Halloween Horror Nights 25 Wishful Thinking

Legacy

The movie is on the list of big horror releases of the year and most likely the best one being released in October, but for some odd reason I'm having difficulty imagining it being one of the houses. I have no real idea why. I'm not sure if it's because of the title or because as far as I know there really isn't a lot of information on what the movie is going to be about yet, but maybe as time goes on my feelings will change. The trailer definitely is a step in the right direction though. If anything, it might be too good. I wouldn't want them to just throw together a house based on this movie and not have it look anything like what the trailer (or movie once we see it) portrayed. It could cost quite a bit to recreate and with rumors of an increased number of houses this year floating around, will there be a budget for something like this? On top of that, they most likely will be open at least 3 days less this year compared to last year.

We know there more than likely will be an ip coming out this year made by Universal or one of it's partners that will make it's way to HHN. So who knows this early...

One more ticket question to any vets out there. If the Rush of Fear started around HHN 20, what types of package deals were offered prior to that?

Crimson Peak is the IP coming out this year from Universal and their partner Legendary Pictures. As with Wolman, The Thing, and Dracula Untold, A&D would have access to the film and set design information from the movie if Crimson Peak were to become a house. Recent history (the three previous houses I mentioned) shows that Universal will do a house based on an upcoming movie. Live it before you see it. It's a win for them. The house becomes a living, revenue producing trailer.

I cannot see Universal downgraded the quality of their sets due to the potential of more houses. If more houses than the usual 8 occur (we get a 9th or 10th), it will be touted as a big deal and this is an anniversary year. Hurting the quality to up the quantity would not do them and favors. If they go big, they'd better bring their A game for all the houses or it could hurt their image. (This is, of course, a budget reference since I have complete faith in A&D. They will do quality work.)

Ticket packages prior to ROF and FFP? None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. There may have been deals and discounts for multiple nights, but considering I bought my tickets for HHN at Spencer's or Spirit for my first few years, I'm unaware of any. There wasn't even express until 2002. They were little booklets with rip out tickets.

(And for a completely related, but not necessarily relevant note: I'm old. I remember when you couldn't buy tickets for HHN on the computer.)

• Like 1

Wow, hadn't seen the trailer for Crimson Peak until now, looks interesting.

So do you think we'll be seeing more IP's this year? Or perhaps an equal balance, maybe more original? Would the 25th Anniversary really change the formula in which this event has been going recently?

We know Mike is on the 5th Maze treatment and at least two of them are originals. One is possibly something from the past.

Retweeted HHN - Orlando (@HorrorNightsORL):
Wishing all of you a frightful Friday the 13th! 5th maze treatment is nearly complete...

Want it.

Gorgeous facade. Check.

Beautiful costumes. Check.

Scare factor. Check.

Snow effect from Winter's Night. Check.

I don't even need to see the movie first.

I'm in too! I'm a sucker for ghosts and odd things like that. And this looks totally wicked. A house has potential to be absolutely beautiful m

Original from the past ^^^??? Assuming it's not an original street concept taken and converted into a house, it more than likely is one of these options below in some form. Personally I would like to see a current day S.S. Frightanic. I never saw the old one, but it sounds fun to me.

Scary Tales

Universal's House of Horrors... Not sure if that is totally original, but since it is a big anniversary why not bring back the classics?

Reflections of Fear - Bloody Mary

Jack's Funhouse

Havoc... Please God no.

Dead Exposure

H.R. Bloodengutz

Catacombs

All Nite Die-In

Body Collectors

Nightingales

PsychoScareapy

Legendary Truth

A return of the Hallow'd Past

Any others?

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

Original from the past ^^^??? Assuming it's not an original street concept taken and converted into a house, it more than likely is one of these options below in some form. Personally I would like to see a current day S.S. Frightanic. I never saw the old one, but it sounds fun to me.

Scary Tales

Universal's House of Horrors... Not sure if that is totally original, but since it is a big anniversary why not bring back the classics?

Reflections of Fear - Bloody Mary

Jack's Funhouse

Havoc... Please God no.

Dead Exposure

H.R. Bloodengutz

Catacombs

All Nite Die-In

Body Collectors

Nightengales

PsychoScareapy

Legendary Truth

A return of the Hallow'd Past

Any others?

Remember there's 24yrs of history... You included a lot of 2000 - present day in that list

Well... Unless they go back to their 1st house ever, which apparently was called the Dungeon of Terror, the rest of the houses didn't really seem to stand out. ^^^

That would be cool to me.

Legacy... You were convinced it was Nightingales last year around this time (Feb.) too. Why you so confident now? 95% is pretty good odds.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

Legacy... You were convinced it was Nightingales last year around this time (Feb.) too. Why you so confident now? 95% is pretty good odds.

Because Nightingales was designed specifically to be a franchise. The sequel WILL happen at some point. I expect that any franchise from 2000-2010 won't return. The politics of Catacombs makes me hesitant to claim it's getting a sequel.

I WANT to see Hotel Hell, or Hell High (please be Hell High: School Musi-kill). But those are unlikely.

I wanna see Hotel Hell again too.. There's some 90s houses that would be amazing if they put a modern twist on it... Or better yet use the Scare tatics they tried in the late 90s but sadly you cant due to ADA rules.

One house they put tennis balls on the floor to make it feel like you were walking on eyeballs

Above about Hotel Hell...

Why would it draw in a crowd? I honestly don't see how Hotel Hell being Mike's 1st house as a scare actor at Universal mattering too much to a casual fan. Is it an all time fan favorite?

Here's the thing. Anything that's not an IP won't attract people. As far as the fans... They're going to show up. Is there any previous house that, if a fan wasn't going, would convince them to go? Not really.
  • Like 1

Maybe 1 house wouldn't convince someone to go, but the more interest the more people talk and get excited. This would usually lead to more money.

I think Jack has fans.

Bloody Mary is very well known.

I didn't put it on the list, but La Llorona is also quite famous.

Bringing back their 1st house ever for a 25th anniversary makes sense to me from a marketing standpoint.

Bring in a Sasquatch/Bigfoot house and tell me it won't get people talking. Almost everyone loves Bigfoot.

I suppose the real issue is that whatever group that is in charge of marketing HHN doesn't seem to be very good at their job. I wouldn't even know it existed up here if I hadn't lived down there for a bit.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

That's because HHN's primary market is locals/driving distance. People who fly/plan whole vacations around it aren't the key demographic. Thus, why they don't advertise the event beyond Georgia.

In regards to marketing random, original houses, you really overestimate the populace. The icons are characters, and if the first icon wasn't a one-off Pennywise, I question if they would have been immediately accepted. Even the fact that Jack, a rip-off of a popular character built off a more common fear, is the popular and known by a large percentage emphasizes that IPs attract far better than anything else.

Could they advertise original houses? Sure, but it's something they've never done unless there was an associated character. Because then the immediate thought by the majority (that doesn't know better) is that that's the only house.

Assuming what your saying is true about which demographic the marketing is geared toward, then the last part of what you said about the majority not knowing that there's more than 1 house is almost incomprehensible. The event is going on it's 25th year. Over that period, only 1 time was there 1 house and that was the 1st year when I'm fairly certain it wasn't even called HHN. If marketing is doing it's job, how is this even possible?

I'm pretty sure there are family run haunted attractions around up here that get more marketing coverage (area wise) than a company that has billions in revenue and specializes in making movies. All things considered, I'd think Universal has a slight advantage in building a haunted attraction in their theme parks with all that cash, manpower, space, and even used props. Yet somehow (as we both know), there are single houses out there that are better than the ones at HHN.

I honestly don't think they truly realized how much milk they truly could have gotten from the haunted attraction cow that is HHN until recently. Even still, I think they could do more. But realistically, if they're only going to run it for 1 month a year, how many more people can they jam into those lines?

Extreme/Interactive haunted houses are the thing that is picking up more speed now. I wonder how long it takes before Universal takes that route and adds a few. Maybe they won't go too extreme due to liability.

Now...

I think the Scary Tales concept was a pretty good one because, like you mentioned, people are attracted to ips or familiar things they know or can relate to. I think many children grew up hearing about these various characters and it's quite horrific to take something so good and pure and not only make it evil, but have it coming to kill you.

I enjoyed the story about the Nightingales, my only issue with them was that I thought some of their masks could have been significantly better (especially looking back on it now).

Jack as well as all the icons should have been present at HHN every year since their various creations. If you create characters to help promote the event, why not keep them around? They are a part of the HHN brand. The park is large enough and the event runs long enough that it could of and in my opinion should have happened.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

Universal is absolutely aware of how much money is available in haunts. For most of the aughts, the month of October single-handedly was the only month that operated entirely in the black. And considering their guest counts are skyrocketing at HHN now, I'd say marketing is pretty damn good at their job.

And in regards to local market/single house confusion... People are straight up idiots. They don't think about HHN year round. They don't remember things. Hell, a couple of years ago I had to inform a friend who lived in Orlando her whole life that scarezones were a thing. Every discussion I've ever had with people who aren't fans requires me mentioning there are 8 houses. They only know about the individual IPs that are advertised and those are locals attend every year.

You don't advertise Lucky Charms by featuring each marshmallow on its own box. You create a mascot and highlight what's new/a favorite.

• Like 2

Nightingales was definitly set up to be able to facilitate a sequel or sequels. Not only can nightingales be associated with wars, but possibly ship wrecks, plane crashes, natural disasters, and the list goes on and on. As long as there is some sort of chaos where people are left vulnerable, the nightmares will be there to feed on them. That's what's so cool about the idea of another nightingales house. There is simply so much that can be done with the concept and really no limitations other than budget.

In regards to shows, I'm fairly confident that they'll pull Rocky Horror off the lineup for at most 2 years then bring it back because of "high demand."

what I'm worried about is what's going to take its place, because I don't want "20 penny circus," but I also wouldn't mind Brian Brushwood.

Second Question: how do you think they'll try to draw in the latino community? (e.g. La Llorona in 23 and Dusk til Dawn in 24)

El Cucuy. It's really simple. Have a Boogyman house with a typical Boogyman backstory and give it a Hispanic twist. But, as we mentioned earlier on, IPs are what really matter to draw the attention of the general public. The average guest really doesn't care or even notice original houses.

I would love to see H.R., Nightengales or Classic Monsters return. I really love those houses!

I'll take Blood N' Gutz and Nightingales both.