Pre-event knowledge

56 members have voted

1. 1. How much information do you like leaked to the fans prior to the event?

• The more the better! I like to completely know every facet of the event before I go.
    • I like hints and clues. I want to be able to speculate about the event but I don't want all the surprise ruined.
    • I want as little as possible when I walk in the gate so everything is completely fresh.
    • I don't care I'm still going.

With this years complete lockdown on leaks and information it is killing me to know NOTHING about the event to come. So I'd liked to know what everyone thinks about the aforementioned lockdown. How much info do you like to know leading up to the event?

What do you say, are you like me where they could hand you the blueprints, concept sketches, and construction photos and you would be elated? Or are you the type who doesn't even want to hear the theme of the event until you are there?

Edited by JWFearman

I like a few hints and clues, and I do like knowing the theme a month ahead of time, but I try to avoid reading walkthroughs or scare spoilers before going. If someone finds a blueprint, I will look at it and speculate though, because it doesn't really give much away.

I enjoy hints and clues. I was devastated when I realized that they didn't allow the house booklets with all the blueprints, elevations, and concept art to be displayed at the Unmasking the Horror.

Another thing, I'm completly okay with Universal strictly enforcing the "no photography or video" rule... if they release an offical house walk-through video at the end of the event. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I picked #3 (I want as little as possible when I walk in the gate so everything is completely fresh). As it is very hard, I try not to look at any speculations or any pictures. I LOVE the feeling I get when I get there not knowing what to suspect. Like a child going to the candy store for the first time.

I picked #3 (I want as little as possible when I walk in the gate so everything is completely fresh). As it is very hard, I try not to look at any speculations or any pictures. I LOVE the feeling I get when I get there not knowing what to suspect. Like a child going to the candy store for the first time.

Me too! I did a lot of going out and looking at props before the event in 2005, and when I got there on employee preview, it kinda took some of the fun away. Now, I don't look at construction pics, and I avoid the parks after September 1 so I won't know...

I like to know a little bit..just enough to get me excited about the event, and to speculate. I try to avoid learning too much about the event, so that I am still surprised. Last year when I went all I knew were house names, but I didn't know anything else about them until I actually walked in the houses myself.

I like both number 1 and number 2, I mean, I like hints and yeah the surprise is nice but I kinda would like it if they told us everything before the event started, I would be fine either way, speculation is a lot uf fun to read, and knowing beforehand is nice too,

I do like to have some hints and clues and at least able to speculate what's going to happen for every year. But, other than that, I don't like to know too much about the event before it starts.

All I know is that all this secrecy had better be worth it. If the theme turns into some lame-duck rehash I'm going to be pissed.

That's how I feel as well. I'm worried that with all this hype and talking about "A New Era of Darkness", we're going to find out what this year is and people are going to be let down. I still have faith in A&D and won't make a judgement on the event until I actually go to it myself, of course.

Initially I wanted to know everything! I loved looking at construction photos and always tried to get in the "know". 2009 was especially underwhelming for me directly because of this and I only attended one full night.

The joy of opening night for me right now is that it is the only night the event is actually grand and has the potential to scare me. If I know what is going to happen that element is lost. I wish I was as easy of a scare as I was in 2007 but, being that I'm not, it's better for me to know less and then have those 2-3 nights of actual scares.

It would have to be a combination of both 1 and 2. Before the event I much rather have hints/teasers in addition to the names of the houses and scarezones; however, once the event officially begins I find myself wanting to know everything about it. For me the teasers help build up the anticipation of the event therefore making the first few nights I attend (especially opening night) even more special. Once I have seen everything I like to try and find out as much information about how it mostly because I like to know how it is accomplished which in turns make me enjoy everything overall more.

I can see that. Having the surprise up front and then learning everything. I tend to look for information to the point where I can cross the boundry. In '09 we learned EVERYTHING. There were pictures of houses, blueprints, house names, ICONS, and concept art. That did affect my enjoyment. I still enjoyed the event but the surprise factor was completely gone. So yeah that was one time I went overboard. Other than that I have never had dimished enjoyment in the event and I scrounge for anything I can get.

I can see that. Having the surprise up front and then learning everything. I tend to look for information to the point where I can cross the boundry. In '09 we learned EVERYTHING. There were pictures of houses, blueprints, house names, ICONS, and concept art. That did affect my enjoyment. I still enjoyed the event but the surprise factor was completely gone. So yeah that was one time I went overboard. Other than that I have never had dimished enjoyment in the event and I scrounge for anything I can get.

but see I liked that abotu 09 A lot because now I can go back and look at all that stuff, when they tell everything, and that didnt affect my enjoyment,

Definitely chose "Don't care, I'm still going" Leaks and tidbits are pretty cool to get over time before the event. I could care less about the speculation aspect of it, I've waded through too many pages of off-topic nonsensical ramblings for that to be enjoyable. Every year it's always a spectacle when the website finally updates and the theme and houses are released, that's when the hype always kicks up and we all typically get our frenzy of excitement :)

Definitely chose "Don't care, I'm still going" Leaks and tidbits are pretty cool to get over time before the event. I could care less about the speculation aspect of it, I've waded through too many pages of off-topic nonsensical ramblings for that to be enjoyable. Every year it's always a spectacle when the website finally updates and the theme and houses are released, that's when the hype always kicks up and we all typically get our frenzy of excitement :)

yeah I agree

I need to know everything. Being as I get at most one night there a year, I want to imagine that I'm there and experiencing it in my head. And, being me, I must know the layout, themes, etc. I'm a planner, so I need to know what to hit when, what to avoid, and what to be excited or no-expectations about.

I like getting hints at the houses and scarezones, but I leave blatantly telling me what they are to my one trusted source. Mostly because then I can go on here and drop hints and watch people freak out :D

I think specualting is what make the experiance better.. i mean we digg deep into our imaginations for this and we get creative and in the end when we see the results its probably 10000000000x better than we imagined