Halloween Horror Nights 26 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

55 minutes ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Just a few thoughts...

1. Someone above mentioned a possible Penn & Teller return. How was their house from HHN 22 received overall by the public? Personally, I wasn't really that impressed by it. I'd prefer they not return (using up a potential house slot), but assuming they did, would it be an extension of the Newkd Vegas theme or something else entirely? Is there any way they could be brought in to put on their show at HHN? 

2. I really have to wonder if they have it in them to bring back TWD again. I think at this point, even some casual fans are getting tired of seeing it return year after year. I'm a huge TWD fan, but after walking through last year's house and seeing a zombie pretty much kicking a dead horse, I agree that enough is pretty much enough. I guess the only problem I see (from Universal's point of view) is that there really aren't many other ip's they could bring in that could fill the wow factor of TWD. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this shakes out.

3. If they are going to bring in ips (which is pretty much guaranteed at this point), at least Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) is one I definitely wouldn't mind seeing. I didn't see the house from HHN 17, but I'd assume that they theoretically could put together a house that would be even better now. 

4. I do have a slight concern about them cutting back the number of houses to 8 (or less) again. Obviously one of the biggest complaints about the event is the long lines for the houses. If the number of guests increases again this year (or even stays the same) and there is a whole lines worth of people added throughout the park, it will be even more crowded. I found that last year especially a few of the scare zones were basically lost in the masses of people at points. 

5. Personally I'd like to see a house kinda like how the movie Trick 'r Treat plays out. A story that plays out on Halloween night with various classic (or new) creatures that come out on prey on humans in a variety of ways. 

6. I really hope they continue to offer the Rush of Fear pass. 

1. I don't believe that rumor to be anything but wishful thinking. It honestly came out of nowhere.

2. Enough's been said on TWD. We just have to wait and see if it pops up this year.

4. I do not anticipate losing a house. DEFINITELY not losing 2 houses.

5. TrT has been begged for for years over in Hollywood, and it seems a sequel is finally happening next year, which is when Murdy says he'll do it. If it happens, there's a chance it will be shared. Not much hope for it this year though, imo.

1 minute ago, Legacy said:

1. I spoke with a HHN coordinator specifically about Penn and Teller when I saw this rumor. Turns out, Nuked Vegas was received fairly well by the general population. More importantly, A&D loved working with them.

2. Regarding TWD, it's not really A&D's decision on if they're getting burnt out on it (which they are). TWD is still huge, it's still tied (correlated or not) to HHN's audience explosion, and management probably has no problem bringing it back for that reason. HHN had a zombie house EVERY YEAR. The only difference is now its an IP. FearTWD may be something A&D would enjoy because they can go a slightly different route.

5. Trick 'r Treat would be fun, but we may not see it until the sequel. If Krampus happens, then TrT has a better shot in the future since it's the same director. That said, I feel the same about Krampus as I did Crimson Peak at this time last year... Which was not confident it was coming at all.

1...........Hmmm.

2. They were tired of it in 2013. Now they're just completely sick of it, and it's starting to show in the houses. Last year's wasn't reviewed well at all, and was nowhere near the most popular house (FvJ, Insidious, and Purge were all way more popular). I really think TWD is gone. But I won't be surprised to be proven wrong.

5. I don't completely anticipate Krampus either. Yeah, Murdy wants to work with the director and it's a Uni IP, but one that will be irrelevant in September. Ot made $50 mil in December, and isn't some kind of cult classic. I don't see a reason to do it at all. 

1 hour ago, Legacy said:

2. HHN had a zombie house EVERY YEAR. The only difference is now its an IP. FearTWD may be something A&D would enjoy because they can go a slightly different route.

4. It's 9 houses this year.

5. Trick 'r Treat would be fun, but we may not see it until the sequel. If Krampus happens, then TrT has a better shot in the future since it's the same director. That said, I feel the same about Krampus as I did Crimson Peak at this time last year... Which was not confident it was coming at all.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't even have an issue with a zombie house. At least if the house was an original, I wouldn't know what to expect next. How would  FearTWD be a different route? Are they are going to take us out to sea (which at least a portion of the new season is going to take place)?

9 houses... Sounds good.

They could use Trick 'r Treat, but even if they didn't, maybe do something similar in concept. As far as Krampus, yeah, they wouldn't do Krampus and TrT in the same year. Now that there is a Krampus movie (Universal), I'd imagine that when/if they did run with it, it would probably be based off of it now instead of something more original. I did think the Krampus character in the movie was amusing looking, however, there seem to be many different variations of Krampus and quite a few of them look pretty cool.

Oh yeah... and the new Purge film characters look more colorful than they did in the last couple, so they would probably work decently in a house. The Purge house last year certainly wasn't my favorite, but considering how little time it took to be thrown together it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It did look a bit rushed though, obviously because it was.

I'll just toss this new Ghostbusters trailer out here for anyone who missed it.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

I'm resigned to a TWD every year as long as it's popular.  I mean, ballpark math says that 10 million people watch each episode.  Lets say the average price for a movie ticket is $10 (that's on the low side, but easy for math).  If all the people who watch one episode were to go to a TWD movie that would be $100M.  Dracula, Dead Silence, any one of the Saw movies, any Freddy, and Jason, any TCM, etc hasn't made that much in it's lifetime.  I know, I know, inflation and bla bla bla.  But still, it's a no brainer.  Especially compared to something like Trick R Treat that to my knowledge was never even released theatrically. 

I look at it like some people look at the "photo op" scare zone.  Might not be my favorite, but I love the show and it's just eye candy to walk through and see how they recreated the sets from the show and what "signature" zombies they have.  Easter egg hunting is fun too.

Since the Icons seem to be going away...or just being recycled with no real back story, I'd love to see the event start to have some themed years.  Something like "HHN30:  80's Slashers" where the IPs would be stuff like Freddy and Jason or whatever.  But then the originals would be similarly themed with props and costumes from the 80s.  The scare zones would be all 80s themed like undead rollerskating chicks with teased hair, legwarmers, and sweatbands and 80s music blasting through the park and in houses.  Whatever, just something that tied it all together by theme where they could mix in both IPs and Originals that would at least be thematically linked.  Have a Supernatural themed year with Paranormal Activity and Poltergeist, a Space Horror year with Aliens, A Big Top Year with Killer Klowns and Circus Freaks, etc.  Of course, the IPs I listed were almost all already done, but just to give an idea of what I'm thinking. 

I was a big fan of the P&T house.. Heck I have concept art and other goodies from the house but I don't want them back this soon. If it's a show then I can see the tickets skyrocketing BIG time.

Also I really like TrT but I'm tired of seeing those costumes and characters, they been used since 2005.. it's time for them to be retired.

Lastly Ghostbusters wont be a house.. Just saying.

17 minutes ago, Ecto_Freak said:

Lastly Ghostbusters wont be a house.. Just saying.

Ghostbusters 3d!

Just kidding...

It seems like every year there is always at least 1 person who thinks it's coming, so I figured why not toss out the trailer. 

I finally got around to watching Krampus last night.  The movie basically just watched like an HHN house.  And I must admit that movie had some of the creepiest looking creatures I've ever seen in a movie.  I'd flip if I had to walk by a puppet of that jack in the box snake thing.  Imagine a dark foggy room for the blizzard, the krampus chain noises and spinning yellow snow plow light for atmosphere...  Regardless of it's relevance, I think it would be a perfect fit at HHN, especially as the "humor" kind of house like Giggles and Gore and This is the End, and especially since people love holiday houses so much (H.R. Bloodengutz, and Santa's return in M&M).

Also, since HHN is so close to election day in November, and the Purge has generally been so well received in the past years, I can definitely see Purge Election Year being a part of the event, if not a big part.  Maybe a house with the "story" part and a scarezone out front with the purgers.

21 hours ago, Futurion said:

I finally got around to watching Krampus last night.  The movie basically just watched like an HHN house.  And I must admit that movie had some of the creepiest looking creatures I've ever seen in a movie.  I'd flip if I had to walk by a puppet of that jack in the box snake thing.  Imagine a dark foggy room for the blizzard, the krampus chain noises and spinning yellow snow plow light for atmosphere...  Regardless of it's relevance, I think it would be a perfect fit at HHN, especially as the "humor" kind of house like Giggles and Gore and This is the End, and especially since people love holiday houses so much (H.R. Bloodengutz, and Santa's return in M&M).

Also, since HHN is so close to election day in November, and the Purge has generally been so well received in the past years, I can definitely see Purge Election Year being a part of the event, if not a big part.  Maybe a house with the "story" part and a scarezone out front with the purgers.

I recently saw it as well.  A snowy foggy facade would be great, but then there were no real icon sets for the rest of the movie (the very last scene in the movie would be one...but not even hinting at spoiling it)....however, I agree, some of the most terrifying creatures ever.  The movie wasn't as funny as most people, myself included, assumed it to be.  Before I just assumed it would be a house, now I'm truly HOPING it is one.

Hateful 8 house.  Or generic Sinful 7 or Naughty 9.  Just kidding.

A western house would be really cool.  And it would be guaranteed to have the dead Nightingales horse in it.  Walk through a room of hanged dummies with one real person hidden in there with a complex safety rig to appear like he's hanging from a neuse (no clue on spelling) too for an epic scare.

Hopefully it's not a Bone Tomahawk house...though seeing people with fake Kurt Russell facial hair could be hillarious.

Edited by Oysterhead00

12 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Hateful 8 house.  Or generic Sinful 7 or Naughty 9.  Just kidding.

A western house would be really cool.  And it would be guaranteed to have the dead Nightingales horse in it.  Walk through a room of hanged dummies with one real person hidden in there with a complex safety rig to appear like he's hanging from a neuse (no clue on spelling) too for an epic scare.

Hopefully it's not a Bone Tomahawk house...though seeing people with fake Kurt Russell facial hair could be hillarious.

I would love to have something similar in atmosphere to Hateful 8, with being trapped by a blizzard and not knowing who to trust(but that may just be my disappointment that I didn't first go to horror nights until after the Thing, and The Thing is my favorite horror movie of all time) but with scary things happening instead of Tarantino things.

Also, I haven't seen it, but Bone Tomahawk looked good to me, was it not? or would it just not work for a house?

Also, while we are on the topic of wishful thinking, I saw close encounters of the third kind recently for the first time. It would be amazing if Universal could replicate the intensity and fear found in the two scenes at the barn house. It wasn't even a horror movie, but those two scenes scared me more then any scene from any movie featured at HHN 25. I know they have worked with Spielberg on E.T. but it would never happen just because it is only two scenes.

Regarding Bone Tomahawk:  Personally, I thought it was a great movie.  However, it's a Western (albeit a bloody one) for the first hour and 45 minutes, and a horror film for the last 30 minutes.  Not great material for a house.  Also, Zahn McClarnon's character is basically a distraction to justify wiping out an entire Native tribe, soooo... kinda racist, too.  Still, I could see them cherry-picking some elements  to fit into an original Western concept (if this happens I will WEEP with joy).

My favorite example of "horror western" would probably be John Findley's comic book series Tex Arcana.

It originally started in chapters appearing in Heavy Metal magazine way back in 1981 when I was 18 years old. It appeared sporadically over the years and he still hasn't finished it. He takes longer than I do with my HHN History videos!

The reply to "Howdy Stranger" in the image was priceless. "Stranger... than what?"

texa003_01.jpg

Worst Case scenario would be a callback to HHN 23 in the streets with nothing but The Purge everywhere.

I am one of those people who advocate for a Ghostbusters house & Recently a Krampus house. I trust Universal to create an entertaining GB house that might turn out as well as AWIL. For Krampus I can imagine they can take the notion from AvP and FvJ where it's an encounter with Krampus in a different setting, not parallel with the movie.

What I really want is a Megahouse like M&M every year, but not anniversary themed.

• Like 1

A Hitchcock house similar to the Poe house from 21 sounds promising. Have some recreations of his most famous movies, but does he have a somewhat real world tragic backstory to tie the scenes together like the Poe house did? Have a scene or two be Hitchcock's office or a piece of studio or say his films have come back to haunt him?

Maybe RUN inspired me, but watching stuff like Kung Fury and Hotline Miami makes me wish for a complete cheeseball 80s house. Throw in as many tropes as you can that were popular for the era with regards to horror (Slashers, street punks, someone mentioned roller disco/rollerderby assassins or zombies, plenty of florescent colors and fog, etc.) and if done right, it could be a hilarious yet horrifying experience. 

In keeping with the theme, a Ghostbusters house would work with the dark humor aspect. Recreate some of the scenes like the Sedgewick, the courthouse from the second film, river of slime, etc. 

Just a couple of ideas that popped in my head. 

Assuming there will be a Hitchcock house, wouldn't it probably just be a Psycho house? When was the last time they used Psycho for a house, HHN 16? I suppose I wouldn't mind them using Psycho as an ip property. The movie is a horror classic and it even has a fairly successful tv series currently running on A&E on Monday evenings. I'm not sure that I'd be all that excited about a Hitchcock greatest hits house. Other than The Birds (which more than likely would translate awful into a house), what other films would get the general public interested? 

Kung Fury! lol What a great movie... I'd be all for an 80's house.

I'd really like to see a cryptid house, especially Bigfoot, Abominable Snowman, Chupacabra, or the Jersey Devil (just to name a few).