Halloween Horror Nights 26 Wishful Thinking

Mark M.

i'm pretty excited to see how this plays out- a more abstract retelling of The Exorcist is one that i'd really, really like to see, seeing as surreal horror is always fun. even though this will probably have a coherent plot line to it- following the one from the movie, obviously- the way it'll express it seems really interesting. 

just saying, a kind of bible-themed transition thing like that used in the singapore house "True Ghost Stories: The MRT" (https://dejiki.smugmug.com/photos/i-MJX2GC4/0/L/i-MJX2GC4-L.jpg ) would be interesting.

check off number two..

Ok so the list lines up perfectly so far.

This could be really good. Although their touting "first-time ever" is a bit of a misnomer. Exorcist was portrayed in 1998's Unnatural History house as well as at the Fright nights in the parade. I guess if it didn't happen in this decade it never happened lol. I know... I know... they mean first time ever as a full house.

• Like 1

But translating The Exorcist presented us with many unique tests and questions. One big question was, “How do you adapt a film where most of the story takes place in a single bedroom?”

The answer we landed on was first to break down and assess all the visuals and moments from the film. Piece together every moment within that bedroom and examine why it was intense, scary or even vile. What textures can we reconstruct differently, sometimes in an incredibly abstract way?

The famous “pea soup” scene for instance. What if we were surrounded in the materials of the retch-covered bed? What if those layers of mattress padding literally enveloped us? And let’s be honest, traversing through a vomit-covered bed is pretty horrifying and disgusting by itself. Now add a possessed girl into the mix!

Translation: Hang vomit covered mattresses in your face. 

I get that they are thinking outside the box so that is good. It will definitely be a challenge. I hope they use the spider walk scene and the Iraq dig when they find the Pazuzu statue. I imagine they will reuse the Exorcist light flash gag from Dead end as well.

After seeing Shadybrook and 1428 Elm Street last year, I think that this year will have the best facades we have ever seen. With the detail on those two applied to the Sawyer House and hopefully the street lamp area of Georgetown DC it will be a great start no matter how the mazes are.

21 minutes ago, Jediwhit82 said:

After seeing Shadybrook and 1428 Elm Street last year, I think that this year will have the best facades we have ever seen. With the detail on those two applied to the Sawyer House and hopefully the street lamp area of Georgetown DC it will be a great start no matter how the mazes are.

Funny enough, 1428 looked better at HHN17 than it did last year.

2 hours ago, lespectre said:

well SHIT

the more this goes on, the more i'm really, really starting to think/hope/pray that this is going to be a julian year. i'd really love to see our usher back in the spotlight, if nothing else

like, two announcements and both for classic movies? something's going on down in universal, for sure

I really hope your right! The Usher is a great Icon and having these two classic movies as houses is already a great start for the Usher's 2nd time in the spotlight. Still feel like Krampus will be a house so that makes three movies. Have yet to see a "solid" rumor list of houses so this one took me by total surprise. Never thought we would get an Exorcist house because of how limiting the locations are and the scares a quite a bit different than more modern horror movies. Going to be interesting to see how they pull this one off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDW said:

But translating The Exorcist presented us with many unique tests and questions. One big question was, “How do you adapt a film where most of the story takes place in a single bedroom?”

The answer we landed on was first to break down and assess all the visuals and moments from the film. Piece together every moment within that bedroom and examine why it was intense, scary or even vile. What textures can we reconstruct differently, sometimes in an incredibly abstract way?

The famous “pea soup” scene for instance. What if we were surrounded in the materials of the retch-covered bed? What if those layers of mattress padding literally enveloped us? And let’s be honest, traversing through a vomit-covered bed is pretty horrifying and disgusting by itself. Now add a possessed girl into the mix!

Translation: Hang vomit covered mattresses in your face. 

I get that they are thinking outside the box so that is good. It will definitely be a challenge. I hope they use the spider walk scene and the Iraq dig when they find the Pazuzu statue. I imagine they will reuse the Exorcist light flash gag from Dead end as well.

Uggggh, queue up a vomit smell for that room.

...for at least the first weekend when it causes several drunks to puke in the middle of the house and they get rid of it :)  

Fine by me as I'm one of those people who feel nauseous just from the smell alone myself.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Oysterhead00 said:

Uggggh, queue up a vomit smell for that room.

...for at least the first weekend when it causes several drunks to puke in the middle of the house and they get rid of it :)  

Fine by me as I'm one of those people who feel nauseous just from the smell alone myself.

Ah god, I didn't even think of that.  The baby shit/baby powder smell from Giggles & Gore is still in my brain.  That's a smell I will NEVER forget. Of course, I'm sure that's the idea.  

I'm thrilled to death about this house.  So far, they have nailed the two movies that scared the crap out of me as a kid.  I have no doubt in my mind that they will nail this as it is clearly another passion project for Mike.  Look what they did with Halloween!  If anyone can make this into something amazing, these guys can.  The Ouija board and Captain Howdy MUST be in there though.

1 hour ago, hunnylvr said:

Ah god, I didn't even think of that.  The baby shit/baby powder smell from Giggles & Gore is still in my brain.  That's a smell I will NEVER forget. Of course, I'm sure that's the idea.  

That was in Dollhouse of the Damned. 

Based on our two IP's, here's my wishful thinking:

We get the Usher back as an icon.

All of the houses are based on movie IP's: TCM, Excorist, Killer Klowns, Alfred Hitchcock, Purge, Classic Universal Monsters, Krampus, This Is The End, and...

2014's Halloween is brought back. 

Scarezones are based on TV...Walking Dead, American Horror Story, and Twin Peaks (super wishful thinking there). 

Edited by Tich0las

26 minutes ago, Tich0las said:

All of the houses are based on movie IP's: TCM, Excorist, Killer Klowns, Alfred Hitchcock, Purge, Classic Universal Monsters, Krampus, This Is The End, and...

Scarezones are based on TV...Walking Dead, American Horror Story, and Twin Peaks (super wishful thinking there). 

BriMan is saying The Purge won't be a house. 

1 hour ago, Tich0las said:

Ah crap, sorry - yes, DOD.  I knew as I was typing that it didn't seem right.   I hate when I do that.  Brain fart.  Thanks for the correction.

Never "This Is The End" - dumbest idea for HHN I've ever heard.  I still can't believe Hollywood did that.  Such crap.  I'd rather have five more years of TWD than that.

Happy to hear Purge won't be a house!

Agree with those bold houses, criticalanalysis...except for Hitchcock. I understand why you guys wouldn't want it, but as a big Hitchcock fan-and having just watched 20 of his films in the past several months-I'd be happy to see creative give it a stab. 

• Like 2

I fully agree that a compilation Hitchcok house could be fantastic. There's enough iconic scary scenes in his filmography to make a really interesting house, if and only if they abandon some house tropes. It couldn't be tremendously dark and it couldn't be tremendously loud. It would have to be heavy on atmosphere and light on in your face scares, which leads me to believe they won't go for it. 

Still, it could be really cool if they were careful. 

I just checked the website and saw that Saturday dates are no longer listed for add on tickets. I usually do rush of fear and go for a four day weekend on the weekend of the 1st, flying down Thursday. What does the lack of Saturday add on tickets mean for Rush of Fear and the event in general?