HHN 22 Discussion

As for losings a house this year, it does not really bother me at all. to be honest, Even if there was only four or five houses every year (Not that I am saying I ever hope that they go to that, and if they did they would need to adjust the ticket price and really make those houses amazing), I would still be happy and excited for the event.

I grew up with only going through one haunted house a year, and those were not even close to being at the level that HHN houses are, so when I finally got to experience HHN and go through multiple houses at the same event and all for one price, it was an amazing experience. And even though I have been to HHN multiple years, I still feel the same way.

I couldn't agree more

Can I ask what the big deal is if there are IP houses? Is the only reason people dislike them because they aren't "original"? Sure, I love the original ideas too but this is UNIVERSAL STUDIOS. IPs put you inside the movies, or in this year's case the TV show, music, and magic act. That's what the Studios is all about! If this was another park like the Six Flags chain or even HOS, then I can say that you have the right to complain about IPs over original creations... but this is Universal Studios, where you are supposed to "ride the movies"!

I'm not looking to get into any arguments, I just really want to know why there is such hatred for IP content...

• Like 3

Can I ask what the big deal is if there are IP houses? Is the only reason people dislike them because they aren't "original"? Sure, I love the original ideas too but this is UNIVERSAL STUDIOS. IPs put you inside the movies, or in this year's case the TV show, music, and magic act. That's what the Studios is all about! If this was another park like the Six Flags chain or even HOS, then I can say that you have the right to complain about IPs over original creations... but this is Universal Studios, where you are supposed to "ride the movies"!

I'm not looking to get into any arguments, I just really want to know why there is such hatred for IP content...

This. I think mainly people want stuff they've never seen before. They want to be brought into a world thats never been thought of. Im all for IP's and originality. Hell as long as there is a Horror Nights ill be fine.

Edited by Dr. D

A to the men my brother!

I'm in that rare percentage of fans that doesn't really care either way. IPs, originals, hybrids, in-breds, rednecks, who gives a shit? I go to this event to have fun, not dissect the content of each house.

It's a Halloween event. People need to learn to chill, relax and have a good time. It is what it is.

• Like 8

It is what it is.

And what it is is an event with TONS of love, care, and creativity put into it, no matter if it's IP or not.

We get NEW houses every year. None of them are the same from one year to another. We could be like BGW's HOS, which don't get me wrong is a great event, but this year 5 of the 6 houses are the same as last year. Yea, there will be a few changes inside them...but 5 of the 6 are still the same thing, in the same place, with the same theme. I don't think HHN fans realize how good they have it. This is one of the most well funded, creative events for a mass market that you can get.

Edited by Parkscope
  • Like 4

Exactly! Universal has always been about living the movies. I for one love IP houses, I haven't been into a single one that I didn't love. I like experiencing the movies because when I watch them I want to be in the environment myself and Universal lets me do just that. The resort as a whole mixes rides that deal with movies and original content as well. Now I would be awfully sad If I went to Universal and suddenly Spiderman, Jurassic Park, Mummy, Fj, etc. were all gone. For me I think horror nights is the same way. I love original content more than the next fan but you have to think, even if a house is an IP it's 100% original.

• Like 1

And what it is is an event with TONS of love, care, and creativity put into it, no matter if it's IP or not.

We get NEW houses every year. None of them are the same from one year to another. We could be like BGW's HOS, which don't get me wrong is a great event, but this year 5 of the 6 houses are the same as last year. Yea, there will be a few changes inside them...but 5 of the 6 are still the same thing, in the same place, with the same theme. I don't think HHN fans realize how good they have it. This is one of the most well funded, creative events for a mass market that you can get.

Exactamundo my friend...well put.

I'm not saying everyone has to love everything about the event. Everyone has their own opinion about what they like, what they want to see, etc.

Here's my thing (I'm going to get all philosophical on ya'll right about now):

*Start of philosophical rant*

if you can afford to go to the event, then you are much better off than so many people are...you have discretionary income that you can do what you want with. You aren't worried about whether to buy groceries or pay the power bill...your concerned if the streets this year are going to be what you want them to be or the houses will be up to par with your standards. Sometimes when I read the heated arguments about certain aspects of this event, it makes me want to smack some heads together to get folks to realize that what they are fighting over is completely ridiculous.

So appreciate the event for what it is, like Parkscope said, something that is put together with a lot of love, care and a shit ton of work. It's fun, nothing more, nothing less. Appreciate the fact you can log online, check out this website, the HHN website, attend the event, etc.

*End of philosophical rant*

• Like 8

I don't have a problem with real founded complaints (my friends over at OU know about the MK issues), and I can even see how people have become jaded over the years. It just makes sense, they offer a great product and it might be expensive but it's the best damned product there is. But there comes a point where it just gets to me and I have to say something. If you're complaining about house names or the event being to "blue" chances are you need to be called the fuck out. If you didn't like a house everyone else liked or are upset over the loss of a house, than that's your opinion and you have a right to voice it.

I think the ones of us who are complaining about the complainers (albeit, slightly paradoxical) just don't understand where this backlash has came from. The only thing I can think of is a reduction of houses and a lackluster website, but those things don't define the event. Ironically the people I see complaining most tend to be the people who enjoyed last year and 20 more so. It seems that most of the arguments that I see for this year supposedly "sucking" are very flawed as well, often citing that this year isn't very original when 2007 had 5 IP's and 2009 had 5ish as well (I say "ish" due to the Frankenstein and Dracula conundrum). If you go to the event and hate it, than bitch all you want. I just don't see how well founded these debates are for "This is the worst year ever", when the only really two negative things so far are a lack of a traditional website and a house reduction.

I've actually stayed away from the forums due to the overall lack of enthusiasm toward the event this year. Yes, I was a little disappointed to find out there'd be one less house, but it's really not that big of a deal. And, the idea that there should be no IP houses is absolutely ridiculous. The event is not meant to cater to one specific audience. This is Universal Studios, as someone has previously mentioned, and a lot of guests get more excited for things like "The Walking Dead" and "Saw". Hell, I've never seen a line nearly as long as the one for Saw. Universal has provided us with the best Halloween event for years. Why would this year be any different?

• Like 2

I for one am looking forward towards the new and different direction they are taking this year's event to. To be honest, I'm not disappointed about the loss of the 8th house. I'm all for quality, not quantity. No scare zones, but instead we are getting roaming hordes? Should be interesting and it's something "new."

I have actually said the same thing, the exact same thing before here:

if people wanted only original ideas they could go to Bush Gardens or Six Flags, seriously, Ive said the same thing,

we are lucky Universal gives us original houses in Orlando, look at Hollywood, they do a lot IP stuff, more than here, that could be us, but we get original houses,

this is a movie studio park...... seems kinda obvious we would get IP houses, we are lucky we don't get as many

Edited by Mr. Black

So, on another topic...

It looks like the Passholder "party" is going to be in Kid Zone, as usual. I'm really torn, since I really want to hang at Finnegan's before the big event. Still, it does give access at 5:00, as opposed to I think 5:30-5:45 for the normal Stay and Scream. I've historically done Stay and Scream at Kids Zone, but this just feels like a Finnegan's kind of year to me. Any thoughts from anyone else who is considering the same thing?

Also, fwiw, I have RSVP'd to all four nights, with a plus one. If anyone needs to be a +1, gimme a holler. I share :)

We only have just about 20 days left, then we'll get some real reviews!

The lack of a 7th house don't bother me at all, but I think it will make the lines longer all around, maybe even make the express line longer than normal as well with people thinking the same thing! I'm personally excited to see how the streets play out!

I honestly am afraid for the lines,

I hope 20 penny circus takes in some of the crowd, and hopefully Despicable me will be open, but the lines might be annoyingly long.

I am a little more worried that as of right now we only have 6 scarezones, I know Wesker said the Walkers will be back, but the fact that they took them out makes me wonder what's going on? why would they take them out?

if the problem was with the use of the word Walker, why not just replace it, call it anything else,

I am expecting 7 houses 8 street zones, if we only get 6 zones for some reason, That would be pretty annoying

So, on another topic...

It looks like the Passholder "party" is going to be in Kid Zone, as usual. I'm really torn, since I really want to hang at Finnegan's before the big event. Still, it does give access at 5:00, as opposed to I think 5:30-5:45 for the normal Stay and Scream. I've historically done Stay and Scream at Kids Zone, but this just feels like a Finnegan's kind of year to me. Any thoughts from anyone else who is considering the same thing?

Also, fwiw, I have RSVP'd to all four nights, with a plus one. If anyone needs to be a +1, gimme a holler. I share :)

I'm torn too.

I love Finnegans, but the Passholder party is going to be a great for me on the 21st. I think it's the only way I will be able to get into the event early due to timing issues.

I think I may skip it on the 22nd. That way I get my Finnegans fix on opening weekend.

Also, with house locations this year, I don't know if our usual game plan will work. So, I think it will be cool to try something new one night.

Btw, has anyone heard call times? Do we know which houses will open when?

So, on another topic...

Do you happen to have the link? As usual I never get that info...

I booked all the AP parties.. even though I might not make them all I will be at at least the two Friday's.

Would it be safe to say that "The Iniquitus" are some sort of icon group or something?

I would say they are probably the dudes with the cloaks. I'm guessing they will be in CP... and I'm gussing they will be staionary. (That's a lot of guessing :P) They are basically our backstory.

I am still a little confused about the street experiences. I see that they are roaming hordes, but is it done in a way that no matter where you are they will be there, or that the hordes switch to specific zones throughout the night? Don't get me wrong, I am totally excited for this idea, but I need more clarity so I know what to expect...

Btw, has anyone heard call times? Do we know which houses will open when?

if its anything like the last few years, it should be SH and HoH at 5:45, AC and Gothic at 6, Dead End at 6:15(maybe 6:30. not 100% on that) and P&T/TWD at 6:30. It's the way it's been since 08, so that's my guess.

if its anything like the last few years, it should be SH and HoH at 5:45, AC and Gothic at 6, Dead End at 6:15(maybe 6:30. not 100% on that) and P&T/TWD at 6:30. It's the way it's been since 08, so that's my guess.

Hmmm, I'm trying to remember how early the houses opened for the Passholder party last year.

I don't think we had to wait till 5:45 for The Forsaken and I think the In-Between opened like 15 minutes after that.

I've gone to many years, times have started to blend together.

I need to come up with a game plan for this year, and with Jaws being gone, I'm just not sure which way to go.