Halloween Horror Nights 25 Wishful Thinking

Legacy

I wouldn't mind seeing another house like Intersteller Terror. AvP had some scenes that reminded me of IT. Are you talking a sequel house or something new?

I wasn't exactly referring to a sequel. I just meant something exactly like it lol. The question I have, is Interstellar Terror a concept that can be expanded onto, or just be completely redone?

How about.... a ghost space ship. ;)

What appeals to me is anything twisted and psychological. I love JDW's idea of the dark willy wonka. Just the feeling of dark asylums, or small corridors make a great haunt, and is very effective. (take it from a home haunter myself) Like everyone is currently discussing, a true "haunted" house/ship/mansion/etc. is just awesome. I personally loved the glowing eyes in the Forsaken maze. It made the creatures look even more haunted and ghastly. A cool idea I like is a haunted castle. Not like Gothic with bats and stuff, but instead with evil spirits and demons who live within the castle ruins. Even the idea of a haunted space ship is cool to be honest. Like I said, anything close and personal really gets to people, and that's what we need to see. The scare needs to be after YOU personally, not just triggered and randomly attacking, and then returning. That's just my opinion. Twisted scenes, darkness, ghostly characters, unexpected events, etc. it all works for me.

• Like 1

If we must have a collage house why not make a Japanese urban legend house. They have some really freaky beasties.

Plus they almost had a Japanese street last year. Could be a solid possibility.

Camera Obscura... Fatal Frame

Maybe somehow work oculus. Maybe not so much the movie but the concept. Might be hard to translate.

I would love to see a house based on mirrors and vortices though. It's all about misdirection and throwing you off your expectations.

• Like 2

I love mirrors in haunted houses for just the reason JDW said. I think of Nevermore and Dollhouse. They both used mirrors pretty effectively and I enjoyed the scares that came out of them.

I wasn't there to experience this house, but did the Bloody Mary house have a lot of mirror effects? I would imagine so since they legend is based on mirrors. But yet again, I know how Universal likes to tweak things for better or worse.

I love mirrors in haunted houses for just the reason JDW said. I think of Nevermore and Dollhouse. They both used mirrors pretty effectively and I enjoyed the scares that came out of them.

I wasn't there to experience this house, but did the Bloody Mary house have a lot of mirror effects? I would imagine so since they legend is based on mirrors. But yet again, I know how Universal likes to tweak things for better or worse.

you would think but no. I can't think of one.

You can see the run through in my video

http://youtu.be/pF4W7dkQLwc

you would think but no. I can't think of one.

You can see the run through in my video

http://youtu.be/pF4W7dkQLwc

I'd love to watch it, but all I see is a sad face file.

Just send me a link to your channel and I'll subscribe to ya ;)

EDIT: When I quote it, it works O.o

Edited by IheartNARWHALS

There were no mirrors tricks in Reflections of Fear. It was one of the house's biggest failure. The closest we came was the office two way mirror, I believe.

Freddy had a fantastic mirror maze in 07. There are many myths and legends (beyond Mary) that could be used as a base for a concept. Oculus plays off of a real cursed mirror story (I believe). While not based on, the idea most likely stems from cursed mirror stories. I'll see if I can find one of the legends.

Myrtles Plantation has a "haunted" mirror. I can't seem to find the one which was linked to deaths that I vaguely remember reading about years ago. I'll keep looking.

There were no mirrors tricks in Reflections of Fear. It was one of the house's biggest failure. The closest we came was the office two way mirror, I believe.

Freddy had a fantastic mirror maze in 07. There are many myths and legends (beyond Mary) that could be used as a base for a concept. Oculus plays off of a real cursed mirror story (I believe). While not based on, the idea most likely stems from cursed mirror stories. I'll see if I can find one of the legends.

Myrtles Plantation has a "haunted" mirror. I can't seem to find the one which was linked to deaths that I vaguely remember reading about years ago. I'll keep looking.

I thought of Myrtle's Plantation too. That would actually be a good way to combine both the mirror trickery and haunted house into one. The backstory could be that the mirror has trapped so many spirits over the years that they are finally overflowing into the house itself. The last few rooms could be us journeying into the mirror itself.

Edit: This story would not HAVE to be plantation set or a house proper (see Legacy's pagoda idea or the aforementioned haunted vessel).

Edited by Cooger and Dark

I thought of Myrtle's Plantation too. That would actually be a good way to combine both the mirror trickery and haunted house into one. The backstory could be that the mirror has trapped so many spirits over the years that they are finally overflowing into the house itself. The last few rooms could be us journeying into the mirror itself.

The Myrtles' Plantation (or a house inspired by it) opens many doors. The plantation has seen many legends unnofficially attached to it. From connections to Madame LaLaurie to Marie Laveau. "Official" legends attribute the hauntings to the murder of the Woodruffs (Sarah and her two daughters), the mirror not being properly covered during wakes, and voodoo practices.

A Bayou of Blood sequel as a house loosely based upon Myrtles would be intriguing.

• Like 2

A Bayou of Blood sequel as a house loosely based upon Myrtles would be intriguing.

Agreed!

Out of curiosity, have they ever done a house based upon an evil painter or painting? After watching the latest episode of Sleepy Hollow, I would love to see a house about a painter whose self portraits are him killing people through the years and how places where these paintings have hung all have had strange murders with no killer ever found. We could enter an art gallery and witness a few paintings move (using projection mapping, WWoHP trickery, or just plain old Pepper's ghost) and as we journey through we see the painter killing the art snobs touring the gallery of his work. Part way through the house, we enter into one of his paintings and are pursued through his watercolored world of death.

• Like 1

Agreed!

Out of curiosity, have they ever done a house based upon an evil painter or painting? After watching the latest episode of Sleepy Hollow, I would love to see a house about a painter whose self portraits are him killing people through the years and how places where these paintings have hung all have had strange murders with no killer ever found. We could enter an art gallery and witness a few paintings move (using projection mapping, WWoHP trickery, or just plain old Pepper's ghost) and as we journey through we see the painter killing the art snobs touring the gallery of his work. Part way through the house, we enter into one of his paintings and are pursued through his watercolored world of death.

No... But I have a house concept based on an animator's cartoon characters coming to life and driving him to murder. Edited by Legacy

I think something along the lines of the new Silent Hills trailer would be super effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY91vV0rWr4

I know the limitations of a physical space and a conga line are tough. But, IMO, less is more in horror.

If you see ya threat but aren't able to access the threat it is terrifying.

The example of the walls exploding open with centipedes after the ball turns into a head and then pours the bugs forth. Could be done with wall projections... maybe some physical bugs... heck drop them down as danglies. Of the figure approaching that really isn't distinguished.

I'm not saying it SHOULD be Silent Hills (although I wouldn't complain) or even the same thing. But disturbing quick imagery that you can't fully comprehend. Going form the normal to the fantastical in a split second is panic inducing. It can work with flashes in the dark too.

Just the typical "boo" is getting old. It's old in movies and it's old in theme parks. Actually I'm waiting for a paradigm shift in horror. Is tried and predictable. Need some new blood.

Other than the "indiscernible threat" they need to break the formula. Do unexpected things. Drop the floor spin the room. Slam doors and isolate small amounts of people. Break it up! People expect they formula. I think it's part of why people become desensitized. You know the drill... they follow it like clock work:

"Turn the corner boo door here... misdirection there." Even their pepper's ghosts and mirror gags are getting stale. They need to rethink the way each house is done. Do it in a way that is unexpected. For years I would always get a few butterflies before going. Because I didn't know what to expect. But as they fell into the rut I became completely unphased and now want to stop and look. you don't WANT the guests to stop and look. You want them to be afraid to stop.

Then if you want to push the "extreme factor" it's a simple task. Once you unbalance a person it takes very little effort to knock them over.

We need to feel dread, hopelessness, a sense of being trapped. It's hard and harder to do with people today but, when done effectively it super effective because people aren't used to being unhinged.

I need to fell like I know what is going to happen, suddenly realize I have know idea what is happening, and THEN hit me over the head with the sledgehammer... figuratively of course.

• Like 2

That's why I want the Deja-Vu house. Twelve instances of the same room (specifically a living room) and hallway, but with variations between them.

Room (A)

Identical (same scare location)

Scare location change (B )

Identical to A

Reverse room (backward design)

Identical to B

Blood covered room

New monsters

Identical to A

Upside down

Chaos (all monsters, everything moving, etc).

A house like that subverts the formula. It's psycological horror. The repetition makes it feel like you can't escape. Creating identical rooms plays against the expectation that it will be different every time.

And it's not a hard house to build!

Edited by Legacy
  • Like 7

That would be an interesting house. The whole idea of it being the same room, but different variations, would make the house feel a lot longer than it actually is. It would also confuse the hell out of the general public! Just imagine Legacy's idea, but with clostrophobic spaces. I've always wanted a bug house. I remember watching Indiana Jones as a kid, and there was this one scene from one of the movies where they fall into a pit of big, nasty bugs. What if we had a house packed full of danglies, slimy walls (like in AvP), ankle ticklers, and air cannons. Maybe I'll think about a simple storyline for the house, because at this rate I'm really loving it.

• Like 1

That would be an interesting house. The whole idea of it being the same room, but different variations, would make the house feel a lot longer than it actually is. It would also confuse the hell out of the general public! Just imagine Legacy's idea, but with clostrophobic spaces. I've always wanted a bug house. I remember watching Indiana Jones as a kid, and there was this one scene from one of the movies where they fall into a pit of big, nasty bugs. What if we had a house packed full of danglies, slimy walls (like in AvP), ankle ticklers, and air cannons. Maybe I'll think about a simple storyline for the house, because at this rate I'm really loving it.

I've actually written and designed a few of my own maze ideas, and one of them was based on half human half bug hybrids. There's a lot they could do with the concept of bugs. Just hearing insect noises in the dark, will freak many people out. Now taking that idea, and adding terrifying visuals such as arachnid-looking actors with large spider legs piercing out of their skin, and lots of effects like ankle ticklers, some hanging fish wire and webs, etc, and you have yourself one horrifying instectorium.

Edited by JackTheREAPER

A deja vu house would work even better if Uni never mentioned it as being one. If it was marketed as a deja vu house, people would expect it to contain repeating/slightly altered rooms. If they never mention that aspect, it would make the first (and only, for many) walkthrough even greater.

So many great ideas!

There hasn't been an evil painter or painting.

I agree with Jeramy. We need a formula change. Something I found effective and disorienting was the delayed strobe they used in part of NOES. Complete darkness for what felt like a minute (but was probably no more than 10/15 seconds) then a bright flash of light for the same time period. Your eyes couldn't adjust and you had just enough time to pick out your "path" before it was dark again.

The Deja-Vu house sounds great.

Bugs. Eck!!! But a good eck. I hate bugs. I remember the room in The Mummy house that was the Scarab room. To hear them crawling around in low light while something "popped underneath your feet. I think they used styrofoam popcorn or something similar to it, but it was effective.

• Like 4

I'd like to see another house fully utilize the strobe concept that was used in Dead Exposure. Not necessarily with the same theming. I think it could work with a lot of other themes and concepts. Imagine if it was used in a bug house. It would be just like the feeling when you are trying to kill a bug and it flies to the other side of the room and you loose sight of it for a minute. I'm going to start writing up a concept for this house over the weekend.

I've actually written and designed a few of my own maze ideas, and one of them was based on half human half bug hybrids. There's a lot they could do with the concept of bugs. Just hearing insect noises in the dark, will freak many people out. Now taking that idea, and adding terrifying visuals such as arachnid-looking actors with large spider legs piercing out of their skin, and lots of effects like ankle ticklers, some hanging fish wire and webs, etc, and you have yourself one horrifying instectorium.

How cool would a FLY house be... think Cronenbergs 1986's version. That could be a good house...

• Like 1