Halloween Horror Nights 26 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

1 hour ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

I'd really like to see a cryptid house, especially Bigfoot, Abominable Snowman, Chupacabra, or the Jersey Devil (just to name a few). 

Agree 110%. Would be a good way to continue the Urban Legend houses.

On 3/10/2016 at 7:12 AM, Mrevio said:

Worst Case scenario would be a callback to HHN 23 in the streets with nothing but The Purge everywhere.

I am one of those people who advocate for a Ghostbusters house & Recently a Krampus house. I trust Universal to create an entertaining GB house that might turn out as well as AWIL. For Krampus I can imagine they can take the notion from AvP and FvJ where it's an encounter with Krampus in a different setting, not parallel with the movie.

What I really want is a Megahouse like M&M every year, but not anniversary themed.

I really hope they learned their lesson when it comes to the streets. People like and want scarezones. Last year's streets were amazing and need to keep the same format. Have 4-5 themed scarezones and then 1-2 "random" zones like the clowns in Simpsons and the chainsaws by Transformers. It really felt like the streets were filled with scareactors last year which is always a good thing. 

I don't know how I feel about a Ghostbusters house. Granted, nearly every year there is a "fun" house but I just can't see how they could pull it off without being REALLY cheesy. Krampus on the other hand could be outstanding and I really hope it happens. The latest "clue" from Hollywood was that as far as the cast goes, the most common role is one that will never been seen. This is a big clue that basically means a house of puppets. Krampus used a lot of real puppets in the movie and in order to pull off that house, it would need a lot of puppets. Even Krampus could be a massive puppet since he is a BIG creature. If Hollywood does Krampus, I would be really surprised if Orlando skipped it. 

I agree with you about the bigger houses. No matter how many times I did M&M last year, something about the length really got to me. The last 4th of the house I was always really on edge and always got scared simply because I was in "defense" mode for so long I think. Going to be interesting to see how things work out this year with house placement and how long the new locations might be. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThNdIzNiR said:

Assuming there will be a Hitchcock house, wouldn't it probably just be a Psycho house? When was the last time they used Psycho for a house, HHN 16? I suppose I wouldn't mind them using Psycho as an ip property. The movie is a horror classic and it even has a fairly successful tv series currently running on A&E on Monday evenings. I'm not sure that I'd be all that excited about a Hitchcock greatest hits house. Other than The Birds (which more than likely would translate awful into a house), what other films would get the general public interested? 

It doesn't necessarily have to be a horror movie to translate well into a house. Psycho and the Birds are obvious but movies like Vertigo and Rear Window would also work. Vertigo could use that mirror gag to make you feel really high up are Rear Window could have a killer strobe room. Hitchcock made over 30 movies, not to mention his TV show, so I'm sure they have more then enough material. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

It doesn't necessarily have to be a horror movie to translate well into a house. Psycho and the Birds are obvious but movies like Vertigo and Rear Window would also work. Vertigo could use that mirror gag to make you feel really high up are Rear Window could have a killer strobe room. Hitchcock made over 30 movies, not to mention his TV show, so I'm sure they have more then enough material. 

Exactly the point I was getting at. Stuff like Rear Window and Vertigo were what I had in mind. Birds, while iconic, I can't really think of many scenes that would work. The scene in the attic always frightened me even now. The claustrophobia and the huge flock waiting in the darkness to strike, while hard to execute, could be the scariest part of the film. And like you said, he had a huge filmography and a TV show to boot, so surely there would be something in there that could adapt to the HHN style. 

Same with Twilight Zone, so many stories or classic episodes but the hard part could be a wraparound and how to adapt the subtle creepiness of the show into the HHN style of haunting. 

Two things.

The first codename has been released. "Cobweb." And it's an original.

Second, I think we have proof that Universal management is still in love with TWD. Check out the Facebook posts and see how disappointed people are it's NOT coming to Orlando.

On 2/24/2016 at 5:54 PM, Dead Inside said:

*zombie groan*

This season is going to translate terribly to a house. 

As soon as I saw what happened on the "Kill Floor" last night I turned to my wife and said "I wonder how they will do the flames at HHN this year"....

38 minutes ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

As soon as I saw what happened on the "Kill Floor" last night I turned to my wife and said "I wonder how they will do the flames at HHN this year"....

Basically they could re-use some of the Saw sets (the building looked straight out of Saw 1) and have a little window with those fake flame streamer light things fluttering in front of it and have a burnt scareactor pounding on the door and putting his face up by it periodically.

Have to admit, it's the best location for a house so far...maybe a couple rooms including the hallway and maybe the leash.  Don't want to give anything away for those who haven't watched it yet so I'll leave it at that, but you know what I'm talking about :)

Without starting a new thread, have a general question. What time do they historically start revealing things?

It seems like last year we had some info at this point but I assume that was because it was the 25th and it was already known Jack was back.  This year seems different because of how they have only released tickets to package holders. Can we start expecting tickets to go on sale and basic event info to start coming out in about a month since it is 7 months until opening night now basically. 

On a different note, I am SO glad Mike clarified that they pick code names for houses that are easy to say and don't reveal or hint at the theme/story of the house. I finally can handle horror nights (was a massive chicken but did 24 and 25) but a house with spiders is where I draw the line. If "cobweb" really does turn into a spider themed original house, I might have to skip it. They do like to pray on peoples fears and arachnophobia is something I don't think they have really done much with and I hope they never do.  

Actual information doesn't tend to get released until June or July, but even that is a recent development. It use to be teasers started that time period, but nothing was revealed until end of August. There's still time.

Last year was different because the house list leaked in February. And because it was the 25th year it spread like wildfire. This year, everyone is playing the cards extremely close. Which is more like it was before. I've already given the most helpful info I know.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Legacy said:

Actual information doesn't tend to get released until June or July, but even that is a recent development. It use to be teasers started that time period, but nothing was revealed until end of August. There's still time.

Last year was different because the house list leaked in February. And because it was the 25th year it spread like wildfire. This year, everyone is playing the cards extremely close. Which is more like it was before. I've already given the most helpful info I know.

If everyone stays tight lipped (Which I'm hoping for/expecting for a change), then I think we can expect a lot of false rumors popping up over the next few months, i.e. that list Chad posted on HHNRumors. 

Hollywood announced a year-round TWD Maze on Sunday. I see 2 options for the future of TWD with UOR due to this: 1. Since Uni will own the rights to TWD until that attraction inevitably bites the bullet, say 4 or 5 years from now, we can expect a TWD house until then. Or 2. They worked out a deal where Hollywood will continue to use TWD, but UOR's A&D will no longer be forced to use the property. #1's more likely, but I'm pulling for #2 of course. I just really have a feeling TWD isn't coming back, at least for this year. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, foREVer56 said:

If everyone stays tight lipped (Which I'm hoping for/expecting for a change), then I think we can expect a lot of false rumors popping up over the next few months, i.e. that list Chad posted on HHNRumors. 

Chad's list wasn't new, for what it's worth. I was actually posted here back in January. And from my discussions with people who normally share information, I'd expect stuff to stay pretty tight-lipped. Even the Western rumor has nothing backing it aside from talk.

And I still see TWD happening.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, zombieman said:

If this year is like the rest, tune in to Dr. Jimmy's Youtube channel on 4/1/16, as he will reveal ALL secrets of HHN 26.  Personally, I am hoping for a non-musical version.  

I will be making a video on that date again this year. But it will not be quite the same as those made previously. None of the videos I've made on that particular date are musical. This one will not  be musical as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Jimmy said:

I will be making a video on that date again this year. But it will not be quite the same as those made previously. None of the videos I've made on that particular date are musical. This one will not  be musical as well.

Yay!  I always look forward to your April 1 mind droppings. 

Edited by zombieman

23 hours ago, Legacy said:

Chad's list wasn't new, for what it's worth. I was actually posted here back in January. And from my discussions with people who normally share information, I'd expect stuff to stay pretty tight-lipped. Even the Western rumor has nothing backing it aside from talk.

And I still see TWD happening.

All 8 houses on that list are just rumors and concepts of the past few years, plus a few obvious, timely ones. So yeah, nothing new. 

I really with AHS' and TWD's popularity/rights issues were reversed. If we had to get stuck with a TV show every year, AHS was PERFECT. 100% new environments every season, new characters, totally new mazes every year. Rather than different forest, different store, etc. from TWD every year. 

• Like 2

When I type "Penn & Teller" I almost always type "Peen". Maybe it's a Freudian slip?

I expect TWD as well. No real info on that, it's just become the status quo

hlirgh hrii ph'nglui, n'gha-ghaa naf'lthagn

You'll have to excuse my R'lyehian syntax. It is a dead language (read as: made up) after all.

Joking aside

For those who care, I had a mind shift (read as: anger rant) last year over HHN. I don't sweat it anymore. Mainly because there really is nothing TO sweat.

It used to be. It had canonical story and cohesive themes, and interactive websites. Those things made it interesting and gave it the crazy fan-base it has today. But that isn't what it is anymore. Sure, it is to the creatives who every year conjure up the ideas but the translation is lost somewhat in the final product.

I'm not mad (anymore). It is what it is and I'm actually a bit on the relieved side. I saw it for what it is: A Halloween event designed to make money. Can it be entertaining? Sure, but your mindset has to be right. If you go into it as a fanatical die-hard of the glory days I can't imagine you well come away happy. I know I didn't.

The thing about that list. I had it handed to me a few months back and while I don't 100% believe it, nothing on it surprises me. It's all speculation that has been on the table for a while with logical assumptions that fit the current business model. What we will see is very predictable (with a few original curve balls).

Is that bad? Not necessarily. Even if it is, there is no sense in lamenting over what was. It won't make it come back. They don't listen to the die-hard anymore. At least not in a tangible way. They can't really... and maybe they shouldn't. People get stuck in their ways. They have to do what makes them money. They are a theme park so they have to paint with broad strokes to pull in your average Halloween/theme park enthusiast. It was inevitable that the event would "sell out" once it got big enough. 

Which is fine. There are different haunts to replace what HHN was.

Either way it's really not a big deal. It's a theme park. It's meant to be enjoyed, take your money, and be forgotten. Remember what you like, forget what you don't and if the latter outweighs the former then cut it loose.

So I'll go, report on it, have the best time I can, and move on with my life. Just like I do with other haunts and diversions in my life.

You do what you do. But crying over split ICON blood won't get us anywhere but angry and frustrated.

Oh and

Completed next phase of content approval for the next maze creative in a meeting with IP holders here in LA. Now coming home.

So it's safe to say IPs are shared.

• Like 1

I'm in the camp of I don't care if it's original or an IP, as long as it's well done, an IP house could easily take away the gold. My thing is the IPs have to be open to a casual audience, which is why I don't fancy TWD houses, since they're always based on that current season and I've never followed the series too closely. For fans of the show, of course that's great, but think of something like Freddy Vs. Jason from last year, where they had some of both franchise's most iconic kills instead of something more niche. You want to go for the biggest bracket, and I suppose if that bigger bracket are people who follow the show, more power to them. 

Like I said, as long as there's effort put in these houses and they're not just done as a cash grab, I'm totally fine with them. Universal usually knocks an equal part of original/IP houses out of the park (Body Collectors and F Vs. J were two big hits from last year) and I go with this motto: HHN houses are like a pizza, even if they're not the best, they're still pretty damn good. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Johnny Topside said:

Does anyone have an idea on when construction would start this year?

April or May

I just want to see NEW icons and characters.. I could careless about IPs as long as it doesnt feel like a cookie cutting move (Looking at you Purge)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ecto_Freak said:

April or May

I just want to see NEW icons and characters.. I could careless about IPs as long as it doesnt feel like a cookie cutting move (Looking at you Purge)

Everything seems to be scheduled earlier this year? I mean it was just a few years ago that we only got permits in June? Of course, that year there was a delay because of Harry Potter or something, but it does seem like it's all way ahead of schedule compared to recent years.

Let's have some crazy, shall we.

I catch wind of a Western house rumor.

Hollywood tweets that, "The most common role will not be seen," implying a puppet heavy year.

Now, HHN Unofficial is saying they've been informed of a Tremors house rumor.

Discuss.

4 hours ago, Legacy said:

Let's have some crazy, shall we.

I catch wind of a Western house rumor.

Hollywood tweets that, "The most common role will not be seen," implying a puppet heavy year.

Now, HHN Unofficial is saying they've been informed of a Tremors house rumor.

Discuss.

Don't forget Gale Anne Hurd produced Tremors