Halloween Horror Nights 29 Speculation

Mark M.

22 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Yep. My point about IPs still stands. The well has really dried up.

Whatever will Hollywood do without IP?  Based on Universal Monsters at HHN Hollywood being a big hit, maybe we will see the coasts doing individual Universal classic monsters houses.  Orlando's original takes on Frankenstein and Dracula were both well received.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zombieman said:

Whatever will Hollywood do without IP?  Based on Universal Monsters at HHN Hollywood being a big hit, maybe we will see the coasts doing individual Universal classic monsters houses.  Orlando's original takes on Frankenstein and Dracula were both well received.

They looked awesome from the walkthroughs JMR did through them. Can’t believe that sliding body scare from Frankenstein hasn’t been reused.

On 12/6/2018 at 3:32 PM, HHN Pro said:

IP's:

Stranger Things 3

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers

Candyman (2020 Reboot)

Alfred Hitchcock's House of Horrors

Originals:

Terra Queen: Rise from the Ashes

Nightingales: Night Stalkers

RUN IV

Psychoscareapy: Origins

All Nite Die-In: Director's Cut

Scream House: Revived

Jack's Funhouse of Terror (3D House)

Dungeon of Terror: 30 Years Later

All good except for Stranger Things. That’s meh, and Halloween ugh. No more Halloween please. Unless it’s based on the Rob Zombie remake

back to 29 spec: last years Originals were fantastic. I always love the original houses but this past year they were so great. And the Facebook “omg lol” crowd actually seemed to like the originals which is very good for the event. Hopefully we will get some bangers next year 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2018 at 9:33 AM, Ueeediot said:

Critical analysis?  (the title of this thread is speculation, head over to the review thread for analysis) that being said, here is my reason why to not do KK in HHN29.   

The scare zone was nothing more than a Selfie/Instagram  zone.  I am not exaggerating about seeing a family bring their 1 year old to the event to get pictures with clowns.

There is absolutely nothing scary about it.  The movie was never intended to be scary and there would be no scares at all in a tent.   Just put a tent around the scarezone and that's your tent maze.  Woo.

There is nothing horror, at all, around it.  At least Carnival Graveyard had enough OC to keep your eyes moving around.  There's just no real further content to expand into a tent.    The point of HHN is to immerse you into the IP, not just to show you the IP as you walk through.  Poltergeist, Halloween....the mazes take you through the movie.  In a KK tent, You'll just be watching the movie in the maze.  And that music....at the volume a house runs....oh my no, please no.

Stranger Things 2
Killer Klowns house.

That's two wasted lines.  It is not what I go to HHN for and it does nothing to earn the amount of money I spend on tickets. This is how you transform HHN into NSSHHN

Yes, we know.. there was a one year old who loved the clowns.  So what?  I happen to be very good friends with those people, and they are Halloween people 24/7/365.  It's not shocking their little one is immersed in it very young.  However, KK was never really "HORROR" to begin with.  I align it more with things like HR Bloodngutz.  It's comedy horror.  I, personally, love that kind of thing to be part of HHN.  I think a KK house would be a BLAST.  Sorry you're so cynical and bitchy about it, but ease off the toddler complaint already.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Let me go on record now stating that I will be happy NOT to see Chucky again.  I thought that huge space for a scare zone last year was wasted on that stupid crap.  KK would've been much better there - they really could've gone balls to the wall with it, and it would've been really, really fun.  Sick to death of Chucky.  It's not scary, and it's not funny.  It's just overdone and stupid.  <side note:  These opinions are solely mine, and I am not saying any of it to offend or piss off anyone.  The existence of Chucky at HHN brings out my inner rant>

I have said this before, but I will say it again since we are in a new spec thread for a new year:  Please, powers that be, give me a Phantasm house.  Please.  Pretty please.  FYI - there is plenty of 70's carpet and wallpaper to go around in that property.  I think Phantasm would make an EXCELLENT scary house.. with half of it taking place in a mortuary / funeral home.. oh god yes.  

One more comment:  Blumhouse sucked last year.  We endured it twice - once near the beginning of the event and once in the middle.. because that's what we do.  And then we skipped it every night after.  HDD was inane - it doesn't translate to a house.  I realize the point of the movie is horror Ground Hog day, but that kind of repetition in a house doesn't work.   I hated it.  HATED it.  Blumhouse has, unfortunately, been the turd in the punch bowl the last two years running.  If they are going to use Blumhouse properties, at least use something good... like Get Out or Split or a combo thereof.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

Let me go on record now stating that I will be happy NOT to see Chucky again.  I thought that huge space for a scare zone last year was wasted on that stupid crap.  KK would've been much better there - they really could've gone balls to the wall with it, and it would've been really, really fun.  Sick to death of Chucky.  It's not scary, and it's not funny.  It's just overdone and stupid.  <side note:  These opinions are solely mine, and I am not saying any of it to offend or piss off anyone.  The existence of Chucky at HHN brings out my inner rant>

I have said this before, but I will say it again since we are in a new spec thread for a new year:  Please, powers that be, give me a Phantasm house.  Please.  Pretty please.  FYI - there is plenty of 70's carpet and wallpaper to go around in that property.  I think Phantasm would make an EXCELLENT scary house.. with half of it taking place in a mortuary / funeral home.. oh god yes.  

One more comment:  Blumhouse sucked last year.  We endured it twice - once near the beginning of the event and once in the middle.. because that's what we do.  And then we skipped it every night after.  HDD was inane - it doesn't translate to a house.  I realize the point of the movie is horror Ground Hog day, but that kind of repetition in a house doesn't work.   I hated it.  HATED it.  Blumhouse has, unfortunately, been the turd in the punch bowl the last two years running.  If they are going to use Blumhouse properties, at least use something good... like Get Out or Split or a combo thereof.

I’d be interested to hear your full review of last year, as always. :)

I don't like the character of Chucky either, but I thought they did a fantastic job with that zone--perfectly designed for parade space. Very inventive costumes and floats.

I would have put Killer Klowns all the way down Fifth Avenue and scrapped Vamp '85 altogether.

I, too, would've loved to drop HDD from the event entirely.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

7 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

Yes, we know.. there was a one year old who loved the clowns.  So what?  I happen to be very good friends with those people, and they are Halloween people 24/7/365.  It's not shocking their little one is immersed in it very young.  However, KK was never really "HORROR" to begin with.  I align it more with things like HR Bloodngutz.  It's comedy horror.  I, personally, love that kind of thing to be part of HHN.  I think a KK house would be a BLAST.  Sorry you're so cynical and bitchy about it, but ease off the toddler complaint already.  

I thought it was pretty cute and funny about the child.   But, the main point isn't the child, its the direction of the event more and more towards the under 18 crowd.    I love comedy horror.  KK and things like Drag Me To Hell are awesome.  But, houses?  No, thank you.  I'd prefer the adult oriented HHN.

10 minutes ago, Ueeediot said:

I thought it was pretty cute and funny about the child.   But, the main point isn't the child, its the direction of the event more and more towards the under 18 crowd.    I love comedy horror.  KK and things like Drag Me To Hell are awesome.  But, houses?  No, thank you.  I'd prefer the adult oriented HHN.

It's always been an "PG-13" event; or - accessible to the "under 18 crowd."

They did Fear Factor in 2002. That's less horror than Stranger Things.

• Like 3

I think drag me to hell, if done right, would make an awesome house. Great mix of scares, comedy, gore and gross scenes. 

Or, even better, how about an original take on the film where you the guest are cursed by the gypsy woman at the beginning? Then the maze would be you being attacked by the Lamia, and everything that comes with it. And at the end you get “dragged to hell”. I think that actually may work better as there’s a lot more freedom over what you can do and the story you want to tell. 

Listen, I agree with the adult horror.  Yet it has been proof that  Rated R horror don't make as much as pg 13 horrors. 
 why would you want to limit the money to only the smallest %?

*  I haven't looked it up but I believe it to be true. 
 we won't get any STRONG HORROR  house since there might be stranger things crowd in the mix. 
  According to the creative team they aren't changing their event because of stranger things. I would like to see the next years event plans before I buy my ticket especially Hollywood.   I want to see some real horror ip or original stories. 

4 hours ago, littlegreenghouls said:

Listen, I agree with the adult horror.  Yet it has been proof that  Rated R horror don't make as much as pg 13 horrors. 
 why would you want to limit the money to only the smallest %?

*  I haven't looked it up but I believe it to be true. 
 we won't get any STRONG HORROR  house since there might be stranger things crowd in the mix. 
  According to the creative team they aren't changing their event because of stranger things. I would like to see the next years event plans before I buy my ticket especially Hollywood.   I want to see some real horror ip or original stories. 

So, was Halloween not real horror? Slaughter Sinema? Carnival Graveyard? The Blumhouse movies? Poltergeist is rated PG, but is considered a horror classic. But obviously, because Stranger Things showed up, Universal isn't doing real horror anymore.

One house shows up that's not "horror" in the traditional sense (even though it's a PG-13 equivalent series), and people are acting like Scooby Doo and Gravity Falls are the feature IPs. There were 9 other houses. 

Child's Play - R

Halloween 4 - R

Happy Death Day - PG-13

First Purge - R

Trick R Treat - R

Poltergeist - PG

Killer Klowns - PG-13

Stranger Things - TV-14

HHN has always been PG-13. We can poke around history and find PG-13 rated stuff scattered throughout its history. But for fans to continuously complain that Stranger Things (specifically) is making the event "family friendly" or "not horror" ignores every other aspect of the event - especially the highly requested horror classic that has a lower classification rating than Stranger Things itself.

Horror, as a genre is more popular and varied than ever. Universal isn’t interested in making the “scariest” event they can. That’s never been their focus. They want to make money. They want it accessible. Fans either need to recognize that and deal, or find something that is actually scary.

• Like 3

I guess I am a little confused on this whole "adult horror" debate. While some properties may not be as horror driven such as Stranger Things but basing it off of ratings and gore I don't think garner what is a good....or "adult"....I mean yea going with pure R rated horror then we wouldn't have gotten Poltergeist which is rated PG and I see no one using that in their arguments especially since that was almost everyone's number one this year. However on the flip side pure gore hound houses haven't always been well received...I know it is an original but Roanoke: Cannibal Colony is one that sticks out in my mind. Tons of carnage everywhere yet it didn't hit right with a majority of people. So basing it off blood amount I feel doesn't make sense. SAW too from 27, also didn't hit right with most people on this forum. Killer Klowns just falls under the comedy horror which I absolutely adore and I think is needed at the event, no it shouldn't be majority but I think is totally needed. So does "adult horror" just mean takes itself serious ly....? I mean I am not disagreeing, when the full line up was announced for 28 I kinda felt like nothing striked totally terror or fear in the line up...I just think it is worth diving into and isn't as black and white as R vs PG-13 or blood vs no blood. 

1 minute ago, Legacy said:

So, was Halloween not real horror? Slaughter Sinema? Carnival Graveyard? The Blumhouse movies? Poltergeist is rated PG, but is considered a horror classic. But obviously, because Stranger Things showed up, Universal isn't doing real horror anymore.

One house shows up that's not "horror" in the traditional sense (even though it's a PG-13 equivalent series), and people are acting like Scooby Doo and Gravity Falls are the feature IPs. There were 9 other houses. 

Child's Play - R

Halloween 4 - R

Happy Death Day - PG-13

First Purge - R

Trick R Treat - R

Poltergeist - PG

Killer Klowns - PG-13

Stranger Things - TV-14

HHN has always been PG-13. We can poke around history and find PG-13 rated stuff scattered throughout its history. But for fans to continuously complain that Stranger Things (specifically) is making the event "family friendly" or "not horror" ignores every other aspect of the event - especially the highly requested horror classic that has a lower classification rating than Stranger Things itself.

Horror, as a genre is more popular and varied than ever. Universal isn’t interested in making the “scariest” event they can. That’s never been their focus. They want to make money. They want it accessible. Fans either need to recognize that and deal, or find something that is actually scary.

Hahaha posted at the same time but yes this is a good discussion topic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legacy said:

One house shows up that's not "horror" in the traditional sense (even though it's a PG-13 equivalent series), and people are acting like Scooby Doo and Gravity Falls are the feature IPs

I just do not understand people that don't consider Stranger Things to be a horror series. Everyone seems to want Stephen King properties come to HHN, while Stranger Things is extremely influenced by, and very similar to King and his works. 

Is it just because it doesn't have a slasher running around and cutting people up? 

...Also...now I really want to see Disney do a Gravity Falls house at MNSSHP next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StupidStupidDan said:

...Also...now I really want to see Disney do a Gravity Falls house at MNSSHP next year.

That might actually get me to go to MNSSHP lol.

This is a really, REALLY entertaining discussion to get us through the dead period (which generally ends in April).

• Like 1

Speaking of Disney and horror, I really wish they or someone else would bring back alien encounter (or something similar). One of my all time fave attractions, and so many great memories of my cousins and Auntie screaming to “turn the bloody lights on!”. It was a dark dark day when stitch was put in, and quickly removed. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

Speaking of Disney and horror, I really wish they or someone else would bring back alien encounter (or something similar). One of my all time fave attractions, and so many great memories of my cousins and Auntie screaming to “turn the bloody lights on!”. It was a dark dark day when stitch was put in, and quickly removed. 

I never got to experience AE (I was eight when it closed, so it would've traumatized me for life if I had), but I've become absolutely enthralled by it ever since I found a POV of it a few months ago. What a wonderful attraction that clearly was.

I would love for EITHER:

Since it was originally going to be an Alien attraction, for Disney to make just that happen at DHS now that they own the rights to it. Unfortunately, I just see them sitting on the rights to it.

OR:

For Universal to do a Jurassic Park AE-style show, with a raptor playing the role of the creature.

I maintain that Dinosaur still provides a horror influence at Disney (though it would admittedly be better if they changed the name back--does anybody actually remember that damn movie?--and put in the meteor at the end).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Since it was originally going to be an Alien attraction, for Disney to make just that happen at DHS now that they own the rights to it. Unfortunately, I just see them sitting on the rights to it.

That was the original plan yes, but they quickly realised that little Timmy might be too traumatised by Alien and the complaints would pour in very quickly.  Plus Alien in the same park as fantasy land was too much for management. 

They then then went down the more comedic/original route which worked wonderfully. But even with all the warnings outside and constant reminders to parents that maybe little Timmy should sit this one out, they still took kids in and still complained about it. That’s one of the main reasons it was replaced by Stitch, and the less said about that garbage the better. 

Oh and think I did Alien Encounter when I was 7, and loved it. It was scary and creepy, but quite funny too. My cousins on the other hand (both slightly older) did not love it as much, but look back now and laugh about it. I’d love to do it again one more time. I miss Skippy!