Halloween Horror Nights 2014 Wishful Thinking & Pre Speculation

One of the reasons this year was such a success was that there was TWD also had very strong support from Insidious. While TWD's peak wait times were the highest in HHN history, there were times where Insidious had longer waits. This was certainly due in part to the fact that to get to TWD you needed to walk all the way to the tram line, get on the tram, go through the scarezone and then get in the line as opposed to Insidious being right there. But even with that factored in, Insidious was a powerhouse IP and maze.

So...there's gotta be something this year that has the same impact as Insidious.

• Like 1

Although there's a first for everything, I don't see Insidious "taking a year off." It just doesn't really make sense, nor is it cost effective. I think I even remember Murdy saying its not all that practical of an idea. I'm assuming it has something to do with the deals struck up and/or construction. General audiences aren't going to see the link between Insidious and another Blumhouse property - making the effort to recreate that magic in the bottle a lost one. So in a sense, marketing wise, and cost wise, it might as well be Insidious again. Unfortunately, there's not much else to put in an Insidious maze. There's the one or two scenes from Insidious 2 that we wanted to see, and those would be welcomed additions, but I think we'd mostly get a 85 percent same maze, ala Saw's second year.

With that and the Walking Dead stuff in mind...

I'm willing to bet next year they both will return.

Insidious will be essentially the same, and Walking Dead will start off the same and have a new second half like La Llorona (so the woods, helicopter, Woodbury and the scenes least liked in the prison will be gone). Also to return will be the backlot experience with some new additions and hopefully more space.

Then, the rest of the event will be completely new and different.

New Terror Tram, new HoH; Evil Dead, Cucuy, and Sabbath replaced.

New show(s). New ride.

That's just my hypothesis!

• Like 1

I'd be game for that ! Insidious and TWD were the best mazes this year in my opinion so if we were to have a repeat, Insidious would be cool. And just with the 4 episodes of season 4 there's more than enough scenes to make the maze feel new. :D

Edited by shark23

It would be the first time since 2008 that two properties returned the next year and the first time that a property had three years in a row...but it's not impossible. Insidious is now downgraded to not time sensitive, and Murdy had the chance to do Evil Dead in 2012 but didn't since he thought 2013 would make more sense.

But, you never know.

Seeing what Murdy was saying in response to people wanting TWD to go, I doubt that it's going to go anywhere. Like he said it's the hottest property out right now and the only thing that might be able to beat it are halloween, F13, or NoES. He could always use one of them to make up for the loss of TWD like ferox suggested earlier. I just hope Murdy will actually try to get AHS this year. It's DEFFINATLY not as popular as TWD but it is growing. Hopefully, he'll be able to work something out with having them both at the event. If not, at what point do you stop using TWD given that it's most likely always going to be popular?

I'm cool with Inisidious or Walking Dead coming back but IDK why I just cant see them bringing both back.

BTW I talked to my friend who works at universal last night she says there are two rumors floating around the offices, the property surveys will be emailed by the end of November and supposably Bill & Ted got a lot of support from the surveys.

It should be worth mentioning that the Mummy venue and Persian square will be used for next year.

With that and the Walking Dead stuff in mind...
I'm willing to bet next year they both will return.
Insidious will be essentially the same, and Walking Dead will start off the same and have a new second half like La Llorona (so the woods, helicopter, Woodbury and the scenes least liked in the prison will be gone). Also to return will be the backlot experience with some new additions and hopefully more space.
Then, the rest of the event will be completely new and different.
New Terror Tram, new HoH; Evil Dead, Cucuy, and Sabbath replaced.
New show(s). New ride.

That's just my hypothesis!

I think we'll also get Monsters Remix and the Terror Tram the same theme as last year. Why not? They got lazy with the Terror Tram and it got high ratings. Why not do the same with HoH and TT as for new shows, I think the only thing remotely possible is Chucky's Insult Emporium or a Chucky show of some sort. Three new mazes with four other attractions that I've seen last year and even longer for a premium price does not persuade me to come to HHN. If they do bring back two or three themes, that's just disgustingly lazy.

I strongly disagree with this. I'd rather see another show and an increase in house, scarezone, and Terror Tram quality before they even think about a seventh house. All three of those are suffering, especially the later two.

Again, I'd prefer the later. We. Need. More. SHOWS. DESPERATELY. We say this every single year and this year, they do the total opposite of what we want.

• Like 1

It should be worth mentioning that the Mummy venue and Persian square will be used for next year.

I think we'll also get Monsters Remix and the Terror Tram the same theme as last year. Why not? They got lazy with the Terror Tram and it got high ratings. Why not do the same with HoH and TT as for new shows, I think the only thing remotely possible is Chucky's Insult Emporium or a Chucky show of some sort. Three new mazes with five other attractions that I've seen last year and even longer for a premium price does not persuade me to come to HHN. If they do bring back two or three themes, that's just disgustingly lazy.

How well did WD score on the surveys, anyone know?

I would'nt call it lazy just cuz they brought back a theme nothing from last years tram or walking dead were reused, the tram used the same path but it was designed 100% different and the maze was not even in the same location nor recycled anything. the only real lazy thing was HOH but what can you realy do with HOH.

The maze was second only to insidious but as a theme it did extreamly well

I strongly disagree with this. I'd rather see another show and an increase in house, scarezone, and Terror Tram quality before they even think about a seventh house. All three of those are suffering, especially the later two.

Does anyone know the estimated budget for the entire construction of a maze or a scare zone? How much money does Universal spent overall on Halloween Horror Nights annually?

Not sure. It's an industry secret so those are kept under wraps by people who want to keep their job.

With the whole timing thing, Insidious would make more sense in 2015. It would make for a better promotion of Insidious 3 if it isn't the third year running. A 7th house would probably mean a non-TWD return and Insidious makes the most sense out of the 2013 lineup. Unless it's not from the 2013 lineup.

• Like 1

Insidious is not coming next year. The year when the third film comes out, that's a different story. (That should be interesting since only Leigh Whannel is attached to the project.) Just going to throw this out there; The War of the World is going to become a thing of the past soon, so I wonder what that means for Terror Tram.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the estimated budget for the entire construction of a maze or a scare zone? How much money does Universal spent overall on Halloween Horror Nights annually?

I've heard rumors that a maze would cost around $400,000 to $500,000. I would imagine the scarezones would hardly cost anything since they reuse almost everything.

I've heard rumors about WotW's demise as well. That could mean a changed path, shorter Terror Tram, or *hopefully* a new location entirely.

• Like 1

If they moved TWD into a soundstage, we could get that "raining walkers" scene done very well ;)

actualy this is the main reason Im okay with Walking Dead coming back the Raining Walker scene is a brilliant reason for HHNH to finally incorprate the bunggee scare, also for anyone who has seen the latest episode

The bush walkers

would be a great innovant scare.

I dont think we are ever gonna see AHS

WOTW is going? I always said they should add the Lost world set to TT so maybe that is what they will do or even Amitty set.

I dont think we are ever gonna see AHS

I was speaking in a manner if it did happen. Although maybe not in Murdy's tenure.

Yup. Who knows in how long though(As the expansion plan is a course of 20 years). But the whole backlot is starting to receive it's new developments so I would say in the next 2 years or so.

Edited by Zero56
  • Like 1

I think that HHN2014 will include:

Sinister in place of Insidious

American Horror Story might be a new one

Exorcist

Resident Evil (maybe)

Texas Chainsaw (will be back)

I am really hoping they listen to what people want not just what is popular.

Regardless, I am excited for 2014!!!