HHN 22 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

For me I just can't get the whole A new age of darkness begins out of my head. So as much as I would love to see sequels to previous houses and icons be like H.R. Bloodengutz I just think from here on out each year is going to be something all new and original. At least for now anyways... :unsure:

I agree. Before last year I thought that was just a marketing ploy but they definitely brought it last year far more than I could have hoped.

On top of the major changes going on I just don't see using tired characters when they have perfectly good frachises that have been established this year and last.

However, I'm not opposed to other franchises coming back (Like the Hallow, HellGate, LITC, etc) from the past that reallly could be explored more as well. In reality, I think the Terra Queen really got the short end and would like to see that story expanded (sans the Story Teller) but I think that might be a pipe dream. Still That is more of a "If they aren't going to do new I would like to see" kind of scenario. I think new trumphs old any day.

OK so looking at the crap coming down the pipe from all the various movie companies... Fairy Tales are in... Or at least the movie industry thinks so.

You have coming up soon:

4 OZ reboots/remakes

(by Universal) as well as "Snow white and the Shao Lin" (Disney)

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

and a freaking modern day reversal on Peter Pan called... Pan... Where Pan is the bad guy and Hook is the cop...

So (especially with one of these being a gritty Snow White release FROM Universal) I'll bet fairy tales will be apart of this year.

In addition, all the duality talk made me I think of Ometeotl, God of Duality in Aztec Religion. With this year being 2012 and the whole Myan calander scam AND Universal's propensity for obscure dieties... it sort of works. But also he/she (that's right its both) is the God of souls and the after life. So I envision a male/female duo that are one in the same yet can move freely as seperate entities.

There is also Janus a two-faced God who could see past present and future and is the God of beginnings and transitions... but that doesn't fit nearly as well.

Edit: Mayan calander not Aztec >.<... Hey they are both circular and neither has anything to do with the end of the world. The mayans don't have such an obvious God.

OK so looking at the crap coming down the pipe from all the various movie companies... Fairy Tales are in... Or at least the movie industry thinks so.

You have coming up soon:

4 OZ reboots/remakes

(by Universal) as well as "Snow white and the Shao Lin" (Disney)

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

and a freaking modern day reversal on Peter Pan called... Pan... Where Pan is the bad guy and Hook is the cop...

So (especially with one of these being a gritty Snow White release FROM Universal) I'll bet fairy tales will be apart of this year.

Scary Tales 4? no complaint:P

maybe not more than one fairy tale in a house like ST, but maybe just Snow White since they are making that movie if anything.

I remember reading somewhere that J.K. Rowling doesn't want HHN in the WWoHP, so if they do two parks, they would have to have sections cut off like in '04. I would love to see HHN in both parks, but unless they go with one person controlling each park, it don't think it'll work. Twins has been done before, but so has a lot of things related to horror attractions, so it would be interesting to see what Universal does with twins if they decide to take that route. I would love to see a New Orleans-style voodoo witch doctor. Maybe ha can conjure up some zombies to control Universal? (Yes, i know Howl-O-Scream did something similar, but if we're talking copying, that a whole different subject.)

I totally agree with going with a voodoo theme. I was actually writing a backstory using voodoo.

Sheesh why is Dead Exposure getting such a bad rap? It was a creative and cool house.

I'm tired of classic monsters at least in the "as is" sense. I don't mind them reimagined but even the old ideas are getting a little tiresome. I'm still looking for an effective CFTBL reimaging. But I would't want to see Dracula, Frankenstien, and wolfman again anytime soon becuase they were just used. The Phantom, The Blob, Night of the Creeps, Willy Wonka, and CFTBL I wouldn't mind seeing redone. I know there not ALL Universal monsters, I just think the big three are tired.

But I'm loving the new content and as long as they keep it fresh I guess it really doesn't matter but I doubt it would be my favorite house.

I wouldn't be too down on the classic monsters. I wasn't too excited about them when they announced the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman houses a few years back but they turned out to be some of my favourite houses and overall I think they were pretty well received by the fans. Now I'm not saying they will or should give each classic monster their own house as that would be too much. But one house with scenes from many of the different iconic creatures would be pretty good I think. They got plenty to choose from. Add in the scenes being introduced by H R Bloodbgutz with his wit, charm and insanity and I think you are on to an absolute winner. It kills two birds with one stone, first it adds to the celebration of 100 years of Universal and second it pleases a lot of fans with the return of Bloodngutz. Maybe this time he's transmitting from a hidden location on cable access lol. Wonder who he's torturing this time lol?

IF they are still sticking with doing the three year story arc I could definately see this year being another generalized theme icon. Given that the previous two years we've seen Fear and Luck/Fate I think that this year would follow suit. Personally I think something to do with either Karma or Revenge could give interesting possibilities.

I wouldn't be too down on the classic monsters. I wasn't too excited about them when they announced the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman houses a few years back but they turned out to be some of my favourite houses and overall I think they were pretty well received by the fans. Now I'm not saying they will or should give each classic monster their own house as that would be too much. But one house with scenes from many of the different iconic creatures would be pretty good I think. They got plenty to choose from. Add in the scenes being introduced by H R Bloodbgutz with his wit, charm and insanity and I think you are on to an absolute winner. It kills two birds with one stone, first it adds to the celebration of 100 years of Universal and second it pleases a lot of fans with the return of Bloodngutz. Maybe this time he's transmitting from a hidden location on cable access lol. Wonder who he's torturing this time lol?

Fair enough BUT I have seen the classic monsters get there own house or a montage house 9 times. And that is only including classic in the strictest sense. I personally would add 8 or 9 more houses to the list that were a montague of "classic" monsters or characters that had there own house that I would consider "classic" but that are not Universal monsters. (i.e. Chucky, Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, etc). The mummy based houses are on the cusp of classic so I left them out as they are technically about a classic monster but based on the movie series. But there were two of those as well.

But even then you have:

'95 - Universal's House of Horrors

'96 - Universal's New House of Horrors

'97 - Universal's Museum of Horrors

'98 - Museum of Horrors: Chamber of Horrors

'00 - Universal Classic monster Mania

'04 - Horror in Wax

'09 - Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolfman

I guess you could argue that most of these were the pre-iconic era but 5 of them are not and three of those were just three years ago. It just feels like nearly every other year is either a throwback, montague, or a throwback-montague.

I know the classic monsters are the heritage of Universal horror. But they just aren't scary anymore. Sure you can reimage them and they have proven this can be good... but you can only spin them so many ways and still hold to the classic idea of them. So why not the lesser classics like the creature, the hunchback, the phantom, etc? I have no problem seeing those reimaged to something awesome and not reduced to just a cameo.

Being the 100th year... OK sure its a celebration. So was Sweet 16 and XX. I'm sure you could argue that every character could be brought back on a 5, 10, 20, 25 year rotation of their origianl apprearance date... Therby making every year a celebration of something. My biggest qualm is there is so much untapped potential from all the other classic literature out there I just hate to see it go back to the well-explored Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolfman.

am i the only one that thinks the end of the world type of event is too cliche? Like i want something like demons and killers, rather than the world ending. Like maybe one house called "2012" but it would need a bigger concept. Like the ground shaking and walls closing in. I think it would be too long and in all fairness boring . I want a monster, something that will give kids and adults nightmares. Lady luck didnt give that great "feel" of danger. Also with the nightingales... i personally didnt like the way they brought back saws and steam, so i dont like re-run houses. I say they do something original. Or 2 things original! I love the idea of 2 parks, but how would they do it? It would be SO cool to have the two parks like no connecting and have them one night for each. You can get a double park, but it would be more. It would space out the visitors, and get them more money. I know people wouldn't be happy with spending more, but you do get more houses. The only problem is where they going to find all those workers? Also i honestly want a new show. Some show to help the originality and back round of the theme. I love bill and ted but if they can have other shows, id rather them do 2 with the plot and back round :3

I like this idea. Especially the Bloodengutz introductions but I'm sorry I have to agree with JW I think it's too early to go back to Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman. Now if they did something minus those 3 characters I'd be all for it. Maybe they could somehow combine those three and do some sort of all black and white room for all of them and really play up the original versions of these characters. That's just my thought on how it could be done. Although being the 100th year it would be a travesty not to have some mention of the classic's. I'd love to see some of the lesser known Universal monsters. Someone/thing like The Creature or The Metaluna Mutant. I know I'm going very far back and I also know that the GP doesn't know who these characters are. To me that's the perfect opportunity to introduce some younger people to some older characters. Just my 2 cents, not that anyone cares.

I like this idea. Especially the Bloodengutz introductions but I'm sorry I have to agree with JW I think it's too early to go back to Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman. Now if they did something minus those 3 characters I'd be all for it. Maybe they could somehow combine those three and do some sort of all black and white room for all of them and really play up the original versions of these characters. That's just my thought on how it could be done. Although being the 100th year it would be a travesty not to have some mention of the classic's. I'd love to see some of the lesser known Universal monsters. Someone/thing like The Creature or The Metaluna Mutant. I know I'm going very far back and I also know that the GP doesn't know who these characters are. To me that's the perfect opportunity to introduce some younger people to some older characters. Just my 2 cents, not that anyone cares.

Hey Aaron you're opinion is as important as anyone elses as is J.W.'s. Just let me clarify a couple of things. When I say classic monsters I'm not just referring to Dracula, Frankenstein and the Wolfman although they are quite probably the most famous. I'm talking of the entire legacy Universal was built on like Phantom of the Opera, Creature From The Black Lagoon, Hunchback of Notre Dame, the Mummy etc etc. That's seven rooms of a house right there. I'm talking about celebrating the work of such people as Lon Chaney, Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi (shame on you Aaron for thinking I didn't know about the lesser talked about classics, the first round of drinks this year is on you for that comment lol) and not just concentrating on the big three (although you have to include them).

I might be way off base with this idea but I can't help but feel that the 100 year celebration will touch Horror Nights in some way. As long as I have a good time with my great friends I don't really mind what they do lol.

What about the worlds biggest haunted house with each room in a certain year of horror to celebrate Universal Studios 100th anniversary with horror films from 1912 to 2012 call 100 years of fears?

Perhaps, but although this year marks the 100th Anniversary of Universal Studios it does NOT mark the 100th Anniversary of Universal Horror. The first horror film released by Universal was the 1913 silent version of Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde. Thus the 100th Anniversary of Universal Horror would be in 2013 and that would be a better time to have a commemoration of "100 years of Fear".

I feel compelled to point this out as I am the Sheldon Cooper of Halloween Horror nights fandom.

Hey Aaron you're opinion is as important as anyone elses as is J.W.'s. Just let me clarify a couple of things. When I say classic monsters I'm not just referring to Dracula, Frankenstein and the Wolfman although they are quite probably the most famous. I'm talking of the entire legacy Universal was built on like Phantom of the Opera, Creature From The Black Lagoon, Hunchback of Notre Dame, the Mummy etc etc. That's seven rooms of a house right there. I'm talking about celebrating the work of such people as Lon Chaney, Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi (shame on you Aaron for thinking I didn't know about the lesser talked about classics, the first round of drinks this year is on you for that comment lol) and not just concentrating on the big three (although you have to include them).

I might be way off base with this idea but I can't help but feel that the 100 year celebration will touch Horror Nights in some way. As long as I have a good time with my great friends I don't really mind what they do lol.

Jason, I don't consider you a member of the general public. I think we're on the same page with the characters we want to see. I'll buy first round, you know I have no problem with that. Although according to the good Dr's post we may have to wait a year to see it. Unless they just have one big celebration for the 100th year and side step the fact that it's Universal horror's 99th year.

Jason, I don't consider you a member of the general public. I think we're on the same page with the characters we want to see. I'll buy first round, you know I have no problem with that. Although according to the good Dr's post we may have to wait a year to see it. Unless they just have one big celebration for the 100th year and side step the fact that it's Universal horror's 99th year.

Ha ha I thought GP was short for Grimp0nd not general public. You are forgiven, although that first round is still on you lol.

I don't seriously see them celebrating 100 years of general Universal this year and 100 years of Universal horror next year do you? Makes more sense it being just one year long celebration with events throughout this year with horror nights focusing on the horror legacy. This is just conjecture of course and only time will tell. If they are bringing back Bloodngutz he's going to have to present some theme though lol.

Seeing the success of Saws and Steam, I would love for next year to have some more of that apocalyptic idea. I remember the spokesperson speaking right at the beginning of the house and couldn't help but think what a wonderful icon a Ringman/host for a dis-utopian society would be. I could just see him in dark purple with a top hat and a cane, just luring us in for our deaths. Saws and Steam could take the next step and become a theme, with this man as their icon. Does anyone else remember this from last years event: the voice in the beginning of the house?

Waiting until next year to do a "100 Years of Fear," while technically accurate and sounding nice, would be a huge lost opportunity for marketing the event. All eyes are on Universal this year, so to speak. Including it as a part of the overall celebration makes much more sense, and they can better tap into the momentum that the centennial is generating.

Waiting until next year to do a "100 Years of Fear," while technically accurate and sounding nice, would be a huge lost opportunity for marketing the event. All eyes are on Universal this year, so to speak. Including it as a part of the overall celebration makes much more sense, and they can better tap into the momentum that the centennial is generating.

I totally agree. I feel doing a 100 years of fear next year would take too much explaining to the general public and confuse them right after 100 years of Universal celebration this year.

Last year, just before the Horror Nights started one of the A&D guys on a question and answer panel stated that this year would be his favourite Horror Nights ever. I found that odd at the time seeing as they were promoting last years event. I can't help but feel that the 100 years celebration has something to do with that. I think they are going to pull out all the stops this year and better implement the new technology they practiced with last year. It's going to be a good year to be a Halloween Horror Nights fan.

I'd like to see some merchandise centred around the classic monsters this year too, maybe shirts.

For people talking about more movie themes, this is Orlando not Hollywood. Yes this is wishful thinking but to my understanding, Orlando will not be featuring movie based houses or themes for a long time. We were lucky with the thing but that's only because of the 2011 release of the new movie in October. Take it to the hollywood forum.

Edited by JeffreyChangaHHN