Gothic

Mark M.

great scares in here last night. the ceiling scare in the chapel scene scared the shit out of my sister the first run and me on the second run:P finale gargoyle on the right scared both of us BOTH times :laughing: excellent work from the drop door and the one adjacent too. made a group of 4 girls stop moving for a good 20 seconds then made them run through the rest of the house, leaving us alone for the second half. just about every scare got my sister and i on at least one of our 2 runthoughs. fantastic job by the cast, only solidifying it's permanent HoTY vote from me :).

Ahh the wonders of a grand dijoun mustard...we ARE in France afterall ..and I am SUCH a stickler for authenticity.Jimmy it was good to see you in the tower tonight as it is any of you out there. And K ...you are ALWAYS most welcome...thank you all for the kind words and repeated visits ...you have no idea what it means to me to "stack up" to your critiques considering how much longer you've been attending HHN than I have....

Be seeing you all soon

• Like 1

Incredible house. You guys are so awesome. The costumes are so great and the layout of it is also very well thought out. Both times I went through the scares were there. Some amazing effects in here as well but i don't want to spoil them. Wasn't that excited about this house and it ended being number 1 on my list.

This wins HOTY for me! LOVED THIS HOUSE!

great scenery, great construction, great costumes, great scares... it had it all!

The flying gargoyles were EPIC! I went through this house 4 times and on the LAST time my wife and I finally got that last scare with the flying guy coming up to the window! We were high-fiving about it as we walked out like were were kids! Well I guess we are just 35 and 29 year old kids :) ... yeah Im old!

I went through this on the UTH tour also. WOW! Seeing it in the day time was so incredible. Very detailed stuff!!!!!

But thanks to all involved with this house! A truly great experience going through it!!!!!

i know i'm about to sound super lame, but is there a place where i can get a spoiler-full, comprehensive review of this house? long story short, this is my first visit to HHN & i'm terrified! i'd rather be prepared than surprised by this experience....any advice?

i know i'm about to sound super lame, but is there a place where i can get a spoiler-full, comprehensive review of this house? long story short, this is my first visit to HHN & i'm terrified! i'd rather be prepared than surprised by this experience....any advice?

Try reading some of the HHN 22 event reviews. You might find what you're looking for there... :) Edited by HORRORLANDO

First time posting, but my and the GF went on Sunday the 14th and this house was amazing. The second time through was so much better because I was able to look around more and see it all. The hallway overlooking the cathedral, the last gargoyle who flies at you, and the stilt gargoyle were amazing. Love the use of the growl noise also. My favorite house of the night

just go through it... its super cool... few good scares in there but you will be amazed at how cool this house is visually. its great fun!

in short-the house (and event as a whole) is not really THAT scary, depending on who you are. It's real fun and you get jump scares, but nothing that truly makes you "scared".

in long:(note: only read if you've seen the house or want to completely spoil it)

You start off by going through the facade. a living statue is on the left as you enter the cathedral. the first scene has 2 gargoyles. one on the right, hidden by curtains, and on the left, in an opening behind a statue. the second scene has 2 more gargoyles. when you enter, there's a table with a cat looking gargoyle statue on it. on one cast, the actor like to sit there and pretend to be fake and jump at you, while the other hides in the door a little further down that table, next to where you enter the scene. the other actor in the scene is at the end of the room behind sheets. The next scene is the bell tower room, with the 2 (very easily visible) Quasimodos. after that is the candle room, where there is the first flying gargoyle above you at the end of the hall. next you go up a ramp and through an unpopulated hallway with statues on either side of you, which shoot out airblasts. then you exit to where the stilt scareactor is. when you go around him, the next room has a dropdoor on the left and another gargoyle on the right in an opening. you then go into the cathedral scene(look to the left and down). there's a gargoyle on the right in an opening and one more in the ceiling towards the back half of the hallway. then theres the star room, with a flyer going across the stars on the left, and a gargoyle hiding on the right. then the finale. on the left is a flyer that comes at you through an opening and the one on the right has an opening next to it and after the curtain you go through and that's the house.

hope that helps :)

Edited by foREVer56

foREVer56 - you made my night! :) i've been reading through this forum for days, trying to piece together things from people's & the invididual houses' reviews, and that was exactly what i was looking for!!!

i've been torn about this for years....i'm definitely intrigued by the set-building & artistry that goes into the event, but my scaredy-cat side has always won out. i do scare very easily & have always assumed HHN would be too intense for me. long story short, my baby brother (just back from afghanistan) arrives tonight for a visit & this is the ONE thing he wanted to do while here....and i just didn't have the heart to say no. so now i'm trying to summon my courage!

• Like 3

foREVer56 - you made my night! :) i've been reading through this forum for days, trying to piece together things from people's & the invididual houses' reviews, and that was exactly what i was looking for!!!

i've been torn about this for years....i'm definitely intrigued by the set-building & artistry that goes into the event, but my scaredy-cat side has always won out. i do scare very easily & have always assumed HHN would be too intense for me. long story short, my baby brother (just back from afghanistan) arrives tonight for a visit & this is the ONE thing he wanted to do while here....and i just didn't have the heart to say no. so now i'm trying to summon my courage!

I am really really interested in how it goes for you, please write a review! :)

ok I just remembered some cool info about this house. So SPOILER ALERT if you havent gone through it!!!!

In the hallway with all the candles.... it took 155 man hours to install all those candles and if you notice when they go out they go out in order from the door where you walk in towards the end of the hall. Thats when the Gargoyle will take flight and scare you. Our UTF tour guide told us to make sure we take our time and appreciate it and the request of the builders! lol!

• Like 1

I am really really interested in how it goes for you, please write a review! :)

i'm sorry this is off-topic, but i just wanted to address this since everyone here has been so helpful & encouraging. unfortunately, there's not much for me to review. we did TWD first when it was still very much light outside & i was terrified. i was literally holding 2 hands through the entire house & trembling. it took 2 drinks for me to calm back down & i sat out the rest of the houses. i was disappointed - i had hoped i would react better than that when i was actually in the houses and i really wanted to see what the universal team was able to do with these themes/spaces. i heard the review back from my group after this one & they loved it. thought the theming & execution was amazing.

I've been flying out to HHN Orlando from L.A. for the past 9 years, and Gothic is the best house I've seen at HHN (either coast). While the IP houses fell flat, it seemed like the designers were trying to throw everything they had into the original content houses - which of course of what they do best.

The Candle Room in particular looked to be such a labor of love. I do a synchronized Christmas Light Show every year and know how hard it was to make those individual candles work, each on a separate circuit.

Gothic was flawless.

• Like 2

HOTY for me easy, no doubt about it! Seriously a flawless house.

Right from the start the facade is incredible, and the sets throughout are gorgeous. Immersion and detail is the name of the game for HHN as a whole, but Gothic took it to another level (the Candle room for example: no two candles look or flicker the same). This house is unfortuantely all about timing, though. I, however, was lucky enough to see every major scare my first time through. The flying actors are what separate this house from Dead End, it really doesn't get much cooler than seeing these guys in the air. Those that have seen it will agree that the bungee scare is the highlight of the house.

Overall, A++.

• Like 1

It is now 3:25 AM and I have just driven my usual 50 miles to get home..and what am I doing ? READING THIS FORUM...I take (maybe a bit unhealthy) a HUGE amount of interest as to what all of you think about our performances in this house.if there's anything useful then I put it to work the very next time I get behind the bell...so for those of you that pop up here with the "meh" comments..THANK YOU..it's YOU that I'm thinking of as I watch literally trains of Human Centipedes 10 people long RUN top speed through the tower only to not make it once they get about 2 feet from the door.its YOU I think about when I see grown men twice my size jump or even better put themselves on the wall and edge out ..keeping as far away from me as possible...again THANK YOU...you are TRULY an inspiration to me...as for those of you that come through uttering " What the @##$!!!! or ":Man I KNEW HE WAS REAL!!!!" YOU are the reason I drive 100 miles a day for...I NEVER take a day off during the entire run ..You deserve at least that...So keep the MEHs coming ..so that the "What the F@#$!!!!" keep having a blast.....

Thank you and good....morning

• Like 4

^You're welcome . . . and thank you! HHN is a staple for many of us - I even consider it a lifeblood. I'm a teacher in St. Petersburg and drive more than 200 miles every weekend to attend the event, mostly because of people like you! The theming, the sets, and the atmosphere all contribute to each and every year, but it is the scareactors that make everything come to life. Without YOU, the event would be nothing. How many times over the years has it been said on these forums that a house or scarezone is as strong as its casts. Most people that I talk to (outside of the HHN fan community) don't understand how I can return to the event so often. I respond with "You wouldn't understand unless you truly live the event." YOU scareactors make us live the event.

On topic . . . I've been saying all year that Gothic should, hands-down, be HOTY and know that you have my vote! I've been attending since 2002 and this stands out as one of the best houses of all time. Although it's hard to compete with some of the classic favorite houses of years past, Gothic will most certainly join the ranks! As others have stated, Gothic is consistently flawless!

• Like 1

I'm just gonna say this, I hands down hold the record for going thru this house the most. Lol. I love this house...it's easily in my top 5 overall. Ever. Probably even top 3 and really close to 1

Also to the gargoyle in the second room on the right and left, both of u...lol the right when u tapped the birthday button the 2nd time then gave me a fist bump then the guy on the left did to. Lol. :) the people I was with were like wtf?!?