HHN 2012: Universal Monsters Remix

Grindhousehero13

As i've pointed out in the spec thread (WITH PICS), the Frankenstein house in 2009 had the Steampunk overlay and that worked... sort've. Saws N Steam last year did work well for a house, although it was less steampunky compared to Frankenstein.

Eitherway.... this house should seriously be Murdy's "baby" since he has a love of the classic monsters. I mean, the man has a "Monster Room" in his house. I doubt he'd create anything "meh".... :unsure:

I think everybody is kind of right and agree with Trev (as usual). This cobecpt has the potential to be really awesome (if they go for it) or really embarassing (if they half-ass it). I highly doubt it's just going to be the same exact maze with a dubstep loop but if that's the case - yawn. The thing about dubstep is, love it or hate it, it does have an inherently "scary" sound to it. I have high hopes for the soundtrack - Murdy was very successful in turning Alice Cooper music into what was basically a "horror film soundtrack" last year in WTMN (it was one of the most enjoyable elements to the maze for me) and I assume that he will do something similar here. Think of classic horror themes mashed up/remixed with intense throbbing electronic craziness. I think that could be really amazing and even though I am not a huge dubstep fan that is something I would probably dig - in or out of a maze setting. A lot of electronic music can be pretty unsettling (Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy springs to mind) and I think if handled correctly the musical element will be stellar. If they really go for the gusto and reimagine the classic monsters in a kick ass new school way this could easily be the best HoH overlay ever. Especially considering the theme already lends itself to the environments so it won't seem forced in there (like most HoH overlays past).

House of Horrors + way more gore + reimagined classic monsters + intense soundtrack = potentially really sick.

Also, I don't really expect there to be a steampunk element to this. That wouldn't fit the theme or musical choice. Cyberpunk perhaps. A splatterpunk take on old school mosters is what I would hope for though. That would be right on the nose.

I'm not gonna knock it too much until I try it. I think in one way, I'm relieved and happy that the Universal Monsters are still gonna be there and they're doing something different with it for the 100 year anniversary. In other way, I'm kinda tired of the new generation of music and horror movies....or everything for that matter. I mean why is Dubstep getting so popular these days?

I highly doubt it's just going to be the same exact maze with a dubstep loop but if that's the case - yawn. The thing about dubstep is, love it or hate it, it does have an inherently "scary" sound to it. I have high hopes for the soundtrack - Murdy was very successful in turning Alice Cooper music into what was basically a "horror film soundtrack" last year in WTMN (it was one of the most enjoyable elements to the maze for me) and I assume that he will do something similar here. Think of classic horror themes mashed up/remixed with intense throbbing electronic craziness. I think that could be really amazing and even though I am not a huge dubstep fan that is something I would probably dig - in or out of a maze setting. A lot of electronic music can be pretty unsettling (Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy springs to mind) and I think if handled correctly the musical element will be stellar. If they really go for the gusto and reimagine the classic monsters in a kick ass new school way this could easily be the best HoH overlay ever. Especially considering the theme already lends itself to the environments so it won't seem forced in there (like most HoH overlays past).

House of Horrors + way more gore + reimagined classic monsters + intense soundtrack = potentially really sick.

Cyberpunk perhaps. A splatterpunk take on old school mosters is what I would hope for though. That would be right on the nose.

thank you more people who see it with open eyes.

and you are right on with the Alice Cooper refrence I for one didnt care for and boarderline hated Alice Cooper last year, I thought everything about him was cheesy and hokey, and seeing a maze venue wasted on him was a heartbreak to me, but after going threw Welcome to my nightmare I dug the maze and gained a liking from ol Grandpa Alice.

Dubstep and Electronic music like Mike Murder said can be realy dark hell the music video for Skrillex's "First Of The Year" has The Urban legend monster Slenderman tormenting a pedophile.

point is dont knock it yet and if end up going threw and not liking it oh well its just another HOH overlay.

I don't know..I'm kind of on the fence about this one. On one hand it could be really, really great. On the other, it's a complete disaster. I'm waiting to see how it will turn out, but I'm not holding high expectations for it. Honestly... we should all be jumping up and down that they are trying something new and not trying to force a property, that could very well be it's own maze outside HOH, to work in HOH, ex: Chucky, Vampyre, Wolfman.

Oh and... Is it only me, or does this maze feel like Hollywood's first HHNO-esque maze? I was honestly surprised when it was announced for Hollywood. If it was announced at Orlando instead, I would have been less surprised.

Is everyone on this forum like, 45 and totally square btw? There seems to be a common theme of "these kids and their dubstep. why is this popular? it just sounds like noise to me". I have no particularly great love for dubstep but some of it is pretty cool and shouldn't be knocked just due to it's "popularity with the kids". I also don't agree with sentiments to the effect of "this type of music will never work in a maze". How do you know? Again I point to WTMN - what is basically a disco album with some creepy elements was turned into an effective horror soundtrack in that maze. I have been in mazes where "happy" sounding 40s swing music was used almost entirely - in the context of the theme it was very unsettling and worked really well.

Also, you don't need a front of the line pass to enjoy this maze. Just hit it last - on your way out of the park. That's what I have done every year and I've never waited more than 5 minutes in line.

And Grind - preach on brotha! You feel me! :)

^I really don't like dubstep. I'm more of a rock/punk-rock fan, but I can see how dubstep will work in a maze. The only thing I hope for is that the music matches the characters. The regular HOH daytime costumes with dubstep won't be scary. But if they come up with some insane aggressive type costumes to match the music, I will be in HOH's Heaven, I swear. :D

Is everyone on this forum like, 45 and totally square btw? There seems to be a common theme of "these kids and their dubstep. why is this popular? it just sounds like noise to me".

Dont get me wrong, I like the music, just like I like all types of music. My gripe is how some kids will ruin the mood by acting ridiculous, in the maze and possibly ruining the experience. It is also so hypocritical of how as a scareactor we are told, don't talk, don't take pictures with guests, because it ruins the horror atmosphere. But having club type music blaring (which I love by the way) and creating a party atmosphere is OK. I guess it will definately be a wait and see type of situation. It seemed to work when other haunts did the whole "Club Vampire" thing, but I really don't see it working with the Universal Monsters. here's hoping I'm wrong.

Is everyone on this forum like, 45 and totally square btw? There seems to be a common theme of "these kids and their dubstep. why is this popular? it just sounds like noise to me". I have no particularly great love for dubstep but some of it is pretty cool and shouldn't be knocked just due to it's "popularity with the kids". I also don't agree with sentiments to the effect of "this type of music will never work in a maze". How do you know? Again I point to WTMN - what is basically a disco album with some creepy elements was turned into an effective horror soundtrack in that maze. I have been in mazes where "happy" sounding 40s swing music was used almost entirely - in the context of the theme it was very unsettling and worked really well.

Also, you don't need a front of the line pass to enjoy this maze. Just hit it last - on your way out of the park. That's what I have done every year and I've never waited more than 5 minutes in line.

im nowhere near a square lol. I actually go to alot of events "raves" i enjoy dubstep there and there ONLY because its an Electronic Music Festival. When i think of HHN i think of Horror,Gore,Monsters. not dubstep honestly i hope this maze keeps the hipsters in line meanwhile i go on every other maze atleast twice :P

Oh and... Is it only me, or does this maze feel like Hollywood's first HHNO-esque maze? I was honestly surprised when it was announced for Hollywood. If it was announced at Orlando instead, I would have been less surprised.

yeah I feel the same way

I was about to say the same thing I was waiting for someone to then say "pick up your tight pants and get off my lawn" everyones is my grandpa all of a sudden.

^I really don't like dubstep. I'm more of a rock/punk-rock fan, but I can see how dubstep will work in a maze. The only thing I hope for is that the music matches the characters. The regular HOH daytime costumes with dubstep won't be scary. But if they come up with some insane aggressive type costumes to match the music, I will be in HOH's Heaven, I swear. :D

like I been saying IDK where everone is jumping on this "its gonna be just reguler 20's monsters with dubstep playing" train at but I never seen som much with just a logo and vauge description.

Is it me, or does it seem like murdy is afraid to announce this on twitter...

he says he's been with his wife and Fb has been annoucing stuff before he does.

honestly i hope this maze keeps the hipsters in line meanwhile i go on every other maze atleast twice :P

Fact Hipster hate dubstep unless there is a Foster the People Maze this won't be a hipster vortex.

I also lie how everyone from the orlando side of HNN is digging this maze but only a few of us on hollywood side are not griping about it.

Over on Bloody Disgusting they do have a article which does explain a little more.

"Universal’s infamous legacy of horror will come to an afterlife in “Universal Monsters Remix,” an all-new terrifying experience that re-imagines the classic horror icons of yesteryear for the 21st century and immerses them in the twisted confines of electronica-inspired music during “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood.

Set within the antechambers of an eerily gothic castle, the new “Universal Monsters Remix” maze will unleash a cast of movies most legendary creatures, including Frankenstein’s Monster and his Bride, Dracula and his Brides, Phantom of the Opera and The Wolf Man. From deep within the stone fortress, accompanied by ominous strobe lighting effects, guests will traverse dark and dank arteries of rotting catacombs, hallowed underground crypts and pagan sacrificial burial chambers. Laced with the murmur of dialog from Universal’s catalogue of horror films, guests will be besieged by the relentless sounds of high-energy, horror-inspired dance, dub-step and industrial music."

Judging from the article, I'm very curious to see if there's any major changes to the HoH since they've already got rooms for all the characters listed. I know there's more characters, but sadly it won't be surprising if it's mostly just a change in lighting, music and costumes.

For me, this will either be the dark horse, or the Undertaker. As Trevler said, there will be no in between.

I am curious to see how this pan out, really curious to read first reviews for this,

I personally despise dubstep, I think is the most annoying music I've ever heard, I don't understand why it is so famous, and I am not old either, I love metal, I do listen to music people consider noise,

but I dont get Dubstep, sounds like a fax machine with a beat, like a frosty machine, I am even okay with techno, I am okay with Djs and remixes of other songs, but Dubstep sounds like noise to me, I guess I can't ever find a rhythm, or any notes, it is just those weird machine noises,

first Korn made a Dubstep CD which was awful, then Rob Zombie now is making a Dubstep cd as well, I don't get it

Edited by black mask

Over on Bloody Disgusting they do have a article which does explain a little more.

Judging from the article, I'm very curious to see if there's any major changes to the HoH since they've already got rooms for all the characters listed. I know there's more characters, but sadly it won't be surprising if it's mostly just a change in lighting, music and costumes.

For me, this will either be the dark horse, or the Undertaker. As Trevler said, there will be no in between.

its sounds like I may be right with the cyberpunk, cyber goth feel

and to everyone else its not the whole your old that why you dont love dubstep, its if people like me who hated Alice Cooper and gave it a shot and loved the maze why are we condeming it before we even know alot about it?

Mostly I'm just saying that everyone seems to be making too much of a stink about the music. No one is going to go in a maze based solely on it's soundtrack (although, this was pretty much the best reason to ever go through the Doll Factory maze at Knott's - mediocre maze with KILLER sound design). Stop thinking of this as the "dubstep maze" and start thinking of it as the "cool updated Universal Mosters maze". The music (despite Murdy's clues) is supplementary - like the icing on the cake. Pretty sure all signs point to this maze being chock full of gore, horror and monsters and yes, some dubstep - but these concepts are not mutually exclusive by any means.

Sorry to disappoint you. No rants from me. But I will say this......

...................................................................................................

..................................................................................................

............................................................ it should've been Jaws.

• Like 2