RUN: Blood, Sweat, and Fears

Mark M.

Did this house twice, and it actually improved quite a bit! Cast A still has some work to do, but B was ON POINT. 

No GATs to be found, but I MIGHT have found one in Asylum. Will confirm tomorrow. 

I did one go through last night.  Same on the GATs.  I saw some buttons and such around Ole Smokey, but they did nada when pressed.  They were the only obvious ones I saw in the entire house.  Not sure which cast we had, but it was definitely a better go through than we had on the weekends.

Not a bad house. Absolutely loved the "RUN" part of the second facade. Wish it felt more 80s though. Some countries were great, some weren't.

I am VERY surprised people who went to HHN14 aren't realizing the biggest tie in to Hellgate Prison. When you go near the "RUN" sign there are two people, one on each side of you, talking dirty smack to you. One guy said, "Oh they're going to like you" which is EXACTLY what was said in the original Hellgate Prison by an inmate (among other things he said) as you entered the prison.

Edited by criticalanalysis

From the videos I watched, I honestly feel like this house was a missed opportunity for something really cool. It should have been cornier, more 80s like Critical mentioned. I also feel like they should have picked a few assassins, one of which being Eddie, and made them the villains of the house rather than have a bunch of themed rooms and different characters. I just felt it didn't work the way they set it up and it didn't feel like a game like it was supposed to. More generic, ramshackle sets resembling paintball fields would have worked.

They really could have played off of Eddie's back story with this one. I did like the little chainlink "maze" at the end, though.

• Like 4

From the videos I watched, I honestly feel like this house was a missed opportunity for something really cool. It should have been cornier, more 80s like Critical mentioned. I also feel like they should have picked a few assassins, one of which being Eddie, and made them the villains of the house rather than have a bunch of themed rooms and different characters. I just felt it didn't work the way they set it up and it didn't feel like a game like it was supposed to. More generic, ramshackle sets resembling paintball fields would have worked.

They really could have played off of Eddie's back story with this one. I did like the little chainlink "maze" at the end, though.

That was my disappointment too. They could have expanded on the 80s setting aside from the queue and backstory, and maybe give Eddie more presence. They could have maybe used American Gladiators or again, like I mentioned, 80s WWF as an inspiration, very over the top. Could you imagine something like a psychotic Macho Man or Ultimate Warrior cutting a promo before you enter their room or in the queue video. I kind of feel like this house could have been more, but I still had fun. Compared to the other original houses, this one was in the middle. 

Edited by AbeLinkedIn
  • Like 1

That was my disappointment too. They could have expanded on the 80s setting aside from the queue and backstory, and maybe give Eddie more presence. They could have maybe used American Gladiators or again, like I mentioned, 80s WWF as an inspiration, very over the top. Could you imagine something like a psychotic Macho Man or Ultimate Warrior cutting a promo before you enter their room or in the queue video. I kind of feel like this house could have been more, but I still had fun. Compared to the other original houses, this one was in the middle. 

that would have been funny and awesome, a gory version of WWF... would have been better

I know people were happy and excited about different countries being represented but i think it hurts the house, a more coherent story with american gladiators could have been better who knows. 

• Like 1

that would have been funny and awesome, a gory version of WWF... would have been better

I know people were happy and excited about different countries being represented but i think it hurts the house, a more coherent story with american gladiators could have been better who knows. 

That's what I expected at first, especially since foreign characters were huge in 80s WWF (Iron Shiek, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Tito Santana, British Bulldog, Bushwackers, etc.) and since this house was supposed to take place in the late 80s, a huge opportunity was missed. 

Here's hoping if they do a house like this again they'll keep this idea in consideration. It doesn't have to be wrestling, but the theatrics and cheesiness. I know Universal can do cheesy when they want. Leave It to Cleaver and Bloodengutz were perfect in that regard, maybe even Zombiegeddon, and I understand RUN as a series of houses isn't known for cheese, but with the 80s, that's kind of a requirement. You can be corny and funny and still be frightening, and the idea of a psychotic WWF would have been a perfect fit for this house, but have the championship be with which Reaper has the most kills, goriest kills, most creative kill, etc. And like I said, have a transition room where there's a TV playing that Reaper cutting a promo wanting the RUN Championship, letting Hellgate be the Madison Square Garden of the CSA. Now what if they redid the house but set it in Shadybrook? 

• Like 1

When this house was announced I was pumped for it and after reading about the premise of it I was sold and didn't want to know anything else so I could go into it without expecting certain things to happen etc. So I did this house 6 times in my first 3 nights at the event last weekend and 4 times on the Sunday ( 3 times one straight after another has there was no queue at 1 a.m ) I didn't get the house at first and thought it had too many dead rooms inside as you went into each new reaper zone and also the candy room at the end which I still think looked out of place for even this house. The house would of benefited from either the game show host / actor being on the facade outside telling people about the show using exposition dialogue and interacting with the crowd or In the first room make it that your in the game show studio like the Running Man film so you actually feel like your in a game show and not just walking through a random house with no kinda story . 

They FINALLY added a few actors to a room that seriously needed them. Caught me by surprise.

I've had some great runs in this house as of recent. I think the house overall is fun to go through. Not an amazing house, but it's good, and when the cast is as intense as it was tonight, it makes for a great experience.

• Like 1

Last night a saw a bit of queue video - the bit with "last year's champions" who sadly do not appear in the house. Would have loved to see The Lump and his Pet and Dr. Whitechapel (69 kills!) as actual scareactors.

Great moment when the Enforcer got right in my face with "So, it's the Cat Lover himself! They're really gonna love you in there!"

Edited by Dr. Jimmy
  • Like 3

I personally loved RUN. I had the pleasure of visiting towards the end of the night and being quite literally the only person inside, which allowed me to be targeted exclusively by ALL the scareactors and I was actually able to RUN at multiple times through the house. It was such a great Horror Nights experience; seeing each room for the first time, slowly creeping through and pushing the drapes aside to see an empty hallway (or one with a Roman soldier at the end), no house attendants barking at me to keep it moving. I screamed and laughed and had such a good time.

That goes to show you that experience >>> actual quality of the house. Insidious and FvJ are great and all, but these conga lines really kill the vibe for me. Recently I've just been visiting right at opening, walking right into the houses, experiencing those empty houses, and bailing before the masses arrive. 

• Like 6

Finally found the GAT chainsaw last night. It's hard to find as it's a bit "in the dark"

Did you press it?  I know we've totally overhyped the thing and it's probably lame, but now I'm curious.  Otherwise I'll check this Wednesday.  However, there's a chance I may skip the house.  I don't know what it is but these Disaster houses don't do it for me.  I'm not saying I don't like Run, but it's not enough to keep drawing me in.  Same feeling for most houses in this location.  If anything, go through to check for this GAT.

I went on an UTH tour and the guide said there were no GAT's this year. 

However on tour there were defiantly a lot of actor triggers that were within guest reach pretty much but they bet on you being scared away from the location of the trigger via actor. We didn't see run on tour but I would just make a hypothetical guess the trigger isn't a GAT but rather a trigger for the actor to start the chainsaw noise. If there isn't an actor there on top of the saw, there probably was meant to be.

For that reason I would probably advise to stay away from touching the saw just in case. 

Edited by MissBA