HHN XXI Wishful Thinking

I think next year they should have a haunted library or something that someone walks into. This could be one of the houses along with the works of Stephen King , Egdar Allen Poe, and other classic horror stories. With this theme you wouldn't need an icon either.

That sounds like an awesome idea! They could use it with Frankenstein as well or something.

This wasn't even my favorite house but the more I think about it, it was probably my favorite concept. I want to see PsychoScarepy: Home for the Holidays come back but amped up.

I always thought the whole concept of a Christmas-themed maze would be really cool. I wish could've seen it. I think Knott's also did an overlay for their log ride called, "Santa Claws Mountain" quite a few years ago.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think next year they should have a haunted library or something that someone walks into. This could be one of the houses along with the works of Stephen King , Egdar Allen Poe, and other classic horror stories. With this theme you wouldn't need an icon either.

I think Universal could do a lot with this. I suggested that when this thread first started. I'm taking a literature class and we're reading all of these dark short stories that I've been trying to think of ways HHN could make those stories come to life. Maybe they could do a Silver Screams-esque house except with books and stories instead of movies.

How about something that nobody would ever think to do? How about a Jaws maze? Just picture it. As soon as we enter the Jaws queue, a scareactor in a shark costume would jump out at us and yell, "candy gram!" How about it? :D

THAT would be absolutely, positively hysterical! I'd probably pee myself a little bit...but it would be worth it...LOL

Personally, I would love to see the Halloween aspect stay in place, i.e. the pumpkins throughout Central Park. The event is "Halloween" Horror Nights ;)

THAT would be absolutely, positively hysterical! I'd probably pee myself a little bit...but it would be worth it...LOL

Personally, I would love to see the Halloween aspect stay in place, i.e. the pumpkins throughout Central Park. The event is "Halloween" Horror Nights ;)

Me too!

HISTORY OF HORROR

-Jack the Ripper

-Catacombs

-Hades

-Sleepy Hollow

-Samhain

-Skeletons

-Witches

-Harvest Time/Corn Field

-Trick r' Treat (based off the movie and the tradition)

-Voodoo

-Day of the Dead

-Pegan Traditions

-The Hallow 2

-Lizzie Borden

It would basically be a year where all the events, environments, and iconic creatures that played their part in "horror" and Halloween over the years, all come together at HHN XXI.

Edited by The Director of Horror

I think Universal could do a lot with this. I suggested that when this thread first started. I'm taking a literature class and we're reading all of these dark short stories that I've been trying to think of ways HHN could make those stories come to life. Maybe they could do a Silver Screams-esque house except with books and stories instead of movies.

Yeah I completely Agree, sometimes I hear, (Specially this year) that "HHN is running out of ideas" or stuff like "can HHN come up with anything new" because of all the zombies and using the same characters for years but When I think of thoughts like that I think, the only reason we get the same is because of the fan base, well anyways the thing I wanted to say about the books is that, There are literally hundreds if not thousands of scary stories and horror tales out there that HHN could do houses about, it doesnt always have to be movies either, That is the reason that Hades is one of my favorite houses of all time, because it was totally unexpected and they totally pulled it off, The idea of Silver screams-esque house sounds pretty cool

Me too!

HISTORY OF HORROR

-Jack the Ripper

-Catacombs

-Hades

-Sleepy Hollow

-Samhain

-Skeletons

-Witches

-Harvest Time/Corn Field

-Voodoo

-Day of the Dead

-Pegan Traditions

-The Hallow 2

-Lizzie Borden

It would basically be a year where all the events, environments, and iconic creatures that played their part in "horror" and Halloween over the years, all come together at HHN XXI.

I LOVE this idea! I'm all for bringing the event back to the theme of HALLOWEEN. I like that they still include it here and there (the pumpkins in Central Park, this year's Coven) but it would be great to see the entire event themed to the holiday itself.

Edited by Creeper06

I LOVE this idea! I'ma ll for bringing the event back to the theme of HALLOWEEN. I like that they still include it here and there (the pumpkins in Central Park, this year's Coven) but it would be great to see the entire event themed to the holiday itself.

I think that might be why 2008 was so amazing for me, because it was the closest to what a halloween related HHN could be like, we had trick or treaters, the hallow, it was pretty amazing, even thought we had incredibly horrible houses (bloody mary, interstellar terror) 08 was just really great. and, the park could look like trick R treat the movie, I mean not the characters or the plot, but that movie really did an outstanding job at the sets, it would be really cool if every scarezone was related to halloween and the houses were how halloween is celebrated in different cultures or parts of the world, or different halloween myths, because there are probably stuff we haven't even heard about. it would be cool, just thinking about it makes me see how could it could be

Me too!

HISTORY OF HORROR

-Jack the Ripper

-Catacombs

-Hades

-Sleepy Hollow

-Samhain

-Skeletons

-Witches

-Harvest Time/Corn Field

-Voodoo

-Day of the Dead

-Pegan Traditions

-The Hallow 2

-Lizzie Borden

I deffinatly like the idea. Especially the Lizzie Borden. Being originally from New England, I always get chills down my spine whenever her name is mentioned.

Me too!

HISTORY OF HORROR

-Jack the Ripper

-Catacombs

-Hades

-Sleepy Hollow

-Samhain

-Skeletons

-Witches

-Harvest Time/Corn Field

-Voodoo

-Day of the Dead

-Pegan Traditions

-The Hallow 2

-Lizzie Borden

Dislike the Hades , Pagan Traditions (Which refers to anything that isn't Christian), and Day of the Dead (It's a very somber holiday), but other than those, I'd love to see a year based upon the ideas of traditional Halloween, would be amazingly fun.

I think that might be why 2008 was so amazing for me, because it was the closest to what a halloween related HHN could be like, we had trick or treaters, the hallow, it was pretty amazing, even thought we had incredibly horrible houses (bloody mary, interstellar terror) 08 was just really great. and, the park could look like trick R treat the movie, I mean not the characters or the plot, but that movie really did an outstanding job at the sets, it would be really cool if every scarezone was related to halloween and the houses were how halloween is celebrated in different cultures or parts of the world, or different halloween myths, because there are probably stuff we haven't even heard about. it would be cool, just thinking about it makes me see how could it could be

That's why I enjoyed 2008 so much as well, there was actually a Halloween feel to the event. (Imagine that, a Halloween event that has a Halloween feel to it...LOL) I like your idea about having the scarzones and houses related to various elements of Halloween, different cultures, myths, etc. Sure horror flicks and the like are big part of the holiday, but I'm totally old school Halloween and love that look and feel that the traditional concepts bring to an event like this one.

I think the Halloween idea would cater to us the fans, the Halloween fans, and A&D can allways find a way to appeal to the GP.

A way they can somewhat bring in crowds is from the movie Trick R' Treat. While it's not a widely-known movie, movies allways seem to bring a crowd. And fortunately, the movie-house would still stay within the boundries.

Here's my idea for a house based off the movie Trick R' Treat:

You enter in Emma's yard with all of the ghost scarecrows. You can see the facade of the house, it is an unpractical set. You come upon Emma's severed body with the pumpkin lollipop. Then Sam jumps out at you with a sheet. You enter through a gate in the fence and are now in the yard of Mr. Kreeg. His yard is full of jack o' lanterns. You enter under the porch and into the den. You see Sam run across the hallway upstairs. Once you exit the den and enter into a hallway leading to the bedroom you see Mr. Kreeg struggling for his life after being attacked by Sam. Still going down the long hallway you hear a shotgun blast coming from a room to the left of you. Then you enter the bedroom with the flaming jack o' lantern and red writing all over the walls. You exit the house and now are in the backyard of Principal Wilkins digging the grave for the kid he poisoned, Charlie. You walk through a tall wooden fence surrounding the yard and are now in what seems like a rock quarry filled with thick fog. There is very little light and you here the voices of children taunt you. Shortly after, the flickering of the bus headlights reveal the children in their costumes, inches away from your face. After you escape from the children you are on the path lit by jack o' lanterns in the forest. After you are distracted by Laurie in her Red Riding Hood costume, a vampire tries to attack you, which later turns out to be Principal Wilkins. Afterwards, you come upon the suprise party. All of the girls are ripping out of their storybook costumes and transforming into werewolves. You see their dates, dead. Once you are about to leave the party, mauled and scratched body of Principal Wilkins falls from a tree with his his vampire costume. You leave the forest and are in an area filled with thick, dense fog. The only thing in sight is a jack o' lantern. You see the flame go out, everything is dark. Then an extremley loud scretch is heard, a blinding light is flashed several times revealing Sam's face in jack o' lantern form.

I also think that bringing back Cats N' Combs would be a way to us happy (even though it could be considered a repeat, it was a fan house. Mabye we could go back when the Black Death was actually happening, mabye we could go into the infected towns were the plauge has struck?

As long as A&D make a Halloween-based year sooner-or-later, I'll be a happy camper.

As much I love sequels to past houses, I would love to see this trend to die out for awhile. But, I can't wait to see where this "New Era of Darkness" takes us! :)

I've never minded having one sequel house in the mix. With 8 houses total, one sequel to a REALLY good house is still very cool (like Scream House, for example) and we still get 7 brand new ones. Plus it does give a chance to people who might have missed it the first time around. My point is having 1 repeat out of 8 isn't bad, unlike out here in Hollywood where we got 4 out of 5 repeats. That's just boring.

And I find it so curious that everyone loved Catacombs so much. I seem to be the only one who didn't. Maybe I just happened to have a really bad run-through (I only got to do it once this year). But, if we get to return to the Catacombs in 2011, I'm happy to give it a second chance :)

I've never minded having one sequel house in the mix. With 8 houses total, one sequel to a REALLY good house is still very cool (like Scream House, for example) and we still get 7 brand new ones. Plus it does give a chance to people who might have missed it the first time around. My point is having 1 repeat out of 8 isn't bad, unlike out here in Hollywood where we got 4 out of 5 repeats. That's just boring.

And I find it so curious that everyone loved Catacombs so much. I seem to be the only one who didn't. Maybe I just happened to have a really bad run-through (I only got to do it once this year). But, if we get to return to the Catacombs in 2011, I'm happy to give it a second chance :)

The biggest reason I Love Catacombs is because it was the only scary house for me, well, the only scary houses were Hades, Havoc, Catacombs, but, also, I loved that the detail on the walls in the beginning, all the skulls, and the costumes to me were really amazing, as well as the darkness of the house. the Other thing that I loved is that the story was real, so it made it much more scary, it made it scary but a little sad at the end, thinking about the victims,

About the sequels, I totally agree BUT I really wish they didn't do sequels to the most famous houses, we keep getting the same sequels, I wish they did sequels to lesser known houses, if we don't see the Body collectors for the next 10 years, fine with me, same with Psychoscarepy, no Psychoscarepy the next 10 years, also fine,

That's why a sequel to The Thing from 07 is something that I would Love to see, that house to me was really amazing,

to pick up a topic dropped a few days ago....

the literature/horror story idea could be a theme for a whole event, if you think about it. all 8 houses could be like you walking thorugh a horror story, like the shining, other steph king works and EAP stuff. and sz's could be old myths and legends, like 08(but better).

I just read thru this entire thread and would like to comment on many of the interesting ideas and suggestions offered as well as humbly submit a couple of my own in reference to them.

First on the idea of a return to IOA, should they find a way to overcome the various logistical and property rights issues, it seems to me that Marvel Superhero Island could be the location of a truly awesome house and/or scarezone featuring the Marvel Zombies!

Next year may be too soon to bring Cindy in as Icon, as the ideas for her as Icon this year were actually utilized in bringing about Fear (i.e. the burning or sacrificing of the Five Icons to create a New era of Darkness), we should wait until an entirely new concept of the character could be devised unlike anything we have seen before. Perhaps revealing her true parentage? Somehow I don't think this will be ready until 2012 or even 2013.

Death? Wasn't that the Caretaker? Somehow too generic, if they do decide to bring in Death as an icon then he or she should be personified in a way that is completely new and nothing like either The Grim Reaper or the cosmic Goth Chick from Sandman as both have become cliched.

Literature? If so I might suggest the works of Poe over Stephen King, as there would be no copyright issues with the public domain stories and poems of EAP. Also many of his works could very easily be translated into houses. Imagine houses based on "Masque of the Red Death" with all the multi-colored rooms, "The House of Usher" or the dungeons of "The Pit and the Pendulum" for example.

Lovecraft also has many strange possibilities.

Legendary Truth will doubtlessly return, hopefully exploring strange events that we know of such as The Jersey Devil, Mothman, Bunnyman, etc. or what about recent weird Internet memes like the Slenderman?

Japanese horror contains a wealth of malevolent demons and creatures that could make a very picturesque and fascinating house. As for modern day J-Horror, it tends to be too similar in its inevitable wet long haired vengeful females. We have already had a house with a scene from The Ring after all. But as for The Grudge, somehow I don't think HHN audiences are quite ready to deal with a scareactor of a small Japanese boy in his underwear meowing like a cat!

To expand upon the themes of The Hallow and have an entire event exploring Halloween thru the ages as presented in Ray Bradbury's The Halloween Tree may be too much like 2008, but if done well could be quite wonderful.

To answer the person who asked, Fate was a proposed Icon for 2005, she would have been an Icon of an event held that year at USF rather than IOA which would have been highly interactive. Guests' choices in which path they took and within houses would make their experiences different every time. She was portrayed as being eyeless with tears of blood dripping out of her empty sockets as in "Blind Fate".

Now should there be some return to the "Shadows of the Past", I humbly suggest that the Body Collectors and The Plague Doctors would make natural enemies. Imagine then if you will Body Collectors vs. Plague Doctors with us caught in between? Not set in the past, but in an alternative timeline perhaps? Steampunk Plague Doctors would be awesome.

Havoc would be a natural for a returning franchise, a scarezone would be quite a neat concept.

Somebody in decrying old concepts listed CDT among those that should be shelved. I disagree. The Chainsaw Drill Team as well as The Rat Lady have been two things that have always been a part of HHN in one form or another since the very beginning. They are in a separate category as traditions of the Event, signature items that guests look for every year. They should always return in some way every year, but of course there are many many different ways they can be utilized as we have seen and it would be best to continue exploring this.

As for the Land Shark from SNL, well actually this idea could be played straight if you will, mutated human/shark hybrids escaped from some horrible laboratory experiment stalking the dry ground!

The biggest reason I Love Catacombs is because it was the only scary house for me, well, the only scary houses were Hades, Havoc, Catacombs, but, also, I loved that the detail on the walls in the beginning, all the skulls, and the costumes to me were really amazing, as well as the darkness of the house. the Other thing that I loved is that the story was real, so it made it much more scary, it made it scary but a little sad at the end, thinking about the victims,

About the sequels, I totally agree BUT I really wish they didn't do sequels to the most famous houses, we keep getting the same sequels, I wish they did sequels to lesser known houses, if we don't see the Body collectors for the next 10 years, fine with me, same with Psychoscarepy, no Psychoscarepy the next 10 years, also fine,

That's why a sequel to The Thing from 07 is something that I would Love to see, that house to me was really amazing,

Yeah. The one time I hit Catacombs was when it was still light out and that could have greatly decreased the effectiveness of the house for me.

And I completely agree about Body Collectors and PsychoScareapy. Give them a rest!

But a sequel to Catacombs, Legendary Truth, or Hallow'd Past (with different houses represented)? Then sign me up!

Dr. Jimmy- I also agree about the difference between "repeats" and "traditions". CDT and Rat Lady (and the pumpkins in Central Park) are expected and it's nice to have them incorporated every year.

Here's an idea: ever since the 19th Century Polidori's Ruthven, Le Fanu's Carmilla and Stoker's Dracula established Vampires as romantic, seductive aristocrats. Why not go in the extreme opposite direction? How about working class white trash bloodsuckers? Redneck vampires! Unwashed, sweaty and overweight they would put the Morbid back into Morbidly obese!

Instead of Castle Vampyr we could have: TRAILER PARK VAMPYR!

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

Quote: "Here's an idea: ever since the 19th Century Polidori's Ruthven, Le Fanu's Carmilla and Stoker's Dracula established Vampires as romantic, seductive aristocrats. Why not go in the extreme opposite direction? How about working class white trash bloodsuckers? Redneck vampires! Unwashed, sweaty and overweight they would put the Morbid back into Morbidly obese!

Instead of Castle Vampyr we could have: TRAILER PARK VAMPYR!"

------------

I think that's a splendid idea! :P

Edited by The Director of Horror

Here's an idea: ever since the 19th Century Polidori's Ruthven, Le Fanu's Carmilla and Stoker's Dracula established Vampires as romantic, seductive aristocrats. Why not go in the extreme opposite direction? How about working class white trash bloodsuckers? Redneck vampires! Unwashed, sweaty and overweight they would put the Morbid back into Morbidly obese!

Thats a wicked awesome idea. I could see that being an awesome cheese house. No offense to your idea of course. I think I would get a kick out of it.

brilliant4.jpg

That would make a great dark humor house! I love it!

For what it's worth, there was a rumor that a clue to HHN21 was Catacombs. I posted the following in the Catacombs thread, but it's more appropriate for here.

The Latin, I don't think, is the clue. What I was able to get from it translated (roughly) into:

"Violent Death" (Latin word I couldn't translate) "Sleep"

"To Hear" (Latin) (Latin) (Latin)

It's a fairly long phrase, and I'm still playing with it some, but considering guests would never be able to see it (there was no show light on it, it can only be seen during a lights on tour), I'm starting to lean more towards another clue.

The final paragraph in the museum portion of the house began with the phrase; "Mankind has always been intrigued by Death." Grammatically, the word "death" should NOT be capitalized there. It's obviously intentional, and capitalizing it personifies death (much the same way Fear is the personification of fear). When you throw in the fact that the rest of the paragraph talks, rather bluntly, about how everything must end and you must fill that time with something suitable while anticipating a new beginning, it begins to eerily correlate with the events of HHN.

The supposed connection with Orfanage, similarly, fits as well. Follow this, it's a bit of a stretch.

Hades deals with monsters in the underworld.

LT deals with ghost who are already dead.

Psychoscarepy deals with either ghost who are already dead or forgotten inmates who are not dead.

Zombiegeddon deals with the undead.

Hallow'd Past deals with the past.

Havoc deals with psychotic super-soldiers.

Catacombs deals with the people dying from the Black Death and the people attempting to prevent it.

Orfanage deals with children dying and the person who caused it.

Catacombs and Orfanage are the only two houses this year that specifically deal with death... or better yet... Death.

We have seen the personification of Fear. We have seen that Universal has toyed with the idea of personifying Fate. Death, suddenly, doesn't seem so far outside the realm of possibility.

That said, Catacombs could easily return as another house or as a street (though those mask would be a nightmare in the streets for scareactors). The Dogs could return or Shadow Creek could be investigated further without the dogs. The Legendary Truth franchise could continue, but only if they "visit" different "locations" which would allow the effects to return in different ways. And with the push towards original content I think we will begin to see a lot less movie references.

i know this is a little late, but i found this:

i was looking at the map for this year, and noticed for the description for EM, the first line says this: "revel into the seductive taunts of Death". This is the only time Death is capitalized on the entire map(with the exception of FR, where the 5 pawns of fear are capitalized), so maybe EM will join Catacombs and Sindy on the Icon of Death? Let's hope so!

i know this is a little late, but i found this:

i was looking at the map for this year, and noticed for the description for EM, the first line says this: "revel into the seductive taunts of Death". This is the only time Death is capitalized on the entire map(with the exception of FR, where the 5 pawns of fear are capitalized), so maybe EM will join Catacombs and Sindy on the Icon of Death? Let's hope so!

Interesting, I know that, skulls are used ( Like Chainsaws) are used alot in the event, just like blood, But this year to me seems to have an extra amount of skulls, they were very predominant in the event, an entire scarezone and house just devoted to them, since you mention EM you reminded me of this, I know is probably nothing but it would be cool to see Death, and maybe even more skulls, The Grim Reaper around the park would be so awesome, specially in stilts

It is still a bit early, and we have no official confirmation as yet, but based on recent years I would imagine that Halloween Horror Nights XXI will likely begin at 6:00 PM on Friday, September 30 2011.

So get your countdown clocks going!

Oh, and another thing, that whole Latin inscription theory is only based on a most "grab at straws" sort of rumor after all and has had no real basis on anything let slip by anyone at A&D, but back in 2008 J. Michael Roddy gave us the tantalizing clue CLASSIC about HHN19 and then in 2009 he told us that if we liked the past 19 years of HHN we would love HHN XX. Roddy is, of course, no longer involved with HHN, has anybody out there heard anything from any of our friends at A&D of a similar nature?

Some little vague and tantalizing clue that could fire up our upcoming speculation thread next month?

Emeric? Are you out there?

Edited by Dr. Jimmy