Halloween Horror Nights 25 Wishful Thinking

Legacy

This could be a decent IP year if The Walking Dead is left out. Kraumpus, Crimson Peak, Hitchcock, American Horror Story, and Dr. Who all make for interesting properties. I know nothing of the latter, but looking through this list, http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctorwho/characters/aliens/ , has me intrigued. Still holding out hope for Treehouse of Horror, The Shining, Hellraiser, or Twin Peaks one of these years.

What's the consensus on IP to original content ratio this year? Half and half? It'd be nice to have one year without IP's, but I fear those days are long gone.

Edited by Tich0las
  • Like 2

Wouldn't that cause a bit of legal trouble for Universal? Since they have a movie coming out in the same year.

Couldn't Legendary sue for using the likeness?

Krampus is a(n) myth/urban legend. Unless Uni uses the exact imagery from the movie, Legendary wouldn't have any legal standing to sue.

Krampus has many different "looks" and interpretations. Like most myths/urban legends.

As long as Uni uses their own interpretation and imagery, I believe they wouldn't run a risk of a lawsuit.

Krampus is a(n) myth/urban legend. Unless Uni uses the exact imagery from the movie, Legendary wouldn't have any legal standing to sue.

Krampus has many different "looks" and interpretations. Like most myths/urban legends.

As long as Uni uses their own interpretation and imagery, I believe they wouldn't run a risk of a lawsuit.

Fair enough. I thought Legendary bought the rights to the myth like that one haunted attraction did with Bloody Mary.

Well that would be a good house idea. xD

Fair enough. I thought Legendary bought the rights to the myth like that one haunted attraction did with Bloody Mary.

Well that would be a good house idea. xD

The name Bloody Mary was trademarked for use in haunted attractions. It is a standard trademark, meaning it does not require specific imagery just the use of the name. (Which I still find to be ridiculous, and shows a complete lack of creative integrity. No one should own the name of an urban legend/myth/folklore.)

Urban legends and myths are public domain, and should remain so. No one owns the rights to Krampus. Legendary will own the rights to their particular interpretation if Krampus.

Here is a list of other potential creatures that could be used in a Dark Christmas/Krampus house.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/angelameiquan/the-creepiest-european-christmas-legends-70fn

• Like 1

The name Bloody Mary was trademarked for use in haunted attractions. It is a standard trademark, meaning it does not require specific imagery just the use of the name. (Which I still find to be ridiculous, and shows a complete lack of creative integrity. No one should own the name of an urban legend/myth/folklore.)

Urban legends and myths are public domain, and should remain so. No one owns the rights to Krampus. Legendary will own the rights to their particular interpretation if Krampus.

Here is a list of other potential creatures that could be used in a Dark Christmas/Krampus house.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/angelameiquan/the-creepiest-european-christmas-legends-70fn

Gryla is wicked! Don't see Uni ever using Black Pete. Imagine that PR nightmare.

Edited by Tich0las
  • Like 1

This could be a decent IP year if The Walking Dead is left out. Kraumpus, Crimson Peak, Hitchcock, American Horror Story, and Dr. Who all make for interesting properties. I know nothing of the latter, but looking through this list, http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctorwho/characters/aliens/ , has me intrigued. Still holding out hope for Treehouse of Horror, The Shining, Hellraiser, or Twin Peaks one of these years.

What's the consensus on IP to original content ratio this year? Half and half? It'd be nice to have one year without IP's, but I fear those days are long gone.

If there's 8 or 10 houses- Half and Half

If there's 9 houses- 5 originals, 4 IP

Gryla is wicked! Don't see Uni ever using Black Pete. Imagine that PR nightmare.

Zwarte Piet would indeed be a PR nightmare. He just ends up in every easily accessible list.

There has been protests regarding his usage in The Netherlands.

EDIT: Corrected country. The calls to abolish the use of the character is in the Netherlands.

Perchta and Mari Lwyd would be amazing as well.

Well, and doesn't Universal own Legendary.

I'm pretty sure they don't own them, but they have an agreement to work together to make films.

"In July 2013, Legendary reached an agreement with Universal Studios where it will market, co-finance, and distribute Legendary's films for five years starting in 2014"

Universal would have an interest in this film (Krampus) doing good mainly because they are helping to finance it. Well... and because they want to make $ too.

Unless Mike threw the Blizzard code name to throw some of us off, I really think it's an original Krampus. But then again, not every person who reads twitter would have any clue about who/what Krampus is anyway right? I didn't even know there was a film called Blizzard (which has something to do with 1 of Santa's reindeer) without looking it up.

Going into this season of spec, I was hopeful we'd get the ip version of Krampus because I'm anxious to see that particular film. However, the movie is a horror/comedy, so it is possible that there could be too much comedy to use at HHN. Without seeing the film, who knows? But either way, I definitely like the idea of using Krampus for a house.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 1

Its fun in short bursts, I agree its really simple gameplay mechanics take away but the backstory that it has along with character models make it a fun unique time waster

We did have the walking dead for 3 years in a row so I don't see how that point is vaild. From a business standpoint, Universal will see that fandom as people who will buy tickets. But after how Resident Evil and Silent Hill went over as just meh house, I doubt they would want to do another video game house, at least for a while.

While it is possible, it's not likely to come anytime soon or at all for that matter.

Though I will give credit where credit is due. I think it would make an amazing LOOKING house, I don't think it would bring the scare factor for a maze.

Maybe for an upcharge house, they make a live action game of Five Nights

Edited by IheartNARWHALS

Oh boy?

Five nights at Freddy's, eh?

Yet again more stuff where I think the source material could have been interesting if it wasn't so hyped up and... Made weird by its fanbase.

Upon the announcement of the last game taking place in Halloween attraction, I kind of thought to myself that it would make sense for Universal to do it. Kind of hope they don't, though.

I'd take a killing floor house over that any day of the year.