Halloween Horror Nights 2014 Wishful Thinking & Pre Speculation

Eh, Orlando doing something doesn't do much for awareness unless you were already aware of it. Murdy said that AWIL's awareness was at the bottom of the heap. He would have to convince USH higher ups to spend however many hundred thousands of dollars for a movie with low awareness, after stating that El Cucuy's low ratings (by comparison to the IP and IPish mazes) were due to the by comparison low awareness. There's already an association in USH's mind between awareness and enjoyment, and for better or worse there's good reason to.

So in the end the pitch is "Yes I know that people aren't aware of this and lack of awareness = low ratings, but I think it's worth it to spend a ton of the budget for something that's going to drag down the overall guest satisfaction because hey I like this movie and it would make the few people that know what it is happy."

Edited by ferox

Eh, Orlando doing something doesn't do much for awareness unless you were already aware of it. Murdy said that AWIL's awareness was at the bottom of the heap. He would have to convince USH higher ups to spend however many hundred thousands of dollars for a movie with low awareness, after stating that El Cucuy's low ratings (by comparison to the IP and IPish mazes) were due to the by comparison low awareness. There's already an association in USH's mind between awareness and enjoyment, and for better or worse there's good reason to.

So in the end the pitch is "Yes I know that people aren't aware of this and lack of awareness = low ratings, but I think it's worth it to spend a ton of the budget for something that's going to drag down the overall guest satisfaction because hey I like this movie and it would make the few people that know what it is happy."

Yes, but It doing well in Orlando and the Twitter fans becoming aware of it puts it at a better place then a year ago.

A better place, yes. A good enough of a place? That's another question. It's made progress from the bottom of the heap, but where it is now in the heap is left to be seen. Right now it's in the "Would be cool but has a lot of difficulties to overcome" heap as AHS. There's non-timed IPs that would make much more sense and a lesser known IP that is now time sensitive (TrT, assuming the timing works) so AWIL is working against the odds. There's a lot of precedent for Murdy putting what he *wants* to do aside for what works for the event.

The one thing I ask form Murdy is that he does at least one maze based on something that's not so recent like in 2010 House of 1000 Corpses in 2012 Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Give the GP what they want but do something you'd been wanting to do something we've wanted and don't use the excuse it's not well know. For Christ's sake TWD is why more than half of the GP are there they could not care at all of the rest their going to see TWD. I bet half of the people dint care about BS or El Cucuy there were there for a reason so of bringing back TWD is what it takes to do something like Hellraiser, AWIL or Trick R Treat bring it back but do it!

• Like 1

Overall satisfaction is the end goal. The goal of curation isn't to have one big draw and then eh whatever the rest. Mazes are very, very expensive to make and require Chris and Murdy to do a lot of work, not to mention the people involved in the actual construction of the mazes. You can't throw that and one of the few venues away on something that is going to make the guest less happy with their overall experience. It's simply not realistic. AWIL isn't impossible, but there's better choices out there.

Edited by ferox

how did it work with the puppets?

The puppeteer has a control panel in which he controls the Wolf's movements back and forth. Also controls the jaw movements, head movement and strobe/audio trigger. A lot more complex than the harness puppets from the Thing. At 1:21 on Inside the Magic's walkthrough you can peek past the curtain and see one of the puppeteers.

Edited by Zero56

The one thing I ask form Murdy is that he does at least one maze based on something that's not so recent like in 2010 House of 1000 Corpses in 2012 Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Give the GP what they want but do something you'd been wanting to do something we've wanted and don't use the excuse it's not well know. For Christ's sake TWD is why more than half of the GP are there they could not care at all of the rest their going to see TWD. I bet half of the people dint care about BS or El Cucuy there were there for a reason so of bringing back TWD is what it takes to do something like Hellraiser, AWIL or Trick R Treat bring it back but do it!

To be fair, Leatherface was a last minute replacement for the Bad Wolf. (no i'm not talking about Rose Tyler[only Doctor Who fans would get that...])

• Like 2

Well Remix is like grandpa trying to make something sound cool and tell me when you walk into a maze in the HOH at HHN is it as true to the film as any of the other mazes? I think so right. Because Chucky and the Mummy were in the wolf man remake right?

I think what he attempted to say was that we need a house that is entirely decorated and themed to one classic property. Not a mixed salad like House of Horrors, so it doesn't count under those terms.

Edited by Zero56
  • Like 1