Halloween Horror Nights 29 Speculation

Mark M.

3 hours ago, Drummanmatt said:

Haha I wondered how long it would take you to pick up my comments!  You know how much I really hate that bloody theme song.

Each to their own. I do like Chucky, though wasn’t a fan of the last film and not looking forward to the reboot this summer.  I grew up with those films so they’ll always be on my fave lists.  

As for announcements this this week is unlikely. Disney and Fox deal went through today, Stranger Things 3 trailer dropped today. It feels the announcement would get lost. I’d imagine it’ll be delayed to next week at least. Still plenty of time anyway so what’s the rush?

The rush is.. I'm an impatient child in a middle-aged woman's body

Also, Bill & Ted are coming back.. so will Bill & Ted be coming back to HHN? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=2_x2C4L6quA

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

HR Bloodengutz hosting a creature feature with every room being a Universal Classic Monster would be a dream come true. Just like his last one but instead of holidays its monsters. 

Love Bloodengutz, but I'm not digging the mash up.  Bloodengutz was all about the shlock movies, and with few exceptions, Universal Classic Monsters were played straight.  If this was presented as Kurtzberg before he lost his job and his mind, I don't think it would have the same impact on us.  Alternatively, a campy Bloodengutz introduction to straight classic horror would also seem out of place.

9 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

The rush is.. I'm an impatient child in a middle-aged woman's body

Also, Bill & Ted are coming back.. so will Bill & Ted be coming back to HHN? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=2_x2C4L6quA

If Bill & Ted doesn't come back, I riot.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

It looks like it right now, I don't see Universal and Disney sitting and making a deal to let Universal use the ips for their event, Universal rather go elsewhere and find other ways to get other ips that they've been meaning to do for quite some time. As for Alien, I mean AVP is as close as we could have gotten for Alien house, it was celebrating the anniversary of AVP but also I think the 35th Anniversary of Alien as well. So I don't think we'll see anything with Alien at the event any time soon.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If Disney have no plans for it, and Universal are willing to meet the price set by Disney, then why wouldn’t Alien be back at HHN?

This is business. There’s always a deal to be had, but depends whether both parties would agree on the terms of that deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ringwraith said:

Long time no see.

Just to be clear, this Fox deal going through would be the end to any plans for the Alien franchise, yeah? And would there be any Xenomorphic plans for something they'd be doing BEFORE the event?

...asking for a friend.

Murdy was recently asked if AHS was coming back.  He said no - because of the Disney deal.  HHNUnofficial has an article with their thoughts on the subject.  Among the IP that would theoretically be off the table is Alien.  With the off-the-chart quality of HHN originals as of late, I'm ok with that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, littlegreenghouls said:

Just watch the stranger things trailer. 
 CAN WE GET ONE FILM THAT IS IN THE 80's WITHOUT PANDERING TO 80's kids? 
  I like 10% of the interactions before there an 80's song, and 80's nod. 

Is Stranger things really a good tv or does everyone love the 80s so much?

It's worth noting that many hallmarks of '80s culture (Star Wars, BTTF) ARE nostalgia trips themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drummanmatt said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If Disney have no plans for it, and Universal are willing to meet the price set by Disney, then why wouldn’t Alien be back at HHN?

This is business. There’s always a deal to be had, but depends whether both parties would agree on the terms of that deal. 

I mean I think it's the higher ups, NBC, Comcast, whoever, but Universal won't work with Disney and I honestly don't think Disney would be up for the offers either, it's stupid and childish but at the end of the day both are businesses that have high places with or without certain things. Alien will not be back it sucks but honestly like what @zombieman said, Universal has more time to really focus on their original properties and not all on the ips. A&D have been really sparking up this past couple years and with no stress having to deal with the ips, I'm fine with the original while Hollywood sorta have that problem because they are an ip only event with some originals. I mean if 20th Century Fox went with Universal it would have been better but who knows anymore.

1 hour ago, zombieman said:

Murdy was recently asked if AHS was coming back.  He said no - because of the Disney deal.  HHNUnofficial has an article with their thoughts on the subject.  Among the IP that would theoretically be off the table is Alien.  With the off-the-chart quality of HHN originals as of late, I'm ok with that.

Yeah and you can tell that Murdy is not happy about that because that shortens the list of properties they've been dreaming to the event, I mean at least they had AVP like us, but it would have been good to see Aliens and others get their due, I'm really loving the originals these past couple of years, they are showing more and more effort in making them stand out more at the event and it's awesome, I love the ips but the originals are where they are really at with me.

I think I talked about it on here before but it would be really cool to see Universal really give John Carpenter a homage on his Apocalypse Trilogy, The Thing, Prince Of Darkness and In The Mouth Of Madness, obviously The Thing has been done quite a few times at the event but if they'd actually do the 1982 original tying with Prince and Madness, it would make an amazing house to go through. Being put right in the middle of the action of The Thing, where the creature on the loose and MacReady is on the hunt for it as well going through some killer scenes from the film and then find ourselves heading into Prince of Darkness and in the church and in the room where the tube of ooze surrounded by crosses and some of the possessed students and come from different corners and leading us into the room with the mirror as the devil's hand is sticking through ready to enter in our world but Donald Pleasances' character comes from the right with the axe and shouting as we run into the next room and enter In The Mouth Of Madness where we find ourselves running into Sutter Kanes' agent with his axe shouting "Do you read Sutter Cane!" and find ourselves in Hobbs End and entering the Black Church and seeing what awaits to enter our world as we see Sutter Cane popping up front of us with finished novel lit up, idk where else to go from there, probably going through the arch back to our world as we running from the creatures and stuff. I mean Prince and Madness are really good and I could see them bringing them to the event or just taking inspiration from them and making some really killer originals that would definitely do those films justice. :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, littlegreenghouls said:

Is Stranger things really a good tv or does everyone love the 80s so much?

Just my opinion here...

There's a reason Goldberg's is a massive hit, and Schooled is on life support.

I grew up in the 80s and it was totally awesome.  

To me, it was the last truly identifiable decade.  I can hear a song and place it in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's.  Same with clothing, hairstyles, and the like.  The 80's was the last time SNL and late night talk shows were actually entertaining.

Decades from 90's onward are indistinguishable.  Yeah, Nirvana was 90's, but I have a tough time categorizing anything else.  Retro has been the thing for the past decade plus, but I can't image a sitcom 20 years from now, set in 2010 for time period laughs.  

But to the Q - if Stranger things was set in a different time period - or in a timeless period, would it still be as big a hit?  Great question.  For me, the 80's theme sure helped me get into it.  It let me connect more with my daughter, who is a big fan.  She got to see what life was like for me.  So while it helped, I think I'd like it regardless of time period.  The casting and characters are compelling, which is half the battle.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

I mean I think it's the higher ups, NBC, Comcast, whoever, but Universal won't work with Disney and I honestly don't think Disney would be up for the offers either, it's stupid and childish but at the end of the day both are businesses that have high places with or without certain things.

So apparently Bob Iger and Brian Roberts were roommates at college (or so the story goes), and have had an unhealthy competition between themselves since then. Comcast at one point did try to buy Disney and failed. Ever since then, Comcast have had a petty feud with Disney. But even with that, I still say if there’s a deal to be had then it all depends on whether Universal (via Comcast) will agree to Disney’s terms. So never say never, but file this under “unlikely” for now. 

As as far as I remember, Disney acquired the theme park rights to Alien years ago when building the Alien Encounter attraction (still my fave Disney attraction ever). They switched any references to Alien our pretty early, but not sure if they still retain them regardless of Fox. In any case, the facts remain the same. Disney and Comcast are businesses. They want to make money. If Disney are not taking the Alien IP forward then they will license it out. All depends on whether Comcast will sanction that deal. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

So apparently Bob Iger and Brian Roberts were roommates at college (or so the story goes), and have had an unhealthy competition between themselves since then. Comcast at one point did try to buy Disney and failed. Ever since then, Comcast have had a petty feud with Disney. But even with that, I still say if there’s a deal to be had then it all depends on whether Universal (via Comcast) will agree to Disney’s terms. So never say never, but file this under “unlikely” for now. 

As as far as I remember, Disney acquired the theme park rights to Alien years ago when building the Alien Encounter attraction (still my fave Disney attraction ever). They switched any references to Alien our pretty early, but not sure if they still retain them regardless of Fox. In any case, the facts remain the same. Disney and Comcast are businesses. They want to make money. If Disney are not taking the Alien IP forward then they will license it out. All depends on whether Comcast will sanction that deal. 

I just don't see it you know, yes they are businesses but if Comcast wants to work with anybody but Disney, they have that right and recently with all the buzz with Disney and Star Wars and Universal and Harry Potter, yes it's competition but I don't think they want to work with Disney, even if Alien is on the table, I don't think Comcast would not care, they'd care for the money purpose because it would definitely draw for HHN, but I don't think they see it because there are many other money elsewhere with other properties such as Stranger Things and Blumhouse, if they are making money with other horror ips elsewhere, Alien and 20th Century Fox are going to be on the backburner for them to not really worry about and going forward with other stuff. I just don't see it, but I mean if they come to their senses and actually sit down and make an agreement, then I'd say it's possible but I'm not gonna bite my tongue and worry about Alien ever coming to the event, it's an amazing franchise and definitely deserves better but who knows, maybe just maybe Blumhouse could be way the way for them to acquire the rights, maybe just maybe. Business is business.

All I say is if there’s enough desire and pressure to make it happen, and the price is met, then it will happen. Never say never, but it is unlikely. Just bugs me when people say “oh Disney own it so will never happen”. Everyone has their price. 

You also need to remember Comcast have a pretty juicy carrot to dangle too. Such a shame most Marvel characters and stories can’t currently be represented in Walt Disney World....

Edited by Drummanmatt

4 hours ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

It looks like it right now, I don't see Universal and Disney sitting and making a deal to let Universal use the ips for their event, Universal rather go elsewhere and find other ways to get other ips that they've been meaning to do for quite some time. As for Alien, I mean AVP is as close as we could have gotten for Alien house, it was celebrating the anniversary of AVP but also I think the 35th Anniversary of Alien as well. So I don't think we'll see anything with Alien at the event any time soon.

3 hours ago, zombieman said:

Well, my eyes tell me otherwise. Unless they're filming something...

1 hour ago, zombieman said:

Just my opinion here...

To me, it was the last truly identifiable decade.  I can hear a song and place it in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's.  Same with clothing, hairstyles, and the like.  The 80's was the last time SNL and late night talk shows were actually entertaining.

Decades from 90's onward are indistinguishable.  Yeah, Nirvana was 90's, but I have a tough time categorizing anything else.  Retro has been the thing for the past decade plus, but I can't image a sitcom 20 years from now, set in 2010 for time period laughs.  I would absolutely HATE to be a kid growing up in today's world, living under the threat that anything you say or do today will be recorded and used against you in a future time.  Such insane pressure to be a good NPC, thinking with the collective.  Perhaps this decade has managed to set itself apart, but not in a good way.

But to the Q - if Stranger things was set in a different time period - or in a timeless period, would it still be as big a hit?  Great question.  For me, the 80's theme sure helped me get into it.  It let me connect more with my daughter, who is a big fan.  She got to see what life was like for me.  So while it helped, I think I'd like it regardless of time period.  The casting and characters are compelling, which is half the battle.

I’m completely sick of hypersensitive PC outrage culture from both ends.

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Drummanmatt said:

All I say is if there’s enough desire and pressure to make it happen, and the price is met, then it will happen. Never say never, but it is unlikely. Just bugs me when people say “oh Disney own it so will never happen”. Everyone has their price. 

You also need to remember Comcast have a pretty juicy carrot to dangle too. Such a shame most Marvel characters and stories can’t currently be represented in Walt Disney World....

Well there ya go, I mean if there is some kind of trade then maybe it's possible but until both companies sit down and talk about it, I just don't see anything happening at the moment is all, pardon me lol if it makes you think that it's clearly a done deal, I'm just saying right now, it looks like the possibility of both companies sitting down talking about it, I don't see it, things can change this year or next year depending on where they go with it. We don't know what Disney's plans are with Fox all we know now is that they own it, if they start showing things to highest bidder around, maybe we might see it happen but right now everything is just at a stand still.

50 minutes ago, themazethinker said:

um...should i even know??

apparently at insideuniversal forums, legacy thinks the codename "jerky" might be a bigfoot maze. that i''ll love to see.

That should be interesting, I really wish they stuck with the Chupcabra maze, I hope that's still in the cards later on down the line as a maze, I'd really love to see where they could with it. Attack Of The Swamp Yeti was one of my favorite next to Pumpkin Guts in Slaughter Sinema, I forgot how many times I literally ran out of that house and turn around just see how cool the costume looked lol. If they do it, they definitely have to give that same b-movie feel that they had with Slaughter Sinema, whether they are trying to make it very campy.

17 minutes ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

That should be interesting, I really wish they stuck with the Chupcabra maze, I hope that's still in the cards later on down the line as a maze, I'd really love to see where they could with it. Attack Of The Swamp Yeti was one of my favorite next to Pumpkin Guts in Slaughter Sinema, I forgot how many times I literally ran out of that house and turn around just see how cool the costume looked lol. If they do it, they definitely have to give that same b-movie feel that they had with Slaughter Sinema, whether they are trying to make it very campy.

it can be scary if done right. imagine hearing this as you walk through the woods

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zombieman said:

Just my opinion here...

Decades from 90's onward are indistinguishable.  Yeah, Nirvana was 90's, but I have a tough time categorizing anything else.  Retro has been the thing for the past decade plus, but I can't image a sitcom 20 years from now, set in 2010 for time period laughs.  I would absolutely HATE to be a kid growing up in today's world, living under the threat that anything you say or do today will be recorded and used against you in a future time.  Such insane pressure to be a good NPC, thinking with the collective.  Perhaps this decade has managed to set itself apart, but not in a good way.

I enjoy the 80's but I feel like if the plot is dull, they just add different time period to spice it up. 
 I some what agree about the 90's being mishap I grew up in the 90's 
  I mean this show won best show few years back, yet I feel like it was bought out. I don't watch much tv.  The actors are good at their craft. I seen a lot of terrible child actors. 
 I feel this show only has two more seasons left before they become too big and start having a spin off show for netflix. 

I don't know think a bigfoot house is good idea.  but who knows I have been wrong before.

Hmm, today is Us's "prerelease" date (seeing it at 7:30 tonight, woo!). Universal has really gone all-in promoting it and clearly expects it to be a moneymaker. If we were to get a grand 1st announcement today, I actually think the odds are high that it's Us-related vs. Stranger Things-related. 

They can hold out on releasing a ST2 announcement because the hype is already there from last year's debut. Us would be a whole new property they can cross-promote and generate early interest from a different sub-audience through.

Seems like the setpieces are unique enough to form it's own house too, if Blumhouse is willing to let that happen.

• Like 1