Gothic

Mark M.

I have a question for ya Wesker...I'm making an effort not to be a douche like I was before...it was uncalled for. But as always I'm going to stick up for my house.

How long have you been attending Horror Nights?

This is only my 7th year...5 of which being a scareactor...and I will admit the 1st couple years I was a big chicken-shit. But I am tremendously harder to scare now especially being on the other side of things...my point being that you seem like a hard one to scare. I'm telling you I am getting A LOT of damn good scares in my placement in the house. Even getting the comments/look-and-point saying "You got me."

So maybe try to look at it by seeing others get scared because maybe you don't get scared easily or we are just not getting the timing with you. I know you said it isn't doing it for YOU...but you can't say its relying on set design. Its not JUST set design because I am reading things that are saying its the scares too. Gothic is one of the top houses, if not THE top house and you can't get that on set design alone. So scareactors are doing something right in their placements

I believe he has been going since 2005 at least. I have gone to every HHN since Fright Nights in 1991.

I have gone through many houses this year with Wesker, and I can't help but notice we have very different reactions for many of them. I have gotten good scares every time I've gone through Gothic and find the house captivatingly beautiful.

The only disappointment for me was my most recent walk through at the very last minute before closing last night... as all the flying gargoyles had been removed by that point. I understand why, but I still missed them.

Anyway my point is that all of this is always very subjective. What makes one person crap their pants may make another person say "meh".

• Like 4

I have a question for ya Wesker...I'm making an effort not to be a douche like I was before...it was uncalled for. But as always I'm going to stick up for my house.

How long have you been attending Horror Nights?

This is only my 7th year...5 of which being a scareactor...and I will admit the 1st couple years I was a big chicken-shit. But I am tremendously harder to scare now especially being on the other side of things...my point being that you seem like a hard one to scare. I'm telling you I am getting A LOT of damn good scares in my placement in the house. Even getting the comments/look-and-point saying "You got me."

So maybe try to look at it by seeing others get scared because maybe you don't get scared easily or we are just not getting the timing with you. I know you said it isn't doing it for YOU...but you can't say its relying on set design. Its not JUST set design because I am reading things that are saying its the scares too. Gothic is one of the top houses, if not THE top house and you can't get that on set design alone. So scareactors are doing something right in their placements

don't take it personally, duder. Nothing makes this KID happy. A million dollars could land in his lap, and he'd probably complain that it wasn't in alphabetical order. Seriously. Don't waste your time.

• Like 5

every time i go to this house i have a blast. A lot of people agree too. This house is very very good. I am glad i can go multiple times just to see this. one of my favorite houses of all time too. one of those houses where you can tell how much and how well they worked on it. definitely worth going to HHN alone.

this and Dead end, make my day

Since I haven't mastered all the features of this board yet..I'll have to hope that whoever reads this understands that I'm referring to the last two posts....

HOUSE OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all of YOU who have REPEATEDLY come back to the Cathederal...

and please.....please keep coming back...we love the HNN stalkers and its always a pleasure to see you

• Like 2

Went through this house yesterday, not gonna judge until I go through it more than once. I liked the scenery throughout this house, but that was about it. This house was the least scary besides The Walking Dead in my opinion. After a couple more run throughs hopefully my opinion will get better.

Edited by Giorules

This house in my opinion is house of the year. Amazing facade, amazing sets, terrifying scares. This is everything Legendary Truth should've been and I haven't had a bad run through yet. Plus all the amazing effects with the ghosts. Just a perfect house.

Wrong thread^^ lol meant to write that in the Dead End thread. Gothic was a close second though.

OMG you guys, this house. I don't even. PERFECTION, IT HAS HAPPENED.

Not so much with the scares (it didn't seem like there were a lot of scareactors in there compared to other houses, but I may have been missing them. I was there on the second night, and went through five times so either it was slow in there that night or I was really unlucky?) but I actually didn't mind here since I was less distracted and more able to enjoy the stunning sets. God. This house was beautiful up to the very end.

So, I suck at explaining specific points of rad without hitting some mild spoilers. I don't think it's enough to be freaked out over, but just in case, if you want to know nothing at all about this house quit reading now thanks.

- The facade had me excited before I even got inside. What is with the facades this year? It seems like they've all been higher quality than usual. Plus I minored in art history, so gothic cathedral entrance = YESSSSSSSSS.

- The gargoyle costumes had the potential to look really really stupid, but they were beautiful and terrifying.

- Quasimodo! Not giving away the scare, but I was pretty sure I saw the scare coming and nope. got me anyway due to a really clever bait and switch. Well done, both of you!

- The hall full of candles was so stunning that I almost didn't look up (which, btw, YOU SHOULD TOTALLY DO)

- I never got to the Dead Silence house, but I'm assuming the effect where you look down on the church was similar to the catwalk effect there? It was amazing, I really felt like I was up in the rafters.

- The outside scene; I don't know if there was supposed to be a scare there, if so I never hit it. But I don't care. It was so beautifully done, I was completely overawed.

It should go without saying after all of the gushing, but this was absolutely the best house for me.

In conclusion: UNIVERSAL? MORE OF THIS KIND OF THING PLZ.

• Like 2

Guest kiwisoup

don't take it personally, duder. Nothing makes this KID happy. A million dollars could land in his lap, and he'd probably complain that it wasn't in alphabetical order. Seriously. Don't waste your time.

No kidding...I'm not even a regular here and I'm already beyond annoyed with his bs. He acts like some self-righteous god of HHN and does nothing but complain about almost EVERYTHING. I actually got the most scares in this house both times I went through...the timing was right on for me and I'd say this is my second favorite house. A couple people in our group cited this as their favorite. I wouldn't say it's "meh" by any means.

- The outside scene; I don't know if there was supposed to be a scare there, if so I never hit it. But I don't care. It was so beautifully done, I was completely overawed.

I hope you have more nights at HHN planned because you do need to see the scareactors in this scene in action. Trust me.

No kidding...I'm not even a regular here and I'm already beyond annoyed with his bs. He acts like some self-righteous god of HHN and does nothing but complain about almost EVERYTHING. I actually got the most scares in this house both times I went through...the timing was right on for me and I'd say this is my second favorite house. A couple people in our group cited this as their favorite. I wouldn't say it's "meh" by any means.

He really is a nice fellow if you ever get to know him. Very high-strung though.

Thankfully he has mellowed much since his early days on the Vault.

But yes, I disagree with him quite a bit on this house, and we are still friends.

• Like 1

I hope you have more nights at HHN planned because you do need to see the scareactors in this scene in action. Trust me.

He really is a nice fellow if you ever get to know him. Very high-strung though.

Thankfully he has mellowed much since his early days on the Vault.

But yes, I disagree with him quite a bit on this house, and we are still friends.

I would be afraid of meeting Wesker actually :mellow:

Edited by Mr. Black

After going through this house for a second run through I think it's safe to say it's grande, it's beautiful, but all the scares are in the foreground. It doesn't benefit as much from a 3rd or 4th walkthrough like so many other houses do. I think it's great, and I love what they did, but there aren't all the little details like there are in many of the other houses to catch on the 3rd or 4th walkthrough. Still impressed.

• Like 1

I'v noticed that a few people were complaining about the cathedral scene. 

the mirror that reflected the illusion of the the cathedral was actually one huge mirror, until it broke. As you can imagine it's hard to come by a mirror that size, so they ended up just using multiple mirrors.

• Like 1

I'v noticed that a few people were complaining about the cathedral scene.

the mirror that reflected the illusion of the the cathedral was actually one huge mirror, until it broke. As you can imagine it's hard to come by a mirror that size, so they ended up just using multiple mirrors.

so we should be glad we have mirrors at all, It would have sucked to have missed that

Went through this house several times this weekend and was not disappointed. I finally got to see a couple of things I missed last weekend, and the cast here was on fire, especially when I took my friend through for her first visit on Sunday and she got just about every scare there was. It was fantastic, and a great way to start off our night.

• Like 1

A really high intensity run through last night! The gargoyle in the very first room throttled me roundly - and the best reaction of all was the guest freaking out behind me! :) Had several close encounters in those first couple of rooms, and thoroughly enjoyed them all. I was finally able to provide the condiment of choice to the guardian of the belltower - hopefully that will provide safe passage throughout the rest of the event.

Scares were very on point last night - and house is lovely as always. Kudos to all of you, I look forward to my next trip!

• Like 1

• Mark M. changed the title to Gothic