Halloween Horror Nights 26 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

On 2/21/2016 at 6:05 PM, Legacy said:

No "literal" repeats. That's too important to ignore, especially for them.

"Fear the Walking Dead," would be a new IP based on that criteria.

On 2/21/2016 at 6:39 PM, Dr. Jimmy said:

No literal direct repeats. TWD would never be a literal direct repeat as there is a different season every year. No two houses for TWD would ever be the same.

This at least, is probably what their thinking is, even if we do not necessarily agree.

That is a good point. Murdy would pull that kind of B.S.

• Like 1

What is a "literal direct repeat"?

Was AVP or La Llorona's last year a literal direct repeat when they made a change to the final room of each?

Unfortunately, the only clear answer Murdy could have given was "No".  Instead his answer was so....political.

16 hours ago, zombieman said:

What is a "literal direct repeat"?

Was AVP or La Llorona's last year a literal direct repeat when they made a change to the final room of each?

Unfortunately, the only clear answer Murdy could have given was "No".  Instead his answer was so....political.

A literal direct repeat would be like AWiL in 2013 and last year. It is the exact same house. So AvP was not a literal direct repeat. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2016 at 8:46 AM, FRlSKY PLATYPUS said:

A literal direct repeat would be like AWiL in 2013 and last year. It is the exact same house. So AvP was not a literal direct repeat. 

Would American Werewolf in London for HHN 25 count? All they did was change the puppets as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong.

36 minutes ago, SeaBass said:

Would American Werewolf in London for HHN 25 count? All they did was change the puppets as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, that is what I was referring to in my post. I think there were other small changes but the majority of the maze was the exact same as the one from 23.

AWIL is the only "literal direct" repeat Orlando has ever done. Not like it matters because the tweet is in reference only to Hollywood (where literal direct repeats use to be fairly common but are far less so now).

As it stands, even if the tweet applied to the East Coast it doesn't tell Orlando anything we don't already know. I still say, with confidence, that TWD will in some capacity be one of our 9 houses.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Legacy said:

AWIL is the only "literal direct" repeat Orlando has ever done. Not like it matters because the tweet is in reference only to Hollywood (where literal direct repeats use to be fairly common but are far less so now).

As it stands, even if the tweet applied to the East Coast it doesn't tell Orlando anything we don't already know. I still say, with confidence, that TWD will in some capacity be one of our 9 houses.

*zombie groan*

This season is going to translate terribly to a house. 

5 hours ago, Legacy said:

I have to disagree. TWD wasn't supposed to happen in Orlando last year AFAIK, and it was received very poorly last year. It's been FOUR years, at an event that doesn't bring back an IP for two years in a row, let alone more. I'm not going to pretend the show's losing steam, because it's not even close to that point yet, and likely won't be for another 3-4 seasons. But as far as HHN goes, I've a feeling we've reached that point. If I end up being wrong, whether it's TWD or FTWD, I will eat my words and not be terribly surprised. I won't even be mad. Just disappointed, but at the end of the day Universal's going for what makes them the most money, and that's not something I have a say in. 

As far as TV shows go, Ash vs. Evil Dead is the only one I'm anticipating. And even then, I'm only anticipating something ED related, not specifically Ash. Could be Army of Darkness for all we know. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, FRlSKY PLATYPUS said:

Not really a wishful thinking, but will Universal ever try to tackle a video game IP ever again? Silent Hill and RE were flops, in my opinion, but if they took a different approach could they be successful or are the worlds/characters just too difficult to replicate? 

They should drawn inspiration from some video game ideas but never do a video game IP.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

They should drawn inspiration from some video game ideas but never do a video game IP.

I have to agree with this. While I think games like Until Dawn and Bioshock would make great houses, the same general concept and theme of each could be pulled off without any need for the IP. 

Until Dawn could be a large log cabin facade with various rooms with the torture devices the "killer" used. Finish off in the caves with Wendigo puppets attacking. Since the game is really all about the characters, using the settings and nailing the "feel" of the game would be enough.

Bioshock 1 is a PERFECT theme and I am really surprised they haven't done a full fledged IP house based on it. Still, characters could be left out of the picture and just theme the house to an underwater city in ruins. The old music is a must though. I just wish they would do it with the IP because I would love to see a life size Big Daddy with a massive drill coming at me!

I just really hope we don't get a WD house this year. I want a year without zombies for a change. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2016 at 9:36 PM, Badge said:

Bioshock 1 is a PERFECT theme and I am really surprised they haven't done a full fledged IP house based on it. Still, characters could be left out of the picture and just theme the house to an underwater city in ruins. The old music is a must though. I just wish they would do it with the IP because I would love to see a life size Big Daddy with a massive drill coming at me!

I think the closest we'll get to Bioshock is Saws N Steam from 2011. The only 2 video game IPs with enough mass draw to pull in big crowds are Resident Evil and Silent Hill, and both were done to mediocre or bad reviews. I don't anticipate them going back to the video game world, except to maybe do RE again, as Mike has said he would like to give it another try someday.

I just really hope we don't get a WD house this year.

I want a year without zombies for a change.

[/quote]

This is what I want. Whatever year ends up being the first year without TWD (which could very well be this year), I want absolutely NO zombies. None in the streets, no house based off them, none. A 100% break from zombies is exactly what the event needs.

I agree with bioshock being absolutely perfect for the event. The splicer designs are freaky as hell and that could be our nice puppet house for the big daddies. I also just love the general asthetic of the game with the Art Deco, old school designes, and the darkness of having the only light come from miles beneath the sea.

With Texas Chainsaw Massacre rumors circulating lately, where could they do this house? Wasn't the Disaster! queue the only place chainsaws could be used other than the streets? I was under the impression that the enclosed nature of soundstages and sprungs were off limits for them. Maybe another queue? M.I.B.?

3 hours ago, BSC said:

With Texas Chainsaw Massacre rumors circulating lately, where could they do this house? Wasn't the Disaster! queue the only place chainsaws could be used other than the streets? I was under the impression that the enclosed nature of soundstages and sprungs were off limits for them. Maybe another queue? M.I.B.?

That's a good assumption. TCM doesn't require sets so vast that it would need an SS or the parade, and they can make the MIB (or even E.T.) queue work as well as Disaster's did. Yes, they've done it already. But to be fair, it's been 9 years, and there's only a very small percentage of attendees who even saw the first house, so it wouldn't matter much. I really enjoyed the 07 house and it's been long enough for me not to fret over it returning. 

• Like 1

If they do a Chainsaw house I hope it's with the real chainsaws.  I could see them putting it in a sound stage to build a full facade of the house from the movies and stuff....and then having non-operating chainsaws with the foot pedals for the various Leatherface scaractors to trigger the chainsaw sound instead of generating them with real chainsaws :(  That would be disappointing since the sounds never seem to synch up directly with what the scaractor is doing (sometimes it does, the more complex ones don't) so you'd have a chainsaw sound with the chainsaw by the scaractors side....or them swinging the chainsaw around with no sound.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, foREVer56 said:

That's a good assumption. TCM doesn't require sets so vast that it would need an SS or the parade, and they can make the MIB (or even E.T.) queue work as well as Disaster's did. Yes, they've done it already. But to be fair, it's been 9 years, and there's only a very small percentage of attendees who even saw the first house, so it wouldn't matter much. I really enjoyed the 07 house and it's been long enough for me not to fret over it returning. 

Anyone that complains about Leatherface should be ashamed!!!!! LOL

On 2/29/2016 at 10:48 AM, Jediwhit82 said:

I agree with bioshock being absolutely perfect for the event. The splicer designs are freaky as hell and that could be our nice puppet house for the big daddies. I also just love the general asthetic of the game with the Art Deco, old school designes, and the darkness of having the only light come from miles beneath the sea.

IDK it's already been done with S&S and the masquerade zone. There really is no need.

2 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

If they do a Chainsaw house I hope it's with the real chainsaws.  I could see them putting it in a sound stage to build a full facade of the house from the movies and stuff....and then having non-operating chainsaws with the foot pedals for the various Leatherface scaractors to trigger the chainsaw sound instead of generating them with real chainsaws :(  That would be disappointing since the sounds never seem to synch up directly with what the scaractor is doing (sometimes it does, the more complex ones don't) so you'd have a chainsaw sound with the chainsaw by the scaractors side....or them swinging the chainsaw around with no sound.

14 hours ago, foREVer56 said:

Plus it's supposed to be based on the 1974 version

Just a few thoughts...

1. Someone above mentioned a possible Penn & Teller return. How was their house from HHN 22 received overall by the public? Personally, I wasn't really that impressed by it. I'd prefer they not return (using up a potential house slot), but assuming they did, would it be an extension of the Newkd Vegas theme or something else entirely? Is there any way they could be brought in to put on their show at HHN? 

2. I really have to wonder if they have it in them to bring back TWD again. I think at this point, even some casual fans are getting tired of seeing it return year after year. I'm a huge TWD fan, but after walking through last year's house and seeing a zombie pretty much kicking a dead horse, I agree that enough is pretty much enough. I guess the only problem I see (from Universal's point of view) is that there really aren't many other ip's they could bring in that could fill the wow factor of TWD. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this shakes out.

3. If they are going to bring in ips (which is pretty much guaranteed at this point), at least Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) is one I definitely wouldn't mind seeing. I didn't see the house from HHN 17, but I'd assume that they theoretically could put together a house that would be even better now. 

4. I do have a slight concern about them cutting back the number of houses to 8 (or less) again. Obviously one of the biggest complaints about the event is the long lines for the houses. If the number of guests increases again this year (or even stays the same) and there is a whole lines worth of people added throughout the park, it will be even more crowded. I found that last year especially a few of the scare zones were basically lost in the masses of people at points. 

5. Personally I'd like to see a house kinda like how the movie Trick 'r Treat plays out. A story that plays out on Halloween night with various classic (or new) creatures that come out on prey on humans in a variety of ways. 

6. I really hope they continue to offer the Rush of Fear pass. 

41 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Just a few thoughts...

1. I spoke with a HHN coordinator specifically about Penn and Teller when I saw this rumor. Turns out, Nuked Vegas was received fairly well by the general population. More importantly, A&D loved working with them.

2. Regarding TWD, it's not really A&D's decision on if they're getting burnt out on it (which they are). TWD is still huge, it's still tied (correlated or not) to HHN's audience explosion, and management probably has no problem bringing it back for that reason. HHN had a zombie house EVERY YEAR. The only difference is now its an IP. FearTWD may be something A&D would enjoy because they can go a slightly different route.

3. This wasn't really a question. I have no hard info on what IPs are coming, but can see TCM as a contender. 

4. It's 9 houses this year.

5. Trick 'r Treat would be fun, but we may not see it until the sequel. If Krampus happens, then TrT has a better shot in the future since it's the same director. That said, I feel the same about Krampus as I did Crimson Peak at this time last year... Which was not confident it was coming at all.

6. Common sense it'll be back, but may be more expensive.