back in the spotlight before the big 30th anniversary where we might, hopefully, get another big stage show like HHN 16. I don't consider Storyteller a "main" Icon that could hold the spotlight for the year (especially with the merch) so I could see them putting Storyteller and Director in the same year. 

Even if they don't go this route, I don't see them going without an Icon for a while. Marketing tried to do away with it, but it just doesn't work. You need that "thing" to tie everything together and also to drive merch sales. I know my first year didn't have an Icon and I hated all the merch because it was just so generic. With the Icon shirts, mugs, pins, cards, your unifying everything and making things unique that stick out. 

I agree with that, HHN 27 to 29 will obviously be filled with some big icons and hopefully with some new ones if Universal are able to go that route, Marketing has been a big blockade of creatives' plans for the event years before, its also was seen abit last year with Chance, you have to also look at the fact, it seems like after 21, Universal has now decided to in a way reboot the event in a way, 25 begins with Jack, he was Universal's first icon, Chance came in to balance 25's year and didn't quite so top but was somewhat on the same plain field even though, it seemed like the event probably was going to be hosted The Usher in a way, but 27 could be Albert Caine's year, 28 could be The Director's, Bloody Mary will never come back to the event due the whole copyright bull, but they could fix Storyteller's backstory because 15 she was only a mascot, the real icon for 15 The Terra Queen, who could possibly be the main icon for 30, due to her story that every 30th year The Queen would rise again, I think Fear probably won't come back in any way, only as just something hiding in the shadows, 20 I think was kind of a big disappointment to some people because they thought he would big thing for the houses and such only to just be a big photo op but regardless, the icon did look very cool with great detail but still, I think Universal wants to slide that under the rug and kind of change things up, I think it would be cool to see them do dual events but the only way I think that would work is if they have dual parks, I mean Universal is very hard if they try to split the themes for two different icons, I mean the only two I think that dual park idea would work for is indeed Director and Usher since they have the same love for films, Paulo with his love for gory horror films and slasher icons such Freddy, Jason, Hannibal, Michael, Leatherface and so forth while Usher dabbles into the classic Universal Monsters, the scarezones could be a mixture of old school horror and present day horror but its just wondering how Universal would pull it off, regardless, every year with merch is probably going to get bigger and bigger, I mean 25 was insane, 26 was a bit more, 27 and on, the merch might be piling up and are going to be a big demand for fans, so that's another thing Universal is paying attention to as well with their icons. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 9:30 PM, HHNManics said:

In other news, Construction has officially started... 

After last year's Chance house, I somewhat can't doubt that this will house another 3D maze, an original 3D maze and probably not based on the icon too, but something different, I mean 25 was great Asylum In Wonderland, I was fine with that, I was very hesitant about 26 because I thought they were going to make Krampus 3D and they didn't which I was happy with, it wasn't scary but a decent house but I feel like they are going to start using this area for 3D mazes, I could be wrong, I hope I am wrong and this is just a regular house, maybe even a Giggles N Gore sequel since the Disaster building is now in a Fast And The Furious construction hell, I would be pleased to see a normal sequel or new concept haunted house in this location this year, fingers crossed we hear more about the codename for it aye? :D 

4 hours ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

I would love to see Caretaker returned, I mean after 12, and the anniversary years, he deserves to have a second run at a year, who wouldn't want to return to Scream House or more to his backstory than what we saw in the commercials and heard about him before. :) 

Yea I can def see for 27 that we get the return of a previous icon, especially after the success of Jack and Chance's return. So yea Caretaker, Director or Usher seem most likely next in line for another opportunity to be an icon again. Storyteller isn't out of the picture but she is def I think not going to be utilized before the others. Obviously Bloody Mary we all know never again. Fear and Lady Luck I think also have slim to no chance of returning to the event as well but not as absolute as Bloody Mary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rikku said:

Yea I can def see for 27 that we get the return of a previous icon, especially after the success of Jack and Chance's return. So yea Caretaker, Director or Usher seem most likely next in line for another opportunity to be an icon again. Storyteller isn't out of the picture but she is def I think not going to be utilized before the others. Obviously Bloody Mary we all know never again. Fear and Lady Luck I think also have slim to no chance of returning to the event as well but not as absolute as Bloody Mary.

Exactly, I mean Fear was something I think Universal had a good idea for but with so many things and plus the house ideas were iffy, I mean its kind of crazy, Fear in the promos was portrayed so badass looking and fearsome but when at the event, he became a photo op which was not bad, I mean it was cool to see Fear in the flesh as they say lmao, but yeah Lady Luck, not saying she was a worst icon, she was pretty cool too, loved the backroom game I played on HHN site and learning her backstory and stuff, it was all good but the one thing they didn't give her and Fear was a house, an origin house, scarezone is fine but I mean to really get to know them, a themed house would have worked, The Caretaker has Scream House as his signature, same with Director with All Nite Die In & Usher with Silver Screams, Storyteller never had much of a house, she was basically put a house called Where Evil Hides and also another house at 16 for the sequel house of Dungeon of Terror from the original 1991 event, so Storyteller, Fear and Lady Luck don't have much to work with, Bloody Mary was a great icon 2008 was a great year of houses except for Doomsday lmao, that one idk about lol, but anyways yeah, the creative just have to see what they are working with at this time, I mean they probably have a lot to disposal for any of the icons especially for new icons, I'm a diehard for the old stuff and very opened to all the new stuff that they bring to the event. 25 was great, 26 was good, 27 is definitely going to be a mystery and I'm up for any ips and original ideas they bring to the event but just hope that they have a good stabled icon :)