HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

5 hours ago, b-wolf95 said:

Umm... some of those years didn't even have IPs, so just judging from all the past Houses of the Year is a bit unfair.

I think that a fairer assessment would be to only look at the years that emphasized the IPs (2007, 2009, 2012-16), since they're what started this discussion in the first place.

2007 - IP

2009 - IP (could make the argument that it's an original)

2012 - Original

2013 - IP

2014 - Tie

2015 - Original

2016 - IP

Counting it up, we've got 5-3 in favor of IPs (4-4 if you count Dracula: LoB as an original).  Admittedly, the IPs did have a numbers advantage for these years, but my point still stands: IPs can and have put out amazing houses.  

Also, overall house rankings might actually be better in this case.  Do we have those for the listed year?

I should've clarified in my second post, I started counting at 2007. I'm smart enough to know not to count the years that didn't even have IPs. 

Edited by QueenoftheBunnies
  • Like 2

No announcements today it seems....

We have four boxes left on the soul collectors thing, and 4 original houses. Could these be videos of each house introducing it? That could be pretty cool. 

Sure as hell is better than more wallpapers!

Edited by Drummanmatt

20 hours ago, Ringwraith said:

They used to do 6 things or sometimes 7 things nobody has heard of to 0 or 1 thing and it worked just fine, earning them titles as best Halloween event in the country.

It worked just fine...made it the best event in the country....so why not rest on their laurels?  

They should have kept it 5 houses, why bother increasing them?

Should have kept it a few nights in late October, why bother to extend the event?

People show up on the weekends, why extend it to weeknights?

We are very successful in the sedan and coupe market, why would Pontiac expand to trucks and SUVs?

Their cars are the new hotness...bigger is better, why make a more economic and fuel efficient Hummer?

Everybody on Wall St owns a PDA, why would Palm develop a smart phone or tablet?

Everybody loves the mini keyboard, why would Blackberry develop a touchscreen when people are happy with the buttons?

People love brick and mortar stores, they'll never buy stuff like clothes without trying them on or Refridgerators without physically touching it first....why would KMart, Sears, JC Penny, Macy's, Circuit City, Lechmeres, etc, etc, etc change and embrace new shopping models and the internet when they have successful anchor stores at every mall in every town in the country?

Times change, the public changes, what people are willing to spend their money on changes.  If the public hated IPs and just wanted originals, they'd all go to Howl O' Scream (yes, that's a gross exaggeration but you get the point).  The trend now, and for the foreseeable future, is that people are comfortable with what they know and are proving it with their wallets.   The crowds at XIV where nothing compared to what they are now...the number of people who come on a MUCH extended run is insane.  

There's a reason they do the user surveys every year...and it's not to hear the 1% paying customers who are super fans like us on these sites.  It's to see what people want to see at the event and what they are willing to spend their hard earned dollars to attend.  There's also a question about what they think of the website and if they found the info they wanted in a timely manner and all that jazz.  ALL the stuff everybody complains about.  They aren't idiots who just live in a bubble and make shit up as they go along.  There are studies, sales metrics, sales breakdowns tied into when they announce stuff, etc, etc, etc.  

I think it's funny I'm the person constantly defending what they are doing....to people who love the event, are going regardless, yet still get off on complaining about every aspect of the event not living up to their personal ideal event and thinking that it's because marketing is too stupid to figure out what they want and that the other hundreds of thousands of paying customers don't matter.

PS - GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

I'm honestly surprised on how long they're taking to get all this info out. We've got roughly 3 weeks before the event, and we still have 4 houses left to reveal. If they keep I down to 1 more big IP reveal and one announcement for 3 originals that would make sense.

4 minutes ago, SeaBass said:

I'm honestly surprised on how long they're taking to get all this info out. We've got roughly 3 weeks before the event, and we still have 4 houses left to reveal. If they keep I down to 1 more big IP reveal and one announcement for 3 originals that would make sense.

One IP left and 4 originals left

On 8/21/2017 at 6:40 AM, OhHaiInternet95 said:

^It looks like the house in the MIB tent will be the budget house. With nine houses, that's to be expected.

Well if it is like the forecast is saying a mash-up of Insidious, Purge and Sinister then a budget shouldn't hit this house to hard I feel...like since Insidious and Purge are returns to the event hopefully they still have a lot of stuff stored for them somewhere and can still look like a quality house and just investments in whatever is needed for Sinister? Idk, just a thought. I loved Insidious when it first came around so if they can repeat parts of that house then I would be fine and happy...however AWIL I thought I would be happy with two times around and the second time I found myself disappointed and skipping it regularly. 

2 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Also in non-HHN news... anyone see that John Carpenter is touring this fall? I WILL be in Chicago to see him play!

You're going to have a blast! I saw him in Barcelona last year and it was amazing. Highly recommend catching his live show.

15 minutes ago, Tich0las said:

You're going to have a blast! I saw him in Barcelona last year and it was amazing. Highly recommend catching his live show.

Ive always told my wife that JC is the only celeb I would be all fan boy about. Dude is a legend.

Side note... Barcelona is my favorite city on the planet!

1 minute ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Ive always told my wife that JC is the only celeb I would be all fan boy about. Dude is a legend.

Side note... Barcelona is my favorite city on the planet!

Couldn't agree more about Barcelona. 

Going back to our topic...

Still surprised Blumhouse hasn't been announced yet. I'm starting to think there's a reason for the delay. Perhaps something changed and we have more than Sinister, Purge, and Insidious in the house. 

7 minutes ago, Tich0las said:

Still surprised Blumhouse hasn't been announced yet. I'm starting to think there's a reason for the delay. Perhaps something changed and we have more than Sinister, Purge, and Insidious in the house. 

Either that or they originally wanted to give us more and now they aren't able to. I'm hoping they do something other than Insidious and Purge in that house. Sinister should be great but I would also love to see Oculus, and Hush. They could do some really cool stuff with Oculus. 

Forget "Blumhouse of Horrors" for a second... the bigger question is... why haven't they announced the 4 original houses yet? I mean, come on... 22 days until the event. Basically 3 weeks until it begins.... and 5 houses left to announce (2 for Hollywood)...

Of course Knotts still has 5 houses to announce as well, but they at least announced their "reveal event" would be August 31st (due to having to announce their new coaster opening next year)

1 hour ago, WESKER69 said:

Forget "Blumhouse of Horrors" for a second... the bigger question is... why haven't they announced the 4 original houses yet? I mean, come on... 22 days until the event. Basically 3 weeks until it begins.... and 5 houses left to announce (2 for Hollywood)...

Of course Knotts still has 5 houses to announce as well, but they at least announced their "reveal event" would be August 31st (due to having to announce their new coaster opening next year)

Aren't our originals typically last? If Blumhouse was held up, the originals would be too.

• Like 3

On August 17, 2017 at 1:40 PM, WESKER69 said:

^he's not wrong... while I'm sure some of these SZs will be "decent", it does come across as lazy...

Altars of Horror - They claim they've never done this before, except they have... in 2005

Purge - Gee.. way to stick to the plot of the movie with FL being the winning vote to elect the senator so should could do away with The Purge

Trick-R-Treat - Oh hi 2008... they even used the term "inspired by" which is different from "based on". Instead of the Skoolhouse & bus, they have "front doors".

Invasion - Oh look something that is actually NOT a rehash of a previous year

Festival of the Deadliest - Even they don't seem to know what is going on in Hollywood Blvd... womp womp

Roaming Clowns - Um... hi -insert year here- that also had chinsaw wielding clowns.

Dear Orlando... after you drop a bomb like the ending of B&T, you should've just done a full site reveal to try & distract the masses. Good luck next year, you're going to need it.

Altars- what are you talking about done in 2005? This has never been done before ever

Purge- *crickets*

Trick R treat- dude every HHN fanboy jizzes at the thought of 2008. Anything like it aint a bad thing.  Lol if you've seen the movie you'd know how authentic the sets are rn, 

Invasion- yeah you can admit it's cool dude, no worries

Festival- lol when have scare zones ever been focused on matching the environment? I guess every zone in 21 and 18 sucked on that alone.

The best is when you said "Good luck next year, you're going to need it". Universal makes TRILLIONS off this event man, you're out of your god damn mind if you think for a second meh announcement planning is gonna stop the masses for an awesome time at pretty much the worlds biggest halloween event. 

look y'all its cool to have negative opinions because yeah the event has lowered in quality. Just make actual points next time

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Tich0las said:

Aren't our originals typically last? If Blumhouse was held up, the originals would be too.

Except when your event is right around the corner... and you have ONE house that is an IP... it'd probably be smarter to announce your 4 originals until you get the IP crap sorted out.

3 hours ago, PartyCityGhost said:

Altars- what are you talking about done in 2005? This has never been done before ever

Purge- *crickets*

Trick R treat- dude every HHN fanboy jizzes at the thought of 2008. Anything like it aint a bad thing.  Lol if you've seen the movie you'd know how authentic the sets are rn, 

Invasion- yeah you can admit it's cool dude, no worries

Festival- lol when have scare zones ever been focused on matching the environment? I guess every zone in 21 and 18 sucked on that alone.

The best is when you said "Good luck next year, you're going to need it". Universal makes TRILLIONS off this event man, you're out of your god damn mind if you think for a second meh announcement planning is gonna stop the masses for an awesome time at pretty much the worlds biggest halloween event. 

look y'all its cool to have negative opinions because yeah the event has lowered in quality. Just make actual points next time

Oh this is cute. But your attack efforts are futile when you don't know what you're talking about or how to actually read the original post carefully. But here, I'll play along and break it down for you...

When it comes to "Altars" having "mascots/icons" from the houses all in one scarezone, it actually has been done before. In 2005, the "Terra Gaurd Run" was the entrance scarezone in Port of Entry. It featured characters that represented each house/"land" of Terra Cruentus. So don't kid yourself into thinking this is a "new" concept.

Trick R Treat... I'm well aware of what the movie entails, I watch it every year. As for being authentic? Its recreations of front doors, that doesn't exactly make it any better than 2008's scarezone (nor something to rave about). The ONLY plus is the inclusion of Sam & the fire-spewing jack-o-lantern.

You clearly missed the point in my response about "Invasion". It was snark in regards to it not being something rehashed. However, they dropped the ball with doing this one AFTER closing Disaster. Maybe they saved tentacle tank prop, but I doubt it.

I never said anything about a scarezone matching the environment in regards to "Festival of the Deadliest". I said they don't know what they're doing with that particular street in the park. They call "FOTD" all the scarezones, they call it street experiences, they call it a scarezone itself. They're doing a terrible job at knowing what it is they're advertising. Never once said it didn't match the environment... that'd be stupid.

The 'Good luck next year" is in regards to them canceling B&T after this year. A show that has been with the event for 26 years out of 27 years. Never once said it had anything to do with their "announcement planning". And thats cute that you praise Universal's event so much, keep drinking that kool-aid, but there are better events & even singular haunts out there that are leagues ahead of HHN, even if they don't have the "known" brand. But just remember, Knotts has been doing it first & for 45 years in California.

Good golly, Miss Molly!

So I didn’t make it on to this forum for spec/conversation for 26(I did make the event though!), and I’m severely late to the party this year. My apologies and deepest regrets. But, I just spent the last three days doing nothing but reading all 148 pages of the spec to catch up. It honestly doesn’t look like I missed much, though it was very interesting (I'm talking aobout you, vampire clowns). And I don’t think that that is a good thing, either.

I just want to say I’m glad to see a good amount of active and new people on this forum. And Hello!

Quick comment to hunnylvr and phreeq, ya’ll are life goals. I wish I had the clapback abilities you guys do.

I’m having mixed feelings about this year; I am absolutely devastated that B&T is leaving. I literally force my group to see it every year, since I started in 2014. I’m not really upset that Purge is back, because I do love that franchise. I’m eager for Saw and I think if they do it right, The Shining. The originals I always love, and I’m not sure what to think about AHS(I don’t really watch it) and Blumhouse(It’s a mashup, and I hope I know what’s in it). I honestly didn’t care for AoV last year, so there’s that. I think the scarezones are pretty good this year, and Invasion! is my most exciting, I think (I love Sci-Fi). I agree with those who say the scarezone with the baddies from the houses is a little much, I personally like waiting to see who’s the villain in each house. But to each their own.  Trick r Treat is my second most can’t-wait-to-see-it zone, I love the rules!

To comment on that shirt, I hope that’s not it because I really liked last years v-neck it was simple on the front and I was comfortable wearing it pretty much anywhere. I mean, I’m a mom now, so I don’t really wear graphic t’s anymore.

On another note, I’m turning 21 in September, and I am essentially going to celebrate my birthday. Are there any must have drinks off the top of anyone’s head? I want to try something in Diagon, because I absolutely love HP but I definitely will be having more than one drink throughout the night. lol.

Man, I’ve missed this forum and I didn’t even realize it was this much till I got back on it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1