HHN 22 Discussion

Plus the walking dead is overrated and didn't want it to be the theme this year nor did I want the event to become like Hollywood!

I believe the 9 million people who watched the Season 2 finale would disagree. Not only that, as a franchise the walking dead comic issue 100 was the best selling indie comic this century. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it overrated.

Edited by AaronPaHHNFan
  • Like 2

^ That was written mostly because I was angry that the reveal sucked and they hadn't released the street atmosphere descriptions so I felt very disappointed at the time. Plus the walking dead is overrated and didn't want it to be the theme this year nor did I want the event to become like Hollywood! And I sent him that message the same time I posted that on the HHN page so both messages had to do with the same thing.

what's so bad about Hollywood? Have you been? Do you know what it's like out there?

Here's the thing, I can say this with most (not all, most) people on here: You're so quick to hate on something. You run with your pitchforks in hands chasing after Universal because they do something different, or use IP's or whatever the case may be. You blame Comcast (which is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard) for a bad year, or blame Potter or a gaggle of other reason for it. Nobody can just GO and have fun. You people have to nitpick about EVERYTHING and you haven't even BEEN to the event yet. It's still like 25 days away and people are already saying "worst year ever." Seriously? Like... seriously? Everybody complained that they knew everything before the reveal and that was Universal's fault? WHAT? You're the one asking for more and more and more from the people who have "the inside scoop" and then you bash Universal for not delivering more than what you know? That's psychotic.

I'm honestly done with this community. All you guys do is bring everybody else down. To the few of you who I know personally or met in the park and we stay in touch, please stay in touch.

It's the Vault all over again and I just don't want to be associated with you guys anymore. Sorry.

• Like 2

what's so bad about Hollywood? Have you been? Do you know what it's like out there?

I have been to the Hollywood event twice and they always have nearly the same scarezones, same houses, and same costumes ect. I always preferred Orlando's over Hollywood because of its uniqueness every year as well as original ideas thanks to the A&D's who don't care about marketing like Hollywood but enjoy making their own creations come to life! Alot of us just like change and are use to the event being the same and so far bein the same has been successful, however I am not bashing the event. I just feel let down compared to years like 08 and 10. I'm ready for anything though and I am still very excited about the event as always.

Edited by HHN Explorer
  • Like 1

nor did I want the event to become like Hollywood!

Hollywood's event isn't all bad.... Just look back at their 1992, 1997-2000 event years....

And I'll say it again... if it wasn't for their 1986 event, we probably wouldn't have seen Fright Nights in 1991.

• Like 2

I have been to the Hollywood event twice and they always have nearly the same scarezones, same houses, and same costumes ect. I always preferred Orlando's over Hollywood because of its uniqueness every year as well as original ideas thanks to the A&D's who don't care about marketing like Hollywood but enjoy making their own creations come to life!

NOES, Dead Silence, Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw, The Thing, The Thing (remake), Saw, Wolfman, Chucky, Dracula, Frankenstein, Silent Hill, Walking Dead, House of Horrors, all of The Mummy houses, People Under the Stairs, the Psycho houses, Silver Screams, All Nite Die-In, Horrorwood Die-In, Cryptkeeper, etc.

Hollywood may not always be original, but Orlando is nowhere near an event of solely original concepts. And IP's aren't always awful houses...

Edited by Tbad556

the Hollywood event always have nearly the same scarezones, same houses, and same costumes ect.

Um.... Orlando has had the same scarezones, houses, costumes before... they had the PsychoPath house 3 years in a row. Midway of the Bizarre was a scarezone that wasn't looked at as a "oh god, this again", but instead as an annual tradition. The point is, the reason for repeating/recycling things is to save budget.

• Like 2

NOES, Dead Silence, Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw, The Thing, The Thing (remake), Saw, Wolfman, Chucky, Dracula, Frankenstein, Silent Hill, Walking Dead, House of Horrors, all of The Mummy houses, People Under the Stairs, the Psycho houses, Silver Screams, All Nite Die-In, Horrorwood Die-In, Cryptkeeper, etc.

Hollywood may not always be original, but Orlando is nowhere near an event of solely original concepts.

But you have to look at how spread out those years are for those houses. Hollywood has the most of the same every year with a few exceptions. Last year was all original with the exception of The Thing. So was 2010. Hollywood has never had a year with some type of house based on a property. And with the few repeat houses UO does have they change them up and make the stories completely different. They're like sequels, not repeats. Hollywood has repeats ex: CLOWNZ, Freddy, Jason, Texas Chainsaw, and La Lorena or whatever it's called.

Edited by HHN Explorer

It amazes me how people bitch about people bitching! :)

Listen, EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion, positive or negative. Just because were fans of the event doesn't mean we won't have negative things to say about it or Universal, not everyone is going to be excited about this year, some of us will love it! We want to hear what people think, good, bad, or downright ugly!

Sure, it's tough to be negative about the event when none of us have experienced it yet. However it's safe to say people can be negative about things that happened up to now, from the issue of streets due to the Superstar Parade, losing the JAWS queue, the sudden loss of Sound Stage 44, collaboration with Hollywood, only 7 houses, a less than stellar reveal, and even "Street Experiences" instead of elaborate scare zone sets.

If we all were happy happy about everything all the time, things would get kind of boring. I do agree though, everyone should go into this year with an open mind. I can't wait to read reviews from everyone to get the real impression on how all this will turn out!

Just my 2 cents on that issue!

• Like 7

But you have to look at how spread out those years are for those houses.

Spread out?.... here is a run through of all "direct IPs"

I did not include ones the "inspired by" (Buffy, Event Horizon, Ghost Ship, From Dusk Till Dawn, etc) houses/scarezones.

1991- classic monsters

1992- People Under The Stairs

1993- People Under The Stairs, Psycho

1994- Psycho

1995- Universal's House of Horror, Crypt Keeper

1996- Universal's New House of Horrors, Crypt Keeper

1997- Universal's Museum of Horror

1998- Universal's Museum of Horror

1999- The Mummy, Psycho, Universal's Creature Features

2000- Universal Classic Monster Mania

2001- The Mummy Returns

2002- Jurassic Park, Marvel Comics

2003- All Nite Die-In (4 IPs)

2004- Horror In Wax (featured universal classic monsters)

2006- All Nite Die-In: Take 2 (4 IPs)

2007- Dead Silence, NOES, TCM, F13, The THING

2008- Doomsday

2009- Wolfman, Chucky, Dracula, Frankenstein, SAW, SilverScreams/Horrorwood Die-In (multiple IPs), 2 Fangoria Magazine sponsored houses, Cirque Du Freak

2011- The THING

Edited by WESKER69
  • Like 1

I did not include ones the "inspired by" (Buffy, Event Horizon, Ghost Ship, From Dusk Till Dawn, etc) houses/scarezones.

1991- classic monsters

1994- Psycho

2001- The Mummy Returns

2008- Doomsday

2009- Wolfman, Chucky, Dracula, Frankenstein, SAW, SilverScreams/Horrorwood Die-In (multiple IPs), 2 Fangoria Magazine sponsored houses, Cirque Du Freak

2011- The THING

You just proved my point. One IP house spread out through the years with the exception of a few years. Hollywood has at least 2 to 3 every year for marketing purposes. UO has only about one a year spread out since the beginning. It's ok to have an IP house, but when they outnumber "original" houses it gets a bit annoying to me. I could care less about popularity with brands. And inspired by is ok because in film school we learn that almost anything anymore is either inspired by or a parody off of something else. It's nearly impossible to create an original idea these days without accidently basing it off of another idea. Its how the production world works. I'm not trying to argue here, I just want to avoid UO becoming Hollywood or sharing the same houses. That's why I'm glad they saved two original houses this year and I'm excited for GOTHIC and DEAD END. To be clear, I am not bashing this years event and I am going in with an open mind. I was just asking a simple question to Patrick as to why the huge and drastic change to the format. I expect to be blown away like every year. I just preferred the past years over this one, thats all.

Edited by HHN Explorer

Here's the thing, I can say this with most (not all, most) people on here: You're so quick to hate on something. You run with your pitchforks in hands chasing after Universal because they do something different, or use IP's or whatever the case may be. You blame Comcast (which is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard) for a bad year, or blame Potter or a gaggle of other reason for it. Nobody can just GO and have fun. You people have to nitpick about EVERYTHING and you haven't even BEEN to the event yet. It's still like 25 days away and people are already saying "worst year ever." Seriously? Like... seriously? Everybody complained that they knew everything before the reveal and that was Universal's fault? WHAT? You're the one asking for more and more and more from the people who have "the inside scoop" and then you bash Universal for not delivering more than what you know? That's psychotic.

I'm honestly done with this community. All you guys do is bring everybody else down. To the few of you who I know personally or met in the park and we stay in touch, please stay in touch.

It's the Vault all over again and I just don't want to be associated with you guys anymore. Sorry.

This year's houses will be amazing, really amazing, I have no doubt, they all sound really great,

Hollywood's event isn't all bad.... Just look back at their 1992, 1997-2000 event years....

And I'll say it again... if it wasn't for their 1986 event, we probably wouldn't have seen Fright Nights in 1991.

Hollywood may not always be original, but Orlando is nowhere near an event of solely original concepts. And IP's aren't always awful houses...

But you have to look at how spread out those years are for those houses. Hollywood has the most of the same every year with a few exceptions. Last year was all original with the exception of The Thing. So was 2010. Hollywood has never had a year with some type of house based on a property. And with the few repeat houses UO does have they change them up and make the stories completely different. They're like sequels, not repeats. Hollywood has repeats ex: CLOWNZ, Freddy, Jason, Texas Chainsaw, and La Lorena or whatever it's called.

1991- classic monsters

1994- Psycho

2001- The Mummy Returns

2008- Doomsday

2011- The THING

WHY Are we even talking about Hollywood? how does that have to do with anything?

I LOVE IP houses, they are really awesome, I for one am really happy when they do IP houses, I love them, some of my favorite houses are IP houses,

Uni can recycle costumes and sets if they change the story, I don't mind that at all,

it would suck if they did the exact same house 2,3 times a year, but they don't they Never have, we have never had the same exact house, we have sequels, but those are okay too

• Like 3

You just proved my point. One IP house spread out through the years with the exception of a few years. Hollywood has at least 2 to 3 every year for marketing purposes. UO has only about one a year spread out since the beginning. It's ok to have an IP house, but when they outnumber "original" houses it gets a bit annoying to me. I could care less about popularity with brands. And inspired by is ok because in film school we learn that almost anything anymore is either inspired by or a parody off of something else. It's nearly impossible to create an original idea these days without accidently basing it off of another idea. Its how the production world works. I'm not trying to argue here, I just want to avoid UO becoming Hollywood or sharing the same houses. That's why I'm glad they saved two original houses this year and I'm excited for GOTHIC and DEAD END. To be clear, I am not bashing this years event and I am going in with an open mind. I was just asking a simple question to Patrick as to why the huge and drastic change to the format. I expect to be blown away like every year. I just preferred the past years over this one, thats all.

You do realize that the event hasn't always been 7/8 houses, right?

91 had 1 house.

98 had 5 if I remember correctly.

I think 01 only had 5.

Chris probably has the house count somewhere.

I still think they were wrong dropping the number of houses, lines are long enough as is. Doesn't matter how many houses there use to be cause not that many people attended

There's a difference between dropping houses by choice and dropping them by necessity. This year was an example of the latter.

• Like 3

You do realize that the event hasn't always been 7/8 houses, right?

91 had 1 house.

98 had 5 if I remember correctly.

I think 01 only had 5.

Chris probably has the house count somewhere.

Im not saying house count. I'm saying IP's outnumbering "originals" I know there's been different numbers and I am not complaining about 7...they better make up for the lost house though.

Im not saying house count. I'm saying IP's outnumbering "originals" I know there's been different numbers and I am not complaining about 7...they better make up for the lost house though.

If you're upset about losing a house, im sorry.

Of course I do Heather... but i've done my token "list" for the day :P

There's a difference between dropping houses by choice and dropping them by necessity. This year was an example of the latter.

This is not entirely true. It was laziness. There could've easily been an 8th house, they just chose not to have one. Its the same crap with shows, they can easily have at least a total of 4 shows (and more), but they choose not to. Necessity is not the issue with HHN...

• Like 4

If you're upset about losing a house, im sorry.

He said he wasn't complaining about only having 7, but Is it wrong to be upset about losing a house? We had 6 and 8 embedded in our minds, and never figured the event would go backwards, Although this year was a victim of circumstance and wasn't by choice, people will still not be happy about it.

I don't understand what the issue is here with people not liking something? Are we not allowed to have negative thoughts? Everything has to be positive? Or is it the fact that some just complain over an event that should just be fun and it is what it is? Take a wait and see approach? I'm with the later, but should we sit here and talk down about the people that just don't like it?

I'm just lost with some of the things I've seen today.

Proceed.

• Like 2

Having a house just for the sake of having an 8th house and it not being good would be a waste. I am concerned with. Lack of a house or immersive zones creating longer lines. Honestly I haven't enjoyed a B&T show in quite a while and will not even attempt to view this year. The last show I enjoyed was Rocky. Seeing this year I'm only making it one day Sun Sept 30 I'm in it for the houses. Plain and simple, I believe I will enjoy them, the zones I really have little faith in. The commercial was good... It being a mix of Orlando and hollywood does not make me happy. I view the events as totally being separate... Yet it just seems this year tied too close together. I hate to be skeptical and really haven't been in he past, I've been let down in previous years (last years zones were bad) and I had high hopes or... This year I'm just more cautious with my optimism

We only have just about 20 days left, then we'll get some real reviews!

The lack of a 7th house don't bother me at all, but I think it will make the lines longer all around, maybe even make the express line longer than normal as well with people thinking the same thing! I'm personally excited to see how the streets play out!

I just get upset that people think the lack of an 8th will make this event "not as good" as past events. Im just stressed out from reading the HHN FB page.

I look at that page and just think this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlrBQSFayto

This post just made my day. I 100% agree. I feel like each year there is always something that people feel warrants this reaction, and in the end the event ends up being a success and amazing anyway.

Having a house just for the sake of having an 8th house and it not being good would be a waste. I am concerned with. Lack of a house or immersive zones creating longer lines. Honestly I haven't enjoyed a B&T show in quite a while and will not even attempt to view this year. The last show I enjoyed was Rocky. Seeing this year I'm only making it one day Sun Sept 30 I'm in it for the houses. Plain and simple, I believe I will enjoy them, the zones I really have little faith in. The commercial was good... It being a mix of Orlando and hollywood does not make me happy. I view the events as totally being separate... Yet it just seems this year tied too close together. I hate to be skeptical and really haven't been in he past, I've been let down in previous years (last years zones were bad) and I had high hopes or... This year I'm just more cautious with my optimism

In my opinion, B&T hasnt been good since 06. Dont get me wrong its a great show, but it hasnt made me laugh since 06.

• Like 1

As for losings a house this year, it does not really bother me at all. to be honest, Even if there was only four or five houses every year (Not that I am saying I ever hope that they go to that, and if they did they would need to adjust the ticket price and really make those houses amazing), I would still be happy and excited for the event.

I grew up with only going through one haunted house a year, and those were not even close to being at the level that HHN houses are, so when I finally got to experience HHN and go through multiple houses at the same event and all for one price, it was an amazing experience. And even though I have been to HHN multiple years, I still feel the same way.