HHN 25 Discussion

^ I honestly think that is the only way they can go with it. Not only does last season not offer up a lot in terms of house potential, but they can also spin a Fear The Walking Dead as "new" in a way, I guess. Plus, I'm sure it really will have some new-ish scenarios we haven't seen ( at least in WD houses past.) On top of all of that... it's free publicity for the new show. 

Edited by _Veritas_
  • Like 1

Let me just say.. EXCUSE ME for hating the fact that TWD is coming back again.  I pay for my tickets just like everyone else, and if I want to bitch about it, I will.  I'm not saying it's not popular.  I'm not saying that Uni makes an ass-load of money from it.  Doesn't mean I have to like it.  I find it extraordinarily boring and tedious, and I think zombies are stupid.  So sue me.

• Like 2

Guest kiwisoup

As much as I'd rather have TWD be gone and move on to something else, I realize the redundancy in complaining and rehashing it over and over every year. I realize how valuable the property is to Comcast/Universal and how it would frankly be a poor business decision for them to choose to not bring it back despite it's growing popularity. Peoples' complains in a forum or on facebook comments are not representative of the mainstream public. For every person who hates TWD and wants them gone there are 100 that love it and can't get enough. I choose to just be realistic and move on to discussing other things. There are 9 houses. We are getting 8 non-TWD houses...it would probably be 8 TOTAL still without the growth TWD has brough...and marketing isn't focusing as heavily on TWD this year...that's something.

Edited by kiwisoup

The only way TWD doesn't come back is when enough of the gp has an outcry for no more. Which makes people who tell the complainers of it coming back to shut up and accept what you get, are part of the problem. Why yes maybe the amount of people who just want it to go away forever are very small compared to the amount of people to want it to come back every year. Or maybe once it gets announced, and people realize that this will go from the biggest house of all time, to something significantly smaller, the amount of people who are sick of it, might be a lot more than you think. Once the event is over I feel a bigger push from the public to try to convince the creative team to not bring it back will do some good

Im not crazy about the thought of TWD coming back. But if it does it does. I just dont want the whole event to revolve around it. I dont like having 3 pieces of merch to choose from that doesnt have TWD zombies all over it. SO hopefully marketing lays off it a bit.

There's no such thing as "free publicity" in this business.

LOL Wut?!

• Like 2

Im not crazy about the thought of TWD coming back. But if it does it does. I just dont want the whole event to revolve around it. I dont like having 3 pieces of merch to choose from that doesnt have TWD zombies all over it.

This. I don't really care if the house is back or not. Whatever, I'm used to it by now, and it's gotten better each year/has never been bad so it's not that big a deal to me. The fact that it's taken over a good 90% of the merch and it's overbearing presence is what has pissed me off more than anything since day 1. I want a shooter that's not TWD. A Hat that's not TWD. I'd LOVE if the originals had shirts like in Howl O Scream.Year specific merch, like the playing cards during HHN21. Stuff like that is all I want back from what TWD's taken from the event. The parkwide scarezone was a croc a shit too, but that was a one year marketing tool and isn't gonna happen again. I hope for the best for this house this year, as it hasn't been bad yet. None have been amazing, but the last 2 were close, especially last year.

Another thing I really hope for this year is a grand entrance to the event at the arches, like 07-09. Don't just do a ferris wheel. Make the entire entrance themed to the entrance of a carnival. Have the 25th logo at the top of the arch and have Jack's face on it, maybe even have an audio track of him saying stuff. NO IP's represented at the front. Just have it as the theme of the year as the entrance.

I don't expect that in the slightest. But it would be nice.

• Like 1

I agree on the merch.. I am somewhat of a collector (i.e. hoarder) of HHN stuff, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy all that crap.  It's funny because I pick up merch for friends back at home, and sometimes I don't get rid of it all.  So, I just put it up on eBay.  The one extra shirt I had was the Halloween shirt from last year, and I had people sending me email asking if I had more of them.  I barely got rid of the one TWD shirt I had.  I like things like the playing cards from 21 or any other creative merch tie-in, too.  You nailed it, ForeverEvil

The interior demo permit has been pulled for Project 727 *coughTwistercough*....

Without a closure announcement for the attraction, it's hard to estimate when the demo will begin, but will it change the HHN queue lines since queues have ran through the building and extended queue?

Oh Sweet Jesus... more action in the front of the park possibly resulting in even less space for the crowds this year. 

I hope they wait until November for the demolition.

Oh Sweet Jesus... more action in the front of the park possibly resulting in even less space for the crowds this year.

I hope they wait until November for the demolition.

I've seen people say it's gonna happen around September/October. I can see them waiting till after HHN's done, but if it's just internal stuff to begin with than maybe not.

They won't hurt HHN to start demolishing earlier. That's ridiculous and has never been seen other than for Harry Potter (which didn't obstruct any paths).

There has been construction all over the past few years. In 2012, it seemed like there was construction everywhere. Clearly Potter was the cause to most of it and I was especially upset over the loss of the Jaws Ride, but it seemed like there were construction walls put up all over the park. I think the Transformers Ride construction also made a contribution. Even last year there were walls put up around where Sting Alley is (which did obstruct a fairly unused pathway). I suppose construction may be a good thing to some people, but personally I think it takes away from the event, even if it doesn't obstruct anything.

Maybe it's me, but in this day and age, I believe construction/demolition could be done much faster if they really wanted to get it done. 

When I went on an Alaska cruise a few years back we went on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad. For those unfamiliar with what that is, it's a stretch of railroad built mostly in the 1890's that is a bit over 100 miles that runs up through basically a small mountain of almost 3000 feet. They had no modern technology and had to blast through God knows how much rock to build the track up through the mountain. There was very little there at the time, so they had very little supplies. Yet they did all that in a bit over 2 years time. You have to see it to really appreciate how absurd that amount of time is given those circumstances. My point is, if they can do that back then, with today's manpower, technology and ability to move resources, things could be done much more efficiently. But... As we know by looking at the roadways, that is obviously not the case.

With all that being said, they better wait until after HHN is over to start the demolition. If I had to guess, HHN is now one of their busiest times nowadays. Why would they choose to ruin the ambience of the park during this period? There has to be better options.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

They won't hurt HHN to start demolishing earlier. That's ridiculous and has never been seen other than for Harry Potter (which didn't obstruct any paths).

Potter obstructed a huge path......... Hell, the construction of Rockit was a huge obstruction and Universal found a way to work around it.

HHN has zero deciding factor on when to demolish Twister. Comcast and Uni reps arent sitting around going "You know, we could start demolition and construction on a new attraction to get it ready for the 2016-2017 season.... BUT we cant because a line queue for Horror Nights is much more important!"

• Like 3

There has been construction all over the past few years. In 2012, it seemed like there was construction everywhere. Clearly Potter was the cause to most of it and I was especially upset over the loss of the Jaws Ride, but it seemed like there were construction walls put up all over the park. I think the Transformers Ride construction also made a contribution. Even last year there were walls put up around where Sting Alley is (which did obstruct a fairly unused pathway). I suppose construction may be a good thing to some people, but personally I think it takes away from the event, even if it doesn't obstruct anything.

Yes, Transformers was being built in 2012. Last year, they redid paving during HHN in the NY area.

You answered you own question. It can't be done faster because we have today's technology. Interior demolition will consist of capping off and carefully removing all electrical, water, mechanical, and pyrotechnical elements. Also, the 1890s lacked many of the modern safety and work related regulations. These regulations will cause delays in time due to inspections and regulated work hours. Since it only took one year to complete the full demolition of a building to the completion of a brand new building and ride system for Transformers, I think Universal is doing well with these elements.

Since the Twister building won't be completely demolished, the only impact the construction will have is on queue line layouts. They may be able to run queues through the extended queue area without any issues. The only queue aspect that will most likely be impacted by ongoing internal demolition is the portion of queue that has historically been inside the building.

Ambiance should not be harmed. We just may have a different queue path.

• Like 3

Potter obstructed a huge path......... Hell, the construction of Rockit was a huge obstruction and Universal found a way to work around it.

HHN has zero deciding factor on when to demolish Twister. Comcast and Uni reps arent sitting around going "You know, we could start demolition and construction on a new attraction to get it ready for the 2016-2017 season.... BUT we cant because a line queue for Horror Nights is much more important!"

Exactly!

Hell, the construction of Rockit was a huge obstruction and Universal found a way to work around it.

How did they adjust for the Rip Rockit construction (it was before I started attending)? It was probably at least a little bit less busy back in 2008 though, correct?

So just do construction in the middle of one of the busiest times of the year for the park (HHN, not daytime)? Yeah, why should they actually care about what people attending might think when selling more tickets is what really matters right? Potentially overcrowding an area to the point where it could become a safety concern definitely comes 2nd to $.

HHN runs roughly a month and a half... I think they could push it back a couple weeks. They could probably even start a bunch of the prep work even while the event is taking place. I'm just hoping they aren't completely knocking down a building the first week of October. I'm just tired of all the construction taking place. All that Harry Potter stuff they built was ridiculous in my opinion. It's not ridiculous because it's Harry Potter (I know how popular he is), but because of the timing of it all. They waited to build all that stuff when all the movies were over with. They probably should have built it when people were really excited about seeing the movies. Sorry to say it, but Potter is played out now. The same thing went for the Transformers Ride. Why didn't they put the ride up right when the 1st movie came out when the Transformer comeback was in full swing? Instead they wait until people are not nearly as interested in it. Geez... I couldn't even convince my wife to watch the last movie because they just kept getting worse with each 1. It's like whoever is in charge making decisions is several years behind reality. I wouldn't trust these people to run a lemonade stand never mind making decisions for a billion dollar company. 

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

1. It's internal demo, not a full blown building demo.

2. When it comes to construction projects, deadlines is everything, when it's time to start, it's time to start. There's no "let's delay the project back month and a half so that hhn fanatics can have a pleasant time.

The reality is that things just don't work like that. Let's just wait and see what happens before jumping to conclusions. Mistique got it right.

• Like 2

The houses in 2008 were Creatures in 22, and Interstellar Terror and Body Collectors in 20. The had a small space between the construction wall and Twister that was the exit. Two entrances went through Twister and switchbacks were set up in 23. The other went by the Library and wrapped all the way around to the parking lot by 20.

1. It's internal demo, not a full blown building demo.

The reality is that things just don't work like that. Let's just wait and see what happens before jumping to conclusions. Mistique got it right.

The permit currently filed is for an internal demo, but I'm sure there will probably be more to it than that eventually (especially if it's an all new attraction). Guess we'll see down the road. 

I just seem to have this feeling that the crowds are going to be completely ridiculous this year. Between the 9th house, the 25th Anniversary, and heck... even the return of Jack (for the locals), it has the makings of quite a potential mess. The last thing needed is areas closed off. 

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

The permit currently filed is for an internal demo, but I'm sure there will probably be more to it than that eventually (especially if it's an all new attraction). Guess we'll see down the road.

They can't demo the whole building. Rockit runs through it. This will most likely be a similar situation to the Hanna Baberra/Neutron change over. We will just get an internal change (although ride elements will be added I'm assuming).

Wanted to add: The initial project permit is for building renovations.

• Like 1