HHN Hollywood 2012 Speculation

People, it has begun. 2011 is drawing to a close and John Murdy has already started to stir the pot of speculation. Here's the first clue for us for HHN 2012 from John's Twitter feed:

Doing a little research over the holidays. What does a 700 year old epic poem have to do with HHN?

vt3dd.jpg

More from the Twitter:

@robbyshuttles Not literally, using it for inspiration...I've got a wacky idea...the imagery in Inferno is creepy as...well...Hell

I'm really liking what I'm hearing and seeing. :) Not only could this be the potential for something really amazing and original, but could this mean we could finally have an original theme and icon for the event?

^Who knows maybe the Preacher from 2009's event Welcome to Hell will be the icon. That would be a good theme and the slogan could be Halloween Horror Nights 2012: Welcome to Hell, themed around the apocalypse and the end of the world in 2012 according to the Mayan calendar.

I've got LOTS of things to throw into the speculation mix. What I do know is that big change is afoot for HHN. If what I'm hearing is true, we could be looking at the biggest and most exciting year for HHN Hollywood...ever.

Transformers is going to change this event in more ways than one. The lower lot venue where Hostel and Saw were will not be used since that venue will be used for overflow for Transformers throughout the Summer. Heck, the ride may be so popular, I would be very surprised if they had it open during HHN; that's especially considering if they do what I heard they may do to make up for the loss of the Mummy venue...

If Transformers is successful enough (I guess when since this will be the biggest ride at USH since JP), I heard that the budget will provide a large increase for HHN. So much so to the point where USH may finally be able to rent out a sound stage for the event. If they do that, we will be on Orlando's level in no time.

With the new SS rumor, they would have plenty of space. Could this also mean that they will have two houses in there equaling seven haunted houses? Possibly a second show? While all of those are nice, I would like for them to focus on improving the scarezones and the Terror Tram first--the latter especially. If cost will not be much of an issue to where they can add quantity while improve that, I say go for it. I didn't forget HoH, just read my suggestion for in in the Wishful thinking thread. I'm too lazy to post that now. :P

Also, with the JP extended venue has caused quite a lot of traffic down there with where the overflow was this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if the sixth house and Terror Tram loading swapped places. It would make sense if they did that considering how the tram is such a big people eater and that there will be more room for queue.

Speaking of the Terror Tram, I'm hearing very strong rumors that it will be moved to the Jaws/Six Points Texas area. They actually tried to do that with Scream 4 Your Life this year, but were not successful due to another production moving in there at the last minute. They should get it this year.

Now let me discuss the houses. I predict there will be a descent amount of original content. Hopefully it will be half and half, but judging by Murdy's tweet, it will be given that there will be some. I'm also going to throw in Rob Zombie doing Lords of Salem next year since he really wants to do it and Eli Roth doing a house next year. I'm very sure Eli will want to do one since he's such a big fan of the event. I don't think we'll see Hostel return since the Mummy venue will not be used.

With Halloween and TCM both having sequels next Fall, could we see them both or one of them return? I'm hearing a lot of words saying that one house will return next year and that is Alice Cooper. Yes, you and most of you loathe repeats, but remember Murdy's tweet when the event ended on how he had some concepts planned for AC? I think we could be looking at a sequel house. The same theme, but a new layout, which I wouldn't mind having.

Whew! That's a lot I've been wanting to throw in for quite some time now. I'm glad we can finally speculate away now.

^Who knows maybe the Preacher from 2009's event Welcome to Hell will be the icon. That would be a good theme and the slogan could be Halloween Horror Nights 2012: Welcome to Hell, themed around the apocalypse and the end of the world in 2012 according to the Mayan calendar.

Awesome idea. I've been thinking that ever since they did it. Why they never repeated such an epic scarezone, when they repeat stuff like Klownz and Freakz, is beyond me.

With Halloween and TCM both having sequels next Fall, could we see them both or one of them return? I'm hearing a lot of words saying that one house will return next year and that is Alice Cooper. Yes, you and most of you loathe repeats, but remember Murdy's tweet when the event ended on how he had some concepts planned for AC? I think we could be looking at a sequel house. The same theme, but a new layout, which I wouldn't mind having.

I just hope it's way better than AC '11. I honestly wasn't too impressed with it. It was the third best maze out of the six but I was very disappointed with Hostel, Wolfman and HOTC's returns as it was. The only two that I'll truly remember from '11 are La Llorona and The Thing. Because of that, '11 is my second least favorite year of HHN so far. I've cozied up to Alice Cooper at HHN now. The dreadful Brutal Planet has been erased from my memory now. I just want them to bring it much harder and work on it being much scarier with a coherent story and take the focus off the gore and the humor.

I've got LOTS of things to throw into the speculation mix. What I do know is that big change is afoot for HHN. If what I'm hearing is true, we could be looking at the biggest and most exciting year for HHN Hollywood...ever.

Transformers is going to change this event in more ways than one. The lower lot venue where Hostel and Saw were will not be used since that venue will be used for overflow for Transformers throughout the Summer. Heck, the ride may be so popular, I would be very surprised if they had it open during HHN; that's especially considering if they do what I heard they may do to make up for the loss of the Mummy venue...

If Transformers is successful enough (I guess when since this will be the biggest ride at USH since JP), I heard that the budget will provide a large increase for HHN. So much so to the point where USH may finally be able to rent out a sound stage for the event. If they do that, we will be on Orlando's level in no time.

With the new SS rumor, they would have plenty of space. Could this also mean that they will have two houses in there equaling seven haunted houses? Possibly a second show? While all of those are nice, I would like for them to focus on improving the scarezones and the Terror Tram first--the latter especially. If cost will not be much of an issue to where they can add quantity while improve that, I say go for it. I didn't forget HoH, just read my suggestion for in in the Wishful thinking thread. I'm too lazy to post that now. :P

Also, with the JP extended venue has caused quite a lot of traffic down there with where the overflow was this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if the sixth house and Terror Tram loading swapped places. It would make sense if they did that considering how the tram is such a big people eater and that there will be more room for queue.

Speaking of the Terror Tram, I'm hearing very strong rumors that it will be moved to the Jaws/Six Points Texas area. They actually tried to do that with Scream 4 Your Life this year, but were not successful due to another production moving in there at the last minute. They should get it this year.

Now let me discuss the houses. I predict there will be a descent amount of original content. Hopefully it will be half and half, but judging by Murdy's tweet, it will be given that there will be some. I'm also going to throw in Rob Zombie doing Lords of Salem next year since he really wants to do it and Eli Roth doing a house next year. I'm very sure Eli will want to do one since he's such a big fan of the event. I don't think we'll see Hostel return since the Mummy venue will not be used.

Whew! That's a lot I've been wanting to throw in for quite some time now. I'm glad we can finally speculate away now.

It would be amazing if Horror Nights Hollywood would be able to rent a SS. SS 37 hasn't been used since like 07' and the size is comparable to the ones in Orlando that house two mazes. Hopefully that will happen, it would be incredible if they put as much detail into the SS houses here as they do in Orlando.

About the JP queue house being used for Terror Tram, are you saying that they relocate a house to the Tram Garage area like they did in the 90's. That would be an interesting concept too.

I honestly hope they do use the theme of the Preacher as the event Icon next year, we need an original Icon and a theme to hold the park together. Which I also hope means more original mazes.

If Eli Roth does a maze, I would imagine it would be an Original maze, which also would be a "killer" (pun-intended) maze.

Let's hope the Horror Nights team here really invests in creating a theme this year with well tied-in houses, Scare-Zones and Terror Tram.

With the new SS rumor, they would have plenty of space. Could this also mean that they will have two houses in there equaling seven haunted houses?

Hey if they were to a do a Welcome to Hell themed event with the seven mazes, they could do a Seven Deadly Sins themed event! But that's more of wishful thinking... just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

Edited by iLuvStabWounds

It would be amazing if Horror Nights Hollywood would be able to rent a SS. SS 37 hasn't been used since like 07' and the size is comparable to the ones in Orlando that house two mazes. Hopefully that will happen, it would be incredible if they put as much detail into the SS houses here as they do in Orlando.

SS 37 actually hasn't been used since 2000--right before HHN went on hiatus. They never did use the stages during the current years. If we do get the stages that will be a HUGE game changer for the event.

About the JP queue house being used for Terror Tram, are you saying that they relocate a house to the Tram Garage area like they did in the 90's. That would be an interesting concept too.

Yes, I'm saying that it looks like they'll relocate it to the tram plaza. It won't be inside the garage since they'll need to use it for repairing/refreshing the trams, but will be in a tent just like JP. If all of this is true, they will be reverting back to the same venues as they had in the late 90's--minus the castle theater and plus the T2, Wild West, Shrek, and possibly the HoH venues.

If Eli Roth does a maze, I would imagine it would be an Original maze, which also would be a "killer" (pun-intended) maze.

...or Cabin Fever (Which I really hope it's not. Do an original, please.)

Personally,i would love it! But it might be to controversial

I don't know. they did that in Orlando (As a scarezone) and I don't recall hearing any backlash over there. We did welcome to hell and there wasn't much controversy either.

You know....demons, hell,satan, all that stuff. I guess if movies can do it without backlash,they can do it too

Like Freak and Hauntfan said about the WtH and the 7 scarezone, there was no controversy whatsoever. But if people were to complain about anything at all concerning the 7 Deadly Sins, maybe just maybe, they might say something about the sin of Lust. Otherwise, I see no reason to cause backlash.

^Exactly. Plus it's an adult themed event, Bill and Ted can be very controversial but nobody blinks an eye because of the Adult nature of the show. Hostel had people being tortured for sport which is a controversial subject but they got away with it because of the Halloween nature. I think Hell would be even less so.

Ya guys do know they've done the seven deadly sins already, right? haha... those were probably my favorite go-gos :)

As for Alien, Murdy DID mention that he thinks they can do it now since they pulled off the Thing. I'd look for the tweet but it was just right after the event ended. Also, with Prometheus (the prequel to Alien) hitting theaters next year, it would seem very logical to do it while people are interested in Alien...

Ya guys do know they've done the seven deadly sins already, right?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I knew about Welcome to Hell, but how could I forget that the 7 Deadly Sins aspect of it?

As for Alien, Murdy DID mention that he thinks they can do it now since they pulled off the Thing. I'd look for the tweet but it was just right after the event ended. Also, with Prometheus (the prequel to Alien) hitting theaters next year, it would seem very logical to do it while people are interested in Alien...

Eh, I'd rather they do a completely original alien-themed house than to just acquire the rights to it. Besides, wouldn't Disney get up and arms for having Lucas be involved with the event? I mean, Universal is their big competitor.

Speaking of Lucas and aliens, if Disney isn't going to bring back alien Encounter, they should just bring it to Universal. ;)

Alien would be way different than The Thing:

Alien takes place in a spaceship, The Thing in a bunker in Antarctica.

Alien takes place in the future, The Thing in the past

Alien has only 3 recognizable forms, only 1 which could either be puppeteered or worn as a costume, The Thing had at least a dozen.

Alien has a more quiet, reserved and slowly paced atmosphere (until the self destruct ending) while The Thing was constant action.

Alien focused more on the scary and creep factor while The Thing was more of a gore, creature-feature.

And as far as I know, I don't think Disney necessarily OWNS the Alien theme park rights. My guess is the creators of Alien get money from Disney yearly to use their property since it's only a segment of a ride and not an entire ride based on it. It wouldn't make much sense to buy out entire rights to only use one scene from a movie mashed up with other scenes from other movies. But I could be wrong, this is Disney we're talking about lol. I would think Murdy would know about that situation and would've probably shot it down quickly if Disney owning it were the case.

Update - Found this:

Alien appears in The Great Movie Ride despite that it was released by 20th Century Fox rather than MGM or Lucasfilm. Disney had acquired the rights to use Alien from Fox several years earlier for a planned ride at the Magic Kingdom, based on the film.[4] While the ride was canceled, the overall concept later morphed into the Tomorrowland attraction ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter, although the creature from Alien was not used on the basis that it was "too frightening".

So perhaps they DO have the rights since they were originally planning an entire ride on it. Boo :(

Edited by DTH316