Halloween Horror Nights (Hollywood) 2013 Speculation/Predictions

I don't entirely disagree with you. However, consider this- those "white" IPs are mainstream movies that appeal to and are watched by a variety of races. White, Black, Hispanic, or Asian, if you're in to horror, you PROBABLY know who Freddy Kruger is. Its different when you chose a cultural thing. The majority of people not part of that culture are probably not familiar with it. Thats not a bad thing, of course. I personally love to be exposed to new cultural things, but to say that doing mazes based on mainstream horror ips and iconography is pandering to whites is a bit disingenuous.

(also, just to throw it out there, La Llorona didn't have any more of a hispanic cast than any other maze.)

Well, I didn't say it was pandering to whites. I was saying that it wasn't called pandering to whites even though the characters and locations were centered around white American or European culture, and that's been the case for the vast majority of mazes, scarezones, and terror trams. The reason why it's not called pandering is that it's expected that everything is going to be centered around white people, people only say it's "pandering" when it's something out of the ordinary. Most mainstream horror doesn't focus on Latinos since across the country they make up 16 percent of the country. However in LA county, they make up 47%. The story of El Cucuy is as easily understandable as any original maze concept to anybody who doesn't get it already. "He's the boogeymn aand he's a shapeshifter." If any of these were actual issues, La Llorona would have been a bomb. However it did well the first year and got better reviews the second year. These concerns are about two years too late.

Without going into all of the mazes based on folklore, stories, and myths from mostly white culture Orlando has done...horror movies are something cultural. They are all products of their time and environment. The best known horror movies are relevant because of how they connected to the public consciousness. The most popular horror villains have at least allusions to folklore. Movies are modern forms of storytelling, so it makes sense to draw that bridge. Michael Myers was infamously called The Boogeyman in Halloween. In all of the NOES movies people doubt that Freddy Kruger is something other than a myth. Kids at Crystal Lake told campfire stories about the legend of Jason. Leatherface is a "tall tale" version of Ed Gein, effective to the point where people say TCM "really happened." All of horror movie history has been informed by centuries of European and American culture and tradition. It's easy to forget about that, the same way it's easy to overlook how the vast majority of mazes in HHN history have been minority free, despite the event taking place in an area where white people make up 6% more of the population than Latinos. It's not "pandering" to acknowledge the existence of Latino people, especially when the previous maze was a massive success with most people. Not just Latinos.

Oh a legend they say on a Valentine's day there's a curse that will live on and on...

At the end of the day, Latino folklore works for the event.

Edited by ferox
  • Like 1

Which brings up why the Fast and furious franchise is still a juggernaut even after the 6th film because of all the nationalities that are played in those films. Maybe that's why it isn't a bad idea that murdy and universal begins to tap into other cultures for horror ideas for mazes.

Does all of this talk mean we're gonna get Leprechaun in the hood?

• Like 2

Has anyone checked out the other element Murdy is incorporating into Cucuy, The Island of the Dolls? It's a real place in Mexico, and very creepy. Also kind of sad. Here's a collage of some of the more "interesting" dolls I found online.

isleofthedolls.png

I remember seeing this on a episode of Destination Truth, I would'nt call it creepy though I would go with extreamly disturbing this may be the scariest maze since TCM:BIB you know unless you're that idiot on twitter who thinks Murdy made up El Cucuy and La Lorrona and that spanish is a imaginary language like Elfish.

• Like 2

Why rule out Halloween imagery?

With French street being he area where El Cucuy is located, which has pumpkins, I think it'd be possible some Halloween-ish stuff could pop up to continue the theme.

Maybe French street will turn into a "little Mexico" and be a dark Dia De Los Muertos zone.

• Like 1