HHN XXI Speculation

Mark M.

As for the suggestion of doing something based on Norse mythology, that does make some sense. #1- Hades last year proved that a mythology themed house can be successful and creative. #2- the popularity of Thor right now makes an easy marketing hook for a house of this type. I'm fully aware that Thor has no affiliation with Universal but sometimes A&D will do an unofficial house based around a premise that seems to be popular in pop culture at the moment. Think Hades = Clash of the Titans and Wyandot = Paranormal Activity. Thoughts?

This may have nailed that we could possibly have a Norse house. Lot's of potential (the Norse gods, Trolls, etc.) but one thing still makes me doubt that this "Rune Room" would be in a Norse house and that is its location. The Sprungs, from my understanding, generally have a more "intimate" feel that doesn't rely so much on spectacle. The soundstages are normally the home of the "epic" houses. Even with the success of Havoc and Catacombs, they didn't have an "epic" or sizable feel to them. They were effective because they were intimate. I can't imagine another "mythology" house not being in a soundstage for that very reason.

I said it I would love to see Norse mythology represented fully! There are so many crazy legends.

I liked hades but there was one huge problem I had with it...

hades.jpg

I hear ya!!! I still don't know how such a glaring oversight made it through to the final event. Crazy. Even my family (who are casual HHN-goers) were so confused by it.

Sadly there is no sign of a clue

I got an email yesterday that Rock The Universe tickets are on sale. Is this early? If so, does anyone know if we will get Halloween Horror Night ticket sales early this year?

I got an email yesterday that Rock The Universe tickets are on sale. Is this early? If so, does anyone know if we will get Halloween Horror Night ticket sales early this year?

The generic website went up June 14 last year, and select tickets (General Admission and Express passes) went on sale that day. The other ticket options (FFP, FFP+, etc.) didn't go on sale until much later, I think it was near the end of July. I'm guessing it will be around the same time this year, but who knows, they seem to be doing things a little earlier without Potter in the way.

I'd love to see a return to The Hallow. It was a great premise that could be explored more. Plus- I love it whenever A&D can put the "Halloween" back into "Halloween Horror Nights".

Oh how I'd love to see them explore that idea more. That house was kick ass, and I agree. When A&D does the Halloween theme, it always seems to work. Probably because it's the easiest to do, but it's easily the best theme because of the feel and atmosphere it gives.

So I'm assuming this thread just went up now because the website for HHN is down?

Because that website is totes down, just saying. They're probably moving to the generic setup, archives or otherwise.

I hear ya!!! I still don't know how such a glaring oversight made it through to the final event. Crazy. Even my family (who are casual HHN-goers) were so confused by it.

I sat up on it as a Army of Hades guy for a bit. Feels good up there just only got to sit there when it was closing. Would have been kickass to get a Hades on there maybe even make him look like Shao Kahn! Would have been perfect to work with a guy up there so we can make the people feel like it was all over when they entered our room and that they are gunna be dealt with by his personal bodyguards for the finale! boy how i miss that room and Hades overall :(.

Oh how I'd love to see them explore that idea more. That house was kick ass, and I agree. When A&D does the Halloween theme, it always seems to work. Probably because it's the easiest to do, but it's easily the best theme because of the feel and atmosphere it gives.

Count me in as well. The Hallow was my favorite House that year. I'd LOVE to see them do more with more traditional Halloween themes, and the Hallow was a RELENTLESS scarefest for me as I went through it. As an eight-year veteran of this event, it's sometimes hard for the scareactors to genuinely scare me, but the Hallow had me scared to death by the time I got out of it. I think a big part of that was the fact that it had the weight of history and tradition behind it. That house was a true celebration of why Halloween was once a dreaded event, and I'm all for more of that awesome action.

It's been more than a few months since I've posted, so firstly, "Hello, again, everyone!" It's been fun catching up on the speculations so far. And secondly, this isn't so much speculation as it is a general -and probably obvious- question, but are the sprung tents typically the first to receive real construction attention every year? I've been doing a special event this week with Entertainment, and we used an empty SS22 for rehearsals. Also, I recently worked an Events detail for Grad Bash, and I noticed some of the pole bases for the Esqueleto Muerte scare zone were outside in that area. Was just wondering if the tents were used for storage, and if the sound stage houses were built piece by piece every year within their rightful spaces. Someone had once mentioned to me that the materials were stored yearly for cost efficient recycling, but to what extent the houses were disassembled wasn't mentioned.

It's been more than a few months since I've posted, so firstly, "Hello, again, everyone!" It's been fun catching up on the speculations so far. And secondly, this isn't so much speculation as it is a general -and probably obvious- question, but are the sprung tents typically the first to receive real construction attention every year? I've been doing a special event this week with Entertainment, and we used an empty SS22 for rehearsals. Also, I recently worked an Events detail for Grad Bash, and I noticed some of the pole bases for the Esqueleto Muerte scare zone were outside in that area. Was just wondering if the tents were used for storage, and if the sound stage houses were built piece by piece every year within their rightful spaces. Someone had once mentioned to me that the materials were stored yearly for cost efficient recycling, but to what extent the houses were disassembled wasn't mentioned.

*wave* How was your break? :lol:

The Soundstages have to remain "open" as much as possible during the year so it can be rentable space. The queues, obviously, have to be open during the summer. That means the Sprungs are traditionally are the first ones completed. Fake Productions, from my understanding, tries to not "build" all the houses at once, because that requires more man-power. If the Sprungs are reusing layouts (like 2 has for three years), then those two are focused to start with, because it allows them to start pulling stuff out of storage and using it immediately. The build is a "phased" process. Sprungs, Parade Building, Soundstages/Queues.

I could not find anything directly relating to "Rune Room" in The Hallow. There was a witch scene, the Halloween tree, and the opening scene with Haloween build up. I remember their being the Samhain's so I'm thinking that might have been what sparked my memory. I definitely remember there being runes in the house I just can't recall what part....

Here's a list of the rooms, mabye it will jog your memory:

-Hallow Appears (Crypt Facade)

-Traditions Revealed (Circular Room)

-Jack's Lantern

-Witch

-Legend/Story (Headless Horseman Hall)

-Mask

-Cats/Ravens

-Ghosts/Skeletons

-Trick r' Treat

-The Scarecrow

-Halloween Tree (Finale)

I personally feel that a true Halloween theme would be the very best idea A&D could ever do. A true Halloween theme has such an indescribable atmosphere and intimacy; with big industrial themes, you're just another person in the crowd. I think a "history of horror" type event could work. Pagan beliefs, Hades, Sleepy Hollow, Jack the Ripper, The Plague, Salem Witch Trials, Dia de los Muertos, Lizzie Borden, Voodoo, and Harvest Season are a few ideas on the historic side. But then of course you would include your traditional pumpkins, trick or treating, witches, ghosts, ect.

I think an event like this could be very very successful with fans and possibly guests, as well as having an outstanding atmosphere/quality/scares/and whatnot.

The Headless Horseman (simply being identified as “The Horseman” could be a wonderful icon of the event. Like Julian having the Palace and Fear having the lantern , the Horseman could use the Halloween Tree as the main symbolic image of the event.

Whatcha think?

Edited by The Director of Horror

OMG PUMPKIN!!!

The fun can officially begin.

Mae

OMG PUMPKIN!!!

The fun can officially begin.

Mae

Mae, I think you have made the same mistake I did when Pumpkin started posting here. This is not Kristen, but another lovely young lady using the ID Pumpkin. I don't know if Kristen who was Pumpkin on the Vault is even registered here on HNN.

Mae, I think you have made the same mistake I did when Pumpkin started posting here. This is not Kristen, but another lovely young lady using the ID Pumpkin. I don't know if Kristen who was Pumpkin on the Vault is even registered here on HNN.

I do not believe she is.

I personally feel that a true Halloween theme would be the very best idea A&D could ever do. A true Halloween theme has such an indescribable atmosphere and intimacy; with big industrial themes, you're just another person in the crowd. I think a "history of horror" type event could work. Pagan beliefs, Hades, Sleepy Hollow, Jack the Ripper, The Plague, Salem Witch Trials, Dia de los Muertos, Lizzie Borden, Voodoo, and Harvest Season are a few ideas on the historic side. But then of course you would include your traditional pumpkins, trick or treating, witches, ghosts, ect.

I think an event like this could be very very successful with fans and possibly guests, as well as having an outstanding atmosphere/quality/scares/and whatnot.

The Headless Horseman (simply being identified as “The Horseman” could be a wonderful icon of the event. Like Julian having the Palace and Fear having the lantern , the Horseman could use the Halloween Tree as the main symbolic image of the event.

Whatcha think?

I LOVE it!!! Like I said, the more "Halloween" in HHN, the better, as far as I'm concerned. I like that they've tried to bring it back a bit (with the pumpkins in Central Park) but I think we should always have some classic Halloween imagery integrated with anything new for each year. That's why I was such a fan of Field of Screams, The Hallow, and things like that. They just evoke that autumn, Halloween atmosphere,

Sorry to get off speculation too much. Maybe this is more wishful thinking. Ah well.

Until we have more clues, what else can we talk about? :rolleyes:

Dr. Jimmy is correct; I'm Nicole, AKA Pumpkin 2.0, apparently. People's hopes keep getting falsely raised when they see the handle, which I promise wasn't my intention when I picked that name. : \ I joined the Vault less than a month before it went down, so I didn't really create my presence -if it can even be called that- in the community until I came here.

I just watched the flash mob video on youtube and saw that during the rehearsal in SS 22 there was marked tape all over the floor. Could it have been the maze floorplan? Or was it just for the dancers?

That was the special event I mentioned before. We didn't really use the tape as dancers, but I believe it was laid down for the choreographers and coordinators to see from above on the stairs. It was supposed to mimic the diamond pattern that's on the ground in front of the park entrance and the globe, so we were told at least.

Dr. Jimmy is correct; I'm Nicole, AKA Pumpkin 2.0, apparently. People's hopes keep getting falsely raised when they see the handle, which I promise wasn't my intention when I picked that name. : \ I joined the Vault less than a month before it went down, so I didn't really create my presence -if it can even be called that- in the community until I came here.

That's okay! I can still be happy to see you! Let's party! :lol:

For legal purposes:

Would flash mobs be appropriate for HHN? How cool would the 'Thriller' mob dance (as seen in various YouTube videos) be right outside the front gates? I'd think it would have to be on a non-peak night, either 1 or more hours before the gates open OR an hour or so after. I don't know if anyone else would think it was cheesy, but I know the night one of our line monitors did an impromptu performance of it he got a rousing applause afterwards.

Mae

That's okay! I can still be happy to see you! Let's party! :lol:

For legal purposes:

Would flash mobs be appropriate for HHN? How cool would the 'Thriller' mob dance (as seen in various YouTube videos) be right outside the front gates? I'd think it would have to be on a non-peak night, either 1 or more hours before the gates open OR an hour or so after. I don't know if anyone else would think it was cheesy, but I know the night one of our line monitors did an impromptu performance of it he got a rousing applause afterwards.

Mae

First off, what Universal did yesterday for the Dispicable Me announcement was NOT a flash mob. For some reason, people in Orlando think a flash mob is people in "plain clothes" running from a crowd into an open space to put on a performance. It's not. That's a performance. The moment you start cordoning off an area to conduct your flash mob it ceases to be that.

Perfect example of a flash mob: Dozens of guys suddenly taking off their shirts in the middle of a New York Abercrombie and Fitch to mock the shirtless model up front.

Perfect example of a flash mob: A group of performers suddenly busting out with "Consider Yourself" in Time Square, complete with a cop (who didn't know it was a flash mob and was doing his job) trying to stop the "scuffle" that was the set up for the song.

Not a flash mob: What Orlando Tourism did at the Mall of Millenia a few of months back.

Not a flash mob: What Universal did for Dispicable Me. When you have constumed Minions walking out with attendants and no other guests around... it's not a flash mob.

Now that I got that out of my system (can you tell this bugs me)...

In Universal attempts to do what they did yesterday (blocking off a section of the street so the performance could occur), only with Zombies doing Thriller, sure. Would it be horribly cheesy and disrupt the flow (because guests would probably be more bugged than impressed, because it would block the entrance), yeah, but they could do it.

Could Universal attempt an ACTUAL "flash mob," where the scareactors in the middle of a scarezone suddenly break out into the Thriller dance, sure. It would probably be more enjoyable. It's still not necessarily a "flash mob," considering how corporate it is, but it would at least be truer to the form. You run into issues of spacing, meaning it could probably happen only on certain non-peak nights.

Personally, I don't like "theme park" flash mobs, because it's labeling something that it's not. Press releases saying it's going to happen and piping the music over the park sound system immediately takes away the flash mob mentality. The irony is that if an ACTUAL flash mob occured in a theme park, the participants could possibly get in trouble (especially at Disney. Universal might just shrug it off.).