HHN Hollywood 2014 Speculation

The teaser site says "can you survive the night?" Which is literally the tagline for The Purge material. It might as well have been announced, we just don't know in what capacity yet. It also doesn't officially say there will be more than 6 mazes, but it might as well have.

I know the purge is coming anyways but that could just be a coincidence

The official name of the maze is

The Walking Dead: The End of the Line

also it looks like the backlot experience might expand

"The engrossing cult favorite television series will seep into other parts of Universal's backlot, with predatory walkers prowling the secluded wooded areas of the movie studio."

Now that the initial shock of the announcement is out of the way, here are my thoughts on everything:

THE MAZE:

I'm glad TWD is coming back for more mayhem. In my opinion, the maze last year was just as strong as it's first year. If it was tired out or losing steam, then I'd say it was time to go, but it clearly has more material and insanity left to bring to the table for a maze. For example, NOES, F13, Saw, and even TCM were all clearly out of ideas on their second run throughs. And some of those same mazes struggled to find new ways to scare in their third iterations without returning to the well, which they all inevitably did. TWD on the other hand has brand new material every season, therefore we will never have that "return to the well" feeling. They can give a fresh brand new maze every year and still make it super charged and scary.

THE TERROR TRAM:

Okay, this is kinda annoying. Granted, TT was on its last legs before TWD, but this certainly IS returning to the well. Although I thought last year's TT was better than TWD's first TT, a lot of it was still repeated ground. I know there's not a lot of room to try with the TT and it's location, but hell, they could at least TRY with something new. Most likely we'd all bitch and complain that it would suck and still the same and what not, but at least I know they'd be trying with new ideas. Now, with a third year in a row of TWD, it's about time to start bitching and complaining again. TT can easily go back into the "ugh, not this attraction again" route that it used to be when it was plagued with the horrible Chucky and Scream trams (which both could've been good, they just weren't though).

SCAREZONE:

I'm indifferent about this. We've only had one year of a scare zone for TWD, so another year ain't so bad. Hopefully it won't be on the backlot, as I'd like to see something new down there, but if not, at least it's a good theme. My only hope is the backlot experience is expanded big time, since it felt more like a Terror Tram path/outdoor maze instead of a scareZONE. I would actually like to see it on the lower lot. Considering it's so crowded down there, the walkers would blend in so well. Lots of fog, TWD music blasting, a FEW PROPS (PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD) and TWD on the lower lot could be a big hit and help its problems.

Some more new from an article (which can be found in the maze discussion thread)

The maze WILL be on the backlot.

And the scare zone will be right in front of it. Whether or not it's part of the backlot experience is not mentioned (considering if the backlot experience IS expanded, it's possible there could be two sz's down there, right?)

Edited by DTH316

Hm... didn't even think of the Purge. Maybe he means specifically never before used maze properties.

Perhaps the Purge will just be another SZ. Maybe it could be a park wide thing. Like, we'll still have all the usual SZs but Purgers will storm through and eliminate everything. Nevermind, that's too cool of an idea to happen. :-/

Here's what the tweet said

There is MUCH more to come for HHN 2014 HOLLYWOOD, all of the maze properties to come HAVE NEVER BEEN FEATURED AT THE EVENT. Stay tuned...

It's definitely maze properties that have never been featured at the event before, so that probably does exclude the Purge from being a maze. Though the Purge could be a returning scare zone.

What happened to " the highest rated maze becomes the repeat" that's been happening year after year, but not with walking dead it wasn't the highest rated in 2013. Insidious should be back :(

Insidious is a movie so since last year's gates closed there is only the same 4 hours of material that was used for "Into The Further" no new material will exist till next year, and Walking Dead is a TV show and since last year about 22 hours of new material are now at Murdy's disposal which is the smart move to keep the event from becoming stale. Wait for more material so you don't get the exact same thing. That has been the problem with the #1 mazes repeating is no changes are made and this pattern of the #1 maze repeating was proven Bullsh*t last year because yes walking dead as a theme was used again but everything was 95% different from the previous year, and the #1 maze "Dead Inside" was not repeated "No Safe Haven" was 100% new material and was even in an entirely different location.

The Walking Dead is dead? have you been to a mall lately? And the "Fans" if you mean the people on Twitter and Facebook they do that every year no matter what the property is

"The Thing is dumb Im not scared of Aliens"

"El Cucuy I don't what that movie is... where's Freddy and Jason?"

you also warned us about that guy with Hockey mask at the lake and we didn't believe you.... all those dead teenagers....

• Like 5

I think this year has potential to be better than last year. IMO, the prison environment got kinda boring about half way through. This year, we start in the prison and go on the road! Should be lots of fun and lots of variety.

• Like 1

Grindhousehero13 rises from the grave and provides mega replies! Way to go Mr. Moderator. Just kidding. Hee Hee. The use of WD makes sense. I was interested if/how Insidious would be used but definitely not concerned with this mornings decision. The WD show has progressed well and has plenty of unique scenes and environments for HHN.

• Like 1

Waka Waka Waka = Walker Walker Walker... really. That is pretty terrible.

4-5 mazes will be based off of ips that haven't been featured in Hollywood? I find that a little hard to believe.

So now I have to change up my picks I guess.

The Teen Spirit clue has me really confused now. I thought it fit with TWD so well. What other movies are in Sean Penn's credits that have to do with poker and also has ties to a horror movie? Or did I pick the wrong high school movie?

I think this year has potential to be better than last year. IMO, the prison environment got kinda boring about half way through. This year, we start in the prison and go on the road! Should be lots of fun and lots of variety.

Yes I am very excited for this year more so then last they promise big things.

Honestly Murdy does not make these clues for us to solve them, most of the hints is based on his own knowledge.

he said maze properties so hence The Purge has not been a maze at Universal

When you think about it, it's not that hard for them to get 4-5 IP's that haven't been done before as mazes. An' it's incredibly easy if you take things in a carny trick. (eg, the Purge was never featured as a maze before)

I can't wait till AHS comes to HHN and blows WD out of the water. FREAKSHOW should be awesome.

That's only if things go smoothly between Hollywood and the creators of AHS, remember over in Orlando AHS was shelved due to creative differences. AHS was very firm on having particular scenes featured in the house, one's that Universal Orlando didn't want to do. The end result is plans for a AHS were shelved and Evil Dead took it's place.