Halloween Horror Nights 25 Wishful Thinking

Legacy

You know the "story" for Sweet 16 was simply "The icons are having a party." And that was the year following Terra Cruentes. Don't be surprised if this year basically does the same thing.

Well, hey that's good enough for me. At least it's a story instead of just a tagline that says "featuring: [iPs go here]!"

• Like 2

I love how people complain about not having a story to the event and a storyline as simple as "throwing a party" appeases them...

I wasn't saying that it completely satisfies me. I was simply saying that it's way better than what they've done the past couple years. (Basically "THE WALKING DEAD IS BACK! Oh and also, there's 7 other mazes, but who cares.") Seriously, anything will please me as long as it doesn't involve zombies, and DOES involve the icons and has some way of tying everything together. Don't tell me you disagree :P

I wasn't saying that it completely satisfies me. I was simply saying that it's way better than what they've done the past couple years. (Basically "THE WALKING DEAD IS BACK! Oh and also, there's 7 other mazes, but who cares.") Seriously, anything will please me as long as it doesn't involve zombies, and DOES involve the icons and has some way of tying everything together. Don't tell me you disagree :P

I don't disagree, I wouldn't mind it. But I am also keeping an open mind to what Universal wants to do with their event. People want new things, but when Universal tries to make changes, everyone is so quick to judge and stick to what they know.

People want new things, but when Universal tries to make changes, everyone is so quick to judge and stick to what they know.

I understand that they are trying new things, and I have actually really enjoyed lots of the new things. But of course, there have also been a lot of bad things and we all know what those were...

However, if you think about it, bringing back the original style that the event used to have would be a really good idea. With original content, possibilities are pretty much endless, therefore the event can literally be different every year. Plus- most of the newer fans have no idea about icons, so introducing them is basically trying something new. BUT when you have something like The Walking Dead returning for 3 years straight, and now maybe 4, everyone knows what to expect: (zombies, fences, basic zombie stuff already used, etc.) During the icon years, we never knew what icon or characters we would see next.

Edited by JackTheREAPER

*looks at original HHN, as in the first ten years. No stories, repeat houses, IPs...*

You've been getting "Original" Horror Nights. When you say what you want, say what you mean... You want the HHN that first attracted you; not original HHN.

• Like 2

I've been watching the permit site, not for HHN stuff, but for the other rumors and tidbits that may be coming to Universal. I have found a few (6 to be exact) that I find interesting, and may be relevant to HHN.

6 new antennas and arrays are going up for wireless.

With the use of wireless technology at HHN last year (The Compound and Legendary Truth), I find the locations interesting. They are: Entrance, Magic Shop, Kwik-E-Mart, Fear Factor, Candy Shop (I'm thinking this is the one next to Bruce not near the entrance), and Monster's Cafe.

While the spacing seems "normal" (it covers a decent amount of the park), I can't help noticing it covers traditional SZ locations, as well.

• Like 3

I understand that they are trying new things, and I have actually really enjoyed lots of the new things. But of course, there have also been a lot of bad things and we all know what those were...

However, if you think about it, bringing back the original style that the event used to have would be a really good idea. With original content, possibilities are pretty much endless, therefore the event can literally be different every year. Plus- most of the newer fans have no idea about icons, so introducing them is basically trying something new. BUT when you have something like The Walking Dead returning for 3 years straight, and now maybe 4, everyone knows what to expect: (zombies, fences, basic zombie stuff already used, etc.) During the icon years, we never knew what icon or characters we would see next.

Everyone needs to remember that this is a business. the walking dead, as much as I don't like it, it brings in a crowd. It brings in money, which is the whole point to this event in Universal's eyes. If huge names are going to bring in a huge crowd, then they will do it.

I agree that the best houses are usually the original content, but it doesn't bring the GP in. Big names like the walking dead, AvP, and Halloween will.

I don't want to sound like I'm bitching, its just thinking about this from a business perspective. If you were running Universal, would you want to appease a small group and lose money, or appeal to the general masses and make loads of money?

Well I'm not entirely referring to the first 10 or 15 years of HHN. When I mean "original style" I mean the style in general that it used to bring. Certain elements. (More original mazes/scarezones, icons, a backstory, a main theme, etc.) sure there were some IPs during the old school years, but they weren't so... Overly exaggerated to the extent where they were pretty much the main theme of the event, which is what we have had in the past 3 years.

Anyways, my point being: original themes bring us new things every year. That's why I feel like the old years of the event had a ether style to it. They brought us new thugs every single year. Things that we would love to re-experience. What I'm trying to say is, sure, HHN can have IPs, but if they wanna try something REALLY different, then bring us a little more originality in the event themes, instead of "FEATURING" thing they have been doing with IPs.

Yes, IPs bring the money and crowds. But here's a point I made before: Universal doesn't need their whole event to be based around the IPs. They only need 2 or 3 big ones, and then the rest of the event can be original. Let's look at HHN24: was anyone really going to the event for From Dusk till Dawn or Dracula? No. They all went for TWD, AVP, and Halloween. There's proof: you only need 3 IPs. Maybe even 2!!

• Like 1

Everyone needs to remember that this is a business. the walking dead, as much as I don't like it, it brings in a crowd. It brings in money, which is the whole point to this event in Universal's eyes. If huge names are going to bring in a huge crowd, then they will do it.

I agree that the best houses are usually the original content, but it doesn't bring the GP in. Big names like the walking dead, AvP, and Halloween will.

I don't want to sound like I'm bitching, its just thinking about this from a business perspective. If you were running Universal, would you want to appease a small group and lose money, or appeal to the general masses and make loads of money?

I don't mind new big names or the return of some of the big names we haven't seen in a few years (I'd be a happy little fangirl if Alien came back in some form too!). I understand and accept the business, but when it comes to TWD, the business side isn't making as much sense now.

After 3 yrs at the event, they (Uni) have most likely grabbed the one-and-doners, the diehard TWD fans may repeat, but how do you keep refreshing and making it new? They did the first house with the "OMG!! We have a walking dead house". The whole event is TWD has been done. The hook of "Biggest house ever!" has now been done. How do they get those who will say "Oh! TWD again? I did that already! No need to go".

If (I refuse to say when) we get TWD this year, what will be the hook, the gimmick? Laser tag? Extreme house? Will it be an up-charge house? How do you bring back those crowds who came for TWD? Has the event sold itself well enough to turn the TWD fans into HHN fans?

I don't know if it has. And even if it has, will just a TWD house (without some gimmick/hook) be enough to pull the crowds back in?

• Like 2

What I don't like is that our theme has basically been based off of what makes the most money. I'm not saying that IPs have to stop for the event to be good. I'm saying that I just want a theme like we've had in certain past years, and then have some IPs on the side for universal to make money.

lol and that's all.

I don't mind new big names or the return of some of the big names we haven't seen in a few years (I'd be a happy little fangirl if Alien came back in some form too!). I understand and accept the business, but when it comes to TWD, the business side isn't making as much sense now.

After 3 yrs at the event, they (Uni) have most likely grabbed the one-and-doners, the diehard TWD fans may repeat, but how do you keep refreshing and making it new? They did the first house with the "OMG!! We have a walking dead house". The whole event is TWD has been done. The hook of "Biggest house ever!" has now been done. How do they get those who will say "Oh! TWD again? I did that already! No need to go".

If (I refuse to say when) we get TWD this year, what will be the hook, the gimmick? Laser tag? Extreme house? Will it be an up-charge house? How do you bring back those crowds who came for TWD? Has the event sold itself well enough to turn the TWD fans into HHN fans?

I don't know if it has. And even if it has, will just a TWD house (without some gimmick/hook) be enough to pull the crowds back in?

I still say lets make the walking dead a 3d house. xD But seriously, they could do a duel run house. That's about the only thing they can do. If they make it different in each path, that will convince people to go through the house twice, freeing up other lines. Just a thought.

They make 2 paths following different storylines. (idk what's going on in the show nor do I care, but what I remember, there is always multiple storylines) That I think would be a good draw for die hards and the casual fans alike. I might even do it if they do that.

• Like 1

"Objectives: Future thinking is an important domain of cognitive functioning, with reduced ability to imagine positive future events associated with hopelessness in depression and parasuicide. Rumination has been shown to exacerbate negative cognitive biases in depression, and to reduce likelihood estimations for positive future events. We examine the hypothesis that, in depressed patients, rumination would reduce the ability to imagine positive future events, whilst increasing the ability to imagine negative future events.
Method: The ability to imagine positive and negative future events was assessed using the future thinking paradigm (MacLeod, Rose, & Williams, 1993). Depressed and nondepressed participants completed the future thinking task after being randomly allocated to either a rumination or distraction manipulation (Nolen-Hoeksema & Morrow, 1993). Mood was measured before and after the manipulation. Participants also completed a standard verbal fluency task.
Results: In the depressed group, compared to distraction, rumination increased both negative and positive future thinking, although the effect was only significant for negative future thinking once baseline levels of hopelessness were controlled for. These findings are consistent with the prediction that rumination would increase negative future thinking, but inconsistent with the prediction that rumination would reduce positive future thinking. Previous findings that, compared to controls, depressed patients generated fewer positive future events were replicated.
Conclusion: Ruminative self-focus leads to greater negative future thinking in depressed patients, further confirming that rumination exacerbates negative cognitive biases in depression. The relationship between rumination and positive future thinking was unexpected, but might potentially reflect a general priming of self-related information by rumination."
Lavender, A. and Watkins, E. (2004), Rumination and future thinking in depression. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 43: 129–142. doi: 10.1348/014466504323088015

Who says it would have to return as a house?

"Daryl & Carol's Excellent Adventure"

Yeah, I threw up in my mouth a little, too...

• Like 2

If anyone wants a good laugh, head on over to Screamscape.com.

OK... What's funny there? The spec? A lot of wishful thinking but nothing too outlandish.

AHS is a very real possibility this year... and, if it happens, the word is it won't be watered down... so... 2+2=?

Other than that, some of the spec is premature. I don't know if I believe that TWD won't be back. I also don't think the Purge would be a house. Krampus may indeed make an appearance. 31 is probably not happening.

• Like 1

OK... What's funny there? The spec? A lot of wishful thinking but nothing too outlandish.

AHS is a very real possibility this year... and, if it happens, the word is it won't be watered down... so... 2+2=?

Other than that, some of the spec is premature. I don't know if I believe that TWD won't be back. I also don't think the Purge would be a house. Krampus may indeed make an appearance. 31 is probably not happening.

2+2=4. 5 on the days I'm feeling contrary and mischievous. :P

The Screamscape piece on TWD is an opinion that I agree with. Last year's house felt like a send off.

The rest is speculation (some of it already mentioned here). The Purge? Isn't the third movie coming out in 2016? Wouldn't that be a more apropos time to have a house?

Krampus...we've been speculating on it since Hollywood's scarezone as announced.

31...Wasn't there an issue between Zombie and Uni? And isn't Zombie doing his own haunts now?

AHS, we've wanted for awhile. (By we, I mean fans have been asking for it). They'd have to get all their ducks in a row, though and come to an agreement.

I certainly found this funny:

What is most likely not to happen? I could be wrong here, but I'm thinking we may see The Walking Dead take a break this year. After tapping that vein so many years in a row, I think they give it an epic send off last year and I just can't see it coming back again this year, no matter how popular the show still is. They would be better off avoiding it entirely this year, and maybe looking into the new spin-off show for subject matter in 2016 instead if they want to go back to that world once again

I certainly found this funny:

What is most likely not to happen? I could be wrong here, but I'm thinking we may see The Walking Dead take a break this year. After tapping that vein so many years in a row, I think they give it an epic send off last year and I just can't see it coming back again this year, no matter how popular the show still is. They would be better off avoiding it entirely this year, and maybe looking into the new spin-off show for subject matter in 2016 instead if they want to go back to that world once again.

Oh ok well there ya go then. I see the point of either side. The pessimist in me say there is no end in site to TWD. But the optimist says last year felt final and they were already catching a lot of flack for it. according to Kim, A&D didn't want to do it a 3rd year either.

• Like 2

Oh when people confuse rumor and spec...

25th anniversary house is obvious.

Insideous, based on current Hollywood spec, is obvious.

AHS will continue to be rumored until it happens.

The slasher possibilities are ALWAYS discussed.

Krampus/Dark Christmas is rumored for Hollywood, so of course it's rumored for us.

And 31? That's a perfect example that just because something exists, doesn't mean it's possible.

• Like 3