HHN XXI Construction

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Nick! Nick put on his site that the fences/walls in the Shrek alley are on wheels and mentioned the possibly of the layout changing multiple times a night or even just every day. What do you guys think? I think it'd be a fresh new scare zone if they did try something like that.

I REALLY like the idea of "changing" scare zones - it would work very well in the Shrek Alley. Changing every night would be cool enough, but imagine if it changed multiple times a night!

I wonder why all of these towers are popping up all over the park. They aren't limited to New York - we now have them in Shrek Alley and at the IFB. Are they lighting towers or are they directly related to their zones?

Guest HHNPicMan

I REALLY like the idea of "changing" scare zones - it would work very well in the Shrek Alley. Changing every night would be cool enough, but imagine if it changed multiple times a night!

I wonder why all of these towers are popping up all over the park. They aren't limited to New York - we now have them in Shrek Alley and at the IFB. Are they lighting towers or are they directly related to their zones?

There not exclusively for lighting. All the towers have been outfitted with safety rails, harness clips and ladders. Somebody will be climbing these everynight. Whether that person is a scareactor is left to be seen!

There not exclusively for lighting. All the towers have been outfitted with safety rails, harness clips and ladders. Somebody will be climbing these everynight. Whether that person is a scareactor is left to be seen!

Be nice if they were for the hot dancers like they had for 04 and 05... :)

I just thought of something.. Charles got back and there is even More scaffolding with sheer black tarp on it all over the park. Sheer black tarp/scrim is used in projection of images. We've been hearing about 3d projection this year a good deal... maybe its cheaper than a physical facade? a lot of black tarps with projections can be whatever you want. Inner projection is more common method of projection on black scrim. That would keep them from having to reposition the projectors if they move the pieces.

Scares come to mind....

I can see that... in the past once you pass through a scarezone, you get the idea of where the scares are, the hiding places, etc.

My wife keeps an eye out for such things and then avoids them whenever walking though again. If the set pieces move, so do the scares and surprises. Guest won't have the same experience each time they walk through a zone. Add exceptional scareactors who have always done great jobs with stationary sets and you have a new level of experience.

Ha! she's screwed

Got a few pics over my short stay at Uni.

Shrek Alley (Where The coven was)

1 036-2.jpg

2 035-2.jpg

3 034-2.jpg

4 033-2.jpg

5 032-2.jpg

E.T. Kidzone area ( where Cirque Du Freak was)

6 015-2.jpg

7 014-3.jpg

There was also one black tarp pillar near the mummy and another one near the old GB firehouse. As far as I can see, Shrek Alley has a clear entrance way (pic 5) and exit way (Pic 1), stumped as to what ur entering or exiting though.

Any thoughts about the pics??

Edited by cwoolboy

Guest HHNPicMan

I just thought of something.. Charles got back and there is even More scaffolding with sheer black tarp on it all over the park. Sheer black tarp/scrim is used in projection of images. We've been hearing about 3d projection this year a good deal... maybe its cheaper than a physical facade? a lot of black tarps with projections can be whatever you want. Inner projection is more common method of projection on black scrim. That would keep them from having to reposition the projectors if they move the pieces.

Hey JWFearman. I like the idea of projections, however, I do see a few problems with them considering what they are putting up in the park. First, while you can project on screen material, when you get up close to it, you would completely loose clear visibility of the image. As you know, these sets of scalfolding and scims are in direct contact with you, the guest. You can walk right by them and touch them. So, while a projection would be cool, once you got within close proximity to the scarezone, you would see nothing more than a bunch of shaded light.

Second, so far, the only things that appears to have the potential to move during the event are the fences in Shrek Alley. Do you remember TJ talking about the whole "choose your fate" bunch that they wanted to do for 2005? I see Shrek Alley falling under this type of design. Basically, you would have the option as to which path you would like to proceed throught. However, in order to change fate, with each cast change, the fenses would be placed into a different configuration as to change the flow of traffic.

Finally, I work with Stereoscopic projections (3D) on a daily basis. The 3D projectors needed for 3D are extremely expensive. Not to mention, it takes 2 projectors for every 1 image.

I could see these towers being used with lazers, however. Much like 2003 at IOA, and several other years as well. Creating a virtual roof with lazers is actually cheaper than 3D projection. The other problem with 3D projection is that our eyes are not actually meant to see in 3D. Thus, many people cannot physically stand the effects the 3D has on them.

I would like to call your attention to the scalfolding in Shrek Alley, because it is different than the rest of the scalfolding found throughout the park. Notice, in any picture, that the Shrek alley scalfolding dosent contain any platforms for standing. Now, the scrims have already been placed on the scalfolding, so they will not be going back a putting platforms and ladders for standing. Throughout the rest of the park, the platforms went up first, the the scrims and screens a day later. Looking at the towers that are going up throughout the park, does anyone see the potential for them to hold really big playing cards on them? The two sets of scalfolding in Shrek Alley will definately have something put on them. On the insides are structure lines that are holding the towers secured. The wires are attached to really big concrete blocks. I could see oversized cards adorning the sides of the Shrek Alley towers.

As for the scalfolding in New York, the one where the bus stops sits, it actually has 2 platforms at different levels. That one was definately designed for someone to stand on it. I do find it funny that scalfolding has not been placed in other parts of the park. Perhaps they will get to it, or perhaps Universal got a really good deal on scalfolding this year! Who knows. Anyways, just putting my thoughts in. They may do projections and they may be in 3D, but I was just giving my view based on my expirience with 3D and projections.

OK so I got pics today and while a lot of them are the same as what has been seen it cleared up a lot for me to see it for myself. So here we are.

SAM_1249.JPG

Pic of my wife in Shrek. She's standing in front of one of the two chain link boxes.

Seeing what Shrek has really clarified things for me. First off the structures are not fully movable as can be seen here:

SAM_1252.JPG

But they HAVE gates or ARE strictly gates that move Such as this:

SAM_1255.JPG

So what we have is fences that swivel open or shut thus making what I would presume to be different paths. The boxes open up on one side.

There are two tower on each end which signify the entrances as usual. However these are just towers (at least at the moment).

There is nothing to them but scaffolding and black tarp. There are no platforms or ladders so these definitely look like they are strictly decoration.

On To IFB.... Which is more like just outside of the Animal Actors show.

SAM_1263.JPG

These do not open up and only have what looks to be like a small cat walk on the opposite side from the sidewalk like so.

SAM_1265.JPG

There is nothing else to them. There are however two towers on either opposing sides that have both a ladder and a single platform.

SAM_1267.JPG

So we can see someone is intended to climb these and be on them. For what purpose I do not know.

Onto NY. Nothing in Sting Alley except all the posters are gone. In NY we have two towers the first has two tiers and a ladder. This one is much wider than the previous towers.

SAM_1271.JPG

the final tower is a REAL head scratcher.

SAM_1275.JPG

This one has a ladder and a single platform BUT it is placed very unusually right next to where two of the soundstage entrance queues are.. all by its lonesome.

SAM_1273.JPG

A few more things. All the facades I can see (Jaws, Sprung tents) are still black paper.

SAM_1270.JPG

The "window". I don't understand the fascination with the straw cowboy hat. I don't want to meet the cowpoke who wears a straw hat...

SAM_1258.JPG

And the horror makeup show windows have been cleared and replaced with:

SAM_1261.JPG

The construction of the towers really befuddles me. The are see-through fabric with scaffolding. Very simple and like nothing I seen them do before. Perhaps it is a way to construct facades cheaper or the projection idea I mentioned else where. Frankly I'm at a loss. I did not see projectors on the buildings (at least not yet) and I don't really see how they could be illuminated from the inside.

EDIT: Someone just told me that the OZ tower started as black tarp (I never saw that it went up so quickly)

If that is the case, this may just be a way to start the big construction before Rock the Universe.

Edited by JWFearman

This could also be true. Hopefully no drunks try to be cool and climb them this year >_>

I don't think there's any stopping that, unfortunately.

Anyway, thanks for the pictures, JW. That definitely clears up some of the speculation about the scarezones. The high walls around the kidzone/animal stage seem kind of crazy. It kind of reminds me of when they had all of the sideshow posters up a few years ago, except this time it's just a bunch of black tarp.