HHN Hollywood 2014 Speculation

They are one of the biggest rock bands of all time and back in the day they were considered "the devil" by some people. i will not be the least bit surprised if they get a 3D maze.......im against it however

I mean it's Halloween "Horror" Nights not Halloween Rock Band Nights and if I'm not mistaken most Rock bands were considered the devil back in the day.

They been on surveys as well as Lady Gaga may I point out, to be honest though personally I don't like KISS cuz to me it's the definition of Cheesy Dad Rock, but I understand people like them just not my cup of tea but to make an haunted attraction based off of them? that's a huge stretch not that they will do it but that anything good can come out of it, a bunch of dude with Gene Simmon's face paint would just make me feel like I'm walking through the movie "Detroit Rock City". Also I could be wrong but all the songs I know from KISS are not Horror related. "I wanna rock and roll all night" is not scary unless you have work in the morning. At least Alice Cooper had songs about Hell and a Nightmare world and Black Sabbath had songs about demons and such. Don't mean to sound like a doosh I just don't think a KISS maze is that bright of an idea.

As for Walking Dead Train Tracks I'm calling it now!

For those who think Kiss being in the rock and roll hall of fame makes that big of a difference...without looking name a single other act being inducted this year. Paul Stanley hates the rock and roll hall of fame and publicly said it was not an honor. The whole thing is a joke.

I'm sure Murdy has considered it, but he started the year with 48 potential properties. A lot of stuff has been on surveys. True Blood, Dexter, Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, Tim Burton, Alien, Amityville Horror, 28 Days Later, Hellraiser, Ozzy, Lords of Salem. All of those things have one thing in common. They didn't happen, and for reasons. I'm sure he's talked with a few hundred people over the years because people want to be a part of the event.

• Like 1

As someone who contributes at least one or two posts to the KISS speculation every year (somewhat jokingly), I don't think the idea is that far-fetched. The obvious Hall of Fame, upcoming arena football team (LA KISS?), previous Monster album, et al, probably does not put them on a fast track to Halloween Horror Nights. It would have to be the long standing popularity the band has maintained over the past 40 years and the premise that you could sell the KISS brand as a horror property. The band has dabbled in this genre somewhat (although not as direct as Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper, etc.). And when I mean somewhat, it was as if they were afraid to go all out with a horror themed persona as it would corner them into a stereotype (and a specialized audience means less money, after all). Some songs may have a post-apocalyptic theme and others what could be described as “darker” or “brooding”, especially from Destroyer, Psycho Circus, The Elder, Creatures of the Night, and Revenge albums. The band has been the subject of several comic book series that are dark in tone, and starred in “KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park” in the 70’s (feeble attempt to incorporate horror). So, there is a minor blueprint to develop an attraction for HHN. The whole concept of the themes for each band character may be best suited for a "Halloween-themed" attraction but the creative process would need to intensify in order to horror-ize the property.

Edited by AsylumSB
  • Like 1

As someone who contributes at least one or two posts to the KISS speculation every year (somewhat jokingly), I don't think the idea is that far-fetched. The obvious Hall of Fame, upcoming arena football team (LA KISS?), previous Monster album, et al, probably does not put them on a fast track to Halloween Horror Nights. It would have to be the long standing popularity the band has maintained over the past 40 years and the premise that you could sell the KISS brand as a horror property. The band has dabbled in this genre somewhat (although not as direct as Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper, etc.). And when I mean somewhat, it was as if they were afraid to go all out with a horror themed persona as it would corner them into a stereotype (and a specialized audience means less money, after all). Some songs may have a post-apocalyptic theme and others what could be described as “darker” or “brooding”, especially from Destroyer, Psycho Circus, The Elder, Creatures of the Night, and Revenge albums. The band has been the subject of several comic book series that are dark in tone, and starred in “KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park” in the 70’s (feeble attempt to incorporate horror). So, there is a minor blueprint to develop an attraction for HHN. The whole concept of the themes for each band character may be best suited for a "Halloween-themed" attraction but the creative process would need to intensify in order to horror-ize the property.

This is a way better explanation than anything I could come up with! KISS 3D could work and the beauty of the KISS image is that they could be superheroes OR they could be destructive monsters... I'm sure the malleability of the characters was NOT what Simmons, Stanley, Frehley, Criss, Carr and Vincent had intended but it has worked before and it could work again..

• Like 1

prod_kill-destroyers.jpg

Well there's one way it could work.

If you have to go out of your way to say which of their lesser known songs could maybe be considered dark enough to pull it off it doesn't work out. The reason Black Sabbath worked is the songs used for the maze were the band's greatest hits. Alice Cooper's mazes were based on two of his best known concept albums. If you need to leave out the songs that make the band famous, that works against their fame. I know for Black Sabbath I was stoked on seeing scenes based on my favorite Black Sabbath songs. That was their pitch, to see the most iconic songs come to life. That's the same pitch they use for the movies, come see the iconic scenes come to life. That's the major selling point of the event.

The entire point of using a property based "branded" maze would not apply. The HHN brand of using (mostly) branded mazes is in conflict with KIss' career.

"Come see Kiss 3D! You won't hear the hits, but if you're lucky you might recognize one of their filler tracks!"

Edited by ferox

It could definitely veer towards "Undertaker" cheesiness if used incorrectly. It think in order for it too work, a KISS maze may have to be a cross between Cooper and Sabbath where you could develop scenes based on songs and character themes and but use the face painting sparingly. KISS go-go's? Hee Hee.

Edited by AsylumSB
  • Like 1

Paul was a total hottie. I think the sparkly girdle shirt look is a bit over the top, but it goes well with the glam rock leather daddy vibe.

Can anybody name 6 songs that would work in a maze and justify how having them would justify not having any of their top level iconic songs?

Can anybody name 6 songs that would work in a maze and justify how having them would justify not having any of their top level iconic songs?

Have some song examples but it looks like our esteemed mod would like us to move on...will save this for another time (if and when the topic is brought back to life). Glad to see the general speculation continue...keeps year round interest in the event!

Edited by AsylumSB
  • Like 1

I have doubt Murdy will want to do two Blumhouse mazes If the Purge does hapoen to be a maze (Which I still feel confident that it will be). Although Insidious was very successful so he may want to do another Paranormal maze. The only "paranormal" Blumhouse movie I could see working is the Conjuring.

The Conjuring was one of the more effective horror films last year. Good opportunity for a maze with its selection of characters and environments. But its run has ended with only a smattering of discussion on how to keep the property alive through sequels. Not quite a classic either so I am not sure if it will be considered this year.