Halloween Horror Nights (Hollywood) 2013 Speculation/Predictions

I thought I'd throw a little into the speculation fire. Didn't a while back somebody said they asked Murdy about original mazes and he said he's working on something based on a book? Well, Alice in Wonderland was originally a book and the hint posted on twitter seems to point to that. Is a twisted Alice in Wonderland a possibility this year? Maybe our 3D maze?

• Like 1

StraightEdge, you REALLY need to do a lot more research or at least attend HHN, because you're really throwing off speculation with some of the stuff you're saying. Especially with the reiteration of some topics we've said are practically dead by now, we just keep going in circles. No offense, it's just this board somehow ends up talking about whether Slenderman and Jeepers Creepers has chances or not. Those are just two things -- as there's been several other "what in the hell?" properties you've mentioned that would never ever happen. TRUST US when we say NEITHER OF THEM are ever going to happen and there's literally no point to argue that. Some of us have been doing speculation for years, and every year we get at least 80% of the mazes right, and the other 20% is a wild card that we don't catch accurately because a) it's a repeat when we didn't expect one or B) it's an original creation when we didn't expect one. Now since you can't just go to HHN today to see how it is, I urge you to do a bunch more research. Here's some things you should look up AND understand:

- the history. Know the difference between the pre-hiatus and post-hiatus. Understand why it went on hiatus to begin with.

- content choosing. Know the criteria Murdy uses to select his mazes, how some rules have been broken before and understand what were the consequences or payoffs from breaking those rules, and how sometimes breaking those rules were actually abiding to the criteria (examples: HOTC, Alice Cooper)

- operations. Knowing how the event works behind the scenes is a big part of doing speculation. the politics behind working with Universal execs and usage of the backlot. Knowing how scareactors, make up, and construction crews all work.

- design. HHN has a specific look to their mazes. The quality is top notch. Watch videos of previous mazes, of the scarezones, the Terror Tram, etc.. Figure out what designs would work with HHN. Also pay attention to scare design, make up design, set design, maze layouts, park layout, etc. Design is also important by what environments work in mazes. They have to be pre-existing or if original, be able to be created and pulled off with great execution.

- popularity. Everything at HHN has a popular following. By popular, we mean "not just a fad," "not just what your high school is talking about" and "not just what your circle of friends know and love." It has to be popular, commercial success and different media platforms to show its success. This is one of the main areas Slenderman fails.

- the process. Know how something comes from conception, to campaigning, to studio talks, to design, to construction, to hiring, to rehearsals, to run throughs and how things change from opening night all the way down to the final night.

- the team. Murdy isn't just one man who creates the event. There's set decorators, prop masters, make up crews, wardrobe crews, art designers, managers for each maze, etc..

You're not the only one who's joined and have never gone, nor the only one to have made similar mistakes in the speculation stages, but make more of an effort to try and know what you're talking about so when you speculate, it'll come from a good place instead of a random one. Right now you have a Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark as your freakin signature as if it's possible speculation. No, just no. Not happening. Not even worth making a video of, or even posting. Especially this early in the stages of speculation. There's nothing to even warrant that as speculation. That's pure wishful thinking, and bad wishful thinking at that to even be considered as an HHN property. Not tryin to bag on you, I just wanna tell ya like it is in the most blunt way possible so you can understand. Maybe it's not driving everyone as nuts as it is me, and it's just silly speculation, but we need you on your game! If you're gonna speculate here with us, get on board and make a true effort so you can help us figure out these dang mazes. And please understand the importance Terror Tram has and they don't just pick random things out of a hat and throw them there. It's the heart and soul of the event, as you once said and already know, so picking the Terror Tram is the most important thing so it's not gonna be solely dedicated to Killer Klowns From Outer Space. Also understand that some years, it's not all based on one theme. Hopefully your skills improve and maybe YOU will be the first to speculate something correctly with some decent shred of evidence and we'll all love you. But right now man, you're really draggin things down! But we love you, want you to stay, and help us, but get it together!

Dang :o Lol well it's true I'm pretty much new to all this HHN stuff, I'm sorry for all the stuff I said I guess? & It's true I'm not predicting what I think is going to happen at HHN. I just say stuff I want to see on this topic when "mainly" it say's "Speculations/Predictions" My bad though. I apologize. Lmfao

I know this is random, but on Silent Hill and video game properties, I really think the only reason silent hill didn't do so well is because it's soooo weird! I think people didn't know what was going on because the game has such a strange and obscure story. Resident Evil is an easier concept to grasp imo, everybody gets zombies...not everybody will understand monsters in another world that reflect a persons inner demons caused by a little abused girl(although there are a couple of wierd things in RE as well). Not to mention that RE is more well known than SH. Dead Space (granted not as well known) is also easier to get...pretty much dead bodies mutated by an alien virus...almost like space zombies lol.

I thought I'd throw a little into the speculation fire. Didn't a while back somebody said they asked Murdy about original mazes and he said he's working on something based on a book? Well, Alice in Wonderland was originally a book and the hint posted on twitter seems to point to that. Is a twisted Alice in Wonderland a possibility this year? Maybe our 3D maze?

Although that would be cool, I think that clue was really just a hint for the competition (seeing that the card was the queen of hearts) although i may be wrong. Hopefully i am, Alice in wonderland gone dark would be amazing! If we did get that though, it would probably be Alice Cooper in wonderland which would be just as cool.

StraightEdge, you REALLY need to do a lot more research or at least attend HHN, because you're really throwing off speculation with some of the stuff you're saying. Especially with the reiteration of some topics we've said are practically dead by now, we just keep going in circles. No offense, it's just this board somehow ends up talking about whether Slenderman and Jeepers Creepers has chances or not. Those are just two things -- as there's been several other "what in the hell?" properties you've mentioned that would never ever happen. TRUST US when we say NEITHER OF THEM are ever going to happen and there's literally no point to argue that. Some of us have been doing speculation for years, and every year we get at least 80% of the mazes right, and the other 20% is a wild card that we don't catch accurately because a) it's a repeat when we didn't expect one or B) it's an original creation when we didn't expect one. Now since you can't just go to HHN today to see how it is, I urge you to do a bunch more research. Here's some things you should look up AND understand:

- the history. Know the difference between the pre-hiatus and post-hiatus. Understand why it went on hiatus to begin with.

- content choosing. Know the criteria Murdy uses to select his mazes, how some rules have been broken before and understand what were the consequences or payoffs from breaking those rules, and how sometimes breaking those rules were actually abiding to the criteria (examples: HOTC, Alice Cooper)

- operations. Knowing how the event works behind the scenes is a big part of doing speculation. the politics behind working with Universal execs and usage of the backlot. Knowing how scareactors, make up, and construction crews all work.

- design. HHN has a specific look to their mazes. The quality is top notch. Watch videos of previous mazes, of the scarezones, the Terror Tram, etc.. Figure out what designs would work with HHN. Also pay attention to scare design, make up design, set design, maze layouts, park layout, etc. Design is also important by what environments work in mazes. They have to be pre-existing or if original, be able to be created and pulled off with great execution.

- popularity. Everything at HHN has a popular following. By popular, we mean "not just a fad," "not just what your high school is talking about" and "not just what your circle of friends know and love." It has to be popular, commercial success and different media platforms to show its success. This is one of the main areas Slenderman fails.

- the process. Know how something comes from conception, to campaigning, to studio talks, to design, to construction, to hiring, to rehearsals, to run throughs and how things change from opening night all the way down to the final night.

- the team. Murdy isn't just one man who creates the event. There's set decorators, prop masters, make up crews, wardrobe crews, art designers, managers for each maze, etc..

You're not the only one who's joined and have never gone, nor the only one to have made similar mistakes in the speculation stages, but make more of an effort to try and know what you're talking about so when you speculate, it'll come from a good place instead of a random one. Right now you have a Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark as your freakin signature as if it's possible speculation. No, just no. Not happening. Not even worth making a video of, or even posting. Especially this early in the stages of speculation. There's nothing to even warrant that as speculation. That's pure wishful thinking, and bad wishful thinking at that to even be considered as an HHN property. Not tryin to bag on you, I just wanna tell ya like it is in the most blunt way possible so you can understand. Maybe it's not driving everyone as nuts as it is me, and it's just silly speculation, but we need you on your game! If you're gonna speculate here with us, get on board and make a true effort so you can help us figure out these dang mazes. And please understand the importance Terror Tram has and they don't just pick random things out of a hat and throw them there. It's the heart and soul of the event, as you once said and already know, so picking Terror Tram is the most important thing so it's not gonna be solely dedicated to Killer Klowns From Outer Space. Also understand that some years, it's not all based on one theme. Hopefully your skills improve and maybe YOU will be the first to speculate something correctly with some decent shred of evidence and we'll all love you. But right now man, you're really draggin things down! But we love you, want you to stay, and help us, but get it together!

Well said DTH. And I'll admit StraightEdge, I've been a little impatient at times. But you'll learn... You have some of the best speculators here to learn from. Last year was my first time speculating with the Hollywood team, and it was a big adjustment after spending years in Orlando where things are done differently. I feel like, and hope, that I've gotten a hang of it over here. Really dig you claws in, learn, and have fun and I promise you you will get a hang of things.

I think Resident Evil is the only video game property I think we could realistically see coming in the future because its the only other horror video game to break out of the video game realm in a successful way (I.e. House of The Dead and Alone In The Dark who both have movies, but they both were critical and commercial failures.) But, with it looking most likely that The Walking Dead is returning, I really don't expect it to be a real possibility this year.

And on a different note, has anyone got anything on the "TEN EEL CHARLES D" thing from John's contest photo? I've been searching and watching, and every time I try to look up TEN EEL I get something for Eel River in California. So what's everyone thoughts? You think it means something, or do you think it's John pulling a fast one on us again like some of his photo's last year?

Edited by Stitch_101

Well said DTH. And I'll admit StraightEdge, I've been a little impatient at times. But you'll learn... You have some of the best speculators here to learn from. Last year was my first time speculating with the Hollywood team, and it was a big adjustment after spending years in Orlando where things are done differently. I feel like, and hope, that I've gotten a hang of it over here. Really dig you claws in, learn, and have fun and I promise you you will get a hang of things.

On a different note, has anyone got anything on the "TEN EEL CHARLES D" thing from John's contest photo? I've been searching and watching, and every time I try to look up TEN EEL I get something for Eel River in California. So what's everyone thoughts? You think it means something, or do you think it's John pulling a fast one on us again like some of his photo's last year?

Well i thinkl i got the Charles D part, but i dont get the Ten eel part. Maybe he saw the post about AC in wonderland posts and he's just messing with us. Although, this picture and the Charles D thing could lead us to believe that an Alice maze is coming...

https://twitter.com/i/#!/HorrorNights/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FUhxulIMo

Edited by Ridesandstuff
  • Like 1

Just found something on the Eel River you were talking about that could be connected to the Alice stuff. One of the rivers that borders the Eel river is the Mad river...could be insignifigant, but with the queen of hearts card, Charles Dodgeson aka Lewis Caroll, the Alice Cooper doll picture, and now this...an Alice cooper in wonderland house is starting to seem quite possible.

• Like 1

Ok, oh wow I can't believe I missed that picture. Good catch! Along with Mad River. Has made things interesting for sure!!! I'm just really worried about how much to believe about anything he's posting right now :-/ Like, could those hints about Charles D be specifically hinting at the card and not a future maze? Are we maybe jumping the gun a little? It's so hard to know with John sometimes! I'm so torn... Part of me wants to go into super research mode, and the other part wants to take a step back and wait until we have something a little more concrete. Damn my brain!!!

Edited by Stitch_101

Ok, oh wow I can't believe I missed that picture. Good catch! Along with Mad River. Has made things interesting for sure!!! I'm just really worried about how much to believe about anything he's posting right now :-/ I'm so torn... Part of me wants to go into super research mode, and the other part wants to take a step back and wait until we have something a little more concrete. Damn my brain!!!

Don't waste your time like i am haha i have way too much time on my hand lol

I guess we could be seeing this

Alice-Cooper-in-Wonderland--37130.jpg

JK! JK!

• Like 1

^ Ha Ha Ha Ha Grandpa Alice Disney Style lol xd

You're not the only one who's joined and have never gone, nor the only one to have made similar mistakes in the speculation stages, but make more of an effort to try and know what you're talking about so when you speculate, it'll come from a good place instead of a random one. Right now you have a Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark as your freakin signature as if it's possible speculation. No, just no. Not happening. Not even worth making a video of, or even posting. Especially this early in the stages of speculation. There's nothing to even warrant that as speculation. That's pure wishful thinking, and bad wishful thinking at that to even be considered as an HHN property. Not tryin to bag on you, I just wanna tell ya like it is in the most blunt way possible so you can understand. Maybe it's not driving everyone as nuts as it is me, and it's just silly speculation, but we need you on your game! If you're gonna speculate here with us, get on board and make a true effort so you can help us figure out these dang mazes. And please understand the importance Terror Tram has and they don't just pick random things out of a hat and throw them there. It's the heart and soul of the event, as you once said and already know, so picking the Terror Tram is the most important thing so it's not gonna be solely dedicated to Killer Klowns From Outer Space. Also understand that some years, it's not all based on one theme. Hopefully your skills improve and maybe YOU will be the first to speculate something correctly with some decent shred of evidence and we'll all love you. But right now man, you're really draggin things down! But we love you, want you to stay, and help us, but get it together!

StraightEdge you are my friend on here and I just want to tell you getting what we want and what we get can be really different and can suck for example Silent Hill. I would love to see slendy at HHN but I think in some stuff in there won't work since he just stands there. last year was my first year speculating and making update videos and I nailed some stuff right and we worked together here. We all want to work together with you and watch the maze videos on YouTube it will help :)

Dang :o Lol well it's true I'm pretty much new to all this HHN stuff, I'm sorry for all the stuff I said I guess? & It's true I'm not predicting what I think is going to happen at HHN. I just say stuff I want to see on this topic when "mainly" it say's "Speculations/Predictions" My bad though. I apologize. Lmfao

yeah sorry if we come of as assholes but in the past we have had to deal with some realy annoying "I Want This so much so all you guys are wrong" type people and also I suggest looking in the general disscusion sub forum for Hollywood, DTH mad a HHNH Glossory to fill in Newbies on alot about our little commuinity, and just be thankfull it was us and not Zombieman our beloved Grump lol.

And also expand your horizons with Horror in general.

oh god althoug its a joke he may a point.......

Two things....

I was looking for hhn 2013 stuff on google and I came across this...this is more hhno related, but with the ip sharing ill also post it here.

Mr. Timon, without confirming verbally, did give us a wee spoiler that a few juicy TV properties might be explored - given the huge reception that AMCs The Walking Dead is receiving.

I asked him if he would be contacting Ryan Murphy and FX for a possible American Horror Story themed house.

We cannot comment on that. We talk to a lot of great people and American Horror Story is an awesome property, said a tight-lipped smiling Mr. Timon. Hmmm...

Also I was able to get a picture of mama from the trailer on my phone

8378443084_6df409f3bb.jpg

image by holmes.ashton96, on Flickr

Two things....

I was looking for hhn 2013 stuff on google and I came across this...this is more hhno related, but with the ip sharing ill also post it here.

Mr. Timon, without confirming verbally, did give us a wee spoiler that a few juicy TV properties might be explored - given the huge reception that AMCs The Walking Dead is receiving.

I asked him if he would be contacting Ryan Murphy and FX for a possible American Horror Story themed house.

We cannot comment on that. We talk to a lot of great people and American Horror Story is an awesome property, said a tight-lipped smiling Mr. Timon. Hmmm...

Also I was able to get a picture of mama from the trailer on my phone

8378443084_6df409f3bb.jpg

image by holmes.ashton96, on Flickr

So at HHN 2013 were gonna have:

- The Walking Dead TV Show: Season 3 (Repeat Maze Theme)

- Third and Final Possible Alice Cooper maze or that Alice In Wonderland you guys were talking about which I have no idea what it is?

- Mama (2013 Horror Film)

- American Horror Story: TV Show

- Insidious

And How am I gonna sleep now man. It's a school night. That picture creepy.

Hmmmm.... I'm seriously wondering if we could see Mama as a maze now. I mean, Universal horror properties bombing at the box office never stopped HHNO from doing Dead Silence (loved the maze, the movie was ehhh) and Doomsday, which both came out relatively early in the years they were released. And didn't John give Del Toro a tour of HHN last year? I remember that for some reason, but I may be mistaken. I really am excited to see the movie now and see if its the type of film that would lend itself well to being a maze. The children main stars are already somewhat of a hurdle...

Just found something on the Eel River you were talking about that could be connected to the Alice stuff. One of the rivers that borders the Eel river is the Mad river...could be insignifigant, but with the queen of hearts card, Charles Dodgeson aka Lewis Caroll, the Alice Cooper doll picture, and now this...an Alice cooper in wonderland house is starting to seem quite possible.

That is the doll that John owned which he featured in his AC: WTMN maze.

Alice drew the eyes on himself.

An Alice Cooper in Wonderland maze would be fantastic. I'm just saying.

For the Ten EEL i was deciphering it as Tennile, as in The Captain And... maybe?

Let's figure out if we can tie together clues that lead to an "Alice" in Wonderland concept.

Also, take it easy on Straight Edge. He's just overzealous, as we all were when we first started getting into HHN.

• Like 1

Alice Cooper in Wonderland was something someone created in a thread, I can't remember which, maybe 2 or 3 months ago. It was such a brilliant idea and if Murdy is gonna roll with it, I can actually say for once that I am genuinely and thoroughly excited to see Alice Cooper's maze this year. 3D would work great on it considering Malice in Wunderland at Knotts was in 3D and it's one of the best mazes they've ever done. I'm with you guys - ALL THE CLUES thus far are pointing to Alice in Wonderland. However, I doubt that the package was of the book... so hmmmm. What could it be if it's Alice in Wonderland related?

As for Mama, I'm not sure. Del Toro WAS at HHN this last year. And from experience, we know a few things: 1) someone who visited from the previous year will have a property at HHN or 2) if Murdy attends a premiere, the film or something associated to it, will be at HHN. But Mama COULD be a huge bomb. I guess we'll just have to see in the next 2 weeks what happens there, but if Murdy attends the premiere, you could pretty much put it on the line up. It seems more thrillerish than horror, so I have my doubts. I'm really hoping it's not, as I have a sketchy feeling the movie is gonna blow since it's being released in January (January and September are the dumping grounds for studios to release the flicks they least believe in for the year with a few exceptions: Cloverfield, Underworld series, Resident Evil series).

I really doubt Mama will happen, unless John saw an early screening of it and really thought it could translate well into a maze. From the trailers, it doesn't look like it could, (From the pictures Ridesandstuff posted, the mom does look scary though haha), but who knows...

Too early to tell, but with all this talk about Alice Cooper in Wonderland, I want it to happen! Lol It would be EPIC. :D But I still feel like he's just messing with us now since he probably saw the idea on the forums and just want's to play along. ><

Edited by shark23

An Alice Cooper in Wonderland maze would be fantastic. I'm just saying.

For the Ten EEL i was deciphering it as Tennile, as in The Captain And... maybe?

Let's figure out if we can tie together clues that lead to an "Alice" in Wonderland concept.

Also, take it easy on Straight Edge. He's just overzealous, as we all were when we first started getting into HHN.

Alice Cooper in Wonderland would be an interesting theme for a house. It better not be in 3D though as I'm tired of seeing that gimmick.

And yes, we all were quite overly zealous about HHN when we came in. Remember 2010 speculation? :P

Well, there was American Werewolf in Paris. That was technically a sequel to that.

• Like 1