Halloween Horror Nights 25 Wishful Thinking

Legacy

And like someone said above I too miss a few of the jokes during B&T. Im 38 so some of the teeny bopper stuff goes over my graying head! LOL

It's so funny you say that. We're almost the same age, I'll be 38 later this year. Usually I do pretty good with all the jokes, but I sorta relate the show to a measuring stick of age. Last year, I think I missed maybe 1 or 2 of the jokes and I was like... ut oh.

On a side note... I had a thought. Maybe this year TWD as we know it won't be at HHN, but instead, maybe it will be new material from the new spinoff series starting this summer? I know technically it's still TWD, but I'm curious as to what will actually take place on the show.

See here...

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2015/03/amc-announces-two-season-order-for-the-walking-dead-companion-series/

I'm just curious... Anyone here going to TransWorld's Halloween and Attractions Show in St. Louis, MO - Mar 19-22? I'll have to check it out one of these years.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

This is where you have to start thinking about the massive breadth of people who attend HHN and the potential for diminishing returns.

Not everyone CAN go more than one night. Either because of finances or schedule, it's not an option. Those people have just as much right to do everything THEY WANT to do on the single night they attend. If they can't, especially because they run out of time, than it impacts their perception of the event. If want to see all the houses, but get less than half they'd be pissed. And I wouldn't blame them. It's why house closures are such a big friggin' deal.

It's already bad enough your essentially forced into Express in order to do all the houses in a single night. Now, I have to take another night off work, pay for another babysitter, pay parking again, risk weather again, pay for food and drinks again all while hoping my friends are willing to do the same just for the blessed opportunity to see all the houses? To legitimately ask that of a guest is insulting and is an easy way to fall from the good graces Universal has strived to put themselves in.

everything you are saying makes sense, but then again it makes me think of how even now with 8 or 9 houses that's still too much for some people to be able to do. (plus the shows)

If that's the case why not just go back to 7 houses and just one show? and rise the ticket price, Obviously that wouldn't work and people wouldn't come, but then you cannot have it both ways. Either have a lot of stuff to make lines a little bit shorter and offer more for everyone to do, Or have 6 houses so that people that are coming for one night only can be able to see everything in one night.

Or get rid of the frequent fear pass, and make employees pay for their tickets (with the discount of course) the same way Disney does for their Halloween party since employees have to pay for that.

I know I sound sarcastic but if people get mad and complain about not being able to get stuff done, imagine what would happen if by some miracle they were able to open the Potter stuff during HHN... Or if Universal did an "alone" type house that had a separate ticket.

I don't really see a 10 house being a bad thing, besides everyyear has its " not as good" houses and if someone was coming one night alone all they had to do was a little bit of research and find out which 2-3 houses to avoid.

I remember seeing people on facebook asking what houses to avoid or which houses were the best and most answers had FDTD and roanoke as the answer (and AVP and halloween as the must see)

Here's the hypothetical.

I go there with 8 houses and can only hit 4. At least I've done half of them.

Now, if there's 10 and I can still only hit 4 (not far-fetched because more houses allow more people), I've now done less than half. Even though it's the same number experienced, the psychological impact of the smaller percentage on a guest's enjoyment is huge.

The big difference in the argument is what impact more houses mean. You seem to assume shorter lines because of better dispersal of crowds. I think you're dead wrong. More houses allow more people in the park, and they're going to be putting about 6 houses in the soundstages with all the entrances/exits a few dozen yards from each other. Lines will still be hours long.

Edited by Legacy

It's so funny you say that. We're almost the same age, I'll be 38 later this year. Usually I do pretty good with all the jokes, but I sorta relate the show to a measuring stick of age. Last year, I think I missed maybe 1 or 2 of the jokes and I was like... ut oh.

On a side note... I had a thought. Maybe this year TWD as we know it won't be at HHN, but instead, maybe it will be new material from the new spinoff series starting this summer? I know technically it's still TWD, but I'm curious as to what will actually take place on the show.

See here...

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2015/03/amc-announces-two-season-order-for-the-walking-dead-companion-series/

I'm just curious... Anyone here going to TransWorld's Halloween and Attractions Show in St. Louis, MO - Mar 19-22? I'll have to check it out one of these years.

I hear ya man. I spend a ton of time on another forum that is filled with 18 year olds up 60 year olds so I feel like all the shit that gets posted on there keeps me pretty informed with the pop culture stuff I would normally miss be old and busy all the time!! I should check out reddit too. I guess all thing internet originate there. LOL

And I'm only a couple hours north of STL I should see if I can swing that TransWorld show. Is that something you have to be invited to or can you just show up and buy a ticket?

Both sides have very valid points. I have seen enough Facebook posts regarding the issue of lines to know that only being able to experience a limited number of houses negatively impacts a guests opinion of the event. Negative opinions are shared more often then positive opinions. People will complain quicker than they will praise. These complaints can have negative effect in the company and event.

But...

While more houses will increase the capacity and create the potential for more people in the parks, the question is: Will increased capacity be met? Will the event sell out?

I don't think it will. I think the same number of individuals will attend. Even with the addition of TWD, the event has only had, at most, 6(?) sell out nights in the past 3 years. Without having access to hard numbers, it is difficult to see whether increased attendance has been a trend or anomaly created by the inclusion of TWD. Using my own observations, I would say increased capacity will not be met, and we will not see a significant increase in attendance. Therefore, more houses will lessen wait times.

The only way attendance will significantly increase is if Marketing steps up their game (hint: posting the exact same blog 4 times in 4 days on Twitter is not a viable marketing strategy. It's spam.), or if Universal nets a property that has an appeal equal to or greater than TWD.

• Like 2

I still feel the aggressive, yet monotonous, push the last week to try and sell packages with the event sight unseen seems a little desperate.

I'm a fan and I'm not buying tickets until I see the house lineup. These gory getaways are aimed at foreigners and out of state guests. But who books a vacation to an event they don't even know anything about?

There has to be a reason for the sudden and early push for pre-sales. As said before they maybe are just upping the level of greed and that wouldn't be surprising. But it seems more (to me) that some early announcement might deter people who buy these packages to change their mind. Just a thought that has been gnawing at me.

I have my theories: TWD yet again, Few strong IP or repeated IP, etc. Not all of that is bad in my eyes.

Regardless they are trying to hype an event that as of yet has zero official info.

• Like 2

You nailed everything I've been thinking, JDW.

Except for my little tiny hope. Marketing is making a huge push to sell early. What if it's due to a shift in the marketing approach? What if A&D has been given back some of the "power" they held? What if they've (A&D) regained control of the website?

^Probably a completely improbable hope, but as I've said I am an eternally optimistic cynic who enjoys her delusional bubbles.

I do have a small amount of support for my hopes. The marketing of the event hasn't seen an overly favorable review on Facebook. I'd say a 50/50 or even 60/40 split on how the marketing is being handled. The 60 being a negative opinion. As for surveys regarding website presentation and content, who normally fills those out? I feel a large portion of website content surveys are filled out by the fans.

Again, I'm in no way saying it is highly probable, but I have a small glimmer of hope that it's possible.

And I'm only a couple hours north of STL I should see if I can swing that TransWorld show. Is that something you have to be invited to or can you just show up and buy a ticket?

You know what, I automatically assumed anyone can buy their way in and apparently that is not the case. I guess you need to be a business owner or work for someone in the haunt industry and have an invitation. I'm sure with a little bit of time and effort I could figure out a way to get in though. Obviously it's not happening this year though. I'm extra interested in it because the company I ordered my new silicone mask/gloves from is releasing several new silicone masks at the event. I'd love to check it all out in person. Most of the stuff they produce is quite impressive. Besides... It's a haunt show, so it's gotta be good.

http://www.haashow.com/

Above ^^^

"But who books a vacation to an event they don't even know anything about?" I assume you mean knows absolutely nothing about (I already booked my trip), not just doesn't know what's going to be at the event this year? Because yeah... Assuming I had somehow never heard of the event and then watched the video, I wouldn't be sold to book a vacation around it. That is for sure. I'm not sure why they would push vacation packages before any releases whatsoever. You want to talk potential backfire... What if they get new customers who actually book ahead because they assume there will be big name ips and there aren't any, or worse, instead it's all original houses?

You think there is any chance they may be running with mostly originals this year???

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

Take no offense, but you may be surprised.

Obviously we don't know much, but I'm going to say probably a 85-95% No. Maybe just me.

But the video seems geared towards guests who have never been to event with the exception of the Jack cameo at the end. If they truly haven't heard of HHN and only saw that clip, should they be impressed enough to book a trip?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure TWD wouldn't deter this group of people from coming. The videos seem geared toward bringing in new guests from out of the state. If these people haven't seen TWD the past few years and are coming for the 1st time, why would they be deterred?

New collaboration + studios fuels my fan girl hopes of Doctor Who.

"@HorrorNightsORL: Really great collaboration with our marketing and advertising teams this week. We are all working hard towards making #HHN25 the best yet."

I'm going to pretend that this is in reference to new marketing and advertising. If it's referencing the blog spam...

No. Just no.

Although, Mike's vid was good.

• Like 1

"@HorrorNightsORL: Really great collaboration with our marketing and advertising teams this week. We are all working hard towards making #HHN25 the best yet."

It could mean Marketing is finally working with them to allow them a little free reign...

Or it's white wash for we are going to #SPAM #THE #CRAP #OUT #OF #YOU

• Like 1

When we did get story through the website... When did it tend to update to begin with? I seem to remember it being in May but I could be wrong... I haven't even been to the website in like 2 years...

Wow that some quality behind those effects.

Krampus and his mischievous underlings are being created by the combined efforts of Weta Workshop and Weta Digital, both renowned for their epic work on “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” trilogies and “King Kong,” among many others.

Weta Workshop is responsible for manufacture and puppeteering for the creatures and specialty costumes for the film. Weta Workshop co-founder and creative director Richard Taylor is very excited about the project. He said: “Krampus is the kind of ‘once-in-a-blue-moon’ project that the creative teams at Weta Workshop relish and that, on a personal level, makes my heart beat a little faster. The preproduction phase on this film has been one of the most enjoyable of our career.”