Halloween Horror Nights (Hollywood) 2013 Speculation/Predictions

But what to do about the surrounding architecture? Mel's Diner and The Palace store are Art Deco style...why not start in a movie theatre...

I know that, i'm just wondering where the theatre facade is going to be. If it starts by Mel's (wow that facade is going up late) it could create serious bottle necking in the Universal Plaza entrance.

• Like 1

But that mindset is just going to kill their own enjoyment, so that's alright.

^That.

Personally, I really appreciate that Murdy & Co. are pulling lore from other cultures besides Anglo-European for the originals. I grew up here in CA, my bestie was Latina, but I'd never heard of El Cucuy prior to researching Pumpkin. I'd love to see something next year based on Asian lore like Ridesandstuff suggested!

• Like 1

All tv shows and movie center around white people nothing new its always been that way. They come from the most powerful and striving countries around the globe. So as a movie studio or producer your obviously gonna target people with the $ that's why batman isn't played by a Hispanic or Indian :o

I'd love to see this as a scene in an egyptian mythology maze

"When Ra wanted to punish mankind for ignoring the Gods, he sent the Lioness-headed Goddess (a variation says that she was created by the fire of Ra as a weapon of vengeance against humans), becoming the "Eye of Ra".

Once in land, the Goddess started a slaughter, killing men, women, and kids alike. Her blood thirst had no limits, and she almost extincted humankind. To stop her, the Gods tricked her. They flooded a field with Khakadi (a mix of beer and red color that looked like blood). The Goddess gorged herslef into it to drink, getting drunk and passing out."

• Like 1

Which brings up why the Fast and furious franchise is still a juggernaut even after the 6th film because of all the nationalities that are played in those films. Maybe that's why it isn't a bad idea that murdy and universal begins to tap into other cultures for horror ideas for mazes.

• Like 2

I'd love to see this as a scene in an egyptian mythology maze

"When Ra wanted to punish mankind for ignoring the Gods, he sent the Lioness-headed Goddess (a variation says that she was created by the fire of Ra as a weapon of vengeance against humans), becoming the "Eye of Ra".

Once in land, the Goddess started a slaughter, killing men, women, and kids alike. Her blood thirst had no limits, and she almost extincted humankind. To stop her, the Gods tricked her. They flooded a field with Khakadi (a mix of beer and red color that looked like blood). The Goddess gorged herslef into it to drink, getting drunk and passing out."

This is now on my top 5 wanted mazes haha.

• Like 3

An event in LA county, which has a 47% Hispanic population, does a mazes based on Hispanic folklore and then another since the first was very popular and it's pandering. Yet the weird thing is...I've never heard that any of the mazes that featured literally all white casts were pandering. Vampire and werewolves are part of European folklore, and HHN even brought in Figure (a white guy) to give the maze a soundtrack. I haven't seen Insidious 2, but there's probably not going to be anybody that isn't white (dead or alive) in that maze. Black Sabbath are all white English dudes and there's scenes based in Europe. TCM didn't have any non-white characters. Neither did Silent Hill. Neither did Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. Neither did Wolfman. Neither did HOTC. Neither did My Bloody Valentine. Neither did The Thing. Neither did Halloween. Neither did The Strangers. Neither did Chucky's Funhouse. I'm not sure of Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street did, but it doesn't look like it. Bill and Ted, which parodies mostly white majority TV shows and movies. Most of the characters that weren't white had their race be the center of the joke. Toyz was set in London. The Klownz go go dancers were white with long blonde hair. Witchez was set in a European village. Freakz was set in Paris. Zombieville was set in an English village. Hell, most scarezones are supposedly based in some European town.

But two mazes and a scarezone based on Mexican folklore and that's pandering. That seems weird to me, when the entire event has centered around IPs with all or mostly white characters and European or American folklore/settings since pretty much day one.

I don't entirely disagree with you. However, consider this- those "white" IPs are mainstream movies that appeal to and are watched by a variety of races. White, Black, Hispanic, or Asian, if you're in to horror, you PROBABLY know who Freddy Kruger is. Its different when you chose a cultural thing. The majority of people not part of that culture are probably not familiar with it. Thats not a bad thing, of course. I personally love to be exposed to new cultural things, but to say that doing mazes based on mainstream horror ips and iconography is pandering to whites is a bit disingenuous.

(also, just to throw it out there, La Llorona didn't have any more of a hispanic cast than any other maze.)

Edited by Trevler
  • Like 2

I found the Japanese equivalent of the boogyman yesterday...maybe we'll see that

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namahage

I'd really love to see an Egyptian or Greek mythological maze at some time. It's taught in most high schools and even some in Jr high. I would assume there's some classes in college as well.

Omg! Those poor Japanese kids!

"Happy New Year!" *cheers and all around merriment*

BAM! BAM! BAM!

*opens door to see three scary monsters on the front step brandishing swords*

"WE'VE COME FOR THE CHILDREN!! Are there any naughty ones around? heh heh heh"

"AAAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!! "

I can't help it if I don't want this to be over. :unsure:

So..... VIP experience. I'm serious, I don't know what it is. Someone want to enlighten me?

Bah, nvm. I'll Google it. =p

Quick question...how much is FOL?

I believe I paid $90 a pop last year and that was for a Sunday night, and VIPs were like 100 more? Someone plz confirm or correct, thx!

EDIT: I REALLY need to not take so long composing my posts sometimes. Lol

So, show speculation.... I thought I read a while back that Rocky Horror was coming back. Anyone remember hearing that?

No Rocky Horror.... there's nowhere to put it haha

The only available show area is Animal Actors Stage and maybe the Shrek theater.

They could possibly set up a small stage on the backlot for a small magic show or something.

Couldn't they use the shrek theatre for RHPS if they were to bring back that show? Doubt they will though... Wasn't it not very popular for the GP here? Edited by shark23