Halloween Horror Nights 28 Discussion

Mark M.

Woo! I'm back y'all.

I've gone 1 and 1/3 nights so far, and I'd say 8/10 houses are great to fantastic.

I haven't been feeling the zones this year that much, I feel like the crowds we have don't lend well to actual scary zones. I do enjoy Vamp, but it's more for the atmosphere than the atmosFEAR. No? Anyone?

@sadbunny and I managed to hit every house on 9/15 without express (and a Carnival repeat!), so it's not that it's impossibly crowded, but it was pretty damn crowded opening weekend.

I'll be posting my house and zone thoughts in their respective threads, and might do an opening weekend review or just hold off until I've done my other 6 nights.

Good to be back!

• Like 3

I don't know if it's been summarized, but my experience with the HHN Frequent Fear cup was outstanding.

I have the Rush of Fear pass, and not a single place checked my pass or asked for a receipt.  They simply gave me the refill no questions asked.

You can get sodas, ice water, or Icees.  YUP, Icees are included.  I assume the candied frozen drinks are allowed as well, as they are the same price as an Icee.  I did not ask.

The cup also was usable at the Coke Freestyle (I used the one at Mel's).  I only filled it once, so I can't speak to time limits between refills.

I was also able to get refills during the daytime at the park.  They did not check for the FFP pass, so I imagine this will be good all season long, regardless of the pass you purchased.

I wonder if people will be selling these on Ebay.

It was nice to be able to get an ice water refill and not feel like I'm wasting money.  On those incredibly hot nights, ice water hits the spot.  

It looks like there are two designs for the cup, BTW.

I cannot recommend this cup strongly enough.  My ONLY complaint is that it is marked Orlando, so I can't use this in Hollywood.  That would have been too perfect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zombieman said:

Hey, about today - the 27th - I know USO is having some private event.  Are they running HHN for that group, or just the rides.  Reason I ask is that the app is showing wait times on the rides, but the houses are shown as closed.  Just curious.

Yeah, they're closed. I hope that gives them a little time to potentially fix a few of the broken effects.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

16 hours ago, dragonsfire311 said:

Made it another year, I’d have to say of all years we have attended last night (9/28) was the most crowded I’ve ever seen it.

Its definitely the most disorganized I've seen Universal in quite some time. Parking and front gate were a mess. Security did great and the house lines flowed very well still.

Edited by killswitch22
  • Like 1

Guys, Microsoft holds their annual Ignite event in Orlando around this time at the convention center.  For the past couple of years they have bought out USF on the last night of their conference and conference attendees are afforded an opportunity to purchase tickets to this event through the Ignite conference.  This year it was Thursday the 27th for their night in USF

On 9/30/2018 at 3:45 AM, killswitch22 said:

Its definitely the most disorganized I've seen Universal in quite some time. Parking and front gate were a mess. Security did great and the house lines flowed very well still.

While it's not the first time I've stayed on property, it's the first time I used the hotel guest access gate.  Did it on a mobbed Saturday night and walked right in with zero wait, and no throng of people to deal with inside the gate.  Such pampering.  How have I ever lived without this?

Just reserved a return trip from California for Nov 1, 2, 3.  I also booked Nov 4 as an add on just in case they extend the event through the 4th.  They've done it before - who knows...   I can choose to cancel last minute, but for now, it's on.  First time I've ever done a Part II for Orlando, but it was so damned good this year....

On 9/30/2018 at 8:45 AM, HHN Pro said:

This year is pretty much perfect. (Except no B&T)

I have a solution for this!  I have audio recordings of B&T from the past few years.  I listen to them in the queues (and flip the bird at the Fear Factor building every time I walk past it).  It helps... 

(Apologies to the team members who think I'm giving the finger to them.)

11 hours ago, sadbunny said:

People are probably avoiding spoilers I know @happy bunny rabbit didn't come on here for a few months before we went.

Definition of tragic: You avoid HNN site because you don't want spoilers and you accidentally forget about HHN until Nov 4.

• Haha 3

Just got back from my trip yesterday. Went on the 28th (So hot and crowded, but still got all houses done and most rides) and went again on the 30th (much less crowded and cooler, but still warmer than we are used to as we usually go later in the year). Overall, loved all of the houses, even the ones I had low expectations for. Scarezones were great to look at it and take photos of, but hard to get through with everyone stopping to take multiple pictures of the characters. I felt very rushed during the Halloween house as the people in front of me were practically running and I couldn't keep up with them, but the workers in the house kept motioning me to keep moving. It got annoying, but it was the only house I felt like I missed a lost because of the pace. We did have an awful worker at the food stand next to Stranger Things. All we wanted was a Powerade and it was like watching a turtle stuck on a glue trap watching her move. She was not happy to be there and was making sure everyone in the very long line knew it. Oh, well, it didn't ruin my night. One thing I wasn't happy with was the exit lines outside of I believe it was Seeds of Extinction and Trick R Treat that merged together. The ground was really uneven and we saw multiple people trip. One woman had to grab my husband to keep from falling. The next night we saw an ambulance loading a gentleman who had fallen on the walkway. That would not be a fun way to spend your evening. I did notice between Friday and Sunday, they added extra lighting, but, still, if you weren't prepared for the dips in the pavement, it still was treacherous. 

41 minutes ago, INSERTCREEPYNAMEHERE said:

but, still, if you weren't prepared for the dips in the pavement, it still was treacherous. 

There is a spot in Hollywood where it meets Hello Kitty where the house entrance for whatever is in Shrek is located where the curb does a little S and moves.  Almost killed my GF a couple years ago. 

Last year, I came out of the bathrooms by FFL and in the darkness missed the curb and landed on both knees.   Was really, really, nice.

Be careful out there!

Agreed!  The pavement shouldn't be the scariest part of this event.  For me, it's those stupid metal barricades they set up in the makeshift queues.  Because they aren't poles that go into the ground, I constantly trip over the balancing feet that stick out.    As bad as those are in Orlando, they are more plentiful at Hollywood HHN, and the queues are one person wide in spots, so tripping is a given.  Usually it's people staring at their phones, so they kind of have it coming.  But still...

• Like 1

September 30th review: 

Went on Sunday and had a great time as always. Enjoyed all of the houses and most of the scare zones. Had the express pass and got to take our time going to each maze and most of the regular rides. Definitely have Stranger Things, Poltergeist and SOE at the top in terms of my favorite mazes. The others were all pretty good as well with the exception of Blumhouse. I thought the Happy Death Day portion was okay, but the Purge was just dumb. I didn't get scared once and most of the actors were in plain sight. 

I was a little disappointed in the zones, especially Chucky since he wasn't on stage when went by. I wish we could have stayed an waited for him, but it was getting pretty late. Also, LOTS of walking this year. The walk to SOE and then to Trick or Treat and back was exhausting. By the end we were all pretty wiped out. Also took a little while to get in this time around. Seemed like we were cattle being ushered in. 

I am biased when it comes to Halloween obviously, but maybe I got a bad run through because I wasn't overly impressed. I thought they missed the mark on a couple good scenes and there were a few times when I didn't see a Michael for 30 seconds or so. Overall it was okay, but I definitely enjoyed H2 better. 

Overall it was a great year again. Stranger Things was done fantastically and Poltergeist was very good. Hope you all enjoy it as well! 

• Like 1

Sounds like they were doing a cast change in H4, because Michael is everywhere.  Chucky does a LOT of shows, so had you waited a few more minutes...  

I perpetually complain about the long walks, but it didn't seem that bad this year.  Especially the tents.  I mean, it seemed like it was the same routes as before; just didn't seem as bad.

According to my pedometer, each night averaged 7 miles, and I recall it used to average 9.

Would love to see a formal review from you in the review section.

2 hours ago, TheShape1031 said:

Also, LOTS of walking this year. The walk to SOE and then to Trick or Treat and back was exhausting. By the end we were all pretty wiped out. Also took a little while to get in this time around.

You should try this walk at the end of the night...it is extra long when you are tired and just want to go home! ;)

2 hours ago, Tman875 said:

You should try this walk at the end of the night...it is extra long when you are tired and just want to go home! ;)

Hahaha I can only imagine.. we were all wiped out. Probably didn't help we did a Disney park the day before as well. 

3 hours ago, zombieman said:

Sounds like they were doing a cast change in H4, because Michael is everywhere.  Chucky does a LOT of shows, so had you waited a few more minutes...  

I perpetually complain about the long walks, but it didn't seem that bad this year.  Especially the tents.  I mean, it seemed like it was the same routes as before; just didn't seem as bad.

According to my pedometer, each night averaged 7 miles, and I recall it used to average 9.

Would love to see a formal review from you in the review section.

Definitely will put together a formal review when I get a chance.... Kind of upset I missed Chucky, but I was kind of being dragged a long by the wifey to get moving as she was getting pretty tired. Yeah I guess the walking was about the same, just felt like it was a lot more this year. I thought the exit walk from SOE and Trick or Treat was the worst. 

1 hour ago, TheShape1031 said:

Hahaha I can only imagine.. we were all wiped out. Probably didn't help we did a Disney park the day before as well. 

Definitely will put together a formal review when I get a chance.... Kind of upset I missed Chucky, but I was kind of being dragged a long by the wifey to get moving as she was getting pretty tired. Yeah I guess the walking was about the same, just felt like it was a lot more this year. I thought the exit walk from SOE and Trick or Treat was the worst. 

There will be a ton of Chucky videos.  I passed by several times and it was always the same lines over and over.  I don't think you missed much.  SOE was a grueling walk.  I wish they would have the entrances and exits both backstage.  Same for the tents.   I've never seen the line backup to the queue entrance.  Heck, even having both entrances be at Barney would help a ton.  

18 hours ago, zombieman said:

Speak for yourself the walks were still killer but I think the quality of the houses made it just a little less bad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zombieman said:

Heck, even having both entrances be at Barney would help a ton.  

SOE is an added house and I am not sure they could make the queues work to have everyone utilize Barney area. You would have 2 normal lines + 2 Express lines all utilizing that one area.

I wish they could work all of that out.....but I am not sure it would happen easily.

• Mark M. featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Mark M. unpinned this topic