HHN Hollywood 2012 Speculation

Insidious has some great moments but the very final minute of the movie made me go "LAME!!!"

Some good spooky atmo and a few noteworthy moments but I wouldn't say it was the best horror film of the year... or wait, I need to think of what came out in horror last year... damn, it probably was lol

As for AHS, it's AMAZING. Took me about 3 or 4 episodes to be a full fan but from episode 1, I was definitely intrigued by it's weirdness. And don't worry about it's associations to Glee, it doesn't have even a pint of resemblance to it in anyway (I'm a big brother who has to suffer listening to it day in and day out). And it definitely has a lot of qualities that could make a good maze, which I didn't think I'd be saying when I first started watching the show but at this point, I'd be beyond excited to go through it and see what they could do to bring that nightmarish, insane, trippy and quickly paced tone to life.

See, here's the thing I'm concerned about: While I'm sure AHS and Insidious has some very solid haunted house potential, I can't help but think of the other two films like Exorcist (If we ever get it) and TCM also possible. If we have those four, and that's assuming that we're getting five houses excluding HoH, they probably wouldn't create that much diversity in the variety of the line-up. That would only give us one original house to work with, which would be a big step backwards considering we've had two originals last year. On top of that, much of the precious budget will be wasted on licensing fees and we'll be stuck with more cheap rehashes of scarezones and the Terror Tram. Whatever they do, I hope they maintain a balance.

I remember him saying that too. Since it's highly unlikely it would be the Exorcist...

Pie-in-the-sky speculation here, but what if he's researching Dante's for not just an original house, but also a main theme? Could we finally our icon that we wanted since 2007? With Transformers possibly increasing the budget, that wouldbe very nice.

once again A.) Murdy made it very clear that the movies are always gonna be the icon at HHN while he's in charge and I imagine The movie studios wouldnt lend rights to not be the spotlight of the event and B.) like I said before its unlikely something spacificly related to Religion such as Dante's Inferno or a overall hell theme although is possible as a maze or SZ is not gonna be the theme of the entire event as it does clash with peoples beliefes because unlike WTH which wasnt Advertise outside the park and website slap stuff about the christian Hell and Mythology on billbords cups and such you'll get the hate.

Thanks haha I'm looking forward to another year of speculation. I hope this year is a great one.

It was on the survey and Murdy said that if she was willing to that they would be open to it. But I don't think that she will be and it seems more like very early testing to see if people would even be interested. But speaking of possibilities, there are tons of people on twitter begging Murdy to make an American Horror Story maze. Now I haven't seen the show, but it's from Ryan Murphy, creator of glee. Not sure I would want this to be our first television property. I'm going to check it out on DVD though and maybe I will change my opinion.

Honestly I couldnt get into American horror story it seemed realy slow and probably would of done better as a movie, and I thought it bombed, as for Lady Gaga Im sure it wouldnt be maze based on her but I could imagine and would probably enjoy a maze that she would design since she is all about the theatrical aspects of things and Im sure it seems like something she would do but the money! I think it would depend on how much she would want

Insidious has some great moments but the very final minute of the movie made me go "LAME!!!"

Some good spooky atmo and a few noteworthy moments but I wouldn't say it was the best horror film of the year... or wait, I need to think of what came out in horror last year... damn, it probably was lol

I agree with DTH idk why people think cuz Paranormal activity was good with a sucky end that all ghost movies must be good till the end *cough cough* the Devil inside! but I realy dont think it maze worthy though I been proven wrong before

I should clarify my thoughts on Insidious. While it wasn't the best ending, the first half is genuinely frightening, there is some surreal stuff near the end that could be AWESOME if done in a maze, and there is a variety of characters that could be in the maze. I feel like the creepiness of the movie falls apart once the demon is revealed, but its still alot of fun after that point. While I would rather see The Exorcist or Trick r' Treat, I still consider Insidious to be high on my list of films I would like to see done.

Though original mazes are always the best. Don't know if I posted it here, but I visited Orlando HHN in 2010 and 2011. 2010 was awesome, but this year I was BLOWN AWAY by their originality and high quality of every maze. I honestly had no major complaints about any of them. All were unique and had awesome special effects. If Hollywood could take a note from Orlando's 2011 mazes we would be off in the right direction.

Thats not to say our mazes last year weren't great, its just that originality is usually better. Luckily, becuse La llorona was so well received, we will probably see at least 2 original mazes this year.

once again A.) Murdy made it very clear that the movies are always gonna be the icon at HHN while he's in charge and I imagine The movie studios wouldnt lend rights to not be the spotlight of the event and B.) like I said before its unlikely something spacificly related to Religion such as Dante's Inferno or a overall hell theme although is possible as a maze or SZ is not gonna be the theme of the entire event as it does clash with peoples beliefes because unlike WTH which wasnt Advertise outside the park and website slap stuff about the christian Hell and Mythology on billbords cups and such you'll get the hate.

I don't think the overall theme or main icon will have anything specifically to do with any sort of religious figure from Dante's Inferno, but if what I'm thinking comes to fruition, they may have an icon and theme inspired by the piece of literature. For example, they may not have the preacher or the devil himself be the icon as it could, like you said, clash with others' beliefs and cause controversy, but they could make up someone like Terra Queen as an icon unleashing the apocalypse upon humanity while everyone must go through the five levels of torment (Which could be the scarezones). Even though that sort of scenario at the event may not happen, I think you see my point.

As for every single event having to have a movie icon, can we really assume that anymore? Murdy has pretty much threw the rules by the wayside. Hostel and Wolfman were cold-iron properties and the Thing was yet to be released. Don't even get me started on the two original houses with one of them being based on an old rocker. The only time Murdy even utilized his rules was with Scream...which was represented VERY poorly; heck, it was so half-hearted, I will never know how they manged to get the rights in the first place. My point is, to quote Patrick Dempsey from Scream 3, "All bets are off".

I am especially lead to believe that this year's event is going to be our "New age of darkness" since Murdy has opened the gates of speculation by starting off with Dante's Inferno. Remember in previous years he would always start it off by giving us names of a handful of movies he wanted to do? In fact, let me quote John on this:

Doing a little research over the holidays. What does a 700 year old epic poem have to do with HHN?

It sounds to me like he's implying the event as a whole and not just something specifically in it like a house or scarezone. Even though I could be over-thinking that quote, I have a strong feeling there will be quite a bit of change this year for Halloween Horror Nights.

On a side note, I am trying to read the book right now and see if I can speculate where Murdy's going with this.

Though original mazes are always the best. Don't know if I posted it here, but I visited Orlando HHN in 2010 and 2011. 2010 was awesome, but this year I was BLOWN AWAY by their originality and high quality of every maze. I honestly had no major complaints about any of them. All were unique and had awesome special effects. If Hollywood could take a note from Orlando's 2011 mazes we would be off in the right direction.

I wish I could've gone to HHN 2011. Maybe this year if I can. With that aside, I definately agree! HHN XX was AMAZING. After hearing what Murdy is researching for the event, I can't help but wonder if we'll have a haunted house along the same lines of Hades. If we do...:NOJFjndsfndbznhhfiggfsdggfgfsghsphp!!!!! :D :D

Thats not to say our mazes last year weren't great, its just that originality is usually better. Luckily, becuse La llorona was so well received, we will probably see at least 2 original mazes this year.

This right here! La Llorona and Alice cooper being the top two most popular houses put a huge smile on my face. That makes me realize that people actually like original content. I'd be very surprised if there weren't at least two original houses since they were received so well.

Again, I just kinda gotta throw it out there, haha but Alice Cooper's "success" might've been location based.

If we don't even get one original maze, I wouldn't care too much. Admittedly, I go to HHN for the movie mazes. The scares are great and it's fun either way but the appeal is walking into a movie, for me.

Try not to scold me too hard :)

I don't think the overall theme or main icon will have anything specifically to do with any sort of religious figure from Dante's Inferno, but if what I'm thinking comes to fruition, they may have an icon and theme inspired by the piece of literature. For example, they may not have the preacher or the devil himself be the icon as it could, like you said, clash with others' beliefs and cause controversy, but they could make up someone like Terra Queen as an icon unleashing the apocalypse upon humanity while everyone must go through the five levels of torment (Which could be the scarezones). Even though that sort of scenario at the event may not happen, I think you see my point.

As for every single event having to have a movie icon, can we really assume that anymore? Murdy has pretty much threw the rules by the wayside. Hostel and Wolfman were cold-iron properties and the Thing was yet to be released. Don't even get me started on the two original houses with one of them being based on an old rocker. The only time Murdy even utilized his rules was with Scream...which was represented VERY poorly; heck, it was so half-hearted, I will never know how they manged to get the rights in the first place. My point is, to quote Patrick Dempsey from Scream 3, "All bets are off".

I am especially lead to believe that this year's event is going to be our "New age of darkness" since Murdy has opened the gates of speculation by starting off with Dante's Inferno.

This right here! La Llorona and Alice cooper being the top two most popular houses put a huge smile on my face. That makes me realize that people actually like original content. I'd be very surprised if there weren't at least two original houses since they were received so well.

honestly its WAY too early to be taking what Murdy says too literal and to a point., and if this year did proove anything is that we dropped the MAIN icon idea and if anything the more original Mazes we have the more that the Icon is gonna be a movie Icon because once again movie studios want their property spoiled which is probably realistcly why we droped having a main icon, look even thought two houses werent movie based dont mean we cutting back on franchise mazes look technicaly we only got one original maze in '11 since we might as well count Alice cooper as a movie/Celeberty, look all Im saying is 1.) there tons of movies and video games that drew insperation from Dante's Inferno and 2.) just dont get you hopes up this early

What if there will be a new show this year based on Lady Gaga? Possible? Thinking out loud here

Eh.....I doubt it. Since Trey Parker was on the survey, I would like to see him write a show.

I realy cant see Trey Parker doing anything that Bill and Ted hasnt done, Im thinking the Lady gaga thing is more possible then that

^ That would make sense, if they're trying to build it as big as Orlando's. I imagine the entire right side of the park from Waterworld to the Curious George area will be replaced. Heck, they probably wouldn't even have to touch the Gibson if that's the case.

Too bad though, I was just becoming a fan of the Shrek venue finally after the NOES repeat and Llorona.

Edited by DTH316

^ That would make sense, if they're trying to build it as big as Orlando's. I imagine the entire right side of the park from Waterworld to the Curious George area will be replaced. Heck, they probably wouldn't even have to touch the Gibson if that's the case.

Too bad though, I was just becoming a fan of the Shrek venue finally after the NOES repeat and Llorona.

Not to stray off into the whole Potter topic, but I'm 95% certain that WaterWorld will be safe. Gibson will be bulldozed.

Going back to speculation, since I'm sure Rob zombie will be involved in this year's event in some way, I wonder if he'll do that original haunted house that was supposed to come last year? Either that or Lords of Salem? Maybe he'll do both? :rolleyes:

DTH I totally agree. I love original mazes but I go to Hollywood for the movie based mazes as well. I do want to see original content this year tho as I thought AC and la llorona were amazing. I like the idea of half and half.

Half and half is a great way to go. That's got my vote!

And I'd be sad to see the Shrek venue go for HHN but I won't miss the Shrek attraction AT ALL. God that thing sucks...

Boy the forums have been dead lately. Good thing we've finally been thrown a small bone in our speculation.

Quick HHN 2012 Update: Have done lots of meetings for possible maze themes the last month...trying to land a big fish today. Wish me luck!

Hope that fish doesn't become possessed for any reason... :rolleyes:

Since this will probably be John Murdy's last year before he works on Harry Potter, does anyone want to bet that his scarezone will finally come to fruition after two years? It'd be nice to see the scarecrows.

I thought Murdy works for Entertainment not Creative. Creative handles rides/lands, Entertainment handles shows and live entertainment. So wouldn't that mean he wouldn't work on Potter.

I thought Murdy works for Entertainment not Creative. Creative handles rides/lands, Entertainment handles shows and live entertainment. So wouldn't that mean he wouldn't work on Potter.

Well, he said that he's not going to be working Potter, I don't know what he'll be doing if this is his last year so it's not really official (Remember when Murdy said that his time with HHN was in "single digits?").

Remember that original concept haunted house that was rumored to be axed for the return of HoTC? I wonder if Rob will want to do it this year. I could also smell something Evil coming our way as well.

Well if it's single digits, that could be up to 2014, which gives him 3 years left including this year. I also don't remember if he said he picked the number on how many times he wants to do it when he started or if he said he only had that amount of years left. Either way, I don't think this will be his last year. Or maybe it is... I imagine 2011 was his defining year for doing this in the first place, plus with ideas run dry with Terror Tram, there might not be much left in it for him anymore...

Bought the Thing on blu-ray today. I think someone on here was asking if they show any of the maze? The answer is no. I believe some of the interview segments are filmed in the maze but you wouldn't be able to tell as it's out of focus and the talker is taking up most of the screen and they're not in front of any recognizable set pieces. However, total flashback hearing the music from the maze on the disc and then seeing the sculptures, animatronics and puppeteering the maze was based off of -- practically made it worth it to buy it for 20 bucks. Anyway, to keep on topic, I sincerely hope Universal picks another maze of such magnitude this year. Whether you loved it or hated it, you have to admit The Thing had impressive set design (when it wasn't blank walls) and impressive creatures. The music also put me right into the scenes of the movie. The one thing that comes to mind, ofcourse, is Alien. Running out of a maze while Mother is doing the count down to self destruct would bring shivers down my spine.