HHN 25 Discussion

I cannot see Comcast agreeing to giving Scream another try after the amount of money they lost this year because of the right's holders. Merch, ads, maps, the actual house, costumes, etc.A LOT of money was spent to do Scream, as is spent on every IP, then at the last second they backed out. I don't see them even considering giving that IP or any other property owned by the same people another chance. Why risk getting fucked over again?

Not to mention they gave Hollywood a real hard time with the Scream Terror Tram back in 2011, and that turned out horrible (according to most everyone) because of the shit the rights holders pulled. Only way I see Scream happening is if the IP ends up under the control of someone else, or a scene in a Die-In type house.

I LOVE those Catacombs ideas, Legacy. There's so much that the property can do as far as sequels, same with Nightingales. Only reason we haven't seen anything else with these characters yet IMO is because there's only been 2-4 spots open for originals in the past 4 years, so they're wasn't much room for originals AND sequels, save HAVOC. I think we may see the number of IPs drop to 4 or even 3 next year, or if we do get a 10th house, we'll have up to 5-6 originals, which gives them a spot for a sequel.

• Like 5

I cannot see Comcast agreeing to giving Scream another try after the amount of money they lost this year because of the right's holders. Merch, ads, maps, the actual house, costumes, etc.A LOT of money was spent to do Scream, as is spent on every IP, then at the last second they backed out. I don't see them even considering giving that IP or any other property owned by the same people another chance. Why risk getting fucked over again?

Not to mention they gave Hollywood a real hard time with the Scream Terror Tram back in 2011, and that turned out horrible (according to most everyone) because of the shit the rights holders pulled. Only way I see Scream happening is if the IP ends up under the control of someone else, or a scene in a Die-In type house.

I LOVE those Catacombs ideas, Legacy. There's so much that the property can do as far as sequels, same with Nightingales. Only reason we haven't seen anything else with these characters yet IMO is because there's only been 2-4 spots open for originals in the past 4 years, so they're wasn't much room for originals AND sequels, save HAVOC. I think we may see the number of IPs drop to 4 or even 3 next year, or if we do get a 10th house, we'll have up to 5-6 originals, which gives them a spot for a sequel.

I'm new to the site what is an IP?

I'm new to the site what is an IP?

Intellectual Property. Basically name brand stuff that Universal doesn't own themselves that they have to acquire the rights to which usually means they can't get super creative with it because it's already an established entity and the owners are strict with how it's represented. (usually).

This is why they're not going to try getting AHS again and we should stop bringing it up as a possibility for 2016. They've tried the past three years to get it, and after Scream I don't think they want to deal with pushy IP holders.

• Like 2

Intellectual Property. Basically name brand stuff that Universal doesn't own themselves that they have to acquire the rights to which usually means they can't get super creative with it because it's already an established entity and the owners are strict with how it's represented. (usually).

Thank You!

This is why they're not going to try getting AHS again and we should stop bringing it up as a possibility for 2016. They've tried the past three years to get it, and after Scream I don't think they want to deal with pushy IP holders.

yeah, I was curious and kind of excited for Scream this year but after what they did I really don't want to see it back, even if they got it right and the house was great and everything I kind of wish they dont, 

With so many other great older IPs out there for HHN to do, it is getting annoying when they keep trying over and over  for Ips that have holders that are impossible to work with. it's like, enough is enough... let's try something else out of the hundreds of movies out there. 

Edited by clash
  • Like 1

The Scream fiasco has my hopes up for a non/limited IP year for 2016. 

Not to be that guy, but in the end, I don't think it will mean much of anything (The Scream fiasco). If anything, all that happened was an IP got crossed off the IP shortlist. They could have replaced Scream with an original concept, but went with Purge, which is very likely going to make it's presence known again next year in some way. 

• Like 2

Not to be that guy, but in the end, I don't think it will mean much of anything (The Scream fiasco). If anything, all that happened was an IP got crossed off the IP shortlist. They could have replaced Scream with an original concept, but went with Purge, which is very likely going to make it's presence known again next year in some way. 

Hope you're wrong. The Purge is an interesting concept, but the films are awful. We've had it back to back years now.  If it's true what's being said about TWD not returning, I don't want another year of Purge either.

• Like 1

Hope you're wrong. The Purge is an interesting concept, but the films are awful. We've had it back to back years now.  If it's true what's being said about TWD not returning, I don't want another year of Purge either.

The thing is, Purge is basically an in house property and it isn't a hard concept to pull off, which sorta sucks, but hey.

I think we'll get a 4 IP/5 Original split next year because I don't know if they can fill five IPs 

I'm thinking this is where we're going.

• Like 1

I think we'll get a 4 IP/5 Original split next year because I don't know if they can fill five IPs 

I agree. And if they have 5 IPs, only 1 or 2 will be high quality. The others will be filler A&D were forced to do. I just want quality horror films for IPs and not marketing bullshit. Cabin in the Woods, AWiL and Halloween are excellent examples of IP houses done with passion. I didn't feel any of that this year, although Insidious came the closest. If A&D have been dying to tackle Killer Clowns From Outer Space or Hellraiser, I want those IPs first and foremost. 

I'd also like to see more original content and not mash up/sequels next year.  If we have 5 originals, I'm happy with 1 being a sequel. 

Side note here: I think this event has passed the point of needing big IPs to pull in crowds. Everyone wants to attend this event regardless of its content. I wish Universal would realize this and get creative again.

• Like 2

I don't think Universal should stop using IPs all together (and I doubt they will). While I tend to enjoy the originals more, the IP houses can be tons of fun, too. In my two-year Horror Nights career (2013 and 2014, 2015 this Friday), I have to say that my all-time favorite house was an IP. It was none other than Halloween. IPs can be amazing if done right.

• Like 1

HHN has had IPs nearly every year of its existence. Years that had no IPs had houses heavily influenced by IPs or had unofficial IPs (DIE-In), for example.

Also, unless it can proved with numbers that HHN doesn't "need" IPs, IPs will stay. The last four years have proven that "More IPs = More guests." Even craptacular marketing doesn't hurt the appeal of the IPs to the GP. Next year we will have at least 5 IPs. Just accept it.

• Like 2

While I tend to enjoy the originals more, the IP houses can be tons of fun, too. In my two-year Horror Nights career (2013 and 2014, 2015 this Friday), I have to say that my all-time favorite house was an IP. It was none other than Halloween.

Halloween was outstanding and a top ten for me in the all-time list. But, respectfully, the original content is phenomenal and few IPs hold a candle to them. Truth be told the two years you went didn't have strong original content.

Also, unless it can proved with numbers that HHN doesn't "need" IPs, IPs will stay.

Unfortunately, true. I hate that Universal doesn't realize what put them on the map is their "golden years" where it was very original content heavy.

• Like 1

Just went two nights ago and I stumbled across Five coins throughout the park

I think it's pretty cool

1) by the pumpkin Carving head guy 

2) went back two hours later to thesame place and someone had put another one there

3) One on the stage for the Storyteller

4)  One on a chair by the Caretaker in the anniversary house 

5) and one more on the apple bobbing stage

• Like 1

Just went two nights ago and I stumbled across Five coins throughout the park

I think it's pretty cool

1) by the pumpkin Carving head guy 

2) went back two hours later to thesame place and someone had put another one there

3) One on the stage for the Storyteller

4)  One on a chair by the Caretaker in the anniversary house 

5) and one more on the apple bobbing stage

Ever get any looks from the actors when taking the coins?

• Like 1

I disagree with the statement "more IPs = more attendees".  TWD is the most watched show on television. Now that TWD fans have experienced HHN, they're hooked. Doesn't matter if TWD returns. People who attended for TWD spread the word about the event and now more people want the experience. The IPs aren't creating the stir; it's how well the event is executed. If all the IPs sucked, the general consensus would be "don't go to HHN, it's nothing like the source material". 

Also, I'm not trying to rehash the IP argument.  All I'm saying is it's gotta let up at some point. Otherwise, the quality of the source content will suffer and the event will get a bad reputation. This year almost feels like the start of that trend with 1 IP house a repeat, 1 IP house pretty good, 1 IP house alright, 1 IP house not so good, and 1 IP house god awful.

Edit: forgot an IP.

Edited by Tich0las

I disagree with the statement "more IPs = more attendees".  TWD is the most watched show on television. Now that TWD fans have experienced HHN, they're hooked. Doesn't matter if TWD returns. People who attended for TWD spread the word about the event and now more people want the experience. The IPs aren't creating the stir; it's how well the event is executed. If all the IPs sucked, the general consensus would be "don't go to HHN, it's nothing like the source material". 

Also, I'm not trying to rehash the IP argument.  All I'm saying is it's gotta let up at some point. Otherwise, the quality of the source content will suffer and the event will get a bad reputation. This year almost feels like the start of that trend with 1 IP a repeat, 1 IP pretty good, 1 IP not so good, and 1 IP god awful.

I think a more accurate statement would be "Popular IPs = More Attendees." I think 2 solid IPs is all the event needs. Having an iconic slasher and a popular, new IP like Insidious would draw in people who have never been to the event. But I'm a huge fan of IP's so I'm happy with a 50/50 split or even 5 IPs and 4 originals. 

Edited by Arsik_22

from what I have seen on fb or just around, the most hated houses this year are 2 originals and 2 IPs.the purge and walking dead are a given because of obvious reasons, 
but I haven't really seen a lot of love for the Asylum house or even RUN... which ends up having the lowest lines most of the night (with Asylum having the lowest lines as well)  past 2 years  the originals got some negative reviews as well, people didn't like Havoc too much and After Life was considered one of the worst 3D houses so far (La llorona was just okay) . Roanoke was not too loved either, (too repetitive) I personally liked Giggles a lot but i remember it wasn't too well received either. 

so original houses are not the end all of the event either. bad Original houses can be just as bad as bad IPs, or even worse. Why do some houses work perfectly while others dont? (both originals or IPs) is it the location? the budget given to them?  the energy of the cast? the story of the house? i don't know, I'm just thinking about it and I agree with this

I agree. And if they have 5 IPs, only 1 or 2 will be high quality. The others will be filler A&D were forced to do. I just want quality horror films for IPs and not marketing bullshit. Cabin in the Woods, AWiL and Halloween are excellent examples of IP houses done with passion. I didn't feel any of that this year, although Insidious came the closest. If A&D have been dying to tackle Killer Clowns From Outer Space or Hellraiser, I want those IPs first and foremost. 

I'd also like to see more original content and not mash up/sequels next year.  If we have 5 originals, I'm happy with 1 being a sequel. 

Side note here: I think this event has passed the point of needing big IPs to pull in crowds. Everyone wants to attend this event regardless of its content. I wish Universal would realize this and get creative again.

is it the passion behind it? could original houses lack some of the passion other houses (Even IPs) have? 

so original houses are not the end all of the event either.

The reason they fail is because budget can only be allotted to so much. If they have 9 houses they will give the largest money to houses they think will be draws, and the least to others. It's a sad situation now where they're almost forced to have money go to the IPs. If they put their money all to originals you'd see equal quality among them all.

• Like 1