Halloween Horror Nights (Hollywood) 2013 Speculation/Predictions

We have an AMAZING line-up. To recap to anyone that doesn't know what the mazes/locations :

-Evil Dead:Book of the Dead (Behind the Mummy).

-The Walking Dead:No Safe Haven (Backlot).

-Black Sabbath 13 3D (SS 747).

-Insidious:Into the Further (JP Que).

-Universal Monsters Remix: Resurrection (HoH).

-El Cucuy: The Boogeyman (Parisian Square).

Edited by UniversalStudiosGeek
  • Like 1

I can not believed you guys predicted everything 100% I am supper astonished and proud ^.^ good stuff my friends good stuff

Got to admit i thought you guys were crazy when you said Black Sabbath was coming and then when you guys started predicting el Cucuy I thought you guys had all gone mad and I stopped reading the forums for awhile but now this just proved to me never to doubt you guys lol good sh*t :P

• Like 4

We have an AMAZING line-up. To recap to anyone that doesn't know what the mazes/locations :

-Evil Dead:Book of the Dead (Behind the Mummy).

-The Walking Dead:No Safe Haven (Backlot).

-Black Sabbath 13 3D (SS 747).

-Insidious:Into the Further (JP Que).

-Universal Monsters Remix: Resurrection (HoH).

-El Cucuy: The Boogeyman (Persian Square Parisian Courtyard ;)).

Adding known Scare Zones:

The Purge

Curse of Chucky

The Walking Dead

What about those piggy-men? uber-creepy! And hey, they can be war piggies this time! bada bing!

• Like 1

As someone who mostly just lurks this site, it's amazing how you guys correctly guess (or come really damn close) all the maze and scarezones before they are announced. I never would've thought Black Sabbath would be considered but a few weeks ago some of you were on top of it. I am impressed! If you guys correctly guess Cucuy then I will bow down to your supreme HHN foresight! :P

Thanks for giving me something interesting to read every night and I'm looking forward to attending again this year!

And here I am, bowing with grace. Well done guys!

• Like 1

"But what to do about the surrounding architecture? Mel's Diner and The Palace store are Art Deco style...why not start in a movie theatre..." That makes no sense to me.

"I came across a genre of horror, popular in Mexico in the 60's. Lucha Libre Films. Imagine the classic monster movies with wrestlers!" Murdy has not convinced me yet? I hope he says this won't have wrestlers in it...

Edit: I think he's mentioning that it will be a short film before entering the maze.

Edited by JGmoney1996

yeah, seriously. Once again lurking here and I noticed that 100% accuracy done by all of ya'll. Kinda fishy, what if its Murdy making multiple accounts on this site to leak out information secretly 0_o I'm pretty lukewarm about the houses, but they seem to be changing up some of the traditional experiences. Color me interested.

• Like 1

yeah, seriously. Once again lurking here and I noticed that 100% accuracy done by all of ya'll. Kinda fishy, what if its Murdy making multiple accounts on this site to leak out information secretly 0_o

Murdy Voice: he's onto me! Chris, the cats out of the bag hit the HHN self destruct button and head to the monster pods we are out here! cheese it!

• Like 2

I will fully forgive not having a 7th maze on 2 conditions:

1) We get Resident Evil

2) And we get to keep a soundstage maze.

I'm prepping my "that's a wrap" speech on speculation since things are finally coming to a close. I look forward to the "general discussion" thread! :) finally, no more guessing, just pure excitement for what's to come

• Like 1

"But what to do about the surrounding architecture? Mel's Diner and The Palace store are Art Deco style...why not start in a movie theatre..." That makes no sense to me.

"I came across a genre of horror, popular in Mexico in the 60's. Lucha Libre Films. Imagine the classic monster movies with wrestlers!" Murdy has not convinced me yet? I hope he says this won't have wrestlers in it...

Edit: I think he's mentioning that it will be a short film before entering the maze.

Found this when researching Cucuy :lol: Btw -"why not start in a movie theatre.." Huge hats off to DTH, Grindhouse, Ferox and anyone else that I forgot to mention (sorry!!) that called the theater part!! Excellent work, gentlemen!

• Like 2

I will fully forgive not having a 7th maze on 2 conditions:

1) We get Resident Evil

2) And we get to keep a soundstage maze.

I'm prepping my "that's a wrap" speech on speculation since things are finally coming to a close. I look forward to the "general discussion" thread! :) finally, no more guessing, just pure excitement for what's to come

I'll forgive them for not doing a seventh house if they up the quality of the event overall. Fewer if none blank walls, more shows, BETTER scarezones, improved Terror Tram, and no repeats. I also want them to wait on doing a seventh house until they have the funds to add one without doing a repeat.

• Like 1

yeah, seriously. Once again lurking here and I noticed that 100% accuracy done by all of ya'll. Kinda fishy, what if its Murdy making multiple accounts on this site to leak out information secretly 0_o I'm pretty lukewarm about the houses, but they seem to be changing up some of the traditional experiences. Color me interested.

Lmao I think this must be the highest compliment we've received to date!! So awesome.

• Like 1

Well to be fair, we got a lot of stuff wrong too. Just within all of the misses are enough hits to cover our bases.

Aw Ferox is too modest! Although we put a lot of speculation out there, it's not like we just throw random sh*t on the wall and see what sticks.. :P

Most of the spec is thoughtful, logical and ,ahem....., researched to death. ^_^

An event in LA county, which has a 47% Hispanic population, does a mazes based on Hispanic folklore and then another since the first was very popular and it's pandering. Yet the weird thing is...I've never heard that any of the mazes that featured literally all white casts were pandering. Vampire and werewolves are part of European folklore, and HHN even brought in Figure (a white guy) to give the maze a soundtrack. I haven't seen Insidious 2, but there's probably not going to be anybody that isn't white (dead or alive) in that maze. Black Sabbath are all white English dudes and there's scenes based in Europe. TCM didn't have any non-white characters. Neither did Silent Hill. Neither did Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. Neither did Wolfman. Neither did HOTC. Neither did My Bloody Valentine. Neither did The Thing. Neither did Halloween. Neither did The Strangers. Neither did Chucky's Funhouse. I'm not sure of Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street did, but it doesn't look like it. Bill and Ted, which parodies mostly white majority TV shows and movies. Most of the characters that weren't white had their race be the center of the joke. Toyz was set in London. The Klownz go go dancers were white with long blonde hair. Witchez was set in a European village. Freakz was set in Paris. Zombieville was set in an English village. Hell, most scarezones are supposedly based in some European town.

But two mazes and a scarezone based on Mexican folklore and that's pandering. That seems weird to me, when the entire event has centered around IPs with all or mostly white characters and European or American folklore/settings since pretty much day one.

Edited by ferox
  • Like 3

Here's Murdy's posts about El Cucuy from last night:

So...I can tell you a little bit about EL CUCUY...or I can let you sleep? Its your choice...what say you? Do you want to hear more???
Duérmete niño, duérmete ya... Que viene el Coco y te comerá (Sleep child, sleep now... Or else the Coco will come and eat you!")"
Every culture has a legend about "The Boogeyman." In Mexico...The Boogeyman has a name...they call him "El Cucuy"
No one really knows what El Cucuy looks like...no one who has ever gotten close to him has lived to tell the tale...
Some say he is a horrible monster with razor sharp teeth, others say he is a shadow, an evil spirit that can change forms....
They say he lives in a cave, high up in the hills and comes down to the villages at night...searching for disodedient children....
Of course, this was a story you were told as a child to get you to behave...now you are older you no longer believe in El Cucuy...
But maybe your parents knew something you did not, maybe there is something hiding in your closet...waiting...under your bed...
Maybe there's a good reason to be afraid of the dark....
OK...now here's the info. This is an original maze based on the legend of El Cucuy or as some know him El Coco...
We did La Llorona for two years (3 if you count the scare zone) and we wall felt it was time to move on...do something NEW...
I first came across the story of El Cucuy when I was doing research back in Jan. A shape shifting monster that eats children? Works for me!
I brought the story to Chris and then...I went on paternity leave. When I came back, I had a concept but Chris did one too...very different
So we compromised, we did half my concept and half of Chris' concept. Its being built right now...in 3 locations tied together...
The areas include the area in front of Mel's Diner, Parisian Courtyard and a building that used to house the Fear Factor Live Casting Center
Since the word "Coco" is an early term for what we call today "Jack O Lanterns." The code name for this maze was "Pumpkin"
Pumpkins play a role in the maze, so does something else I came across called "The Island of Dolls" I mean...El Cucuy must take souvenirs?
But what to do about the surrounding architecture? Mel's Diner and The Palace store are Art Deco style...why not start in a movie theatre...
I came across a genre of horror, popular in Mexico in the 60's. Lucha Libre Films. Imagine the classic monster movies with wrestlers!
So I made one called El Cucuy: The Boogeyman...its awful...I play the token American actor thrown into a foreign film. Dr. Albondigas
But don't worry, you won't see much of that film before the screaming starts...and the ripping...and tearing...and crying....and....
When I wrote El Cucuy...I was picturing Danny Trejo...so its amazing that Danny came on board to be our narrator...that was a fun session
Its late...and you need to go to sleep...still more to come...sleep tight...oh, and check the closet before you turn the lights off...#carny

An event in LA county, which has a 47% Hispanic population, does a mazes based on Hispanic folklore and then another since the first was very popular and it's pandering. Yet the weird thing is...I've never heard that any of the mazes that featured literally all white casts were pandering. Vampire and werewolves are part of European folklore, and HHN even brought in Figure (a white guy) to give the maze a soundtrack. I haven't seen Insidious 2, but there's probably not going to be anybody that isn't white (dead or alive) in that maze. Black Sabbath are all white English dudes and there's scenes based in Europe. TCM didn't have any non-white characters. Neither did Silent Hill. Neither did Alice Cooper Goes to Hell. Neither did Wolfman. Neither did HOTC. Neither did My Bloody Valentine. Neither did The Thing. Neither did Halloween. Neither did The Strangers. Neither did Chucky's Funhouse. I'm not sure of Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street did, but it doesn't look like it. Bill and Ted, which parodies mostly white majority TV shows and movies. Most of the characters that weren't white had their race be the center of the joke. Toyz was set in London. The Klownz go go dancers were white with long blonde hair. Witchez was set in a European village. Freakz was set in Paris. Zombieville was set in an English village. Hell, most scarezones are supposedly based in some European town.

But two mazes and a scarezone based on Mexican folklore and that's pandering. That seems weird to me, when the entire event has centered around IPs with all or mostly white characters and European or American folklore/settings since pretty much day one.

I like how your text got bigger as you went on- just like when someone is about to lose their cool and they start getting louder .. and louder... :P

Edit: Awww you fixed the font! Boooo!

Haha. Yeah it's this weird thing that happens with formatting sometimes. It goes from 12 to 14 when I edit something. Gotta figure out what's up with that.

I think a lot of white people are just really used to everything centering around us. It doesn't register that the characters have all been white and the settings are either North American or European so when the characters and settings people are Mexican people get weird about it. They start saying people sound like Speedy Gonzalez and make jokes about being sprayed down with raw milk from farm animals. But that mindset is just going to kill their own enjoyment, so that's alright.

• Like 1