Halloween Horror Nights 29 Speculation

Mark M.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:07 PM, OhHaiInternet95 said:

I’d be interested to hear your full review of last year, as always. :)

I don't like the character of Chucky either, but I thought they did a fantastic job with that zone--perfectly designed for parade space. Very inventive costumes and floats.

I would have put Killer Klowns all the way down Fifth Avenue and scrapped Vamp '85 altogether.

I, too, would've loved to drop HDD from the event entirely.

I didn't mind Vamp 85 because that's actually my graduation year.. that's MY era.  Was it the greatest scarezone ever?  Not by a long shot.. but I'd sit there all day and night before ever walking thru Chucky.  My two fave scarezones were KK and Twisted Traditions (because pumpkins in trees make my heart sing - don't even care what actors are in there).  

As for the "adult themed" event vs "under 18" event.. I don't understand why this is a discussion.  I've been going since 2005, and I don't see intensity changes in the overall event.  For me, there are always a couple of houses that will be "scarier" than the rest which plays to those of us who ALWAYS want it to be scarier.  I'm good with that because I also know "scary" is a very subjective thing.  I think HHN does a great job of having a wide range of themes for the houses, so they will scare as many people as possible.

Generally speaking though, I've always thought this was a PG-13 event.  Do I want to see a bunch of middle school kids taking the place over?  Hell no.. that's what Disney is for.  Realistically, I don't ever see that happening.  Let's use common sense.. Adults have JOBS and they can DRINK.. which means they have money.. oh, and they can DRINK.  Uni would be laughed out of the biz not to continue to court a very profitable segment of the population the way they do now.. that is:  Adult horror fans willing to drop hundreds on tix and merch - most often multiple times over during the length of the event.

I'm ok with some IP houses - even though the originals are always my favorites every year.  However, 28 rocked Poltergeist to such a degree that it damn near brought me to tears the first time I went through.  It was an outstanding tribute to a classic horror movie which also brought back my childhood.  You could feel A&D's passion oozing out of every nail, every crevice, every coffin in that house.  That being said, Scary Tales was my favorite house overall.. and I loved Seeds as well which I didn't expect to. I thought the scariest house was Dead Exposure though - mainly because of the strobe/dark combo really, really affects me.  Again, to my point - lots of variety, and I love that.  This is what I want to see year after year.  That way, when there is a turd in the punch bowl (looking at you Blumhouse), I'm ok with it because there is so much other stuff to spend time on. 

• Like 3

Here's a question: 

Could Horror Nights ever take on something animated? If fanboys clamoring that it'll turn HHN soft is a problem, there are plenty of adult animated horror films/shows that could easily make the cut. 

But, as we see from normal horror films at HHN, there are plenty of animated horror shows/films that are PG/PG-13 that could be used. I think Over The Garden Wall, for example, could work so well as a house or a Central Park scarezone, and thanks to its mature audience it wouldn't attract raving tweens. 

Edited by nebulaexpress

On 11/23/2018 at 5:24 PM, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Well, the only appearance of Mike Myers we've had on an odd year was unofficially, back in 2003. ;)

2005 also (Where Evil Hides).  That was also very unnoficial. 

[EDIT]: Sorry for the month-old correction.  I accidentally jumped to an old page and started reading...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nebulaexpress said:

Here's a question: 

Could Horror Nights ever take on something animated? If fanboys clamoring that it'll turn HHN soft is a problem, there are plenty of adult animated horror films/shows that could easily make the cut. 

But, as we see from normal horror films at HHN, there are plenty of animated horror shows/films that are PG/PG-13 that could be used. I think Over The Garden Wall, for example, could work so well as a house or a Central Park scarezone, and thanks to its mature audience it wouldn't attract raving tweens. 

[And don't come at me listing stuff about how Coraline and that kinda stuff would ruin HHN. They're Disney properties. They wouldn't be there in the first place.]

Two things - 

Coraline, specifically, is a Laika production. Laika Productions has a theme park-use agreement with... *Checks notes* ... Universal Studios.

"Over the Garden Wall," though weird and mature, is still a children's show. It was literally broadcast on Cartoon Network with Amazing World of Gumball as its lead-in. 

Now, I don't see why Universal wouldn't not do animated stuff. Treaks and Foons and Killer Klowns are, essentially, living cartoons. I think it's more an issue of desire and popularity. It wouldn't be something like "Garden Wall" though. It would be something along the lines of "Super Jail," "Mr. Pickles," or "Heavy Metal."

4 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Two things - 

Coraline, specifically, is a Laika production. Laika Productions has a theme park-use agreement with... *Checks notes* ... Universal Studios.

"Over the Garden Wall," though weird and mature, is still a children's show. It was literally broadcast on Cartoon Network with Amazing World of Gumball as its lead-in. 

Now, I don't see why Universal wouldn't not do animated stuff. Treaks and Foons and Killer Klowns are, essentially, living cartoons. I think it's more an issue of desire and popularity. It wouldn't be something like "Garden Wall" though. It would be something along the lines of "Super Jail," "Mr. Pickles," or "Heavy Metal."

Interesting. Shoulda fact checked, I thought Coraline was a Disney Production! I see what you mean though, I just think OTGW would be some good material. 

I swear one day I'll make the first animated horror show to be at horror nights 

Edited by nebulaexpress

22 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Two things - 

Seems like 2005 had a few similarities with Heavy Metal (ESPECIALLY the Den story). The stories being told from a regular house, a medieval village of sacrifices, a mine carrying savage creatures, and a very rough bar.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

15 hours ago, Ueeediot said:

Starting dates were announced, today.

HHN 29 will begin Sept 6 and run through Nov 2.   "Select nights"

@Legacy I can appreciate the PG13 HHN.  I really would like to see improvement in the scarezones.

Well, this isn't shocking at all.  
 I am on the fence about this upcoming year being the longest running event. 
 hopefully, first three weeks aren't full fledge weeks. 

I doubt it but you think that with this longer run will bring back midnight closes? 

I wonder if universal is actually prepared for this extend event?

On 12/16/2018 at 8:59 AM, littlegreenghouls said:

Well, this isn't shocking at all.  
 I am on the fence about this upcoming year being the longest running event. 
 hopefully, first three weeks aren't full fledge weeks. 

I doubt it but you think that with this longer run will bring back midnight closes? 

I wonder if universal is actually prepared for this extend event?

They are prepared.  If they could guarantee 2018 turnout numbers and start HHN in July, they would.  The next gate should be Universal Horror Park - a tent city of 36 houses rotating themes throughout the year.  Don't look at me that way - you know you'd buy a season pass to it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I remember going into AE for the first time with a group of band-mates during Magic Music Days. Our minds were straight up blown, and we ended up getting right back in line four or five times.

It still had that cute little "Disney-ness" to it, but then turned it on it's ear once everything starts going wrong.

I've always said, Disney is best when it has a little darkness mixed in with the saccharine sweetness. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, littlegreenghouls said:

we got the update with the event dates, yet we got the dates taken down. 
 Cold feet about that many dates? 
 I think they will offer some kind of deal in Jan to  get tickets sales. 

Well I think the reason why is because one its a little too early for them to put it out now since Grinchmas is going on and it's December but I think maybe in January things might come into full swing because also they usually release the dates in a teaser video like these past years, so its just wondering when they will release the teaser, I mean they changed the site with the Mascot Bones from HHN 27 and with the globe and HHN logo on it, so only time will tell when Universal will start talking about HHN but with Hollywood already almost done with Maze 1 and Maze 2, I bet we won't hear much from Orlando yet, I do hope for an announcement for January but I feel like they'll wait for March or April, then again who knows, I'm just excited that that information had gone out and people are already booking for those dates and there is a reason for why Rock The Universe had gotten knocked back to February.

17 hours ago, BoSoxFan1022 said:

I think we will get at least one slasher, hopefully nightmare on elm street

I love Nightmare On Elm Street but its a hit or miss if they'd bring it, I mean it was big rumor or one of the big rumors for last year and never happened, though we've had it once and Hollywood has had it countless of times, I would love to see another crack at it especially only seeing Freddy and Jason one last at 25 in their house and again in the All Die In scarezone, it would be cool to go back to Elm Street one more time but hopefully with a best of from all the films.

On 12/16/2018 at 6:07 PM, themazethinker said:

now i know this is unlikely, but a movie adaptation of the russian sleep experiment is coming out next year (it will probably be released theatrically by the looks of it). are we likely to see it as a maze next year?

Honestly I would love to see that happen, its one of my favorite Creeypastas, I remembered learning about it from my friends in school and to see now that there is a movie happening for it, I think it would be interesting to see happen at HHN, but honestly I'd like to see their own original take on it rather do a movie adaption of it, I mean what happen with Slenderman still makes me ehhh but I would love to see it happen as a maze, same goes for the La Llorana movie even though Universal had done their own take on the urban legend and hit the nail on the head, one of my favorite mazes from HHN 23 :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, littlegreenghouls said:

well, with the  Deal with Crypt tv for Hollywood might be west coast deal.
 I want to see a Crypt tv house, I doubt it would happen.

I just want something year round to be honest.  

Well by the looks of it, if we get a Crypt TV, they would probably want HHN to do a Hollywood Harry maze, I mean they already had him the Terror Tram twice now, I wouldn't mind seeing him in his own maze and giving more backstory to his character than before, I mean on the Horror Night app, they had a little documentary of him and they could have it play as a queue video outside the maze as well, I think they also had it on tram, I'm not sure but it would be cool to see it happen

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, littlegreenghouls said:

well, with the  Deal with Crypt tv for Hollywood might be west coast deal.
 I want to see a Crypt tv house, I doubt it would happen.

I just want something year round to be honest.  

Another thing is that you gave me idea, if Universal wants to take a break from doing another Blumhouse Of Horrors house, they could maybe work with Crypt TV and doing a three deal type house in like they originally did you know with Blumhouse, they could make work and use key scenes from each short films, it would work in the long run, idk what the facade would look but they could concoct one that would work out very well and maybe do something like they did with the Purge but maybe have The Look-See catching you after going through each scene you know, The Look-See seems to be Crypt TVs' mascot in a way, so I wouldn't mind seeing it happen in the future.

If Universal does another Blumhouse Of Horrors I feel like it is going to have HDD2U and possibly since the new Purge film is going to be the last film, Universal are going to probably have both films in one maze or another interesting thing is that they could take The Purges' place with The Gallows? It is said Blumhouse have already finished filming this along with HDD2U so why not put both in one maze right? Hopefully they don't make it repetitive and by the looks of the new trailer of HDD2U, I think there are some scenes they could work with, one of the scenes in the trailer I saw a row of Baby Mask mannequins which looks identical to what Hollywood's maze in 2017 had so scenes like that could possibly return to maybe our version of the maze and Hollywood's,  anyways and having seen  The Purge return once again but based off the USA tv series having that mixed with the last Purge film, I could see them using the last purge film as maybe a standalone maze and the tv series being used as a scarezone like they did with 2017's The Horrors Of Blumhouse, so those ideas could be up in the air at the moment but Universal could try and use those in some way.

2 minutes ago, littlegreenghouls said:

Blumhouse is the main backer of Crypt tv. 

Yeah that's the thing if Universal decides to not do another Horrors Of Blumhouse, it'd be better to use the same concept but Crypt TV. it'll be Hollywood but hopefully it would branch out to Orlando as well. I love some of the Crypt TV. Look-See and The Birch are two of my favorites and there is also Sunny Family Cult which me and my girlfriend enjoy, it would really be cool to see them try to bring some of the stuff from Crypt TV. to the event, they would better as a house than a scarezone, I hope they never try to make a scarezone for it.

• Love 1

11 hours ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

Well by the looks of it, if we get a Crypt TV, they would probably want HHN to do a Hollywood Harry maze, I mean they already had him the Terror Tram twice now, I wouldn't mind seeing him in his own maze and giving more backstory to his character than before, I mean on the Horror Night app, they had a little documentary of him and they could have it play as a queue video outside the maze as well, I think they also had it on tram, I'm not sure but it would be cool to see it happen

I love to see Hollywood go all in with an icon.  They have been so half-hearted in the past with Jack and the Director.  But Murdy seems to like clowns.  Two original characters were clown based (Sweet Licks and Hollywood Harry).  He has really fleshed out the Hollywood Harry character, who is essentially a clown version of HR BloodNGutz.  In fact, I think a great way of making a Hollywood Harry house would be a concept of Harry and his cohorts taking over an HHN house.  So imagine that HHN was going to present, say, a generic vampire house, but Harry and his cohorts have broken in and are torturing the staff (a'la Larry Kurtzberg).  So you have a vampire themed house overrun by clowns, torturing the vampire actors.  Whatever theme the house would have been.  A reality meets fantasy concept.  

• Like 2

On 12/18/2018 at 4:12 AM, HorrorUnearthed said:

Well I think the reason why is because one its a little too early for them to put it out now since Grinchmas is going on and it's December but I think maybe in January things might come into full swing because also they usually release the dates in a teaser video like these past years, so its just wondering when they will release the teaser, I mean they changed the site with the Mascot Bones from HHN 27 and with the globe and HHN logo on it, so only time will tell when Universal will start talking about HHN but with Hollywood already almost done with Maze 1 and Maze 2, I bet we won't hear much from Orlando yet, I do hope for an announcement for January but I feel like they'll wait for March or April, then again who knows, I'm just excited that that information had gone out and people are already booking for those dates and there is a reason for why Rock The Universe had gotten knocked back to February.

I love Nightmare On Elm Street but its a hit or miss if they'd bring it, I mean it was big rumor or one of the big rumors for last year and never happened, though we've had it once and Hollywood has had it countless of times, I would love to see another crack at it especially only seeing Freddy and Jason one last at 25 in their house and again in the All Die In scarezone, it would be cool to go back to Elm Street one more time but hopefully with a best of from all the films.

Honestly I would love to see that happen, its one of my favorite Creeypastas, I remembered learning about it from my friends in school and to see now that there is a movie happening for it, I think it would be interesting to see happen at HHN, but honestly I'd like to see their own original take on it rather do a movie adaption of it, I mean what happen with Slenderman still makes me ehhh but I would love to see it happen as a maze, same goes for the La Llorana movie even though Universal had done their own take on the urban legend and hit the nail on the head, one of my favorite mazes from HHN 23 :)

Those run on sentences would make for a terrifying house :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Those run on sentences would make for a terrifying house :)

Oh no I'm sorry about that, it tethered two of my stuff, I didn't mean for it to look like that, yikes lol

7 hours ago, zombieman said:

I love to see Hollywood go all in with an icon.  They have been so half-hearted in the past with Jack and the Director.  But Murdy seems to like clowns.  Two original characters were clown based (Sweet Licks and Hollywood Harry).  He has really fleshed out the Hollywood Harry character, who is essentially a clown version of HR BloodNGutz.  In fact, I think a great way of making a Hollywood Harry house would be a concept of Harry and his cohorts taking over an HHN house.  So imagine that HHN was going to present, say, a generic vampire house, but Harry and his cohorts have broken in and are torturing the staff (a'la Larry Kurtzberg).  So you have a vampire themed house overrun by clowns, torturing the vampire actors.  Whatever theme the house would have been.  A reality meets fantasy concept.  

I would love to see that, that would be really cool to experience, they have a lot to work with Hollywood Harry and do hope they bring back Sweet Licks, I'm glad that Murdy and Slash released the music from that house, it looked so freaking cool and colorful, I wish we had him come over to Florida and invade our event from time to time lmao