HHN XX Discussion

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the descriptions don't necessarily create great excitement, but what I think about it will blow all other HHNs out of the water is in the execution. I find it interesting that we have no real icon, and that is fine with me (was the icon something Roddy insisted upon, perhaps, and now that he's gone the icons are gone too?). Don't downplay what you are reading, wait for the event to see how it all really plays out. I only hope it's as great as 2008 (Reflections of Fear excepted).

Its cool to hear them say the fans built the backstory to Cindy and the reason they did this Orfanage house is for us fans. He said it was eye opening to see fans run past Jack to take a pic with Cindy. Also, if they kept with Cindy in '02 they would have never developed the Caretaker

In addition although FEAR himself has stated "This is not about the Past, only the Future" we do indeed have two sequel houses. They will be far more intense and take the original concepts into new and unfamiliar territories, but nevertheless Psychoscareapy: Echoes of Shady Brook is the fourth house in that franchise, and The Orfanage: Ashes to Ashes will continue the legacy of Albert Caine.

I think Orfanage is more of a spinoff than a sequel

Guest FL Universal Jax

Has anyone noticed that Universal appears to truly be sinking a ton of money into the event this year. Mainly, the houses. I have been reading about people taking issue with this years web site. Many have stated that it lacks in substance. Well, I have a view to counter that.

Do you recall last year when A&D built a 10,000 dollar (thats right ten thousand dollar) model just for a web site? I mean, seriously, you cant tell me that the money dosent detract from HHN houses and such. Therefore, I see this years web site as a way for Universal to sink every penny possible into creating the most elaborate, detailed, and remeberable houses of all times. It seems to me that Universal was able to get the point across about this years event, while saving a ton of money compared to last year.

Now, I just want to give my 2 cents about "Fear"...

First, no one really knows where HHN will lead when it comes to an idea as a determining character. Sure, we have seen some scary looking teeth and a quick glimpse of a face, but truly, we dont know what he looks like.

Second, is this year turning out to be the most mind boggling year or what? We started out in November with a reunion year like 16, then we went to a whole new original theme with no past involved, then we turn around again and get something that no one figured out until about a month ago. So again, is this just the absolute funnest year yet when it comes to details leading up to the event?

I am not keeping up with the threads as I have other irons in the fire, but after decompiling the website .FLV last night one picture caught my eye.

image182.jpg

It is for the Saws N steam zone. Looks to be a locomotive wheel. Will they be moving E.L.B.'s Train into N.Y. as a prop? Looks to me they will be.

Guest FL Universal Jax

I am not keeping up with the threads as I have other irons in the fire, but after decompiling the website .FLV last night one picture caught my eye.

image182.jpg

It is for the Saws N steam zone. Looks to be a locomotive wheel. Will they be moving E.L.B.'s Train into N.Y. as a prop? Looks to me they will be.

This would make since, many time fear/death is associated with a long black train. This is too cool. It seems that Universal is truly creating new ways to scare people.

I'm half looking forward to going back in now. One thing that kinda surprised me in the conference call is when they speak of how (and to horribly paraphrase) 'One of the eight houses is going to have a comedic factor in it....And it's definetly not the one everyone seems to think it is.....sequel house' So wait....My home is not going to be tongue in cheek dark humor like I thought? Well crap. We're actually going to try something...interesting.

Edited by Chemowasabi

Quick question, but if you stay at a Universal Hotel (Hardrock for example), would you get to use your key card as a fastpass for HHN as you would for a regular day at universal? If so, where is the information proving this?

Edited by .error

Quick question, but if you stay at a Universal Hotel (Hardrock for example), would you get to use your key card as a fastpass for HHN as you would for a regular day at universal? If so, where is the information prooving this?

No, Universal Express with your room key does not apply to HHN.

image182.jpg

I hope so! Even just to see Doc Brown's train get some much needed use, instead of tucked into a dark corner like last year.

Great idea!

You know, especially after their conference chat I think if there was one underutilized element I'm hoping gets a bigger role this year, and it sounds like they seem open to more this year, its adding more immersive elements. They mentioned fire in a house, which sounds great. Do more things like sprays with water and dripping, foam (Treak and Foon type foam), smoke, air (a few houses have had air blow on you hard) low lying fog. All these things they've had before and in my experience at least, those things get a massive wow out of audiences and people seemed to remember and be drawn to things they felt they were moving through like that. Containment last year wasn't an earth shaking scarezone, but walking through green lit up fog is, well...fun.

Clearly they seem to be doing a good bit of blacklight for the Day of the Dead styled zone and I get the impression from the Dogs of War house we could get a good bit of fog and things. I just remember catching the picture they posted on the past section a few weeks ago of Treak and Foon and going "man, I hope they push for this sort of thing again"

Just a thought I had after hearing them.

I'm half looking forward to going back in now. One thing that kinda surprised me in the conference call is when they speak of how (and to horribly paraphrase) 'One of the eight houses is going to have a comedic factor in it....And it's definetly not the one everyone seems to think it is.....sequel house' So wait....My home is not going to be tongue in cheek dark humor like I thought? Well crap. We're actually going to try something...interesting.

My money is on the Zombiegeddon maze for the camp house this year. But I am a little biased ;) What does everyone else think?

My money is on the Zombiegeddon maze for the camp house this year. But I am a little biased ;) What does everyone else think?

Nah I'm starting to think no because they said after seeing what people were tihnking it would be they were enjoying that we all were thinking the wrong one. Everyone has assumed zombiegeddon.

Edited by jmorri26

Catacombs: I dunno, I'm kinda iffy on the concept.... this is my least-anticipated house this year, but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Hades: I'm really looking forward to this one. The theme opens a lot of possibilities, and at the very least, it should be a gorgeous house.

Horror Nights: The Parade building has held my favorite houses of the past two years. This is probably my most-anticipated house, and it looks quite well-themed from the photos released so far. I'm hoping it's as big as it's rumored to be.

Havoc: Hmmm. Not sure about this one.... it seems that it could just be frenzied, violent test subjects. If they're monstrous in any way besides their behavior, I'm interested.... but if they're just regular humans with shaved heads, I dunno.

Zombiegeddon: So, I'm assuming that the plot here is that we're at a training facility where zombies are used as target practice, and the zombies break free? Or, perhaps we ARE the zombies, and as such we're the ones getting shot at? If so, that'd be an interesting twist. Anyway, this one should be a fun little house.

LegendaryTruth: The overall theme here seems to be geared more towards the fans, much like Reflections of Fear... I really doubt that the average guest will get the whole LegendaryTruth thing. However, unlike with RoF, the theme of a haunted mansion is much more easily accessable. I'm really looking forward to this one, and wonder if the house will hold any further signifigance.

PsychoScareapy: Again? I'll be honest here... I missed out on the original PsychoScareapy, and I thought Maximum Madness was a good house, but not as amazing as most others thought. Then there was Home for the Holidays, which I thought was pretty fun but a bit low in terms of scares. So I'm not as interested in this one as most people probably are, but it should be good. The fact that it's closed down and haunted is much scarier to me, though I'm now highly confused about the timeline.... does this take place in the future?

The Orfanage: I'm looking forward to this one a lot. I'm a bit surprised that Cindy's getting her own house, to be honest.... it seems a bit odd for her to be on her own, without the Caretaker. And honestly, I think she's too cute to be scary. But the theme is really interesting, and I think they could do a lot with it.

The Coven: Should be interesting, don't have much else to say than that... a very "Halloween" zone to be sure.

Zombie Gras: Now this looks like fun. Nice of them to actually put a zone here for a change.... these past few years the L.A. and Amity areas have been way too empty.

Saws 'n Steam: What I like about this is how unique the theme is, at least for a scarezone. Not sure how scary it will be, but I have pretty high hopes for this.

Esqueleto Muerte: I like the theme for this, though I wonder how well such an apparently blacklight-heavy scarezone will work outdoors.

Fear Revealed: This is a show, I guess? Whatever it is, I'm assuming it's in front of Mel's Diner.

20 Years of Fear: I hope that this has a least some theming, so it's more than another Horror Comes Home.

As a side note, I really wish Eddie would finally get his due. I mean, unlike Cindy, he actually made it to the promotional stage of the event, but he's been treated even worse than Cindy over the years. Think about it.... he appeared in Horror Night Nightmares in 2004 and RUN in 2006, but both times he barely even looked like Eddie and didn't even use his chainsaw. Meanwhile, Cindy was replaced pretty early on, but she was the main focus of Screamhouse Ressurection, finally made a "live" appearance in Shadows of the Past last year, and now is getting her own house. I like Cindy too, but I really hope Eddie gets some recognition this year, even if it's only in the Horror Nights house.

Shouldn't the people who told you that be held accountable? I mean every year A&D/Universal/Marketing always says, "This year is going to be revolutionary". Or at least that's how they make it sound. I do agree in a sense that it is the 20th Anniversary and I did expect something a little... more. I know I'm jumping the gun cause I haven't even experienced the damn thing yet... now I'm rambling.

yeah I agree, I won't say anything about the "revolutionary" comments because all we have right now is basic descriptions, but Who knows what they made inside the houses,

Some houses have made me curious, like the Legendary Truth house, is a ghost house, it Can't just be actors dressed like ghosts, they might have added some effects to the house

same thing with the catacombs and the orfanage, even shadybrook might have some stuff that might blow our minds, I wouldn't judge the event on a basic site,