HHN 25 Discussion

Correct I am not going. I always do all of these things. NEVER has it cost so much. I want to enjoy my time... not skimp because of the price.

I loved the UMTH tour and if I went I would want to do it. Then again. It was crowded as hell last year as well. The AP party was so choked with people it was 45 min waits for houses with a restricted audience. I waited longer than I have ever waited for a house last year... in the rain. (Unless you count fright nights... there was only one house.)  I'm just over it.

Two nights is all I have the ability to go.

My point is I can see 3 different events in two nights and get a hotel still insanely cheaper than the fiasco and ordeal HHN has become.

I just am... disappointed in what it has become. YOU of all people should know what that is ;) I'm not even upset with the decision. I'm excited to try all new (to me) events.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to become a huge topic. Was just supposed to be a BTW with the RIP and UMTH prices.

Unfortunately, I hear you brother... Money for me isn't so much the issue, but realizing the "tried and true" are being so ignored and the pandering to (let's face it, "punks") has sent me looking for greener (darker) pastures.  I too am going to Tampa (though I've been many times before).  I'm concerned about HOS budget cuts, but with Scott Swenson's "The Vault of Souls" and "Scream-a-geddon" happening in Tampa, I'm hopeful.  What are the three events you mention?

Going by last year could be tricky. In case you don't recall the second reveal was for From Dusk Till Dawn and there was a spoiler when the video made by the cast talking about the house was somehow posted at YouTube openly rather than privately a few days before the official reveal! Also Halloween was spoiled several weeks early when a website devoted to the films prematurely posted promotional material about the house! 

And last year, although most of the IPs were revealed official first, the three original houses and two original scarzones were all announced well before Halloween was "officially" revealed.

So this year they probably will reveal the remaining IPs over the next few weeks... but we do not know exactly what the contracts with the copyright holders for the brands entail. Often these include an agreed to "reveal date" which sometimes can be much later than what we would think makes sense. And accidents do happen and IPs could get spoiled the way it happened last year again.

The schedule changes every year, and they don"t tell us what it is in advance. So the suspense builds.... what fun!

Edited by Dr. Jimmy
  • Like 4

It's a Hannibal shirt. That's Graham and the stag-Hannibal vision behind him.

It also doesn't mean anything. Hannibal was just cancelled by NBC. They wouldn't cancel a show that was going to be featured at the "nation's premier haunt event."

So this year they probably will reveal the remaining IPs over the next few weeks... but we do not know exactly what the contracts with the copyright holders for the brands entail. Often these include an agreed to "reveal date" which sometimes can be much later than what we would think makes sense. And accidents do happen and IPs could get spoiled the way it happened last year again.

Even if they don't release any info today, I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen at some point now through (especially with Comic Con running Thurs-Sun) next Monday. If they wait until after that, it would be would be rather foolish in my opinion. There are a lot of people who book their trips well in advance and if I was a casual fan thinking about booking a trip, I wouldn't exactly be blown away with what has been revealed by the marketing department thus far. Are they going to wait until August and just dump all the information over the course of 3 or 4 weeks? 

As far as the shirt goes, I've never seen Hannibal, so I had no idea. I just saw antlers and hoped maybe it was a hint. I hadn't really paid any attention to the shirt at 1st. In the end, it doesn't matter because it's almost definitely not a clue.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

Are they going to wait until August and just dump all the information over the course of 3 or 4 weeks? 

As far as the shirt goes, I've never seen Hannibal, so I had no idea. I just saw antlers and hoped maybe it was a hint. I hadn't really paid any attention to the shirt at 1st. In the end, it doesn't matter because it's almost definitely not a clue.

It worked for two decades. Besides, of the IPs, the one they've announced is the biggest. The percentage of trip guests who are waiting for more information (outside of what is available) is likely negligible. Insidious, TWD, and Werewolf aren't going to draw a huge amount of people who weren't already planning on attending. Scream might, but I can see Universal being a tad cautious since it's an older franchise whose most recent film is a 4 year old flop. Freddy and Jason are horror icons. Scream is... Well, Scream. It's literally become a parody of its own satire.

The lineup that we know thus far is, arguably, a disappointment. The longer it takes to announce everything, the more apparent it is that the list is accurate. Freddy vs Jason is obviously they're big sell. Why crowd the waters with things that might not draw the crowd when you can just leave the big fish alone to draw all the attention?

And that "almost" is unnecessary. The Hannibal shirt is definitely not a clue.

• Like 2

It worked for two decades. Besides, of the IPs, the one they've announced is the biggest. The percentage of trip guests who are waiting for more information (outside of what is available) is likely negligible. Insidious, TWD, and Werewolf aren't going to draw a huge amount of people who weren't already planning on attending. Scream might, but I can see Universal being a tad cautious since it's an older franchise whose most recent film is a 4 year old flop. Freddy and Jason are horror icons. Scream is... Well, Scream. It's literally become a parody of its own satire.

The lineup that we know thus far is, arguably, a disappointment. The longer it takes to announce everything, the more apparent it is that the list is accurate. Freddy vs Jason is obviously they're big sell. Why crowd the waters with things that might not draw the crowd when you can just leave the big fish alone to draw all the attention?

And that "almost" is unnecessary. The Hannibal shirt is definitely not a clue.

FvJ pretty much no matter what has to be their biggest ip. I mean, c'mon... it's Freddy and Jason. How could it get bigger? I'm just hoping there is at least some sort of surprise modification to the house or scare zone list. TWD could still pull in people who haven't attended the past few years. AWiL might even have a little pull power for those who either missed it a couple years back or maybe even some who actually want to see it again (the house was a big hit after all). By the time they make the Scream announcement, there could possibly be additional fans of the tv series who will want to check out that house. I just don't see anything positive being done by holding back the list when the event is only a couple months away (so close). Even the ips where the rights need to be acquired should want their title brought up earlier. I know I enjoy watching the movies being used right before I head down there.

I think the lineup is especially a disappointment because it's the 25th anniversary and I personally expected more. Basically since the end of HHN 20 I've waited for this year's lineup. I'm not exactly blown away with it. 

• Like 1

Universal has only done weekly announcements for (I think) 2 or 3 years. Prior to that, everything was announced the last week of August.

Universal has announced what will draw people. That's all they "need" to announce. Insidious and Scream are likely the only other IPs that warrant their own reveal. If anything gets announced at Comic Con, it's likely Scream or TWD because (unless we get blindsided), there's no other panel relevant.

• Like 3

Just a quick question. I have only been coming to HHN for the past 4 years and every time we have got there once the event has started.

Is it better to be in the park before the event starts and if so where do they ask you to go? I know it is probably a stupid question but I was just wondering if most people got in the park before the event began. It won't matter about que size as we get the fast pass, although we have never had chance to do a show whilst we have been there. We just always decide to go in once the park is dark as we seem to have the idea that the atmosphere will be better?

they coral you if you are in the park before HHN starts. Since its a separate ticket. You have to go over by the irish bar (Finnegans? Ive only been there 1000 times). They will check to make sure you have an HHN ticket while they are clearing everyone else out. Once the event starts you are FREEEEEE. If you wait for the HHN to start outside the park you just line up at teh gates and make a mad dash to whatever house you want to see first.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I hear you brother... Money for me isn't so much the issue, but realizing the "tried and true" are being so ignored and the pandering to (let's face it, "punks") has sent me looking for greener (darker) pastures.  I too am going to Tampa (though I've been many times before).  I'm concerned about HOS budget cuts, but with Scott Swenson's "The Vault of Souls" and "Scream-a-geddon" happening in Tampa, I'm hopeful.  What are the three events you mention?

Scream-a-geddon, HOS, and Shallow Grave. But of course you still have the Radley house, and Vault of souls as well.

Incidentally I took a road trip to Scream-A-Geddon. Took some pics. Looks promising.

Sadly, I agree.

Okay, so those with the good sources: I'm wondering if there's anything new.  My friend who's been a scareactor the past 9 years is at auditions right now.  He texted me saying FvJ is the only legit house from the leaked list.  I asked if he was messing with me and he said he's serious.  However, I wouldn't consider him as someone in the know, even though he's worked the event for so long.  Now he texted back saying a couple other houses from the list are likely but the rest are unknown.  I asked how he knows this and said the stage managers informed him.  Who knows.  I know most of us are disappointed with this anniversary line-up.  But I don't want to keep getting my hopes up for changes.  Nor do I think Uni could do such a coup.

There is no incentive for the stage managers are anyone working the event to confirm a leaked list. In fact, the stage managers have likely been told to not confirm anything because of these very discussions. There hasn't been any talk (to my knowledge) of changes aside from the questionable arguments about Body Collectors/Scarepy/Run confusion.

Like I've maintained the whole time though, the list (and myself) could be very wrong. And that would actually be a good thing.

• Like 2

Legacy can speak from experience.  But from listening to my friend's experiences the past 9 years, yes, they use the code names and they have no idea at auditions what the line-up is.  And they won't know for a couple weeks what their roles will even be.  Again, I take what my friend says with a grain of salt.

Because I can't resist speculating in some form...

These images that were released by Legendary yesterday seem to have merchandising potential. (Yes, I'm still holding out hope for that Crimson Peak was the exclusive look mentioned on the ScareTOUR invite.)

@Legendary: In four all-new #CrimsonPeak character posters, the cast reveals a different side of themselves. What do you see? http://t.co/LPZw9Unzlx