Halloween Horror Nights 28 Speculation

Mark M.

2 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

Everyone is speculating about potential houses/zones, and I'm over here having a mini panic attack from Murdy and Mike's tweets. 

The creative landscape may be changing. And Mike's recent tweets of the empty park feel too much like goodbye tweets for my taste. 

Wait, what?  No.  No. No. No.

No way Mystique.  He just bought a new house.  Aiello isn't going to Hollywood.  Plus, he'd hate it there.  Orlando gets to have more creativity with their originals.. I don't see Mike being an IP only guy.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

No way Mystique.  He just bought a new house.  Aiello isn't going to Hollywood.  Plus, he'd hate it there.  Orlando gets to have more creativity with their originals.. I don't see Mike being an IP only guy.

With no actual knowledge...I could see Mike overseeing both events. Taking more of a 30,000ft view of them and delegating a bit more than he has in the past. 

Here's a collection of my thoughts for 28: 

- I think we'll definitely get a maze based on a "classic" horror movie or another white whale. I remember hearing in a podcast this season that there was another white whale they're trying to catch. I can't think of any movies that could possibly fall under that though. 

- As much as I would LOVE to see an IT house, I don't think we're going to get that at least until 29. I think they're going to wait until both movies are out. OR (wishful thinking) they could do a part 1 house for 28 and then a part 2 house for 30. 

- I think Purge might be our new Walking Dead. There's supposed to be another one coming out next year so I think we'll probably get another zone. 

- I really hope they don't turn AHS Cult into a house. It's not strong enough to be it's own house and there isn't a whole lot of content in it that would translate well. It's just clowns and white people. No thanks. 

- AoV will be back and I don't know why, but I have this gut feeling they're going to replace Bill & Ted with Rocky Horror over at Animal Actors. I hope I'm wrong about that though. 

- I would love to see houses based off of Evil Roots and HR Bloodengutz.

- They need an icon again. This whole "the event itself is the icon" was lazy AF. Give Cindy her year! 

- Please no more pig masks. Retire them, burn them, whatever just please no more. 

- I really hope the success of all the original content this year will inspire them to keep the ratio at 4 originals and 5 IPs and really put their hearts into the original content.

Also, can anyone remind me what all we're losing within the next year as far as space? I know the parade building and Fear Factor but what else was there?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

- I think we'll definitely get a maze based on a "classic" horror movie or another white whale. I remember hearing in a podcast this season that there was another white whale they're trying to catch. I can't think of any movies that could possibly fall under that though. 

- As much as I would LOVE to see an IT house, I don't think we're going to get that at least until 29. I think they're going to wait until both movies are out. OR (wishful thinking) they could do a part 1 house for 28 and then a part 2 house for 30. 

- I think Purge might be our new Walking Dead. There's supposed to be another one coming out next year so I think we'll probably get another zone. 

- I really hope they don't turn AHS Cult into a house. It's not strong enough to be it's own house and there isn't a whole lot of content in it that would translate well. It's just clowns and white people. No thanks. 

- AoV will be back and I don't know why, but I have this gut feeling they're going to replace Bill & Ted with Rocky Horror over at Animal Actors. I hope I'm wrong about that though. 

- I would love to see houses based off of Evil Roots and HR Bloodengutz.

- They need an icon again. This whole "the event itself is the icon" was lazy AF. Give Cindy her year! 

- Please no more pig masks. Retire them, burn them, whatever just please no more. 

- I really hope the success of all the original content this year will inspire them to keep the ratio at 4 originals and 5 IPs and really put their hearts into the original content.

Also, can anyone remind me what all we're losing within the next year as far as space? I know the parade building and Fear Factor but what else was there?

Nothing's been confirmed on what we're losing, but I've heard both Fear Factor Live and Animal Actors may be on the chopping block, as well as chunks of the kids' area, and the Parade Building. But, I've also heard that they may be building a new Parade building to replace that.

Beyond that, construction also requires space for equipment. So, more of that backstage area could be hands-off for HHN next year.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the event leaks towards/into Islands next year. I know they try to avoid that at all costs, but it may be inevitable.

26 minutes ago, StupidStupidDan said:

Nothing's been confirmed on what we're losing, but I've heard both Fear Factor Live and Animal Actors may be on the chopping block, as well as chunks of the kids' area, and the Parade Building. But, I've also heard that they may be building a new Parade building to replace that.

Beyond that, construction also requires space for equipment. So, more of that backstage area could be hands-off for HHN next year.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the event leaks towards/into Islands next year. I know they try to avoid that at all costs, but it may be inevitable.

Bldg 79B (parade building 2.0) had construction start last year or the year before. To my knowledge, B79B is complete or should be.  

3 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

You have eased my mind. I could be misinterpreting the tweets. I don't do well with goodbyes and it may be my own paranoia. 

• Like 2

Purge I don't mind, especially if its as fun as election year. I just hope if they do keep bringing it back, that they switch the location just to keep it from being boring. some Central Park purgers or something chasing through the woods. Also completely agree on the pig masks, 1/3 of the houses having pigs was stupid. One of the few negatives I had with scarecrow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brandon_Voorhees said:

Seems like there's a huge buzz around wanting Stranger Things. I love the show as much as anyone else, but don't think the monsters are what make the show, it's obviously the kids and the nostalgia factor. I just don't see the appeal of ST as a maze. Just my opinion. 

I agree with this completely. The show is fantastic, but as a maze I don’t think it would work that well. Having said that, a scarezone of the upside down would be cool, if difficult to pull off. 

Other things I’d like to see include:

- Annabelle creation

- IT

- the conjuring 2/the nun 

- Blumhouse Halloween (assuming they do the original two films justice)

- drag me to hell or Chuckie or Sean of the dead (as the comic house)

- more originals than IPs! 

- bigger badder scarezones

- comedy show to replace bill and ted

• Like 1

My wish list for HHN 28 is pretty simple.

- All original houses

- Bill & Ted Reunion Tour

Or a time machine to take me back to 2010.  Either one would make me happy.

What do I think will actually happen?

Based on two of the originals being the highest rated by GP, we will again get 4 originals.

Our friend the Ifrit is clearly telling us that Stranger Things is planned.  Check out his/her tweets counting down to 11/11 11AM...

Based on Trick R Treat being so highly rated a scarezone, we will probably get the house.

Another volume of AHS, but I seriously don't see Cult being any good; this season is dreck.

Maybe Blumhouse Vol II.

I'm speculating that AOV replaces B&T, but as much as I liked AOV last year, I don't think they can fill those shoes...

I have no idea what else could possibly replace B&T.  And honestly, ending the show still makes no sense to me.  In 13 years, I've never seen a B&T that was not 100% full.

If it's working, why end it?  I can't stand the Jabbawockeez show in Hollywood, but they are always 100% full.  It's working so I don't expect them to end it anytime soon.  Who cares who a show appeals to as long as every seat has a butt in it?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

^What was the other original being highly rated by the GP? And given that there were only four originals because Conjuring fell through, wouldn’t marketing want it back to three?

I think he's referring to Dead Waters. 

He does have a point with four originals though. Although I think they'll probably end up with the standard 6/3 split, creative does have a pretty strong leg to stand on with the high reviews (and wait times) for some of the originals this year.

• Like 1

Despite my debilitating clown fatigue, I'd like to see an IT house (especially a haunt interpretation of the painting woman), but I highly doubt it's going to happen in 28. Purge is probably coming back. Don't want it, don't need it, but we're probably going to get it. 

HHN best be giving my girl Cindy her year in the limelight, though. I miss having icons.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thecovetousghost said:

Despite my debilitating clown fatigue, I'd like to see an IT house (especially a haunt interpretation of the painting woman), but I highly doubt it's going to happen in 28. Purge is probably coming back. Don't want it, don't need it, but we're probably going to get it. 

HHN best be giving my girl Cindy her year in the limelight, though. I miss having icons.

duuuuude idk why people saying IT's not gonna be here next year, the movie has so many varied scares and a iconic monster so it's great for a house, theres a damn haunted house in the movie, also it kinda made 671.7 million at the box office and is hyped to shit so Universal better suck the shit out of this movies dick it will make them SOOOO much money

2 hours ago, fvcking cvnt said:

duuuuude idk why people saying IT's not gonna be here next year, the movie has so many varied scares and a iconic monster so it's great for a house, theres a damn haunted house in the movie, also it kinda made 671.7 million at the box office and is hyped to shit so Universal better suck the shit out of this movies dick it will make them SOOOO much money

I'm just skeptical because of how difficult it is to get properties from King into haunted attractions. Although, there was a small interactive experience held earlier when the movie was first released so it's possible. I'm just trying not to get my hopes up, haha.

But you're right. There are some GORGEOUS monster designs and sets in the movie. I think it would be a great house. 

2 hours ago, thecovetousghost said:

Amen. I think Orfanage deserves a second chance just because of how good the concept is; it’s just the execution seems to have fallen a little flat.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be hillarious if the harry potter ministry of magic announcement we’ve been waiting for as the replacement for the fear factor show turns out to be something to do with stranger things? That would be pretty cool and I guess work well with the MIB/aliens section next door? Maybe as a walk through attraction akin to walking dead in Hollywood?

I just think HHN28 announcements now is ridiculously early, and a little odd. Yes they have done it this early in the past but only to announce Jack was returning right? This would be the perfect announcement to prove the parks can stand on their two feet and don’t need the crutch of Harry Potter to do well.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2017 at 10:53 AM, mystiquephreeq said:

Everyone is speculating about potential houses/zones, and I'm over here having a mini panic attack from Murdy and Mike's tweets. 

The creative landscape may be changing. And Mike's recent tweets of the empty park feel too much like goodbye tweets for my taste. 

Wait, what tweets?

Also I agree with the comment about not wanting Stranger Things as a house. I don't see it translating well into a house. Especially after experiencing Ash vs Evil Dead from both coasts and neither I feel living up to the potential, it was easily my highest anticipated house by a mile and was sorely disappointed. Stranger Things which I feel has a lot less to work with house wise would probably be a huge mis-fire.

I agree also with the "Classic Horror" trend of the Exorcist and Shining, that we will have another next year. What? Idk. The Silence of the Lambs comment sounds fine and possible but we will def have one more classic.

Blumhouse Halloween if it is on schedule and comes out October next year then I can see it being next year especially after houses like Dracula Untold, because it is kinda a locked in money maker. Krampus was a surprise hit and post-October so thus the following year of it being at HHN. 

I've always been a huge horror video game promoter even after the lukewarm Silent Hill and Resident Evil at HHN. Particularly petitioning for The Evil Within, The Last of Us, and Bioshock to name a few. However! After HHN not being able to live up to AvED which I feel hits the same ball park of fantasy that the games go for I might be backing down on that demand a bit until I feel they can tackle the huge fantasy demands that video game horror gives. 

Also while I may not have ever been B&T's biggest supporter I do agree that unless they figure out an appropriate replacement it will be sorely missed and a huge gap missing in the event. Magic shows in the past like 50 penny (or whatever it was called) simply won't do and I have moved passed needing Rocky Horror at HHN. It will be really interesting how that hole is tackled and like I said never been B&T's biggest fan but truly understand its purpose in the event.

Edited by Rikku

14 hours ago, Rikku said:

Wait, what tweets?

Also I agree with the comment about not wanting Stranger Things as a house. I don't see it translating well into a house. Especially after experiencing Ash vs Evil Dead from both coasts and neither I feel living up to the potential, it was easily my highest anticipated house by a mile and was sorely disappointed. Stranger Things which I feel has a lot less to work with house wise would probably be a huge mis-fire.

I agree also with the "Classic Horror" trend of the Exorcist and Shining, that we will have another next year. What? Idk. The Silence of the Lambs comment sounds fine and possible but we will def have one more classic.

Blumhouse Halloween if it is on schedule and comes out October next year then I can see it being next year especially after houses like Dracula Untold, because it is kinda a locked in money maker. Krampus was a surprise hit and post-October so thus the following year of it being at HHN. 

I've always been a huge horror video game promoter even after the lukewarm Silent Hill and Resident Evil at HHN. Particularly petitioning for The Evil Within, The Last of Us, and Bioshock to name a few. However! After HHN not being able to live up to AvED which I feel hits the same ball park of fantasy that the games go for I might be backing down on that demand a bit until I feel they can tackle the huge fantasy demands that video game horror gives. 

Also while I may not have ever been B&T's biggest supporter I do agree that unless they figure out an appropriate replacement it will be sorely missed and a huge gap missing in the event. Magic shows in the past like 50 penny (or whatever it was called) simply won't do and I have moved passed needing Rocky Horror at HHN. It will be really interesting how that hole is tackled and like I said never been B&T's biggest fan but truly understand its purpose in the event.

When it comes to video games I'm super picky. Resident Evil was really weak when they did it a few years back and silent hill was average. I think if they just stuck to resident evil 7 it could work. 

I would love to see until dawn or the last of us. The last of us would just be a beautiful maze. The Evil Within however would be very difficult to recreate. I haven't played the second one yet. But the first jumps around to much and wouldn't  flow well.

Edited by killswitch22

I have said before, but I'll say again - a classic that needs to be done is Phantasm.   The fact that a lot of it takes place in a very creepy funeral home/mausoleum should be enough right there.  There is so much in that movie that would translate to an AWESOME house though - the funeral home basement, the cemetery, the coffin room, the mausoleum, the ice cream cart, the secret room with the sound humming LOUDLY, the hooded little men, the Tall Man., the seance with the black box. ("don't fear").. I mean, come ON!  

While I would LOVE to see IT (walking out of the movie, one of the first things I said was - that would be awesome at HHN), I just don't know if King will allow it.  Therein lies the rub.  You all know, I adore Stephen King, but on this point, I'd like to slap him.  Maybe he'll have a change of heart when he understands that allowing this would be just another huge boost to set up for "chapter 2".

I want the Purge to die already.  It's the new Walking Dead of HHN.  Ugh.  Also, I don't see them doing AHS again next year because only Cult is left, and I don't think that's a stand alone house.  

I would love a Trick r Treat house though.  The scarezone was my fave this year - couldn't get enough of it.

I have mixed feelings on Stranger Things - I do think some of it would be good in house (the Christmas lights from season 1 and the drawings of the vines all over the same house from season 2 would be cool, plus, the tunnels in the Upside Down would be great, various sections of the lab with the dogamon things, etc.. I just wouldn't want it to fizzle.  It would take a lot of work to make it the tribute it needs to be to honor such a terrific show.  Then again, if anyone could pull it off, A&D could.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

I have mixed feelings on Stranger Things - I do think some of it would be good in house (the Christmas lights from season 1 and the drawings of the vines all over the same house from season 2 would be cool, plus, the tunnels in the Upside Down would be great, various sections of the lab with the dogamon things, etc.. I just wouldn't want it to fizzle.  It would take a lot of work to make it the tribute it needs to be to honor such a terrific show.  Then again, if anyone could pull it off, A&D could.

After seeing this DIY demogorgon costume, I think A&D can pull off the demogorgon and the demodogs. The Upside Down and monsters from Stranger Things make for a great haunt atmosphere.

Only problem I can see for us, we'd have to figure out how to abbreviate it. We love our abbreviations, but ST is already taken.  

• Like 2

On 11/11/2017 at 1:54 PM, killswitch22 said:

When it comes to video games I'm super picky. Resident Evil was really weak when they did it a few years back and silent hill was average. I think if they just stuck to resident evil 7 it could work. 

I would love to see until dawn or the last of us. The last of us would just be a beautiful maze. The Evil Within however would be very difficult to recreate. I haven't played the second one yet. But the first jumps around to much and wouldn't  flow well.

I would love to see a second attempt at Resident Evil and even more so after the interview, which I am sorry don't remember where it is so I can't link it, where Mike Aiello said even he would like a second go at Resident Evil as he think the first incarnation didn't fully capture the magnitude/essence of RE. While I have seen others talk about a house based around RE7 and don't think that would be a bad idea at all, I would still like an attempt of "classic" RE with Lickers and the like...simultaneously experiencing the greatness that was the AWIL wolves puppets in the same year of the disappointing Licker puppets, I almost want a redo of the same house but better? Lol! When Until Dawn first came out I was clamoring for a HHN treatment but now I am not as sure if it would translate properly for HHN. The Last of Us was really popular and I see it being an actual possibility for HHN along with Bioshock, I feel in order for a video game to come to HHN it would have to be immensely popular since we are dealing with the GP and have to attract all sorts of people. Then with the two leads of horror in video games checked off, Silent Hill and Resident Evil, it is hard to say what the next step into video game horror will be but SH and RE had the help of being so popular they successfully crossed over, debate-ly,  into movie cannons. Then for The Evil Within if they cheated and just gave me a vortex tunnel and a bunch of cool scenes and monsters I could be happy and sold, I mean of course I would love more but feel that is all I could expect.

• Love 1

I'm the eternal "no more IP" guy, but I think a Stranger Things and "It" houses would both be very good.  "It" is a no brainer, and as I was watching Stranger Things I was envisioning flipping between here and the Upside Down being done with projection mapping of the vines on the walls, floors and ceilings.  That would be so cool to be walking down a hallway and getting a strobe flash and you are in the Upside Down.  With projection mapping, the timing could even be random.  

But I still don't see how Silence of the Lambs, Trick R Treat, or Phantasm would translate into a house.  Sorry Hunnylvr, but I forgot just about every scene from Phantasm you mentioned.

Who knows if "It" would be okayed.  Stephen King is such a pretentious, pompous ass....  The guy (used to) write great books, but every time he tried personally to make a good movie adaptation, he produced crap.  Trucks?  Seriously?  The only adaptations he liked were the ones that stuck to the letter of his story - Stand By Me, Shawshank, Green Mile, Misery.  And you know he's nuts when he says he loved Cujo...  What the heck is his fear with adapting his stories to a house?  If there's one place that would do his stuff justice, it's HHN.

• Like 1

• Mark M. featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Mark M. featured this topic
  • Mark M. locked and unpinned this topic
  • Mark M. unfeatured this topic