Halloween Horror Nights 28 Discussion

Mark M.

On 9/13/2018 at 6:04 PM, Brandon said:

This is the first year since 2011 that I couldn’t attend EP. lots of emotions seeing all my friends posting about it on all social media. Normally I hate any type of spoilers but I read a few reviews already. Saw 1 house list. I’ve heard good and bad things. But honestly I’m not making any assumptions until Friday night. On paper, the event looks amazing. But I guess we will all find out soon enough! 

nice sharing!!

just 4 days left i bought my costume i am excited i bought it from halloween costumes

I threatened to do it, and now I have. Decided Fri night to take a red eye back to Orlando. Went Thu   10/27 and will go again in a few hours. Sitting in the the theater now waiting for Halloween to start. Will go one last time on 10/30 then back home. I’ve seen some changes from when the event began till now. Some good. Some not. But it’s all fun. The crowds are huge though. That’s not fun. 

• Like 1

Definitely packed at the gates so far. Thursday and Friday were perfect, got everything done, repeats & started on 3rd walkthroughs last night with Express and S&S. Today...we'll see. 

2nd time in Stranger Things & Dead Exposure and 3rd in Scary Tales yesterday evening were all far superior to the previous walks in each. 

Anyone looking to find me, I'll be the one heading to Slaughter (my favorite) first with a Midnight Snack 2 shirt proudly on display! :p

Edited by FaceBagman

10 hours ago, zombieman said:

I threatened to do it, and now I have. Decided Fri night to take a red eye back to Orlando. Went Thu   10/27 and will go again in a few hours. Sitting in the the theater now waiting for Halloween to start. Will go one last time on 10/30 then back home. I’ve seen some changes from when the event began till now. Some good. Some not. But it’s all fun. The crowds are huge though. That’s not fun. 

Did you catch the (fake) mirror scare in Graveyard?

Glad you came back. 

Edited by OhHaiInternet95

1 hour ago, TheShape1031 said:

Just saw the new Halloween movie on Friday. I know most of you cannot get enough Michael Myers, but I would be extremely surprised if there isn't a Blumhouse Halloween Maze next year. Thoughts?....

Great flick, but there may be some difficulty with one of the rights holders. It really depends on how much sway they have over the final sign-off.

Is my Horror Nights Freestyle cup hiding a secret?

When I fill this cup, the Freestyle machine says it can be used until 2AM on November 5th.   

Things that make you go Hmmmmm....

And by the way, it is indeed usable at either park even on non-HHN days.  I love this cup.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StupidStupidDan said:

Great flick, but there may be some difficulty with one of the rights holders. It really depends on how much sway they have over the final sign-off.

Ah okay. I was unaware of any issues with rights holders. I had just assumed since it was Blumhouse and Universal that there wouldn't be any problem. 

I’ve been 10/25, 10/26 and 10/28. 10/28 was easily my best night in terms of staffing in houses. The other two nights a lot of the houses felt empty. I hope my last three nights the staffing is better. Any reason for empty houses? Just staff calling out? Quiting?

16 hours ago, zombieman said:

30th is pretty dead so far. It’s bring a friend free day for employees. Way too early to say more yet but Sinema and Blumhouse were about 1/3 staffed.   Everywhere there were normally three actors I saw one

entering Poltergeist now

Huh. I had heard last night was well staffed. Your report is about what I thought it would be.

4 hours ago, TheShape1031 said:

Ah okay. I was unaware of any issues with rights holders. I had just assumed since it was Blumhouse and Universal that there wouldn't be any problem. 

Those are two of the four production companies credited. Like I said, I'm not sure how much sway each one has, but there is one that may be a bit of a monkey-wrench.

1 hour ago, StupidStupidDan said:

Those are two of the four production companies credited. Like I said, I'm not sure how much sway each one has, but there is one that may be a bit of a monkey-wrench.

Gotchya. Well more than likely I won't be able to make it next year anyway since I'm getting married in October, so whatever happens is moot for me at this point lol

On 10/31/2018 at 10:47 AM, Rikku said:

I’ve been 10/25, 10/26 and 10/28. 10/28 was easily my best night in terms of staffing in houses. The other two nights a lot of the houses felt empty. I hope my last three nights the staffing is better. Any reason for empty houses? Just staff calling out? Quiting?

LOTS of just straight up leaving. In fact, the show directors stopped casting reserves on streets entirely just because there are so many key roles in houses that are missing actors now. Even someone who had been hard cast in The Harvest was permanently moved to the Sorority Sacrifice section of Slaughter Sinema as of October 21st because the actress left.

15 minutes ago, itsabee said:

LOTS of just straight up leaving. In fact, the show directors stopped casting reserves on streets entirely just because there are so many key roles in houses that are missing actors now. Even someone who had been hard cast in The Harvest was permanently moved to the Sorority Sacrifice section of Slaughter Sinema as of October 21st because the actress left.

Can they take any steps to prevent this next year? This was a pretty good event IMO, but I can only imagine how awesome it would've been if so many actors hadn't quit.

1 hour ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

Can they take any steps to prevent this next year? This was a pretty good event IMO, but I can only imagine how awesome it would've been if so many actors hadn't quit.

Not sure how they can prevent it, aside from just offering more money on such nights.  Of course, that kind of defeats the purpose of putting on an event to make money.  

If people quit toward the end, I'm sure it will affect their chances of getting rehired.  

10/30 turned out to have decent staffing (I estimate 70%).  That estimate is based solely on what I did NOT see during my walkthrus.  It looked obvious to me that Cast A and Cast B were missing key performers, but between them they had all bases covered.  One cast seemed to be missing the flying witch and a Tangina.  I never once saw either of the stilt monsters in Poltergeist.   Lots of Michaels missing in either cast.  

I did not see the bungee witch at the end of ST on any of 10/27, 10/28, 10/30. 

Although 10/27 and 10/28 was packed to the gills, they were the best runs of any of my nights.  

10/30 was fun because the crowds were so light.  I took some pictures at 7:30 of empty streets.  More Klowns than customers in the scarezone.  DJ in Vamp talking to nonexistent people.  I wouldn't recommend 10/30 to anyone if it was their one and only visit, but it was an excellent opportunity to take in the detail of everything.  They pulsed the lines in the houses creating artificial wait times, and they were NOT forcing people to move through.  You could take your time.  In Patient Zero, they were pulsing in one minute intervals.  It's a shame that so many of the actors and their friends would see the houses so understaffed, though.  

10/30 gave me new appreciation for the actors that were not there.  They had their timing down cold.  It was so apparent when you saw how the fill in's performed.  And that's not a knock on the fill ins.  They did a great job for having so little time to prepare.  There was a lot of inadvertent touching by the fill ins due to mistiming and jumping out too far.

I was very happy to see that aside from the witch bungee, EVERY scare from early September was there last weekend.  There were no new scares or any changed scenes that I saw.  Queues were wildly different, mainly for the worse.  Merge points between standby and Express for many houses moved so the merge happened far sooner.   Worst line by far was Seeds of Extinction, where there is a built in 20 min wait no matter what.  It was not that way in Sep.  Oddly, Stranger Things had an improved merge point, as the post-merge queue got SMALLER.  For a house that had 2 hour waits most nights, I never experienced any Express line no matter the standby time.  Even when it was a 185 min wait on packed nights, I walked straight to the express merge.  That was truly the strangest thing I consistently experienced this year.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2018 at 11:37 AM, TheShape1031 said:

Gotchya. Well more than likely I won't be able to make it next year anyway since I'm getting married in October, so whatever happens is moot for me at this point lol

Ah yes, marriage: for some, Horror Nights all year round. 

I've been married since Eddie, and the kids were born in the year of The Director.  Says a lot about a person when they speak of events in their life in terms of HHN, amiright?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, zombieman said:

Ah yes, marriage: for some, Horror Nights all year round. 

I've been married since Eddie, and the kids were born in the year of The Director.  Says a lot about a person when they speak of events in their life in terms of HHN, amiright?

I was born the year of the Crypt Keeper. My closest cousin was born in October 1990. You can guess how I keep track of his age. ;)

Glad this was such a great year for you. Seemed like a very divisive year overall.

• Like 1

I don't know if it is know by many yet, but they are adding a 7 AM - 7 PM (I think) Stranger Things house for this coming Tuesday. I don't know if it is just for UO Pass Holders or open to the public, but I know it is going to be a thing. I am assuming it is a test to see if UO Orlando could/would want to support a year round haunted house/area/experience.

23 minutes ago, Tman875 said:

I don't know if it is know by many yet, but they are adding a 7 AM - 7 PM (I think) Stranger Things house for this coming Tuesday. I don't know if it is just for UO Pass Holders or open to the public, but I know it is going to be a thing. I am assuming it is a test to see if UO Orlando could/would want to support a year round haunted house/area/experience.

It's from 11am-7pm. It's open to everyone, passholders get express access. :)

Interesting to see this happening in Orlando.  

Hollywood did the same thing with ST:  From 10/29-11/2, park guests will be able to take a DAYTIME self-guided lights-on walkthru of the Stranger Things house.  

They also tested a "Not So Scary" (my words) kid friendly Halloween for a few days.  The Orlando equivalent would have been if they had trick or treating in Hollywood blvd area, along with character meet and greets.