Halloween Horror Nights 2014 Wishful Thinking & Pre Speculation

Murdy said one of his moral lines is true crime where the victim has living family. That concept would be hard to pull off with that restriction.
I can respect that, although I think the tale of the pretty small town girl that moves to Hollywood to be a star and meets a grisly fate is one that is firmly embedded into our collective psyche and worth exploring. They can alter it so that it isn't directly connected to any actual victims. To some extent, horror does always take its inspiration from real life fears and anxieties. Even though we are far removed from the days of Jack the Ripper, old London is still a popular theme for haunts including HHN. A more recent example might be Gacy and the killer clown archetype. Another thing to consider: AHS season one had Elizabeth Short, season two had a character inspired by Ed Gein (who also inspired Norman Bates and Leatherface), and season three has a character inspired by Marie Laveau.

I don't think he would mind for the sake of the property. HOTC had an Ed gein figure as well as a couple other serial killers if I'm not mistaken, so I don't think that would be a problem. Also, Marie Laveau didn't really murder anyone even though she's depicted as slightly evil in the show so I don't think using her would be a problem either.

I can respect that, although I think the tale of the pretty small town girl that moves to Hollywood to be a star and meets a grisly fate is one that is firmly embedded into our collective psyche and worth exploring. They can alter it so that it isn't directly connected to any actual victims. To some extent, horror does always take its inspiration from real life fears and anxieties. Even though we are far removed from the days of Jack the Ripper, old London is still a popular theme for haunts including HHN. A more recent example might be Gacy and the killer clown archetype. Another thing to consider: AHS season one had Elizabeth Short, season two had a character inspired by Ed Gein (who also inspired Norman Bates and Leatherface), and season three has a character inspired by Marie Laveau.

thats why Murdy said "Living Family" hence he won't do a maze based on Richard Rameriz or Charles Manson, and If they inspired the character thats different.

I don't think he would mind for the sake of the property. HOTC had an Ed gein figure as well as a couple other serial killers if I'm not mistaken, so I don't think that would be a problem. Also, Marie Laveau didn't really murder anyone even though she's depicted as slightly evil in the show so I don't think using her would be a problem either.

Clip was using AHS as an example of real life horror inspiring fiction, as he wants to see in an original concept. Not discussing if AHS could work as a maze due to the true crime inspiration, there's plenty of true crime inspired fiction already at HHN and year round Universal.

I think the "girl moving to LA and there's a problem" story works for a movie, but as a maze there's not much there. Doing scenes all based on California crimes but not really actually California crimes would just seem disjointed and random. Either you're clearly doing stuff based on relatively modern crimes but just not enough to get sued (IE when cheap haunts use Jason but call him Slasher Classic Killer Man and have him wearing a black shirt and jeans) which would still cross Murdy's line or you end up far away enough from the subject matter that there's no actual theme. I do agree that all horror fiction is based on real life fears and anxieties, but that particular angle wouldn't work out.

Haunted Hayride and Great American Nightmare both had Gacy/Ramirez/Manson/Dahmer. Great American Nightmare even had a (close to) HHN quality recreation of the Tate killings. It was pretty intense to say the least. But they aren't run by Murdy or have the connection to a theme park.

• Like 1

Oh wow, did not know that. I guess what I meant is that HHN would probably never do a Manson or serial killer maze. Not just because of Murdy's beliefs but also because they are higher profile and would attract loads of bad press.

Do kind of wonder whether or not they cut the Elizabeth Short character from a possible AHS maze though. Unlike Bloodyface or Kathy Bates' character, her name wasn't changed for the show.

Yeah, it was a borrowed theme from Nightmare:Killers in New York. Some odd casting, the guy who played the Son of Sam was really good looking.

Not sure about Short. That's a tough call. Season 1 doesn't really have much to work with anyway. Even with wishful thinking I could only imagine season 2 and 3 combined.

He tweeted a while ago that they don't like to mix the properties "even if they mix them in the movies." You could see him clenching his teeth through the tweet.

This being (likely, things do change) Murdy's last year is going to make for interesting spec. CITW would certainly bring in more people than AWIL, but I know he'd rather do AWIL than CITW. He was going to do it 2012 but rights got in the way, and he passed on it in 2013...so you know that it's gonna kill him if he can't do it in 2014. Same with the unused Alice Cooper concept.

I don't know if TWD will bring in as big of a crowd as it brought in this year (longest waits in HHN history were for No Safe Haven and it had the highest rated Terror Tram of all time) so there's going to be more pressure on having a supporting cast that can really bring in the crowds as well if they want to keep up the post hiatus streak of being more successful than the previous year.

He tweeted a while ago that they don't like to mix the properties "even if they mix them in the movies." You could see him clenching his teeth through the tweet.

This being (likely, things do change) Murdy's last year is going to make for interesting spec. CITW would certainly bring in more people than AWIL, but I know he'd rather do AWIL than CITW. He was going to do it 2012 but rights got in the way, and he passed on it in 2013...so you know that it's gonna kill him if he can't do it in 2014. Same with the unused Alice Cooper concept.

I don't know if TWD will bring in as big of a crowd as it brought in this year (longest waits in HHN history were for No Safe Haven and it had the highest rated Terror Tram of all time) so there's going to be more pressure on having a supporting cast that can really bring in the crowds as well if they want to keep up the post hiatus streak of being more successful than the previous year.

what would be another Power house that we have not used? Most likely Walking Dead will still bring in the crowds but not as much as the last two years since at least in my opinion it would be a stupid move to do Terror Tam Invaded again.

what would be another Power house that we have not used? Most likely Walking Dead will still bring in the crowds but not as much as the last two years since at least in my opinion it would be a stupid move to do Terror Tam Invaded again.

With Season 4 raking in even more viewers than season 3, I would be willing to bet that it would still bring in a huge crowd, most likely even more than it did for this years event.

It seems like a stupid thing to do to us on the forums but in terms of marketing, as long as Walking dead is mentioned in the commerical or billboards, it'll draw in thousands of fans. Maybe TWD on the terror tram again is best, because that would leave an open venue for a new property, while TWD fans get what they want. (Plus, we've always said as long as the tram stays with the same route, it'll always be predicatble and not as great as it first was in 07-09) so why not keep the highest rated tram in tact with some more additions.

Edited by shark23

I know this is wishful thinking, but I don't think TWD would come back only as the TT. I think we have to accept right now that this is going to return as a maze. The only safe thing to hope for is that it might not be the main marketing icon or major theme. Essentially all we're doing with this "I wouldn't mind it to return as the TT" is building up the fanvote for its return, but the fanvote doesn't count for negative things, so us saying we don't want another maze will go by unnoticed. Demand it as a returning maze, or else we're going to get both (ha, I say this like we matter). I highly doubt AMC will be okay with just the Terror Tram. I'm hoping they let the Terror Tram go to another property and work exclusively on the backlot experience. I think that feels more like TWD and has a lot more opportunities to be great. And personally, i'd love to see what they can improve on in that zombie apocalypse scenario.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I love the walking dead and both of the mazes a lot. But The Walking Dead is like that popular kid you invite to your party to get more people to come if you don't have certain things. As long as TWD is at HHN we will probably never see Resident Evil or American Horror Story but the event will get more money and sold out nights.

Nothing game related is coming. Especially if it won't happen in Orlando and it probably won't next year( given what some people were told in the Lights on tour of the houses). The Backlot will return but in a different way, Blumhouse property will come ( no Sinister isn't 100% happening yet[it depends on the second film]) Wan might return and something special for Murdy's final year as creative director. If the Walking Dead is successful this season it will come back and you can thank Marketing for that.