HHN XXI Wishful Thinking

In a previous post I mentioned Plague Doctors returning in a different era with a Steampunk look, today I found this at a Steampunk Fashion blog:

2992111279_273e331ea1.jpg

this pic is so full of epic win,

you know how extremely cool this would be for a scarezone, I don't even care if they used the same setting for Saws and Steam, Imagining this roaming in HHN would be just, wow! :blink:

Edited by black7mask

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the all the possibilities Uni could do as a house in the coming years, I find the idea of a Japanese horror house the most appealing. If done correctly (as in no ties to The Grudge,) it could be a stellar house. They definatley have the possibilities to create very visually appealing sets, and hopefully new and inventive scares using the various demons and creatures that have been born out of Japanese folklore and their modern horror movies. Hopefully the environments could surpass the sets of Home for The Holidays, and hopefully still contain top-notch scares.

Interesting, I know that, skulls are used ( Like Chainsaws) are used alot in the event, just like blood, But this year to me seems to have an extra amount of skulls, they were very predominant in the event, an entire scarezone and house just devoted to them, since you mention EM you reminded me of this, I know is probably nothing but it would be cool to see Death, and maybe even more skulls, The Grim Reaper around the park would be so awesome, specially in stilts

L_UniversalOrlandoHHNXXHousesTShirtHHN2010FLORIDAHOUSETEE.jpg

It is still a bit early, and we have no official confirmation as yet, but based on recent years I would imagine that Halloween Horror Nights XXI will likely begin at 6:00 PM on Friday, September 30 2011.

So get your countdown clocks going!

Oh, and another thing, that whole Latin inscription theory is only based on a most "grab at straws" sort of rumor after all and has had no real basis on anything let slip by anyone at A&D, but back in 2008 J. Michael Roddy gave us the tantalizing clue CLASSIC about HHN19 and then in 2009 he told us that if we liked the past 19 years of HHN we would love HHN XX. Roddy is, of course, no longer involved with HHN, has anybody out there heard anything from any of our friends at A&D of a similar nature?

Some little vague and tantalizing clue that could fire up our upcoming speculation thread next month?

Emeric? Are you out there?

Since we're in the wishful thinking thread, I say they start on 9/23-9/24. If they are going to continue to cram more into the event an extra weekend would be nice. On the years that Halloween falls in the week and they extend to the first of November, it works great. When the days fall as they did this year it feels like we are cut short.

I would also love to see the front gate 'show' come back. I don't think we've had anything like it since, oh, 2004? Even if it's just a traveling torture cart, it sure makes standing in line more entertaining. If we had to lose our live entertainment because of the LED screen, I think I'd rather have the live folks to interact with return.

I wish that the idea of the whole park being a scarezone would be executed in full. Yes, it will mean more people, lights, money, blah blah blah, but I think they were really onto something in 2007-2008. Having more than a pieced together video montage playing on the wall for queue areas, random scareactors or 'entertainment' (line zombies and such).

Steampunk Catacombs for The Ultimate Win!!!

In fact, why couldn't an entire event be based in the steampunk world? It's trendy, adaptable, and just think of the awesome merchandise they could come up with. If USO doesn't go for it, I foresee one of their competitors using the concept.

Speaking of merchandise, let us all pray to the God of Consumerism that we get some decent choices this year!!!

Mae

Edited by Mae

I just thought of something, I am glad they don't do the shows in the park like the arrival show anymore, they were ok in 06 an 07 but I really don't miss them, is a waste of a scarezone,

imagine if the icons' scarezone this year in XX was a show instead, it would not be as cool, or have as much chance to interact with the actors as we did, at the same time, if 2007 had a big scarezone with Jack and Chance instead of the show, I think it would have been cooler, that year seriously lacked scarezones and they show was ok but a scarezone would have been better,

Hmmm... I actually really enjoyed the opening scareamonies in 06 and 07. I think it makes for a great way to kick off the night and set the tone for the event. It also can really emphasize the importance of the icon to the entire crowd, which FEAR could have really used this year. The general public didn't really seem to know who he was or why they should care.

I understand not wanting to lose a SZ but, in 06, The Arrival was a show and the SA's still interacted with the guests afterwards. No reason it can't serve as both.

Just sharing my take on it :)

I personally think that, if given a choice between the two, Uni should choose to make another scarezone. If the guests don't know much about the Icon when they arrive at the event, that's partly due to Marketing's fault; the story about the Icon should be smeared all over the website, and lightly in the commercials.

I guess what I'm getting at is that even though the arrival shows can be mildly entertaining, the space would be more valuable if used as a scarezone.

Hmmm... I actually really enjoyed the opening scareamonies in 06 and 07. I think it makes for a great way to kick off the night and set the tone for the event. It also can really emphasize the importance of the icon to the entire crowd, which FEAR could have really used this year. The general public didn't really seem to know who he was or why they should care.

I understand not wanting to lose a SZ but, in 06, The Arrival was a show and the SA's still interacted with the guests afterwards. No reason it can't serve as both.

Just sharing my take on it :)

Yeah i can understand people liking them, I guess I am speaking from a Frequent fear pass user mindset, the show was cool, but not That cool, Jack killing a bunch of guys, yeah it was ok but the problem i see is that, the show is only played a few times each night, so there are times when that part of the park doesn't have people or actors or anything, I remember not being able to watch the show that many times due to being in lines for houses, when i came out of the house then the show was over, but with the scarezone, the scarezone is there all the time,

Also, the show is cool but after a few times of seeing it, i don't know, I never saw Bill and ted more than once, or Brian's show more than twice, The rocky horror is a different story due to its cult status, but the arrival show, I catch it a couple of times only, even though the show is cool, I would rather go to a zone or house,

and speaking of Rocky horror, I Guess I rather have a HHN Type of show with an Icon or Icons where they do , Beetlejuice's Rock and Roll Graveyard Revue if Rocky is not coming back,

I think a show there would be okay, instead of building a whole stage and wasting scarezone space, I mean, they could do both, have scarezones and then a show there, I don't know

I loved all the shows as well but black7mask does bring up a good point about being in line for a house and by the time you make it to the show it has already started or it's over with. If Uni decided to throw another show into the mix next year perhaps they could have it to where when the main show is over with there was still something going on up on the stage like maybe some zombie girls dancing like there was back in 2003 or even someone shooting fire in the air. Just something so it's not a dead space until the next main show begins.

I don't like the dead space either. I really wish scareactors were everywhere in the park. About the shows, I'd prefer no show and a scarezone instead. The scarezones have an atmosphere that they create and the shows can't. Just my opinion though

I loved the old shows but scarezones allow for more interaction with the characters. Perhaps they could do a show on the new stage if they could figure out how to do a queue line that doesn't interfere with it? If so the potential would be amazing.

I loved the old shows but scarezones allow for more interaction with the characters. Perhaps they could do a show on the new stage if they could figure out how to do a queue line that doesn't interfere with it? If so the potential would be amazing.

I have an idea on how they could use that stage while still having the queue. I have a heavy metal band concept for a house in my mind. We could have the members of the band be the icons and they could put on a concert for their " die hard" fans. The scarezone area where EM was this year would be like an area for groupies, guitar techs and crazy fans to scare guests and they could be selling the bands merch. While in line the guests can enjoy the concert and when they enter the house they enter the studio where the band records but the band goes crazy and kills the producer and just demolishes the studio. I know it's kind of like the myX concept at HOS this year but I wasn't really a fan of the way they executed it. What do you guys think?

I have an idea on how they could use that stage while still having the queue. I have a heavy metal band concept for a house in my mind. We could have the members of the band be the icons and they could put on a concert for their " die hard" fans. The scarezone area where EM was this year would be like an area for groupies, guitar techs and crazy fans to scare guests and they could be selling the bands merch. While in line the guests can enjoy the concert and when they enter the house they enter the studio where the band records but the band goes crazy and kills the producer and just demolishes the studio. I know it's kind of like the myX concept at HOS this year but I wasn't really a fan of the way they executed it. What do you guys think?

Interesting concept. I like it, sounds like a vast improvement over MyX. Whether or not Uni would actually pick up on this idea, I doubt, but if executed correctly it could lead to a very successful event. If I recall correctly, wasn't there a heavy metal sort of concert going on in Doomsday during HHN18? (I did not attend the event that year)

The biggest reason that house failed for me was the lack of creativity. Sure, some scenes were cool, but it also seemed as if apathy ran rampant throughout that house. The scareactors didn't make much sense some of the time, the sets all looked the same, and they brought nothing new to the table as far as ideas go; there was just so much wasted potential.

However, I do not find it likely that Uni would pick this up as an idea; HHN has always been a much darker and serious than HOS has ever been, and the whole idea of rock band gone psycho doesn't seem dark or scary enough to suit HHN. Perhaps the concept could stand alone as a slightly dark-humored house, but taking up more room than that i can't see happening.

Interesting concept. I like it, sounds like a vast improvement over MyX. Whether or not Uni would actually pick up on this idea, I doubt, but if executed correctly it could lead to a very successful event. If I recall correctly, wasn't there a heavy metal sort of concert going on in Doomsday during HHN18? (I did not attend the event that year)

There was sort of a concert or performance in the house, but it cannot be called Heavy Metal, more like '80s post-punk pop, with bits of the New Romantic and even Classical!

There was sort of a concert or performance in the house, but it cannot be called Heavy Metal, more like '80s post-punk pop, with bits of the New Romantic and even Classical!

It sure was something!!! :lol:

I'm all for more shows, maybe even one that I would like. ;) I haven't been to a show since the first showing of the Rocky tribute in 2008, but more shows to eat up more crowd is good in my book. I just want something more than the 'Big Screen' at the front gates. I know most folks on here go in ahead of time for S&S, but I've waited at the gates at least one time for the last three years and let me tell you, it's missing something. I remember scary clowns that would climb on the gate and taunt the crowd from the 90's, that silly torture truck that went over 'the rules' was around and would do the routine while we waited, even in 2008 the mirror people were there to keep us interested. Put in the Chucky insult attraction, or something. Hearing the monologues over and over and over is NOT entertaing.

I thought about this some more yesterday and I concluded that Universal really needs to address some more serious issues if they really want to impress and retain long-term fans.

1. Research the reputation of the entrance search and security source. This needs to be done immediately, IMO. Also, there needs to be a consensus between Universal and their gate guards BEFORE THE EVENT BEGINS. The making it up as you go crap is not only unprofessional but could be construed as prejudiced if the wrong person is slighted. The fact that they aren't being sued after this past year is very surprising to me.

2. Either cap attendance lower or offer more nights, maybe even try the much debated adults only night or teen-centered night (C'mon, one night won't hurt ANYONE). There has to be a better form of crowd control instituted. A few less patrons in the park would also help the much maligned Ops people do their jobs correctly and not be perceived as tyrannical mood-killers or bored, spoiled wannabes checking Facebook on their phones. I bet they would appreciate that as much as we would.

3. The over-indulgence of alchohol is out of control. They've made some progress with the rampant drunkeness and underaged drinking but it is still not enough. I know most (75-80%) drinkers handle themselves and their drinks just fine in a smaller setting but when you mix thousands and thousands of people (bored from standing in line!) with lots and lots of booze in a confined space problems will be inevitable. Those problems range from simple annoying personalities to violence and destruction. A drink limit is never going to fly, of course, but perhaps make another night alchohol free for those that wish to go without that particular threat. Personally, I would lay money down on this being a HUGE hit.

If they keep piling in more people without facing these issues first they're looking at major damages; to the park, the patrons, and the staff. It will definately cost Universal more cash, but it would be returned 2x, maybe even 3x over. Showing that they care about their patrons and not simply the patrons' wallets would go a long way to getting them an even higher rating in fans' and patrons' hearts.

Mae

Edited by Mae

Mae-

I have to agree with this point: "Either cap attendance lower or offer more nights".

Universal seems to shove in as many people as possible every night of the event. I know I've heard that it has "sold out" but I have never actually seen anyone turned away. I've even heard rumors that Universal has happily paid fines for violating fire codes for having too many people in the park during HHN (not sure if that's true but some nights, it sure feels like it). Anyway- my point is that they allow so many people into the event that lines get so long and the park gets so packed that it definitely detracts from the experience. I would feel awful for someone who can only go one night and only ends up doing a few houses because of crowds, which we all know has happened. It's just crazy to pay $75 for a ticket and still not be able to do at least most of the houses without ponying up another $50 for Express. That's crazy!

I mean, we veterans know how to navigate the event well enough to do it all but I feel for those vacationers and first-timers who come away from HHN with a bad taste in their mouths because of the way it's managed.

Also, yes, getting through security at the front gate is hell.

First, the Latin inscription is a grasp at straws, true. But the cast of Catacombs were grasping because people associated with the development of the event implied there was a clue. That's why we hoped for it.

Second, I have been trying to figure out the theme of next year; one that would be different but still connected to XX. Personally, I want to see something related to alcohol (I'm partial to the idea of a scarezone called, "Chasers"), since HHN is 21. That got the wheels spinning, leading me to this tag line.:

HHN: Coming of Age

Most interestingly, that phrase could lead to a re-introduction of Cindy, who would now be a young adult. The Tree of Horror concept, and Cindy holding the totems, could be revisited in a more disturbing way.

First, the Latin inscription is a grasp at straws, true. But the cast of Catacombs were grasping because people associated with the development of the event implied there was a clue. That's why we hoped for it.

Second, I have been trying to figure out the theme of next year; one that would be different but still connected to XX. Personally, I want to see something related to alcohol (I'm partial to the idea of a scarezone called, "Chasers"), since HHN is 21. That got the wheels spinning, leading me to this tag line.:

HHN: Coming of Age

Most interestingly, that phrase could lead to a re-introduction of Cindy, who would now be a young adult. The Tree of Horror concept, and Cindy holding the totems, could be revisited in a more disturbing way.

Heh, there could be a 'passport' sort of activity, where each sz has a shot and you get some sort of token after you drink it. At the end of the night you have a collection of...temporary tattoos? plastic rings? I dunno...

Mae-

I have to agree with this point: "Either cap attendance lower or offer more nights".

Universal seems to shove in as many people as possible every night of the event. I know I've heard that it has "sold out" but I have never actually seen anyone turned away. I've even heard rumors that Universal has happily paid fines for violating fire codes for having too many people in the park during HHN (not sure if that's true but some nights, it sure feels like it). Anyway- my point is that they allow so many people into the event that lines get so long and the park gets so packed that it definitely detracts from the experience. I would feel awful for someone who can only go one night and only ends up doing a few houses because of crowds, which we all know has happened. It's just crazy to pay $75 for a ticket and still not be able to do at least most of the houses without ponying up another $50 for Express. That's crazy!

I mean, we veterans know how to navigate the event well enough to do it all but I feel for those vacationers and first-timers who come away from HHN with a bad taste in their mouths because of the way it's managed.

Also, yes, getting through security at the front gate is hell.

there were many nights when the event was in IoA where it was sold out. I remember they even advertised it on the site. And it was in fact sold out.

being busy is going to happen. They're called peak nights for a reason. That's like going to Magic Kingdom in July and complaining it's busy.

I think one of the biggest problems for me which is the easiest one to solve is the lack of roof, but, Of course i am not suggesting that they spend money on making a roof or something

what i can never understand is why they cannot put a piece of tarp or a sheet of plastic, anything, I would even settle for a bunch of plastic bags, or anything to cover the roofs, sometimes when you are getting scared and the actors are really doing a good job then you look up and you see the space and the roof of the stage, I think that little detail will make the houses better, I try to imagine my favorite houses like Hades with just a black roof on top, that would not only be better but it would make it scarier and it would make it look like youre closed in, The only time that it was ok for the roof to be open was to see the dracula's brides, but in Legendary truth we didn't even get flying ghosts <_<

Edited by black7mask

Yeah, I would like to have more plastic bags covering up the mazes. I've heard it's a fire hazard (therefore) they don't always use them). But, why would some houses have them, and others don't?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/.a/6a00d83451c3cb69e20120a633a5ae970c-640wi

oh <_< the fire hazard makes sense, i guess, mmm, I still wish the roofs were covered, I mean, there has to be something that can cover the roof, without the fire problem

there were many nights when the event was in IoA where it was sold out. I remember they even advertised it on the site. And it was in fact sold out.

being busy is going to happen. They're called peak nights for a reason. That's like going to Magic Kingdom in July and complaining it's busy.

True, but peak nights still have to have something to offer besides 240 minutes wait times vs. another $100 dollars for an EP. Maybe there's enough of the general public with cash to keep the game rolling for now, but eventually there will be a breakdown in either service or security. We're already seeing it at the front gates.

Mae

oh <_< the fire hazard makes sense, i guess, mmm, I still wish the roofs were covered, I mean, there has to be something that can cover the roof, without the fire problem

Lots of the soundstage houses have had roofs. I can't figure why they didn't this past year. It did detract on occasion, especially in Hades.

Mae

why are we complaining about roofs? sure, it would be pretty boss so you feel claustrophobic or closed in with a low roof(such as HAVOC, Catacombs and Orfanage), but i dont look up in a house. i'm looking at the scenery(if noones scaring me) or at the masks of the SA's scaring the$#!! out of me.

also, for the crowd control idea, i'm 14, and i've been going to the event every year since i was 9, so i would suggest a 13 and up only age limit, but then those people like i was that aren't 13 yet won't be able to experience it.

an adults only night on a sunday during the event would be smart, but definitely NOT on a friday or saturday, or the thursdays with no school the next day.

alcohol is defenitely a major problem with the raging alcheys running around the park, stopping the line movement in the houses and causing fights. they should have about 10 bar stands instead of 25.

the front gate, i wouldn't know. i always get there around 5:30 and in the front of the line, so i can't complain about that. what happened in front of there in the past years that make it such a problem?

the stage overlooking the LT queue would be good an bad. good for the entertainment, bad because maybe you could hear it in the ss's, or are they soundproof?

and i would rather just themed streets w/o SA's because the SA's in the SZ's aren't the best. i never get scared in them(besidesTYOF this year). they should save money and just theme areas and make a 9th house!