HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

1 hour ago, Xtine said:

I am having issues even buying tickets-- getting the rush of fear passes and they keep telling me there is an internal error and they are getting IT to look at it. I have an annual pass and am trying to buy them with the discount. The rep has been very nice and opened a file to call back when they're ready-- but I am very surprised as that is a lot of lost revenue if they don't even have all the tickets 

It's not any lost revenue unless you decide, "screw it...I'm not going now!"  Whether you buy your ticket today or the day before the event, it's the same revenue for them. :)

Speaking of lost revenue and other recent posts, Howl O Scream REALLY needs to add a 9/28 date!  Since there is no HHN that Thursday screwing up people's already booked plans (a ton of out of towners, like my group, always go that weekend since it's the first 4 night weekend and covered by the Rush of Fear ticket) there would be a lot of non-Florida residents really interested in attending their event for the first time.  Lot's of potential new fans that might make it an annual trip like hunnylvr...an opportunity the "secondary mature haunt at a major themepark" shouldn't pass up.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

It's not any lost revenue unless you decide, "screw it...I'm not going now!"  Whether you buy your ticket today or the day before the event, it's the same revenue for them. :)

Speaking of lost revenue and other recent posts, Howl O Scream REALLY needs to add a 9/28 date!  Since there is no HHN that Thursday screwing up people's already booked plans (a ton of out of towners, like my group, always go that weekend since it's the first 4 night weekend and covered by the Rush of Fear ticket) there would be a lot of non-Florida residents really interested in attending their event for the first time.  Lot's of potential new fans that might make it an annual trip like hunnylvr...an opportunity the "secondary mature haunt at a major themepark" shouldn't pass up.

I'm confused by how many people have mentioned no 4 day weekend, does this mean that the four day weekend the week before used to be a 3 day one?

OT, but I must say I am pretty PO'd at the decision to close Dragons. Like, I want to make sure I have an open mind, but I really don't want to see Universal replace all its non-screen rides with...well...screen rides. I like big thrills and sure, Hulk provides exactly that (if you sit in the first half of the train it's every bit as good as Kumba IMO--and that is high praise), but Uni needs to be able to provide crowds with more things that Disney can't.

What I personally would have done is re-theme Dragons (again) to Azkaban, and re-track it just like Hulk. Not sure what the color scheme would be, but one side would be Dementors, and the other side would be Death Eaters. Think of how awesome a queue that would be...

Edited by OhHaiInternet95
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

OT, but I must say I am pretty PO'd at the decision to close Dragons

For me the ride died when they stopped "duelling". That was the whole point of the ride, and what made it so good. Without that aspect you have two fairly ok, but not amazing rollercoasters. 

For me they shouldve got rid of it ages ago if they were never going back to duelling. Probably why the theming there is pretty lacking. 

Shame I won't get to ride it one last time, but at the same time I won't lose too much sleep over it going either. Just hope the replacement is going to be something great!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jediwhit82 said:

I'm confused by how many people have mentioned no 4 day weekend, does this mean that the four day weekend the week before used to be a 3 day one?

The last weekend in Sept / 1st in October has traditionally been the first 4 day weekend.  The Rush of Fear pass is good for the "first 10 days of the event" so it was the first 2 3-night weekends and then this weekend that was Thur - Sun.  That might not be 1000% true for all time, but has been for the past 4-5 years that I've been getting the RoF+Express.

We book our room like 10 months in advance (Up to a dozen of us come down from NY so it's a big trip) and were pissed and blindsided by the lack of the event on the 28th.  Our own fault for assuming, but for what we pay for the airfare, room, ticket, and day park tickets (mostly for the stay and scream) this one less day means we're getting 25% less of the point of our trip.  That really sucks.

The first thing we thought was, "well....we can finally check out Howl O Scream this year!" trying to make lemonade out of lemons...but that's not an option.

Edited by Oysterhead00
Me fix stoopid typoes
  • Like 1

I really want to try Howl O Scream but I can't get over the car ride. 3-4 hours round trip (with one being at like 1am) doesn't sound the best. I know they offer free bus service if you have tickets, but that doesn't run during Howl O Scream which I think is a major mistake on their part. 

34 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

For me the ride died when they stopped "duelling". That was the whole point of the ride, and what made it so good. Without that aspect you have two fairly ok, but not amazing rollercoasters. 

For me they shouldve got rid of it ages ago if they were never going back to duelling. Probably why the theming there is pretty lacking. 

Shame I won't get to ride it one last time, but at the same time I won't lose too much sleep over it going either. Just hope the replacement is going to be something great!

If the new ride does not involve screens, I can accept it. I fear the replacement will be a cheap cash grab by Comcast and be yet another Kong/Fallon/F&F. Gringotts is an extremely frustrating ride in that it's so close to being an all-timer of a ride--due in large part to how amazing the queue is (seriously, I could go on and on about how much I love that queue)--but its over utilization of screens keeps it from reaching its full potential.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

The last weekend in Sept / 1st in October has traditionally been the first 4 day weekend.  The Rush of Fear pass is good for the "first 10 days of the event" so it was the first 2 3-night weekends and then this weekend that was Thur - Sun.  That might not be 1000% true for all time, but has been for the past 4-5 years that I've been getting the RoF+Express.

We book our room like 10 months in advance (Up to a dozen of us come down from NY so it's a big trip) and were pissed and blindsided by the lack of the event on the 28th.  Our own fault for assuming, but for what we pay for the airfare, room, ticket, and day park tickets (mostly for the stay and scream) this one less day means we're getting 25% less of the point of our trip.  That really sucks.

The first thing we thought was, "well....we can finally check out Howl O Scream this year!" trying to make lemonade out of lemons...but that's not an option.

When I would go to HOS, I stayed a night in Tampa, or just made it the last night of my trip and flew home from TPA.  Car companies usually don't charge a fee to pick up at MCO and drop off at TPA because it's fairly common.

HOS is really not being smart with their calendar anymore.  Since HHN started doing Rush of Fear, I have been unable to go to HOS because they don't do Thurs or Sun until later in October.  Haven't been to HOS in at least 5 years - and amazingly, had I gone last year there would STILL have been two houses that would have been a repeat to me...

Edited by zombieman

8 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

I'm almost in the same boat, that weekend was what I used for 25 and 26. I didn't see why people were upset because the week before it now got the 4 days instead, thank you for pointing out that everything aside from tickets for most people (at least on here) is booked by now.

As for Dueling Dragons I'm actually ok with it. In America there are dozens of amusement parks such as cedar point, Kings Dominion/Island, six flags, and to some extent, Busch Gardens that have triple the number of roller coasters, and honestly most of theirs are better than universal. Since Universal is the only place to see these type of rides, I prefer them to focus on what makes universal stand out. Screen or no screens.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

I'm almost in the same boat, that weekend was what I used for 25 and 26. I didn't see why people were upset because the week before it now got the 4 days instead, thank you for pointing out that everything aside from tickets for most people (at least on here) is booked by now.

As for Dueling Dragons I'm actually ok with it. In America there are dozens of amusement parks such as cedar point, Kings Dominion/Island, six flags, and to some extent, Busch Gardens that have triple the number of roller coasters, and honestly most of theirs are better than universal. Since Universal is the only place to see these type of rides, I prefer them to focus on what makes universal stand out. Screen or no screens.

BGT's trio of B&Ms is awesome, no doubt. As I said though, I think that if you sit in the right place (front three rows, especially in the middle seats), Hulk is as good as any of them. Again, that's saying something.

IDK, it's funny to see this placid a reaction here when on sites like Theme Park Review they're going NUTS--and not in a good way.

Ok, sorry for sidetracking the conversation. But given the lack of info right now, I think I have a little wiggle room.

17 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

I was pissed about the missing Thursday as well.  This is traditionally one of the weekends we attend every year, but we always have to leave on Sunday.  Since we get no Thursday this year, we are staying until Monday which means I have to burn another vacation day to do it.  I still don't know WHY they eliminated that Thursday.

As for HOS - I didn't even realize their calendar was so light.  We usually plan our HOS night on a Saturday mid-October when HHN is unbearably crowded.  Plus, I don't buy a pass with Saturday in it because the weekends we go, the Saturdays are included... except the one in the middle where we do HOS.

Maybe you should consider renting a condo, Oyster, and staying a little longer if you can next year.  Work it for two weekends and save a TON of money by renting a condo.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

was pissed about the missing Thursday as well.  This is traditionally one of the weekends we attend every year, but we always have to leave on Sunday.  Since we get no Thursday this year, we are staying until Monday which means I have to burn another vacation day to do it.  I still don't know WHY they eliminated that Thursday.

Same boat We were in. Always go the 3rd weekend, and book around Feb.-March. Now we are going the 2nd weekend

we drive down(6 hours)  so was not a big deal to change dates. I have no clue as why they did that, if anything it would seem better to have both 4 day HHN those weeks instead of running into Nov. The park hours for the 28th still have Universal 

closing at 5:00. I wonder if some company rented it that day, seems that would be overly expensive giving what money 

HHN makes in one night.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think we're not gonna hear a thing until that countdown reaches zero. 

Can you imagine them not saying anything then, either, and coming up with the same BS excuse as the day they hinted at a 2:30 announcement the day before the website theme dropped?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, traveller said:

Same boat We were in. Always go the 3rd weekend, and book around Feb.-March. Now we are going the 2nd weekend

we drive down(6 hours)  so was not a big deal to change dates. I have no clue as why they did that, if anything it would seem better to have both 4 day HHN those weeks instead of running into Nov. The park hours for the 28th still have Universal 

closing at 5:00. I wonder if some company rented it that day, seems that would be overly expensive giving what money 

HHN makes in one night.

Maybe it's a night exclusively for employees and family? Who knows. 

Got my vip tour booked up for Sunday 24th September, just debating whether to get rush of fear ticket too with one night express. Just thinking might be a good idea to do the scarezones properly one night (maybe after blue man group), and another night with everything. 

Yep, I'm doing as much as I can while in Orlando. Been 7 years since I was last there and intend to make the most of it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OhHaiInternet95 said:

One more OT thing--since it's been (almost) two months now, has VB gotten any better?

Haven't been able to get back there since May, but the general

buzz is yes. They've worked out a ton of issues from rushing to open on schedule and from what I've seen, it's actually a super

nice place to chill after the afternoon rain since most everyone abandons the place. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

Maybe you should consider renting a condo, Oyster, and staying a little longer if you can next year.  Work it for two weekends and save a TON of money by renting a condo.  Just a thought.

We rent a big 3BR + lockout room suite at a resort...that is Sun - Sun.  A few of us fly back Sun morning due to personal commitments and the rest of us cram into a little townhouse type place (that is a second home for one of our parents) and head to the airport early Mon morning.  The idea of flying down a day earlier on the first Sat, cramming in house, then driving to Tampa and back all in one day, then moving all our stuff back up to Orlando for the week the next day....to then go back to the townhouse Sunday night after HHN...to quote the great Sgt Murtaugh, "I'm too old for this shit." :)

5 hours ago, traveller said:

HHN makes in one night.

I heard there was a private event that night...not sure if that was speculation or someone "in the know" commenting/confirming.  No clue where I saw it...but there was a lot of conversation around it, they said that, and it seemed to be accepted as fact.

Edited by Oysterhead00
No wonder I couldn't figure out how to multiquote! You just quickly quote reply to different posts :)

50 minutes ago, StupidStupidDan said:

Sorry. At least you're not in my situation.

My BIG weekly meeting starts at 11:00 on Thursdays. I've been trying to figure out a way to get it moved or cancelled all week.

I've already blocked my calendar out and told my boss no meetings. She's completely understanding of the situation and will probably pop by when it's time to see what the fuss is all about haha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StupidStupidDan said:

Sorry. At least you're not in my situation.

My BIG weekly meeting starts at 11:00 on Thursdays. I've been trying to figure out a way to get it moved or cancelled all week.

Oh THAT SUCKS!  At least I only have to wait until 10am... because I am assuming the 11am is Florida time?