HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

10 minutes ago, Drummanmatt said:

Oh right. I thought it was in Downtown Disney for some reason as part of the redevelopment of Pleasure Island

Nope, but was is replacing that particular spot is a restaurant called the Edison that seems like it will have some very present and cool theming.

3 minutes ago, Jediwhit82 said:

Nope, but was is replacing that particular spot is a restaurant called the Edison that seems like it will have some very present and cool theming.

Still no Adventurers Club. Nothing will ever be as unique and brilliant as that was ever :'(

Having said that, things move on. The world changes, and we all have to change and adapt with it. That is the way of things. I'll just have to make sure I have a kungaloosh in its memory, with the full ceremonious actions too haha

New content unlocked on official website. Pics from original mazes. Looks amazing!

Kind of wanted to point this out. Murdy from Hollywood pointed out that their last 2 Maze Announcements could be on Monday. Which I believe Orlando is following a pattern. They released a box yesterday and a box today. So far 4. If they release one tommorow and one on Sunday then all of the boxes are revealed. So...

Full Reveal Monday?

27 minutes ago, Jediwhit82 said:

Those pictures are awesome, I love that I have no feel for the theme on a lot of these, like the graffiti, where is that from?

My guess is Scarecrow, scarecrow, hive, voodoo, voodoo, and angels vs demons x2. 

Graffiti would be voodoo house

Edited by Drummanmatt

6 hours ago, Ringwraith said:

I mean if you want to settle, that's cool. It just comes down to the fact there's an entire galaxy of content we could be creating but we're just recreating things that already exist. I get that it's a business decision, but if we had one or two hard hitting IP's per year, we'd be more than ok.

This is an event for EVERYBODY.  Not just you, me, and the thousand or so people on these forum who pour over the details and anazyle every tweet and every frame of video released.  It's for thousands and thousands of people who attend, many for one night, who come in with no understanding of the crazy backstories for the event.  What do you think is more rewarding to them?  Something they are familiar with and can "live the movie" as is the point of a movie-based themepark, or something awesome but that is really hard to figure out.  Why does this house have cowboys and ghosts?  Why are Penn and Teller nuked?  Why does this building have lots of water and Nine Inch Nails blasting?  I thought this was supposed to be an Alice in Wonderland house, why are we in an asylum?  Why are there monster nurses in a war?  Etc.  If you go in knowing the back story, sure, the originals are fun...but EVERYBODY knows the backstories from the movies.   Look at in reverse, if you had never seen a Saw movie,  the previous house (and I'm assuming this year's house) would make zero sense.  What the hell is that thing on that lady's head?  Why is there a puppet on a tricycle?  Why did this idiot crawl into a room full of barbed wire?  Ash vs Evil Dead is the same thing....why doesn't this guy have hand?  Why would a chainsaw and a shotgun be his choices of weapons, that's stupid!  (you'd have to have watched the show or movies to understand that Ash being a moron is part of the story and the charm...without context it looks stupid)  What the hell is up with this puppet?  How is a puppet scary?  etc, etc, etc (don't want to spoil anything from the series, but you get my point).

A known property enhances the experience for most people.  There are obviously exceptions, but it's certainly true.  A house that takes 3 minutes to walk through has exactly 3 minutes of context for you to figure it out unless you pour over the website, tweets, forums, etc, etc, etc.  Maybe you have a one paragraph synopsis if you read the blog.  A movie-based house has at least 90min worth of context before you even walk through the door so you go in understanding the storyline and get to live it.

A movie themepark with almost NOTHING original in it (is there anything original in the park now other than Rip Rocket?  Dueling Dragons is closing and also somehow considered Potter-related now, everything is IP based) has a seasonal event...it SHOULD be movie based.  It would be like Sea World having an event based on lions and tigers or Disney World having an event with Looneytoons characters.  

This isn't settling, it's evolving.  It's living up to the (perceived) mission statement of a Movie Theme Park that has active TV studios on property.  It's a success story that the event is so well respected in the industry that people who are VERY protective of their IPs are willing to let a theme park take over their babies and create a fluid and evolving experience.  

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, Oysterhead00 said:

A movie themepark with almost NOTHING original in it (is there anything original in the park now other than Rip Rocket?  Dueling Dragons is closing and also somehow considered Potter-related now, everything is IP based) has a seasonal event...it SHOULD be movie based.  It would be like Sea World having an event based on lions and tigers or Disney World having an event with Looneytoons characters.  

This isn't settling, it's evolving.  It's living up to the (perceived) mission statement of a Movie Theme Park that has active TV studios on property.  It's a success story that the event is so well respected in the industry that people who are VERY protective of their IPs are willing to let a theme park take over their babies and create a fluid and evolving experience.  

This this 100% all of this. 

Also, there are so many negative comments on here good lord people. Use your energy for something better than endless bitching on a forum for a Halloween event. 

Anyways, has anyone been able to figure out how "hive" relates to a vampire house? Is there a queen bee vampire ordering around her vampire workers? Omg did I just figure it out? I wonder if we're going to face a giant Queen Vampire at the end of the house final boss level style. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

This this 

Anyways, has anyone been able to figure out how "hive" relates to a vampire house? Is there a queen bee vampire ordering around her vampire workers? Omg did I just figure it out? I wonder if we're going to face a giant Queen Vampire at the end of the house final boss level style. 

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe something where the vampires are blind (or something) and randomly pop up but ignore you until directed by the queen to attack? Basically like walking through a life sized ants nest. 

If thats the case then the scare actors are going to be more feral. That would be a very unique take on the vampire trope

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

This this 

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe something where the vampires are blind (or something) and randomly pop up but ignore you until directed by the queen to attack? Basically like walking through a life sized ants nest. 

If thats the case then the scare actors are going to be more feral. That would be a very unique take on the vampire trope

1 hour ago, QueenoftheBunnies said:

This this 100% all of this. 

Also, there are so many negative comments on here good lord people. Use your energy for something better than endless bitching on a forum for a Halloween event. 

A hive like nature is very common amongst vampire lore. There usually is a "queen" or Master vampire, if you prefer. An elder vampire who controls all his/her little drone vampires. So, you've probably hit the nail on the head. 

From Dracula to The Lost Boys to Salem's Lot, a "head" vampire is a common part of the lore. 

Edit: The head vampire is usually the one who creates the "drones". Also, inviting in the head vampire negates all the rules and potential power of objects such as crucifixes and garlic. Killing the head usually kills the vampires he/she made. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mystiquephreeq said:

A hive like nature is very common amongst vampire lore. There usually is a "queen" or Master vampire, if you prefer. An elder vampire who controls all his/her little drone vampires. So, you've probably hit the nail on the head. 

From Dracula to The Lost Boys to Salem's Lot, a "head" vampire is a common part of the lore. 

Edit: The head vampire is usually the one who creates the "drones". Also, inviting in the head vampire negates all the rules and potential power of objects such as crucifixes and garlic. Killing the head usually kills the vampires he/she made. 

Very true, but you never hear of a group of vampires turned by one person being referred to as a hive. Which makes me think this is going to be more feral. Imagine how scary it would be to have to make your way through a room full of scareactors ignoring you until a cue, at which point they notice you and attack! If done right that would be utterly terrifying!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Midnight Detective said:

I get what you're saying, but there isn't a single situation where this combination of weapons isn't amazing

giphy.gif

For fighting ghosts. Just sayin'

Having said that Ash is awesome!

Edited by Drummanmatt
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

This is an event for EVERYBODY.  Not just you, me, and the thousand or so people on these forum who pour over the details and anazyle every tweet and every frame of video released.  It's for thousands and thousands of people who attend, many for one night, who come in with no understanding of the crazy backstories for the event.  What do you think is more rewarding to them?  Something they are familiar with and can "live the movie" as is the point of a movie-based themepark, or something awesome but that is really hard to figure out.  Why does this house have cowboys and ghosts?  Why are Penn and Teller nuked?  Why does this building have lots of water and Nine Inch Nails blasting?  I thought this was supposed to be an Alice in Wonderland house, why are we in an asylum?  Why are there monster nurses in a war?  Etc.  If you go in knowing the back story, sure, the originals are fun...but EVERYBODY knows the backstories from the movies.   Look at in reverse, if you had never seen a Saw movie,  the previous house (and I'm assuming this year's house) would make zero sense.  What the hell is that thing on that lady's head?  Why is there a puppet on a tricycle?  Why did this idiot crawl into a room full of barbed wire?  Ash vs Evil Dead is the same thing....why doesn't this guy have hand?  Why would a chainsaw and a shotgun be his choices of weapons, that's stupid!  (you'd have to have watched the show or movies to understand that Ash being a moron is part of the story and the charm...without context it looks stupid)  What the hell is up with this puppet?  How is a puppet scary?  etc, etc, etc (don't want to spoil anything from the series, but you get my point).

A known property enhances the experience for most people.  There are obviously exceptions, but it's certainly true.  A house that takes 3 minutes to walk through has exactly 3 minutes of context for you to figure it out unless you pour over the website, tweets, forums, etc, etc, etc.  Maybe you have a one paragraph synopsis if you read the blog.  A movie-based house has at least 90min worth of context before you even walk through the door so you go in understanding the storyline and get to live it.

This is one of the best posts I've read on here. Pretty eye opening actually and I've come to the conclusion of what I'm really trying to get across. I want THEME PARKS to dictate what ends up being popular. I want more Pirates of the Caribbean stories where a film was created because of the ride. I want the theme park and entertainment designers to be the next creators of material that the general public will want to see more of; no matter the medium.

However, in that same breath, I'm realizing that may not happen for awhile, based on the amount of funding necessary to build that world, without knowing if consumers will grab ahold of it or not. However, I guess it can't be worse than making a $200million box office flop, so maybe there is money out there for those types of investments.

Thanks for the patience that let me figure out what point it is I was trying to make.

Edited by Ringwraith
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Drummanmatt said:

Very true, but you never hear of a group of vampires turned by one person being referred to as a hive. Which makes me think this is going to be more feral. Imagine how scary it would be to have to make your way through a room full of scareactors ignoring you until a cue, at which point they notice you and attack! If done right that would be utterly terrifying!

You mean like this?

"Type Two vampires are former humans who have been bitten by a Type One vampire and the vampire uses his blood to mix with theirs to turn them. Type Two vampires have both limited intelligence and almost no free will, serving almost entirely as an extension of the Type One vampire that bit them. Type Twos have an "unquenchable thirst" for blood, yet are extremely allergic to ultraviolet light, resulting in them shunning daytime for night activities.[2]"

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_(Stephen_King)

That wiki does a decent job of explaining King's lore and some of the discrepancies found within his canon. Primarily, the inconsistency of Barlow's more human look compared to all the other "Grandfathers" in his books. 

The "queen" is simply a "Grandfather". Type Twos are the drones. I wish the new Tower movie would have focused more on the inhabitants of the Dixie Pig. They act in the fashion you speak in Song of Susannah, if I remember correctly. 

*points to profile pic* That isn't just a cute phrase with a horror twist that I found fitting for the forum. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

You mean like this?

"Type Two vampires are former humans who have been bitten by a Type One vampire and the vampire uses his blood to mix with theirs to turn them. Type Two vampires have both limited intelligence and almost no free will, serving almost entirely as an extension of the Type One vampire that bit them. Type Twos have an "unquenchable thirst" for blood, yet are extremely allergic to ultraviolet light, resulting in them shunning daytime for night activities.[2]"

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_(Stephen_King)

That wiki does a decent job of explaining King's lore and some of the discrepancies found within his canon. Primarily, the inconsistency of Barlow's more human look compared to all the other "Grandfathers" in his books. 

The "queen" is simply a "Grandfather". Type Twos are the drones. I wish the new Tower movie would have focused more on the inhabitants of the Dixie Pig. They act in the fashion you speak in Song of Susannah, if I remember correctly. 

*points to profile pic* That isn't just a cute phrase with a horror twist that I found fitting for the forum. 

Kind of, but the name "Hive" makes me think there might be more to it.  Hive makes me think of something more like worker bees. They mindlessly get on with the task at hand, ignoring everything and everyone. It's the queen that sends signals to them to do things. So I'm imagining these vampires are going to be more feral, more animalistic and less autonomous than the type two description. 

Ever play "The last of us"? They had lots of different kinds of zombies to get around, including ones that were blind and relied entirely on sound. I'm thinking that might be a good fit for Hive - vampires that are more animalistic, more decayed, etc.

The rumours going around were that it would be a completely different take on vampires, so trying to think a little outside the box on this one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StupidStupidDan said:

In case anyone missed it, Murdy confirmed something coming on Monday. Should be Blumhouse for both coasts.

Bloody hope so! This feels like the only house with a bit of uncertainty over what exactly is in there. 

just out of interest - do Universal stream the opening scareamonies? Or will there be official videos uploaded after? I'd love to see it just can't be there in person

10 hours ago, Ringwraith said:

This is one of the best posts I've read on here. Pretty eye opening actually and I've come to the conclusion of what I'm really trying to get across. I want THEME PARKS to dictate what ends up being popular. I want more Pirates of the Caribbean stories where a film was created because of the ride. I want the theme park and entertainment designers to be the next creators of material that the general public will want to see more of; no matter the medium.

However, in that same breath, I'm realizing that may not happen for awhile, based on the amount of funding necessary to build that world, without knowing if consumers will grab ahold of it or not. However, I guess it can't be worse than making a $200million box office flop, so maybe there is money out there for those types of investments.

Thanks for the patience that let me figure out what point it is I was trying to make.

Be careful not to feed my ego....I'm just some idiot who works in Marketing trying to defend the Marketing Team from people continually crapping on them :) 

1 hour ago, Drummanmatt said:

Bloody hope so! This feels like the only house with a bit of uncertainty over what exactly is in there. 

just out of interest - do Universal stream the opening scareamonies? Or will there be official videos uploaded after? I'd love to see it just can't be there in person

Officially stream?  I don't think so.  But there is usually someone persiscoping it or something.  They usually post the links at sites like this.

Edited by Oysterhead00
Spaced stuff out to make more sense

On 8/25/2017 at 2:58 PM, Oysterhead00 said:

Great logic!  So Howl o scream at Busch Gardens should have only houses based off beer, zoos, and Rollercoasters, while Knotts Berry Farm should have houses based on cows. 

I've been going since it was Fright Nights minus a couple of years (yes I'm old) and have watched it evolve.  Original content built the event for 15 years and IPs did not. Yes, there was a couple of houses here and there but they most certainly were not the driving force that made the event what it is today. Today it's only about money and not content. We all love scare zones and houses but the event was much more than that. The themes, the overall atmosphere was of a scary Halloween event.  I akin it to movies being made... Original content or endless remakes. Remaking a house so I can live the movies is not original or scary no matter how anyone spins it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You know, I'm new to Horror Nights. I've gone every year since 25 and have already purchased and planned my trip this year. I've followed the event since 2007 but wasn't able to come down until recently and have made a decision to make it every year from now on if I'm able. 

Back when I first started following the event there wasn't many IP's being used. The website used to be awesome and I would check it all summer for updates and backstories. Now with that stated, I don't believe we would have Horror Nights on the scale we have today if it wasn't for IP's. We would still have the event and die hard fans but times have changed. 

You see it at all the parks with IP's drawing bigger crowds, such is life. Universal, Comcast, and all the different theme park companies are businesses first and have to make decisions based on the business and what makes money. I came to HHN 25 and lost my mind with how good everything was. Even the less popular houses blew me away because of how well done they were. I don't have anything on that scale where I live and appreciate the time and effort that goes into the event. 

It has even become a tradition to watch all the IP movies and shows before going just to spot Easter eggs and compare the details which is smart for the IP holders and Universal. I understand both sides of the argument but since Harry Potter and Walking Dead there is no turning back. Allow yourself to be fully immersed while at the event and never forget that everyone is not blessed or lucky enough to be able to attend an event this big.  Some don't have the luxury to even complain about an IP house vs an Original content house.  

I'm not saying we should settle but I am saying don't get lost in nostalgia. There are many sides to this issue and I think it's great to have a space to share those conflicting points of view. I love the passion this event inspires and I look forward to this year and the years to come as this beast grows larger! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Be careful not to feed my ego....I'm just some idiot who works in Marketing trying to defend the Marketing Team from people continually crapping on them :) 

I'm also in marketing.  For a Fortune 200 company.  And I crap on USO for their laziness and lack of preparedness.  

If our team handled our marketing and advertising like this, we'd be lambasted...  Deservedly.  

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

3 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

I'm also in marketing.  For a Fortune 200 company.  And I crap on USO for their laziness and lack of preparedness.  

If our team handled our marketing and advertising like this, we'd be lambasted...  Deservedly.  

Fortune 20 company if this is a dick measuring contest.  

And if you delivered the results that HHN has, you would NOT be lambasted.  You'd be given a big fat bonus.  

• Like 4